Really old bike, new v-brakes too far apart

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by (Pete Cresswell), Feb 27, 2005.

  1. They're so far apart that the springs that separate pads from wheel can't do
    their job. Adjustment screws are maxed out.

    Utility/errand bike - no big thing....but if there's an easy solution....

    http://tinyurl.com/5yzxr
    --
    PeteCresswell

    Tags:

  2. (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > They're so far apart that the springs that separate pads from wheel

    can't do
    > their job. Adjustment screws are maxed out.
    >
    > Utility/errand bike - no big thing....but if there's an easy

    solution....

    > http://tinyurl.com/5yzxr

    Did you remove the springs from their holding pin on the brake arm and
    bend them farther apart by hand?

  3. Add a few brake spacers and make sure your using V brake
    levers. You do the job or your LBS?

  4. Per [email protected]:
    > Add a few brake spacers and make sure your using V brake
    >levers. You do the job or your LBS?

    Mea Culpa.

    Brake spacers? If that means additional washers on the pads it seems like that
    would make the arms go further apart instead of closer. ?
    --
    PeteCresswell

  5. tcmedara

    tcmedara Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > They're so far apart that the springs that separate pads from wheel
    > can't do their job. Adjustment screws are maxed out.
    >
    > Utility/errand bike - no big thing....but if there's an easy
    > solution....
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/5yzxr

    Take a look at the brake post. There are usually three little holes that
    the end of the return spring sits in. This allows the arms to be set at
    varying distances apart, usually to account for wide or narrow rims. I
    suspect that might be the problem. That's what it looks like to me on the
    picture anyway. Try shifting them to the next closer hole. You will have
    to re-adjust the shoe alignment and cable pull.

    Tom

  6. Per tcmedara:
    >There are usually three little holes that
    >the end of the return spring sits in.

    Not on this antique.

    I guess bending the springs is the only remedy.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  7. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > Per tcmedara:
    >> There are usually three little holes that
    >> the end of the return spring sits in.

    > Not on this antique.
    >
    > I guess bending the springs is the only remedy.

    Wait a second. Have you tried rearranging the washers/spacers? Someone
    showed me once how their orientation affects brake arm/pad placement; worth
    a try before bending stuff :)

    Bill "just take note of how they're on there now" S.

  8. tcmedara

    tcmedara Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > Per tcmedara:
    >> There are usually three little holes that
    >> the end of the return spring sits in.

    > Not on this antique.
    >
    > I guess bending the springs is the only remedy.

    I understand you OP mentioned problems with the return springs. Do the
    brakes work fine except for the return, i.e. pad to rim distance, cable
    pull, etc?
    Maybe I don't grasp the problem. Is it that the arms are too far apart to
    get the pads against the rim, or is it that you can't get them far enough
    apart to get space between the pad and the rim?

    Tom

  9. Mr_Kingkillaha

    Mr_Kingkillaha New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2004

    If you had some brakes without the parallel push mechanism it would fit alot better.

  10. Per tcmedara:
    >Maybe I don't grasp the problem. Is it that the arms are too far apart to
    >get the pads against the rim, or is it that you can't get them far enough
    >apart to get space between the pad and the rim?

    "Problem" might be too strong a word. But the arms are kind of far apart - far
    enough so that the return springs don't do their job.

    Nothing I'd go too far to fix - but if it turned out I was just doing something
    dumb (like the three-hole option metioned earlier - that this fork lacks)...
    --
    PeteCresswell

  11. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > They're so far apart that the springs that separate pads from wheel
    > can't do their job. Adjustment screws are maxed out.
    >
    > Utility/errand bike - no big thing....but if there's an easy
    > solution....
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/5yzxr

    I can't see the pad mounting washer arrangement in the pic. Make sure you
    have the thinner washer on the wheel side of the brake arm.

    If that's not it the fork legs are too close and you'll have to go back to
    good 'ol center pull canti's.

    Mike

  12. The little tit should be in the middle hole.

  13. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > The little tit should be in the middle hole.

    T'was ever thus.

  14. Maybe you should let a pro look at it. I've set up
    many V brakes and only 1 set of disc. Even set up an old Schwinn
    era 89 with no problem I set and up keep you could call a fleet of bikes
    7 all total.

  15. gazzer

    gazzer Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > They're so far apart that the springs that separate pads from wheel can't do
    > their job. Adjustment screws are maxed out.
    >
    > Utility/errand bike - no big thing....but if there's an easy solution....
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/5yzxr

    brakes are for poofters

  16. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Per [email protected]:
    > > Add a few brake spacers and make sure your using V brake
    > >levers. You do the job or your LBS?

    > Mea Culpa.
    >
    > Brake spacers? If that means additional washers on the pads it seems

    like that
    > would make the arms go further apart instead of closer. ?

    Have you put the thin spacer on the inside? There's two different
    thicknesses, so they can be spaced wider, or closer by flipping them over.

    Shaun aRe

  17. Per Shaun aRe:
    >Have you put the thin spacer on the inside? There's two different
    >thicknesses, so they can be spaced wider, or closer by flipping them over.

    Yes. Now that somebody broached the issue, I measured the width of this antique
    fork. It's almost 2cm narrower than the 'zocchi on my FS. Seems to me like
    that's got to be the root cause....the fork is just out of range for the brakes.

    Actually the brakes still work acceptably without the return springs doing their
    job....after all, it's just an errand bike...
    --
    PeteCresswell

  18. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Per Shaun aRe:
    > >Have you put the thin spacer on the inside? There's two different
    > >thicknesses, so they can be spaced wider, or closer by flipping them

    over.

    > Yes. Now that somebody broached the issue, I measured the width of this

    antique
    > fork. It's almost 2cm narrower than the 'zocchi on my FS. Seems to me

    like
    > that's got to be the root cause....the fork is just out of range for the

    brakes.

    > Actually the brakes still work acceptably without the return springs doing

    their
    > job....after all, it's just an errand bike...

    Then why TF all the fuss?!?!? Heheheheh... ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  19. Per Shaun aRe:
    >Then why TF all the fuss?!?!? Heheheheh... ',;~}~

    Too much coffee, not enough warm weather....and probably a little crazy
    anyhow...
    --
    PeteCresswell

  20. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Per Shaun aRe:
    > >Then why TF all the fuss?!?!? Heheheheh... ',;~}~

    > Too much coffee, not enough warm weather....and probably a little crazy
    > anyhow...

    Oh I see - you should have just said so ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe