Power meters ยท Public discussion

Really low FTP? - ~ 100 w. Anyone else?

Started by beejayca ยท ยท Last activity ยท 7 posts ยท 9,696 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Power meters
Published
4 October 2013
Last activity
6 October 2013
Original author
beejayca
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
9,696
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1โ€“7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello everyone,

    I am 43 years old and have been very inactive for about 10 years. I know. ๐Ÿ™( I constantly apologize to myself.
    Anyways I have started again. And my numbers are very bad. I am not a big guy so they may not be so bad for a "beginner" but just want to know if anyone has had such low ftp after a very long period of inactivity?

    Height: 5'4"
    Weight 126lbs or 57kg.
    Last FTP test last week: 101W.
    Been training 6 weeks.

    I know it might be ridiculous to do tests at this point but I am wondering if inactivity kills someone this bad or is anything wrong with me?

    Jay

  2. Quote: Originally Posted by beejayca [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]
    Hello everyone,

    I am 43 years old and have been very inactive for about 10 years. I know. ๐Ÿ™( I constantly apologize to myself.
    Anyways I have started again. And my numbers are very bad. I am not a big guy so they may not be so bad for a "beginner" but just want to know if anyone has had such low ftp after a very long period of inactivity?

    Height: 5'4"
    Weight 126lbs or 57kg.
    Last FTP test last week: 101W.
    Been training 6 weeks.

    I know it might be ridiculous to do tests at this point but I am wondering if inactivity kills someone this bad or is anything wrong with me?

    Jay

    It's important to do the tests. You want to know where you are starting from so you know how to get where you want to go. Eventually, you'll also have the satisfaction of looking and knowing how much you've improved.
    Look at it this way: you are 13 watts shy of 2w/kg. It's not THAT bad. I started last December at roughly the same place and I'm knocking on 3w/kg and I'm 65 and have borderline COPD.
    Go and read the first 20 pages of the "It's Killing Me" thread. Hell, just read the whole thing. It's good entertainment.
    Start slow, but ride as much as you possibly can. There are lots of guys here who know what they are talking about and you will find most of them by reading the thread.
    Now get to work. And good luck.
    Max

  3. Hi Max

    Thanks for the reply. I am trying to make it work. I barely even get more than 4 hours a week in. I have to somehow make it part of my lifestyle. I am not near 2w/kg. ๐Ÿ™‚ Its more like 1.75w/kg. I hope I can come out of this.

    Thanks again
    Jay

  4. When I first got on my bike I couldnt get up 1 mile hills without having to jump off. I dont know what my FTP was but it sucked pretty bad. Up to 250 by now pretty quickly.

  5. I have seen FTP < 100W from a beginner. Stick with the process.

    How are you measuring power?

  6. Even on 4 hours a week, you'll see progress - and if you're consistent, fairly solid progress, especially over the first 6 months or so.

    When I started back a few years ago, could hardly even get round the block. It will come.

  7. Thanks guys!
    Alex I am using the powertap G3. I used to ride Cat 4 (I know nothing special) about 18 years back, which is why I am surprised or embarrassed or a little scared.
    I guess I never expected to be so unfit but thats what 12 years of no cardio does to your body.

    I will keep going. Perhaps I will do a 20 in the morning and 20 in the evening 4 times a week and then do a 90 min ride on the weekends.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users ยท 0 guests ยท0 bots ยท0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.