Re.: Winter Skills for walkers - sugested provider

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 20:48:22 +0000, Geoff Berrow <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]>
>from Peewiglet contained the following:
>
>>>But you know you've really made it when people call you 'shug' :)

>>'Shug', eh? I've never heard of it? What is it??

>Short for 'sugar' or 'sugarplum'.

Here it's hun, luv, or - special endearment - me taaaaaaart.

wrote:

>I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]>
>from Peewiglet contained the following:
>
>>>But you know you've really made it when people call you 'shug' :)

>>'Shug', eh? I've never heard of it? What is it??

>Short for 'sugar' or 'sugarplum'.

Ahaa! I've missed out, then :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 21:08:19 +0000, Judith
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>>Having said that, I'm a Scouser,

>A real one, or a plazzy one?

Well, I can't say for sure, not knowing how you make the distinction.
How do you define 'real' and 'plazzy'?

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 21:36:25 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>>Having said that, I'm a Scouser,

>>A real one, or a plazzy one?

>Well, I can't say for sure, not knowing how you make the distinction.
>How do you define 'real' and 'plazzy'?

I have been known to get upset when I get called a Scouser because I'm
from the other side of the water. Scousers are from "that" side, not
"this" side. I haven't a clue how far out the line would be drawn.
For example, I went to watch St Helens Rugby League a few years back
and the opposing fans were using Scouser as a term of abuse for the
Saints fans. Much in the same way that we (Northern English)
Association Football fans use the word "Cockney" for anyone south of
Birmingham!

Geographic identity/Tribal loyalty is a tricky thing, so I was
wondering if you really were a Scouser or do you just get called
Scouse because you're from vaguely near Liverpool?

(Whatever the answer, do you fancy paying for half my diesel if we do
a Scottish winter skills course?!)

Judith

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 21:46:13 +0000, Judith
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>I have been known to get upset when I get called a Scouser because I'm
>from the other side of the water. Scousers are from "that" side, not
>"this" side.

Aaah.... I'm from 'that' side :)

[...]
>Geographic identity/Tribal loyalty is a tricky thing, so I was
>wondering if you really were a Scouser or do you just get called
>Scouse because you're from vaguely near Liverpool?

People don't call me Scouse, as I don't really have an accent.
However, I spent most of my first 7 years in Bootle, so, when it's
necessary to declare geographical origins, to me that makes me a
Scouser.

My parents moved to Formby when I was 7, and later on to a crumbling
farmhouse in the middle of remote fields in darkest Lancashire, but
I've always thought of L/pool as my closest city, and that's why I
said I was a Scouser.

It's impossible to win with these things, really :) Some people will
say I'm not really a Scouser, but they'd be the first people to call
me a snob if I said I was a woolyback... (well, assuming it's possible
to be both a snob and a woolyback at the same time! :) I'm not
really bothered either way, but the fact remains that L/pool is my
closest city in geographical terms. I much preferred Manchester,
though, when I worked there for 15 years.

>(Whatever the answer, do you fancy paying for half my diesel if we do
>a Scottish winter skills course?!)

Now *there's* a great idea :) That sounds good to me!

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 22:08:06 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I'm not
>really bothered either way, but the fact remains that L/pool is my
>closest city in geographical terms. I much preferred Manchester,
>though, when I worked there for 15 years.

I'd be careful admitting that, if you still have any ties with
Liverpool. They get touchy about them lot at the other end of the
Wast Lancs Road.

>>(Whatever the answer, do you fancy paying for half my diesel if we do
>>a Scottish winter skills course?!)

>Now *there's* a great idea :) That sounds good to me!

Ha! You haven't seen my fuel bill. (I've just been checking my
credit card bill and I think I may have a good case for asking Shell
to sponsor me!) At least I've got loads of space in the back for any
extra/essential gear we need .... I mean, we'd need to go past the
Lake District and may need to check to see if there are any bargains
to be had!

Judith

I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]>
from Peewiglet contained the following:

>>Short for 'sugar' or 'sugarplum'.

>Ahaa! I've missed out, then :)

Never mind, shug. :)

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

wrote:

>a crumbling
>farmhouse in the middle of remote fields in darkest Lancashire,

You *are* a woollyback.

[email protected] says...
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:21:34 -0000, "Bob Mannix" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> [...]
> >I have been on a day out in Glencoe with this chap, who was excellent:
> >
> >http://www.mountainmotion.co.uk/

> Many thanks for the info.
>
> This is less expensive. For instance, there's a 3 day winter skills
> course that works out at £105 each for 4 people. That sounds like good
> value to me.
>
> Again, what do those who expressed an interest think?
>

> Best wishes,

Still sounds good to me. I would always rather go with a personal
recommendation.

Travel will be a bit of a bugger, but odds are I'll be driving up from
the midlands if anybody want to share.

Just need to find the cash and sell it at home/work now!

