Road Cycling · Public discussion

rear de reailer broke off

Started by ufatbastehd · · Last activity · 10 posts · 351 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
14 August 2007
Last activity
18 August 2007
Original author
ufatbastehd
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
351
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On my new Specilazed road bike my rear derailer snapped off when I
    was 30 mi from my house.

    I noticed afterwards that my chain had a link that was coming off

    This is on a bike less than 3 months old with less than 350 miles.

    Brought it to the store where I bought it and they say its not
    covered by warranty. I had it in the same LBS Sunday as the chain was
    jumping off and slipping.

    Bike has never been laid down or crashed.

    I had a huge arguement with the LBS owner.
    I told him if he bills me I will take my business elsewhere.

    Shouldn't this be covered on such a new bike?

  2. ufatbastehd said:

    On my new Specilazed road bike my rear derailer snapped off when I
    was 30 mi from my house.

    I noticed afterwards that my chain had a link that was coming off

    This is on a bike less than 3 months old with less than 350 miles.

    Brought it to the store where I bought it and they say its not
    covered by warranty. I had it in the same LBS Sunday as the chain was
    jumping off and slipping.

    Bike has never been laid down or crashed.

    I had a huge arguement with the LBS owner.
    I told him if he bills me I will take my business elsewhere.

    Shouldn't this be covered on such a new bike?

    Yes.

    I had a Fisher Paragon ($1200 bike...in 1996) that had ALL kinds of
    problems, culminating in the rear derailleur falling apart as I was
    literally "just riding along" (JRA) -- climbing a steep hill, actually, but
    nothing drastic. Turned out the frame was misaligned, causing all sorts of
    drivetrain issues. They replaced it under warranty, and the new one was
    fine.

    Raise hell.

    BS (not a bit)

  3. "Bill Sornson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    ufatbastehd said:

    On my new Specilazed road bike my rear derailer snapped off when I
    was 30 mi from my house.

    I noticed afterwards that my chain had a link that was coming off

    This is on a bike less than 3 months old with less than 350 miles.

    Brought it to the store where I bought it and they say its not
    covered by warranty. I had it in the same LBS Sunday as the chain was
    jumping off and slipping.

    Bike has never been laid down or crashed.

    I had a huge arguement with the LBS owner.
    I told him if he bills me I will take my business elsewhere.

    Shouldn't this be covered on such a new bike?

    Yes.

    I had a Fisher Paragon ($1200 bike...in 1996) that had ALL kinds of
    problems, culminating in the rear derailleur falling apart as I was
    literally "just riding along" (JRA) -- climbing a steep hill, actually,
    but nothing drastic. Turned out the frame was misaligned, causing all
    sorts of drivetrain issues. They replaced it under warranty, and the new
    one was fine.

    Raise hell.

    BS (not a bit)

    And if the dealer isn't compliant, I'd sent pictures and a nice letter to
    Specialized. Your bike had too few miles for this sort of problem to occur.
    Somebody dropped the ball in assembly.

  4. Quoted message said:

    And if the dealer isn't compliant, I'd sent pictures and a nice letter to
    Specialized. Your bike had too few miles for this sort of problem to
    occur. Somebody dropped the ball in assembly.

    Most likely the blame lies with the manufacturer, since that's where the
    chains are installed. It's unfortunate the shop got as defensive about it as
    they did, since the manufacturer, with appropriate documentation (photos and
    explanations about what exactly happened), will probably stand behind it.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "Gooserider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Bill Sornson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    ufatbastehd said:

    On my new Specilazed road bike my rear derailer snapped off when I
    was 30 mi from my house.

    I noticed afterwards that my chain had a link that was coming off

    This is on a bike less than 3 months old with less than 350 miles.

    Brought it to the store where I bought it and they say its not
    covered by warranty. I had it in the same LBS Sunday as the chain was
    jumping off and slipping.

    Bike has never been laid down or crashed.

    I had a huge arguement with the LBS owner.
    I told him if he bills me I will take my business elsewhere.

    Shouldn't this be covered on such a new bike?

    Yes.

    I had a Fisher Paragon ($1200 bike...in 1996) that had ALL kinds of
    problems, culminating in the rear derailleur falling apart as I was
    literally "just riding along" (JRA) -- climbing a steep hill, actually,
    but nothing drastic. Turned out the frame was misaligned, causing all
    sorts of drivetrain issues. They replaced it under warranty, and the new
    one was fine.

    Raise hell.

    BS (not a bit)

    And if the dealer isn't compliant, I'd sent pictures and a nice letter to
    Specialized. Your bike had too few miles for this sort of problem to
    occur. Somebody dropped the ball in assembly.

