General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: What really is Anti-semitism

Started by DEBBEE1023 · · Last activity · 55 posts · 1,403 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
1 March 2004
Last activity
5 March 2004
Original author
DEBBEE1023
Posts
55
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,403
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 55
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. << Actually I suspect she shares some of Debbee's and Jan's opinion of
    Jews. Sad that. >>

    Gosh, Rich, can you tell me why some people of a certain religious group were
    chanting trashy words in front of a theatre showing "The Passion"?

    Yep, sad, that.....some of these people at the theatre were yelling bigotry at
    the top of their lungs with regard to the film......wouldn't it have been just
    better not to call attention to themselves, and let it go, and allow Gibson to
    have freedom of expression?

    "If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you may as well dance." (Jessie Winchester).

  2. On 01 Mar 2004 23:50:50 GMT, [email hidden] (DEBBEE1023)

    Quoted message said:

    << Actually I suspect she shares some of Debbee's and Jan's opinion of
    Jews. Sad that. >>

    Gosh, Rich, can you tell me why some people of a certain religious group were
    chanting trashy words in front of a theatre showing "The Passion"?

    I don't know.

    Quoted message said:


    Yep, sad, that.....some of these people at the theatre were yelling bigotry at
    the top of their lungs with regard to the film......wouldn't it have been just
    better not to call attention to themselves, and let it go, and allow Gibson to
    have freedom of expression?

    Why cannot the protesters express their opinions?? You seem to only be
    interested in protecting the speech of those with whom you agree.

    Aloha,

    Rich

    Quoted message said:

    "If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you may as well dance." (Jessie Winchester).

    -------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------

    The best defense to logic is ignorance

  3. <<
    Why cannot the protesters express their opinions?? You seem to only be
    interested in protecting the speech of those with whom you agree.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Wow.....you don't get it...why are those protestors protesting way too much
    about this film? What do you suppose is in this film that they are all so
    worried about?

    I don't care that they are protesting, but I do find it amusing, that they are
    protesting this film in particular....

    "If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you may as well dance." (Jessie Winchester).

  4. On 02 Mar 2004 03:06:59 GMT, [email hidden] (DEBBEE1023)

    Quoted message said:

    <<
    Why cannot the protesters express their opinions?? You seem to only be
    interested in protecting the speech of those with whom you agree.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Wow.....you don't get it...why are those protestors protesting way too much
    about this film?

    I don't know. Why don't you ask them. Maybe they don't like the fact
    that Gibson is making millions by exploiting the crucifixion of
    Christ. Gibson is a marketing genius. Maybe he hired the protesters to
    stir up more controversy. You know, the more controversy the more
    sales.

    Quoted message said:

    What do you suppose is in this film that they are all so
    worried about?

    I don't know. See above. I have not seen the film nor do I plan to.

    Quoted message said:


    I don't care that they are protesting, but I do find it amusing, that they are
    protesting this film in particular....

    Why do you find it amusing?? I find it curious that millions of
    dollars are being spent by people to watch some actor reenact the
    beating, torture and crucifixion of Jesus Christ. From what I hear
    the violence is very graphic and unrelenting. I have no interest in
    seeing this.

    Aloha,

    Rich

    -------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------

    The best defense to logic is ignorance

  5. << I don't know. Why don't you ask them. Maybe they don't like the fact
    that Gibson is making millions by exploiting the crucifixion of
    Christ. Gibson is a marketing genius. Maybe he hired the protesters to
    stir up more controversy. You know, the more controversy the more
    sales. >>
    I think you might enjoy and understand what I am trying to say here, from a
    Rabbi himself..
    http://1stholistic.com/Reading/prose/A2004/liv_why-mel-owes-one-to-the-je
    ws.htm

  6. On 02 Mar 2004 03:18:27 GMT, [email hidden] (DEBBEE1023)

    Quoted message said:

    << I don't know. Why don't you ask them. Maybe they don't like the fact
    that Gibson is making millions by exploiting the crucifixion of
    Christ. Gibson is a marketing genius. Maybe he hired the protesters to
    stir up more controversy. You know, the more controversy the more
    sales. >>
    I think you might enjoy and understand what I am trying to say here, from a
    Rabbi himself..