--
Darren

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:57:07 -0000, "Bob Mannix"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [...]
> >Although my Glencoe suggestion is not the favourite, it seems,

> I thought it sounded excellent, and v. good value, but unless we
> decide to go to one of the mountain centres then we need to organise
> accommodation and food separately, which is more expensive done that
> way. I think that's the only issue.

there must be some huts or YHAs in the vicinity that we could use if
cash is an issue? (not had time to check)
--
Darren

In message <[email protected]>, Peewiglet
<[email protected]> writes
>On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 21:46:13 +0000, Judith
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>[...]
>>I have been known to get upset when I get called a Scouser because I'm
>>from the other side of the water. Scousers are from "that" side, not
>>"this" side.

>Aaah.... I'm from 'that' side :)

I lived on both sides as a child but my parents were from neither. In
Liverpool my accent was unnoticeable but when I went to university I was
instantly called a Scouser and southerners used to have fun asking me to
say words like "book" and "one" and then falling about laughing.

>[...]
>>Geographic identity/Tribal loyalty is a tricky thing, so I was
>>wondering if you really were a Scouser or do you just get called
>>Scouse because you're from vaguely near Liverpool?

>People don't call me Scouse, as I don't really have an accent.
>However, I spent most of my first 7 years in Bootle, so, when it's
>necessary to declare geographical origins, to me that makes me a
>Scouser.
>
>My parents moved to Formby when I was 7, and later on to a crumbling
>farmhouse in the middle of remote fields in darkest Lancashire, but
>I've always thought of L/pool as my closest city, and that's why I
>said I was a Scouser.

My parents moved to Formby when I was 6 and I lived there until I left
home. My family mostly live in Southport now.

>It's impossible to win with these things, really :) Some people will
>say I'm not really a Scouser, but they'd be the first people to call
>me a snob if I said I was a woolyback... (well, assuming it's possible
>to be both a snob and a woolyback at the same time! :) I'm not
>really bothered either way, but the fact remains that L/pool is my
>closest city in geographical terms. I much preferred Manchester,
>though, when I worked there for 15 years.

I was in Manchester for 8 years. I know Manchester much better than
Liverpool (at least I did, it's some time ago) but I can't say I really
like either of them (or most other big cities for that matter).

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 22:40:08 +0000, Geoff Berrow <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]>
>from Peewiglet contained the following:
>
>>>Short for 'sugar' or 'sugarplum'.

>>Ahaa! I've missed out, then :)

>Never mind, shug. :)

:) <fx: shucks...>

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 22:37:41 +0000, Judith
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>I'd be careful admitting that, if you still have any ties with
>Liverpool. They get touchy about them lot at the other end of the
>Wast Lancs Road.

I didn't really mean it.

<fx: cough, cough>

:)

>>>(Whatever the answer, do you fancy paying for half my diesel if we do
>>>a Scottish winter skills course?!)

>>Now *there's* a great idea :) That sounds good to me!

>Ha! You haven't seen my fuel bill. (I've just been checking my
>credit card bill and I think I may have a good case for asking Shell
>to sponsor me!) At least I've got loads of space in the back for any
>extra/essential gear we need .... I mean, we'd need to go past the
>Lake District and may need to check to see if there are any bargains
>to be had!

That sounds excellent too! :))

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 00:24:07 +0000, Chris Townsend wrote:

>In message <[email protected]>, Peewiglet
><[email protected]> writes
>>On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 21:46:13 +0000, Judith
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>[...]
>>>I have been known to get upset when I get called a Scouser because I'm
>>>from the other side of the water. Scousers are from "that" side, not
>>>"this" side.

>>Aaah.... I'm from 'that' side :)

>I lived on both sides as a child but my parents were from neither. In
>Liverpool my accent was unnoticeable but when I went to university I was
>instantly called a Scouser and southerners used to have fun asking me to
>say words like "book" and "one" and then falling about laughing.

Could have been worse. You could have been brought up in France and
have your new English friends ask you what the French for seal is :)

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 23:43:26 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>>a crumbling
>>farmhouse in the middle of remote fields in darkest Lancashire,

>You *are* a woollyback.

Well maybe, but I'm making no admissions...

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 00:24:07 +0000, Chris Townsend
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>I lived on both sides as a child but my parents were from neither. In
>Liverpool my accent was unnoticeable but when I went to university I was
>instantly called a Scouser and southerners used to have fun asking me to
>say words like "book" and "one" and then falling about laughing.

I had a bit of that too :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 00:09:59 -0000, Darren G <[email protected]>
wrote:

[...]
>Still sounds good to me. I would always rather go with a personal
>recommendation.
>
>Travel will be a bit of a bugger, but odds are I'll be driving up from
>the midlands if anybody want to share.

Judith and I would be going from the NW. Maybe we could link up en
route, if none of the others are down there near you?

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I went to university I was
>instantly called a Scouser and southerners used to have fun asking me to
>say words like "book" and "one" and then falling about laughing.

I don't remember any teasing at Polytechnic (but that was in the North
Midlands so perhaps not a lot of Southerners around) but they could be
quite mocking in Portsmaff. What I didn't understand is why they all
larfed at my pronunciation of Fareham when they couldn't even say
"Joodiff" proplee?

Joodiff