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    On my new Specilazed road bike my rear derailer snapped off when I
    was 30 mi from my house.

    I noticed afterwards that my chain had a link that was coming off

    This is on a bike less than 3 months old with less than 350 miles.

    Brought it to the store where I bought it and they say its not
    covered by warranty. I had it in the same LBS Sunday as the chain was
    jumping off and slipping.

    Bike has never been laid down or crashed.

    I had a huge arguement with the LBS owner.
    I told him if he bills me I will take my business elsewhere.

    Shouldn't this be covered on such a new bike?

    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 +10dB
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    TROLL-O-METER

  6. RBrickston said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    On my new Specilazed road bike my rear derailer snapped off when I
    was 30 mi from my house.

    Quoted message said:

    I noticed afterwards that my chain had a link that was coming off

    Quoted message said:

    This is on a bike less than 3 months old with less than 350 miles.

    Quoted message said:

    Brought it to the store where I bought it and they say its not
    covered by warranty. I had it in the same LBS Sunday as the chain was
    jumping off and slipping.

    Quoted message said:

    Bike has never been laid down or crashed.

    Quoted message said:

    I had a huge arguement with the LBS owner.
    I told him if he bills me I will take my business elsewhere.

    Quoted message said:

    Shouldn't this be covered on such a new bike?

    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 +10dB
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    TROLL-O-METER

    What are you talking about?
    I asked an opinion of an issue I had and wanted feedback from those in
    the know.
    It's pretty obvious you don't know to much.
    Take you useless post back into the hole you crawled out of.

    BTW for those who responded the LBS did not cover the issue and I paid
    100 bucks to have it repaired.
    I will now take my business elsewhere

  7. ufatbastehd said:
    brickson said:

    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 +10dB
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    TROLL-O-METER

    you replied:
    What are you talking about?

    Don't worry. A lot of posts here don't make any sense. You obviously
    weren't trolling since you had posted how elated you were to be getting
    the bike just two months ago. If the guy had looked back a little bit,
    he would have found your earlier post.

    Did you have any kind of warranty? What did the $100 you paid cover?
    Parts and labor?

  8. catzz66 said:
    ufatbastehd said:
    brickson said:

    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 +10dB
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    TROLL-O-METER

    Quoted message said:

    you replied:
    What are you talking about?

    Don't worry. A lot of posts here don't make any sense. You obviously
    weren't trolling since you had posted how elated you were to be getting
    the bike just two months ago. If the guy had looked back a little bit,
    he would have found your earlier post.

    Did you have any kind of warranty? What did the $100 you paid cover?
    Parts and labor?

    It covered parts. New Derailer , new chain and some spokes.
    The LBS gave me the parts at cost and did not bill for labor or so
    they say.
    The new rear derailer is an Ultegra an upgrade from the 105 that was
    on the bike
    I am going to contact Shimano and Specialized see if I can re-coop
    some cash.
    The bike was only 3-4 months old and had under 350 mi so I don't
    understand how I could not be covered.

    Its not like a rim was bent or something a critical part failed after
    the bike was at the LBS twice for shifting and chain issues

  9. ufatbastehd said:
    catzz66 said:

    Did you have any kind of warranty? What did the $100 you paid cover?
    Parts and labor?

    It covered parts. New Derailer , new chain and some spokes.
    The LBS gave me the parts at cost and did not bill for labor or so
    they say.
    The new rear derailer is an Ultegra an upgrade from the 105 that was
    on the bike
    I am going to contact Shimano and Specialized see if I can re-coop
    some cash.
    The bike was only 3-4 months old and had under 350 mi so I don't
    understand how I could not be covered.

    Its not like a rim was bent or something a critical part failed after
    the bike was at the LBS twice for shifting and chain issues

    When I bought my bike from a big shop here, I got no warranty either,
    just a free tuneup during the first 12 months. This may not be what you
    wanted to hear, but if you didn't get any kind of warranty for a certain
    agreed period, what they did may have been their standard policy and
    they were probably not out of line. Now if they'd wanted a "customer
    for life" ...

    A buddy of mine gets free lifetime (life of the bike) maintenance on his
    Fuji he bought from a small mom and pop chain of bike shops here, but he
    pays for parts. That was his deal, though. Mine was different, but
    luckily all I have needed was to replace a broken spoke nipple for $16.

    Anyway, good luck to you.

  10. R. Brickston said:


    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 +10dB
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    TROLL-O-METER

    Missing Baka?

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    BEER IS FOOD

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.