    You asked a question Debbee.Now you are suggesting that you were
    trying to say something and you cannot even put it in your own words.

    Why don't you, instead of posting a link, try to say in your own words
    what you are trying to say. This is after all a discussion group. Are
    you aware of the difficulty that you have in communicating to others?

    YOu ask a question why protesters are protesting the film. Then you
    post some article for me to understand what you are trying to say. I
    hope that you communicate a bit better in your personal life than you
    do here.

    Aloha,

    Rich

    Quoted message said:

    -------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------

    The best defense to logic is ignorance

  7. "DEBBEE1023" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    <<
    Why cannot the protesters express their opinions?? You seem to only be
    interested in protecting the speech of those with whom you agree.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Wow.....you don't get it...why are those protestors protesting way too


    much

    Quoted message said:

    about this film? What do you suppose is in this film that they are all so
    worried about?

    I don't care that they are protesting, but I do find it amusing, that they


    are

    Quoted message said:

    protesting this film in particular....


    ===================
    I don't know if I understand the protesters completely (we don't seem to
    have protesters in our area to talk with). I think they may be reacting to
    a preconceived fear that they may be looked upon in a negative light because
    of the film. I certainly have not observed that from anyone who has seen
    the movie. It was not about them. It was about the Passion (suffering)
    which Jesus endured for all of our sins. I do hope that the protesters come
    to understand that 'resentment' is not what people come away with. More a
    deeper sense of peace.......

    Coleah

  8. "Coleah" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:9mX0c.437684$I06.4939924@attbi_s01...

    Quoted message said:


    "DEBBEE1023" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    <<
    Why cannot the protesters express their opinions?? You seem to only be
    interested in protecting the speech of those with whom you agree.

    Quoted message said:

    >

    Wow.....you don't get it...why are those protestors protesting way too


    much

    Quoted message said:

    about this film? What do you suppose is in this film that they are all


    so

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    worried about?

    I don't care that they are protesting, but I do find it amusing, that


    they

    Quoted message said:

    are

    Quoted message said:

    protesting this film in particular....


    ===================
    I don't know if I understand the protesters completely (we don't seem to
    have protesters in our area to talk with). I think they may be reacting


    to

    Quoted message said:

    a preconceived fear that they may be looked upon in a negative light


    because

    Quoted message said:

    of the film. I certainly have not observed that from anyone who has seen
    the movie. It was not about them. It was about the Passion (suffering)
    which Jesus endured for all of our sins. I do hope that the protesters


    come

    Quoted message said:

    to understand that 'resentment' is not what people come away with. More a
    deeper sense of peace.......

    Coleah

    Not about "them"?! The Jews in this movie are portrayed as hateful,
    sadistic, and cruel in just about every scene. I can't see how watching this
    splatter-flick can endow anyone with a "deeper sense of peace."

    --Rich

  9. Rich Shewmaker said:


    "Coleah" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:9mX0c.437684$I06.4939924@attbi_s01...

    Quoted message said:

    It was about the Passion (suffering)
    which Jesus endured for all of our sins. I do hope that the protesters


    come

    Quoted message said:

    to understand that 'resentment' is not what people come away with. More a
    deeper sense of peace.......

    Coleah

    Not about "them"?! The Jews in this movie are portrayed as hateful,
    sadistic, and cruel in just about every scene. I can't see how watching this
    splatter-flick can endow anyone with a "deeper sense of peace."

    --Rich

    I have not seen the movie nor care to. Are ALL the Jews in the movie
    shown to be hateful, sadistic and cruel?? Or just some of the Jews??

    In any case there are movies about WWII that show the Germans to be
    sadistic, cruel in nearly every scene. Does this mean that the movies
    are anti-German??

    I think it important to understand that we cannot generalize from the
    behavior of a few people to a group as a whole.

    That being said I suspect that this movie, based upon what I have
    read, may serve to inflame those who already are anti-semitic. However
    I question whether it will cause those who are not anti-semitic to
    become anti-semitic.

