Really old bike, new v-brakes too far apart

(Pete Cresswell)

Guest
They're so far apart that the springs that separate pads from wheel can't do
their job. Adjustment screws are maxed out.

Utility/errand bike - no big thing....but if there's an easy solution....

http://tinyurl.com/5yzxr
--
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> They're so far apart that the springs that separate pads from wheel

can't do
> their job. Adjustment screws are maxed out.
>
> Utility/errand bike - no big thing....but if there's an easy

solution....

> http://tinyurl.com/5yzxr

Did you remove the springs from their holding pin on the brake arm and
bend them farther apart by hand?

Per [email protected]:
> Add a few brake spacers and make sure your using V brake
>levers. You do the job or your LBS?

Mea Culpa.

Brake spacers? If that means additional washers on the pads it seems like that
would make the arms go further apart instead of closer. ?
--
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> They're so far apart that the springs that separate pads from wheel
> can't do their job. Adjustment screws are maxed out.
>
> Utility/errand bike - no big thing....but if there's an easy
> solution....
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5yzxr

Take a look at the brake post. There are usually three little holes that
the end of the return spring sits in. This allows the arms to be set at
varying distances apart, usually to account for wide or narrow rims. I
suspect that might be the problem. That's what it looks like to me on the
picture anyway. Try shifting them to the next closer hole. You will have
to re-adjust the shoe alignment and cable pull.

Tom

Per tcmedara:
>There are usually three little holes that
>the end of the return spring sits in.

Not on this antique.

I guess bending the springs is the only remedy.
--
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> Per tcmedara:
>> There are usually three little holes that
>> the end of the return spring sits in.

> Not on this antique.
>
> I guess bending the springs is the only remedy.

Wait a second. Have you tried rearranging the washers/spacers? Someone
showed me once how their orientation affects brake arm/pad placement; worth
a try before bending stuff :)

Bill "just take note of how they're on there now" S.

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> Per tcmedara:
>> There are usually three little holes that
>> the end of the return spring sits in.

> Not on this antique.
>
> I guess bending the springs is the only remedy.

I understand you OP mentioned problems with the return springs. Do the
brakes work fine except for the return, i.e. pad to rim distance, cable
pull, etc?
Maybe I don't grasp the problem. Is it that the arms are too far apart to
get the pads against the rim, or is it that you can't get them far enough
apart to get space between the pad and the rim?

Tom

(Pete Cresswell) said:
They're so far apart that the springs that separate pads from wheel can't do
their job. Adjustment screws are maxed out.

Utility/errand bike - no big thing....but if there's an easy solution....

http://tinyurl.com/5yzxr
--
PeteCresswell

If you had some brakes without the parallel push mechanism it would fit alot better.

Per tcmedara:
>Maybe I don't grasp the problem. Is it that the arms are too far apart to
>get the pads against the rim, or is it that you can't get them far enough
>apart to get space between the pad and the rim?

"Problem" might be too strong a word. But the arms are kind of far apart - far
enough so that the return springs don't do their job.

Nothing I'd go too far to fix - but if it turned out I was just doing something
dumb (like the three-hole option metioned earlier - that this fork lacks)...
--
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> They're so far apart that the springs that separate pads from wheel
> can't do their job. Adjustment screws are maxed out.
>
> Utility/errand bike - no big thing....but if there's an easy
> solution....
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5yzxr

I can't see the pad mounting washer arrangement in the pic. Make sure you
have the thinner washer on the wheel side of the brake arm.

If that's not it the fork legs are too close and you'll have to go back to
good 'ol center pull canti's.

Mike

Maybe you should let a pro look at it. I've set up
many V brakes and only 1 set of disc. Even set up an old Schwinn
era 89 with no problem I set and up keep you could call a fleet of bikes
7 all total.

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Per [email protected]:
> > Add a few brake spacers and make sure your using V brake
> >levers. You do the job or your LBS?

> Mea Culpa.
>
> Brake spacers? If that means additional washers on the pads it seems

like that
> would make the arms go further apart instead of closer. ?

Have you put the thin spacer on the inside? There's two different
thicknesses, so they can be spaced wider, or closer by flipping them over.

Shaun aRe

Per Shaun aRe:
>Have you put the thin spacer on the inside? There's two different
>thicknesses, so they can be spaced wider, or closer by flipping them over.

Yes. Now that somebody broached the issue, I measured the width of this antique
fork. It's almost 2cm narrower than the 'zocchi on my FS. Seems to me like
that's got to be the root cause....the fork is just out of range for the brakes.

Actually the brakes still work acceptably without the return springs doing their
job....after all, it's just an errand bike...
--
PeteCresswell

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Per Shaun aRe:
> >Have you put the thin spacer on the inside? There's two different
> >thicknesses, so they can be spaced wider, or closer by flipping them

over.

> Yes. Now that somebody broached the issue, I measured the width of this

antique
> fork. It's almost 2cm narrower than the 'zocchi on my FS. Seems to me

like
> that's got to be the root cause....the fork is just out of range for the

brakes.

> Actually the brakes still work acceptably without the return springs doing

their
> job....after all, it's just an errand bike...

Then why TF all the fuss?!?!? Heheheheh... ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Per Shaun aRe:
>Then why TF all the fuss?!?!? Heheheheh... ',;~}~

Too much coffee, not enough warm weather....and probably a little crazy
anyhow...
--
PeteCresswell

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Per Shaun aRe:
> >Then why TF all the fuss?!?!? Heheheheh... ',;~}~

> Too much coffee, not enough warm weather....and probably a little crazy
> anyhow...

Oh I see - you should have just said so ',;~}~

Shaun aRe