Road Cycling · Public discussion

Really sore thighs......

Started by Never Enough Money · · Last activity · 24 posts · 795 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
10 July 2006
Last activity
22 July 2006
Original author
Never Enough Money
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
795
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–24 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Bob Dole said:

    Never Enough Money wrote:


    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    That's 8000+ miles a year. Exactly what would you consider huge,
    assuming you don't race for a living?


    Well 8000/yr is respectable but many in the riding group put in
    250/week. I also travel about 1 week per month and those weeks have
    zero miles. My actual annual mileage is about 6500.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    In Plano my thighs are always sore. So I'm trying to figure out what's
    different.


    Why did you move to Plano? Did you get married, move in with a woman,
    or otherwise create new uses for the thigh muscles? Could that be it?
    If so, probably best to get used to it.


    Job relocation for 1 year. I had to take the assignment of find another
    company.

    Quoted message said:


    Being relatively unfamiliar with Boulder and Plano, I'm guessing Plano
    is hotter and flatter (and you say you are riding harder). I'm guessing
    here, but I'd guess your effective position on the bike is somehow
    different because you are doing less climbing out of the saddle and
    your speeds are more constant for a longer period of time.

    In terms of what to do about it -- don't professional racers use a
    slightly different geometry on mountainous or hilly stages than on
    relatively flat stages? This might offer a clue.


    Good ideas. Thanks.

  2. Looks like the following helped a lot (based on suggestions from some
    of you).

    I seemed to be dring enough during the ride. However, I've tried to
    hydrate well before the ride and again after. Plus, I have two scoops
    of GU2O electrolyt for roughly every 20 miles and another scoop at the
    end.

    Today the group did 70.55 miles with an average speed of 20.1 mph in
    101 degrees. Hydration was paramount. I'm only a little sore so maybe
    my new hydration scheme is working.

    BTW, I drank two liters of water the day before (yesterday). Drank a
    16.0 oz Aquafina early this morning before the ride. Drank 5 large
    water bottles (some containing GU2O electrolyt) plus a whole camel back
    bladder and a small gatorade on the ride itself.

    After the ride I immediately had another 16.9 oz Aquafina. Drove home
    and had three glasses of water, one with GU2O.

    We'll see how sore I am tomorrow but the soreness has been pretty
    immedaie in the past.

    I may just be getting stronger, too....

    [snip]

  3. Is it the inside of your thighs, from where your knees meet each other
    and up?
    As a child, I had to have special shoes for club feet.
    I have to use http://www.bikescor.com/product/knee.htm
    for a little extra width to reduce this ache.

    Never Enough Money said:

    I've been riding for 14 years and have recently moved from Boulder,
    Colorodo to Plano, Texas. My weekly mileage has not changed (although I
    may be riding a tad harder in Plano since I'm riding with a group more
    often). My weekly mileage is 150 to 170 -- respectable but not
    huge.....

    In Plano my thighs are always sore. So I'm trying to figure out what's
    different.

    Some folks said I need to drink more since it's hotter. So I am. In
    fact, other riders say I'm drinking much more than they are.

    Some said I need more electrolyts. So I've been consuming about 4
    scoops per ride. (This might have reduced the soreness a tiny bit - I'm
    not sure.)

    Others said I need to stretch more. I have been but that makes no
    noticable difference...

    I've also tried protein shakes (Myoplex lite). No noticable difference.

    Oh, and I'm getting plenty of sleep.

    Any more ideas?

  4. No. It's mosting on the front and some on the side close to the knee
    than hip. Most of the pain though is along the front (and middle).

    One thing, I'm concluding, too, is that riding with a group causes me
    to go anaerobic more aften than riding alone. Thta's got to be a
    contributor, too.

    Mike A Schwab said:

    Is it the inside of your thighs, from where your knees meet each other
    and up?
    As a child, I had to have special shoes for club feet.
    I have to use http://www.bikescor.com/product/knee.htm
    for a little extra width to reduce this ache.

    Never Enough Money said:

    I've been riding for 14 years and have recently moved from Boulder,
    Colorodo to Plano, Texas. My weekly mileage has not changed (although I
    may be riding a tad harder in Plano since I'm riding with a group more
    often). My weekly mileage is 150 to 170 -- respectable but not
    huge.....

    In Plano my thighs are always sore. So I'm trying to figure out what's
    different.

    Some folks said I need to drink more since it's hotter. So I am. In
    fact, other riders say I'm drinking much more than they are.

    Some said I need more electrolyts. So I've been consuming about 4
    scoops per ride. (This might have reduced the soreness a tiny bit - I'm
    not sure.)

    Others said I need to stretch more. I have been but that makes no
    noticable difference...

    I've also tried protein shakes (Myoplex lite). No noticable difference.

    Oh, and I'm getting plenty of sleep.

    Any more ideas?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.