    For example someone like Debbee and Jan will watch the movie and it
    will reinforce their anti-semitism (which they deny). However I
    suspect that you Rich did not develop a hatred for Jews based upon
    what you saw.

    Aloha,

    Rich

    Quoted message said:

    -------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------

    The best defense to logic is ignorance

  10. "Rich Shewmaker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Coleah" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:9mX0c.437684$I06.4939924@attbi_s01...

    Quoted message said:


    "DEBBEE1023" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    <<
    Why cannot the protesters express their opinions?? You seem to only be
    interested in protecting the speech of those with whom you agree.
    >>

    Wow.....you don't get it...why are those protestors protesting way too


    much

    Quoted message said:

    about this film? What do you suppose is in this film that they are


    all

    Quoted message said:

    so

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    worried about?

    I don't care that they are protesting, but I do find it amusing, that


    they

    Quoted message said:

    are

    Quoted message said:

    protesting this film in particular....


    ===================
    I don't know if I understand the protesters completely (we don't seem to
    have protesters in our area to talk with). I think they may be reacting


    to

    Quoted message said:

    a preconceived fear that they may be looked upon in a negative light


    because

    Quoted message said:

    of the film. I certainly have not observed that from anyone who has


    seen

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the movie. It was not about them. It was about the Passion (suffering)
    which Jesus endured for all of our sins. I do hope that the protesters


    come

    Quoted message said:

    to understand that 'resentment' is not what people come away with. More


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    deeper sense of peace.......

    Coleah

    =====================

    Quoted message said:

    Not about "them"?! The Jews in this movie are portrayed as hateful,
    sadistic, and cruel in just about every scene. I can't see how watching


    this

    Quoted message said:

    splatter-flick can endow anyone with a "deeper sense of peace."

    --Rich


    =================================

    Yes, Mr. Shewmaker, there were Jews portrayed in the movie, but no, the
    movie was not a focus about 'them'. It is focused on Jesus. When I say a
    "deeper sense of peace", I really mean that. The suffering Jesus went
    through was in payment of our sins. For me that was one of the messages I
    'more deeply felt' after seeing the movie.

    Jesus serves as a personal example in my life of forgiveness. Forgiveness
    for others who have hurt or harmed me (not necessarily physically, but
    mentally, emotionally, financially perhaps). When Jesus spoke the words,
    "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do," there was not one
    ounce of hate, sadistic or cruel wishes from Jesus toward anyone involved
    in his death. Not the Jews who encouraged the sentence, nor the Romans who
    carried it out. He had no desire that they should be severely punished.
    Just love for them. That's all.

    Love at that level is the peace I spoke of.

    During the movie the image of Satan moves rather silently about in different
    scenes (like unto a floating darkness of soul/spirit). The provoker of
    hate, sadism and cruel behavior. Like an invisible evil permeating the air.
    Satan of course is not visually seen by people, but felt when the invisible
    presence is there.

    This 'evil' was not the Jewish or Roman people of the time. The evil was
    Satan. Satan who took over their hearts and minds. That's what Jesus meant
    by 'they know not what they do'. He knew it wasn't 'them' doing the hurtful
    deeds; it was Satan playing with them. How did Satan get inside of them?
    Our human 'opening' for Satan is our feeling of great fear and doubt.

    The Jewish priests had much fear and doubt regarding Jesus, and then in
    walked Satan. He planted the seed of evil about how to deal with this
    'threat' to them. Alone each and every human being is pure love. That's
    all. Pure love. Can't help it, we were born that way. But given an
    opening, Satan will jump right on board to add evil to the mix of our fears
    and doubts. Seems like one of the most used phrases in the Bible is 'fear
    not'. Have we wondered why?

    So, the reinforcement for me after seeing the movie was indeed a deeper
    sense of peace (and love for mankind) inside. The kind of peace that
    extends to all the beautiful people who may fear or doubt who I am. Just as
    people did Jesus. I understand what that phrase, "they know not what they
    do' means if people are overtaken (with fear or doubt) to write abrasive
    responses, doubting questions or snide comments.

    If I open my heart, mind and soul up for Jesus to occupy, it blocks me from
    letting Satan's evil creep inside me. Thus preventing me from getting
    sucked into nasty pissing matches with truly beautiful people. Being human,
    and an ongoing 'practicing' Christian, I can and have gotten sucked in.
    The lesson for me is to pull myself 'out' and get back to dealing with
    peoples fears and doubts in a more loving way.

    I am in no way a 'religious fanatic' as those with whom I have butted heads
    with in the midst of an 'evil spirit' overtaking can attest to.

    I hope this assists, Rich.
    I would invite everyone to view the movie and share what they come away with
    from the experience.

    Best,
    Coleah

  11. On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 19:27:50 GMT, "Coleah" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    The suffering Jesus went
    through was in payment of our sins.

    Your opinion based upon faith and nothing else. There is no factual
    basis to believe that Jesus died for our sins.

    And if it is true that Jesus did die for our sins and if he did not
    die for our sins then we would not be able to be saved, why was it bad
    that he was killed in that way??? Seems to me that the entire basis of
    Christianity is based upon the belief that Jesus died for our sins. If
    he did not truly die for our sins then it makes no sense to be
    Christian; may just as well be Jewish.

    Quoted message said:

    Jesus serves as a personal example in my life of forgiveness. Forgiveness
    for others who have hurt or harmed me (not necessarily physically, but
    mentally, emotionally, financially perhaps). When Jesus spoke the words,
    "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do," there was not one
    ounce of hate, sadistic or cruel wishes from Jesus toward anyone involved
    in his death. Not the Jews who encouraged the sentence, nor the Romans who
    carried it out. He had no desire that they should be severely punished.
    Just love for them. That's all.

    So should we not prosecute people who are accused of murder and just
    love them instead?? Lord have mercy!!

    Quoted message said:

    This 'evil' was not the Jewish or Roman people of the time. The evil was
    Satan.

    If you say that the evil was Satan then you take responsibility away
    from the *humans* who perpetrated the action. I personally think that
    people must take responsibility for their behavior and not rationalize
    it by saying "The Devil made me do it"; free will and all that.

    Quoted message said:

    Satan who took over their hearts and minds. That's what Jesus meant
    by 'they know not what they do'. He knew it wasn't 'them' doing the hurtful
    deeds; it was Satan playing with them.

    Maybe Jesus believed this. I sure don't.

    Quoted message said:

    How did Satan get inside of them?

    Assumes facts not in evidence. There is no objective proof that Satan
    exists. Satan may just be a creation of man to rationalize bad
    behavior.

    <snip Satanic references>

    Aloha,

    Rich

    Quoted message said:

    -------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------

    The best defense to logic is ignorance

  12. Quoted message said:

    Subject: Re: What really is Anti-semitism
    From: "Coleah" [email hidden]
    Date: 3/2/2004 11:27 AM Pacific Standard Time
    Message-id: <We51c.100999$Xp.434099@attbi_s54>

    Very well said, Coleah.

    From the interviews with Mel Gibson, I believe what you have described is his
    focus.

    History can't be changed, this is what happened, we know those who killed
    Jesus were hateful, sadistic and cruel. I am going to see it on Sunday, I am
    looking forward to it.

    Jan

    Quoted message said:

    "Rich Shewmaker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Coleah" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:9mX0c.437684$I06.4939924@attbi_s01...

    Quoted message said:


    "DEBBEE1023" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > <<
    > Why cannot the protesters express their opinions?? You seem to only be
    > interested in protecting the speech of those with whom you agree.
    > >>
    >
    > Wow.....you don't get it...why are those protestors protesting way too
    much
    > about this film? What do you suppose is in this film that they are


    all

    Quoted message said:

    so

    Quoted message said:

    > worried about?
    >
    > I don't care that they are protesting, but I do find it amusing, that


    they

    Quoted message said:

    are
    > protesting this film in particular....
    ===================
    I don't know if I understand the protesters completely (we don't seem to
    have protesters in our area to talk with). I think they may be reacting


    to

    Quoted message said:

    a preconceived fear that they may be looked upon in a negative light


    because

    Quoted message said:

    of the film. I certainly have not observed that from anyone who has


    seen

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the movie. It was not about them. It was about the Passion (suffering)
    which Jesus endured for all of our sins. I do hope that the protesters


    come

    Quoted message said:

    to understand that 'resentment' is not what people come away with. More


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    deeper sense of peace.......

    Coleah

    =====================

    Quoted message said:

    Not about "them"?! The Jews in this movie are portrayed as hateful,
    sadistic, and cruel in just about every scene. I can't see how watching


    this

    Quoted message said:

    splatter-flick can endow anyone with a "deeper sense of peace."

    --Rich


    =================================

    Yes, Mr. Shewmaker, there were Jews portrayed in the movie, but no, the
    movie was not a focus about 'them'. It is focused on Jesus. When I say a
    "deeper sense of peace", I really mean that. The suffering Jesus went
    through was in payment of our sins. For me that was one of the messages I
    'more deeply felt' after seeing the movie.

    Jesus serves as a personal example in my life of forgiveness. Forgiveness
    for others who have hurt or harmed me (not necessarily physically, but
    mentally, emotionally, financially perhaps). When Jesus spoke the words,
    "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do," there was not one
    ounce of hate, sadistic or cruel wishes from Jesus toward anyone involved
    in his death. Not the Jews who encouraged the sentence, nor the Romans who
    carried it out. He had no desire that they should be severely punished.
    Just love for them. That's all.

    Love at that level is the peace I spoke of.

    During the movie the image of Satan moves rather silently about in different
    scenes (like unto a floating darkness of soul/spirit). The provoker of
    hate, sadism and cruel behavior. Like an invisible evil permeating the air.
    Satan of course is not visually seen by people, but felt when the invisible
    presence is there.

    This 'evil' was not the Jewish or Roman people of the time. The evil was
    Satan. Satan who took over their hearts and minds. That's what Jesus meant
    by 'they know not what they do'. He knew it wasn't 'them' doing the hurtful
    deeds; it was Satan playing with them. How did Satan get inside of them?
    Our human 'opening' for Satan is our feeling of great fear and doubt.

    The Jewish priests had much fear and doubt regarding Jesus, and then in
    walked Satan. He planted the seed of evil about how to deal with this
    'threat' to them. Alone each and every human being is pure love. That's
    all. Pure love. Can't help it, we were born that way. But given an
    opening, Satan will jump right on board to add evil to the mix of our fears
    and doubts. Seems like one of the most used phrases in the Bible is 'fear
    not'. Have we wondered why?

    So, the reinforcement for me after seeing the movie was indeed a deeper
    sense of peace (and love for mankind) inside. The kind of peace that
    extends to all the beautiful people who may fear or doubt who I am. Just as
    people did Jesus. I understand what that phrase, "they know not what they
    do' means if people are overtaken (with fear or doubt) to write abrasive
    responses, doubting questions or snide comments.

    If I open my heart, mind and soul up for Jesus to occupy, it blocks me from
    letting Satan's evil creep inside me. Thus preventing me from getting
    sucked into nasty pissing matches with truly beautiful people. Being human,
    and an ongoing 'practicing' Christian, I can and have gotten sucked in.
    The lesson for me is to pull myself 'out' and get back to dealing with
    peoples fears and doubts in a more loving way.

    I am in no way a 'religious fanatic' as those with whom I have butted heads
    with in the midst of an 'evil spirit' overtaking can attest to.

    I hope this assists, Rich.
    I would invite everyone to view the movie and share what they come away with
    from the experience.

    Best,
    Coleah

  13. (Jan) said:
    Quoted message said:

    Subject: Re: What really is Anti-semitism
    From: "Coleah" [email hidden]
    Date: 3/2/2004 11:27 AM Pacific Standard Time
    Message-id: <We51c.100999$Xp.434099@attbi_s54>

    Very well said, Coleah.

    From the interviews with Mel Gibson, I believe what you have described is his
    focus.

    History can't be changed, this is what happened, we know those who killed
    Jesus were hateful, sadistic and cruel.

    I guess Jan disagrees with Jesus who did not think that what they did
    was hateful sadistic or cruel. After all Jesus told his father that
    they don't know what they are doing.

    YOu obviously did not even understand what Coleah said since you
    don't agree with her that it was Satan who killed Jesus and was
    hateful, sadistic and cruel and not the Jews nor Romans.

    Jan's hatred of Jews gets in the way of her being able to not judge
    others (Especially Jews).

    So Jan apparently not only disagrees with Jesus about whether those
    who killed Jesus were hateful, sadistic or cruel but also disagrees
    with Jesus about the importance of not judging others.

    Sad that.

    Aloha,

    Rich

    -------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------

    The best defense to logic is ignorance

  14. "DEBBEE1023" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    << Actually I suspect she shares some of Debbee's and Jan's opinion of
    Jews. Sad that. >>

    Gosh, Rich, can you tell me why some people of a certain religious group


    were

    Quoted message said:

    chanting trashy words in front of a theatre showing "The Passion"?

    Yep, sad, that.....some of these people at the theatre were yelling


    bigotry at

    Quoted message said:

    the top of their lungs with regard to the film......wouldn't it have been


    just

    Quoted message said:

    better not to call attention to themselves, and let it go,

    No, it would not. The Rev. John T. Pawlikowski, President, The International
    Council of Christians & Jews, and on staff at Catholic Theological Union,
    Chicago, had this to say about this movie:

    "Our team of Catholic scholars has agreed unanimously that the script
    of Mel Gibson's film, The Passion of the Christ , presented one of
    the most potentially anti-Jewish interpretations of Jesus' death that
    we had encountered in our many years of constructive engagement in
    the Christian -Jewish dialogue."

    .. . .

    "Particularly disturbing is the way Mr. Gibson has manipulated the use
    of Matthew 27:25, the infamous blood libel charge through which the
    Jewish leader supposedly called a curse upon all future generations
    of Jews.

    This text has been used over the centuries by Christians to keep Jews
    miserable and marginal in society and at times even to justify their
    death.Mr. Gibson included this questionable text in his original
    script, deleted it because he claimed Jews would have his throat, put
    it back and now suggests it may be removed in the final version. Such
    insensitivity to how much suffering this text has caused Jews over
    the centuries is deeply disturbing."

    I do not expect you to "get it" but I post these words to refute your
    bigotry.

    and allow Gibson to

    Quoted message said:

    have freedom of expression?

    Gibson has his freedom of expression, and the protestors are exercising
    theirs. You have had this explained to you a gadzillion times. Are you
    really that stupid? (Rhetorical question.)

  15. <Rich.@.> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Rich Shewmaker said:


    "Coleah" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:9mX0c.437684$I06.4939924@attbi_s01...

    Quoted message said:

    It was about the Passion (suffering)
    which Jesus endured for all of our sins. I do hope that the protesters


    come

    Quoted message said:

    to understand that 'resentment' is not what people come away with.


    More a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    deeper sense of peace.......

    Coleah

    Not about "them"?! The Jews in this movie are portrayed as hateful,
    sadistic, and cruel in just about every scene. I can't see how watching


    this

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    splatter-flick can endow anyone with a "deeper sense of peace."

    --Rich

    I have not seen the movie nor care to. Are ALL the Jews in the movie
    shown to be hateful, sadistic and cruel?? Or just some of the Jews??

    In any case there are movies about WWII that show the Germans to be
    sadistic, cruel in nearly every scene. Does this mean that the movies
    are anti-German??

    I think it important to understand that we cannot generalize from the
    behavior of a few people to a group as a whole.

    That being said I suspect that this movie, based upon what I have
    read, may serve to inflame those who already are anti-semitic. However
    I question whether it will cause those who are not anti-semitic to
    become anti-semitic.

    For example someone like Debbee and Jan will watch the movie and it
    will reinforce their anti-semitism (which they deny). However I
    suspect that you Rich did not develop a hatred for Jews based upon
    what you saw.

    Agreed. it will not convert, for now. However, it will fade into the
    sub-consciousness of those who see it, and serve as an entry way for more
    bigotry.

  16. "Jan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Subject: Re: What really is Anti-semitism
    From: "Coleah" [email hidden]
    Date: 3/2/2004 11:27 AM Pacific Standard Time
    Message-id: <We51c.100999$Xp.434099@attbi_s54>

    Very well said, Coleah.

    From the interviews with Mel Gibson, I believe what you have described is


    his

    Quoted message said:

    focus.

    History can't be changed, this is what happened, we know those who


    killed

    Quoted message said:

    Jesus were hateful, sadistic and cruel. I am going to see it on Sunday, I


    am

    Quoted message said:

    looking forward to it.

    Jan

    Correct, history isn't changed. I like to separate who people are from
    behavior. We can behave in hateful, cruel ways at some point in time, but
    that doesn't make us hateful people, per se.

    Understand that in those days the Roman's crucified 250,000 Jewish people
    for sometimes petty crimes. That's how Roman's kept them in line. Yep, the
    Roman's used whips on them too and made a spectacles of them by hanging them
    on crosses. The movie is not about the cruel behavior of the Roman's. The
    behavior is portrayed, but not the focus.

    The Jewish priests were threatened by Jesus. They too behaved in ways that
    are deemed hateful, sadistic and cruel, by insisting upon having Jesus put
    to death. They doubted Jesus, were filled with fear of what would happen
    if Jesus lived and felt threatened to the point of not giving up until his
    death was accomplished. Their behavior is also portrayed, but not the
    focus.

    The bottom line is there can be no hate for ancient Jewish people because
    they behaved in a way that was foretold to be the destiny of Jesus. There
    may be a few really numb-brained people who may hold the 'guilt of the
    fathers pass on to the sons' theory, and wish to find a fault with modern
    day Jewish people for ancient Jews behavior. Nonsense! I'm Norwegian and
    certainly am not accountable for anything the Vikings did way back when.

    I find all the conversations about Mel Gibson's movie interesting. Even the
    confrontive manner in which Rich looks for objective proof of what
    (subjective) faith is. (Yes, we love ya too, Rich, no matter how you
    struggle with letting us in.)

    Coleah

  17. On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 01:20:10 GMT, "Coleah" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:
    Even the

    Quoted message said:

    confrontive manner in which Rich looks for objective proof of what
    (subjective) faith is.

    Confrontive?? I merely pointed out that what you seem to be asserting
    as fact (Jesus dying for our your sins) is just a matter of faith.
    There are millions of people who have different religious beliefs that
    also are based purely on faith. I have no problem with people
    believing what they want as long as they don't try to impose their
    personal beliefs on others.

    One problem that I see with some religions is that there is an
    indoctrination based upon fear that inculcates certain beliefs. For
    example if you are told that unless you believe such and such that
    something bad will happen this is belief based upon fear. I wonder why
    there is a need to use such tactics to convince people of certain
    religious beliefs.

    (Yes, we love ya too, Rich, no matter how you

    Quoted message said:

    struggle with letting us in.)

    We?? I doubt that Jan loves me as her response to your responding to
    me will likely demonstrate. Perhaps it is best to speak for yourself.

    What do you mean "letting you in" ?? I interpret that comment as
    suggesting that I ought to believe the way you believe. If I am wrong
    please correct me.

    Aloha,

    Rich

    Quoted message said:


    Coleah

    -------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------

    The best defense to logic is ignorance

  18. <Rich.@.> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 01:20:10 GMT, "Coleah" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:
    Even the

    Quoted message said:

    confrontive manner in which Rich looks for objective proof of what
    (subjective) faith is.

    Confrontive?? I merely pointed out that what you seem to be asserting
    as fact (Jesus dying for our your sins) is just a matter of faith.
    There are millions of people who have different religious beliefs that
    also are based purely on faith. I have no problem with people
    believing what they want as long as they don't try to impose their
    personal beliefs on others.

    One problem that I see with some religions is that there is an
    indoctrination based upon fear that inculcates certain beliefs. For
    example if you are told that unless you believe such and such that
    something bad will happen this is belief based upon fear. I wonder why
    there is a need to use such tactics to convince people of certain
    religious beliefs.

    (Yes, we love ya too, Rich, no matter how you

    Quoted message said:

    struggle with letting us in.)

    We?? I doubt that Jan loves me as her response to your responding to
    me will likely demonstrate. Perhaps it is best to speak for yourself.

    What do you mean "letting you in" ?? I interpret that comment as
    suggesting that I ought to believe the way you believe. If I am wrong
    please correct me.

    Aloha,

    Rich

    Quoted message said:


    Coleah

    -------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------

    The best defense to logic is ignorance

  19. <Rich.@.> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 01:20:10 GMT, "Coleah" <[email hidden]>
    I have no problem with people
    believing what they want as long as they don't try to impose their
    personal beliefs on others.

    I agree. The 'should' approach is what comes to mind
    (telling people they 'should' rubs people the wrong way).

    Quoted message said:

    One problem that I see with some religions is that there is an
    indoctrination based upon fear that inculcates certain beliefs. For
    example if you are told that unless you believe such and such that
    something bad will happen this is belief based upon fear. I wonder why
    there is a need to use such tactics to convince people of certain
    religious beliefs.

    I guess different people are attracted to different approaches (flowing
    creeks, if you will) heading toward the same vast, and mysterious ocean.

    I'm not into hell-fire and brimstone type preaching. It reminds me in a way
    of going through Marine Corps boot camp when I was 18. There was a purpose
    to all the hollering in boot camp, but honestly if it had keep up after boot
    camp, I probably would have deserted! Some people respond to that approach
    and may actually enjoy it. I really enjoy learning about different
    religions and their traditions.

    Quoted message said:

    (Yes, we love ya too, Rich, no matter how you

    Quoted message said:

    struggle with letting us in.)

    We?? I doubt that Jan loves me as her response to your responding to
    me will likely demonstrate. Perhaps it is best to speak for yourself.

    Sorry, I didn't mean to speak for Jan. It was more a "Me, myself and I"
    type we.
    However, I suspect Jan adores the 'playful child' inside of everyone who
    posts from that place in their heart.

    Quoted message said:

    What do you mean "letting you in" ?? I interpret that comment as
    suggesting that I ought to believe the way you believe. If I am wrong
    please correct me.

    Good heavens yes, let me correct any confusion. "Shoulds and Oughts" are
    not where I come from. Thank you so much for bringing that up. I respect
    everyone's right to believe as they wish. Guess if anyone believed exactly
    as I do about everything they would needed to have been inside my skin 24/7,
    all my life. The 'letting me in' is an expression of not wanting to feel a
    cold barrier/block between our communication as human beings.

    Thanks again for your comments and questions.
    Happy to clear some things up!

    Coleah

  20. On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 03:11:34 GMT, "Coleah" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    (Yes, we love ya too, Rich, no matter how you

    Quoted message said:

    struggle with letting us in.)

    Quoted message said:

    What do you mean "letting you in" ?? I interpret that comment as
    suggesting that I ought to believe the way you believe. If I am wrong
    please correct me.

    The 'letting me in' is an expression of not wanting to feel a
    cold barrier/block between our communication as human beings.

    But you specifically said I was struggling to let you in.

    You clearly seemed to be indicating that I was the one who was
    creating some problem supported by your previous comment that I was
    being confrontational.

    It certainly was not my intention to block communication or set up a
    cold barrier. It was my intention to be direct in my opinion.

    It is ironic because I kind of interpreted that very comment of yours
    as doing what you were suggesting that I was doing. I felt that you
    were putting up a barrier to communicating in part since you chose to
    respond not directly to me but in a reply to someone else as well as
    making that somewhat cryptic remark.

    Quoted message said:


    Thanks again for your comments and questions.

    My pleasure.

    Aloha,

    Rich

    Quoted message said:

    -------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------

    The best defense to logic is ignorance

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.