rear hitch bike rack

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Curt, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Curt

    Curt Guest

    Tags:

  2. Curt

    Curt Guest

  3. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:19:03 GMT, "curt" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Guess no one has a bike rack for their car out there. Any
    >links to places that may be of help would be great. "curt"
    ><[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> Need a rear hitch bike rack. Was thinking of a Yakima ROC
    >> 2 for $112 USD.

    It's been discussed so much lately that nobody wanted to
    repeat themselves yet again. Read posts dating as far back
    as last week for all the information you want. Go to
    groups.google.com to read old posts. You can also search for
    relevant messages, and that will give you more information
    than you can handle.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  4. Curt

    Curt Guest

    Sorry I must have missed that. I have not been here that
    long. I looked on google and came up with a few things, but
    no much really. I did get an interesting answer on
    rec.bicycles.racing though. A guy told me this....

    Go to www.cabelas.com and look for the link to
    automotive/ATV, then look for cargo carriers/bike racks.
    ignore their bike rack selection, and check out the 48"
    hitch haul carrier. mount a couple of truck bed mounts like
    you can get from Performance or from any yakima dealer on
    the side rails (you'll have to figure out the spacing
    yourself, as well as drill holes) and voila', a two-bike
    carrier that can be used for LOT's of other uses, too. Less
    than $100 total.

    I thought it was an outstanding idea! Curt

    "Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:19:03 GMT, "curt"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Guess no one has a bike rack for their car out there. Any
    > >links to
    places
    > >that may be of help would be great. "curt"
    > ><[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> Need a rear hitch bike rack. Was thinking of a Yakima
    > >> ROC 2 for $112
    USD.

    > It's been discussed so much lately that nobody wanted to
    > repeat themselves yet again. Read posts dating as far back
    > as last week for all the information you want. Go to
    > groups.google.com to read old posts. You can also search
    > for relevant messages, and that will give you more
    > information than you can handle.
    > --
    > Rick Onanian

  5. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sorry I must have missed that. I have not been here that
    > long. I looked
    on
    > google and came up with a few things, but no much really.
    > I did get an interesting answer on rec.bicycles.racing
    > though. A guy told me this....
    >
    > Go to www.cabelas.com and look for the link to
    > automotive/ATV, then look for cargo carriers/bike racks.
    > ignore their bike rack selection, and check out the 48"
    > hitch haul carrier. mount a couple of truck bed mounts
    > like you can get from Performance or from any yakima
    > dealer on the side rails (you'll have to figure out the
    > spacing yourself, as well as drill holes) and voila', a
    > two-bike carrier that can be used for LOT's of other uses,
    > too. Less than $100 total.
    >
    > I thought it was an outstanding idea!

    Suprising and encouraging news. When I followed r.b.racing
    you would have been called a dumb-ass fred. Glad you got the
    info you were looking for.

    Matthew

  6. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sorry I must have missed that. I have not been here that
    > long. I looked
    on
    > google and came up with a few things, but no much really.
    > I did get an interesting answer on rec.bicycles.racing
    > though. A guy told me this....
    >
    > Go to www.cabelas.com and look for the link to
    > automotive/ATV, then look for cargo carriers/bike racks.
    > ignore their bike rack selection, and check out the 48"
    > hitch haul carrier. mount a couple of truck bed mounts
    > like you can get from Performance or from any yakima
    > dealer on the side rails (you'll have to figure out the
    > spacing yourself, as well as drill holes) and voila', a
    > two-bike carrier that can be used for LOT's of other uses,
    > too. Less than $100 total.
    >
    > I thought it was an outstanding idea! Curt

    Meant to add, if I had a $3000 bike it would go in the
    vehicle. If you go the Cabela route, I'd get locking mounts.

    Matthew

  7. Curt

    Curt Guest

    I was called a dumb-ass fred by a couple of people there.
    There are lots of bike snobs there, but some are cool. I
    thought that was a pretty good idea. I could put the
    bicycle inside, but it takes up quite a bit of room and I
    have a big dog.

    Curt

    "Matthew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Sorry I must have missed that. I have not been here that
    > > long. I
    looked
    > on
    > > google and came up with a few things, but no much
    > > really. I did get an interesting answer on
    > > rec.bicycles.racing though. A guy told me
    this....

    > > Go to www.cabelas.com and look for the link to
    > > automotive/ATV, then look for cargo carriers/bike racks.
    > > ignore their bike rack selection, and check out the 48"
    > > hitch haul carrier. mount a couple of truck bed mounts
    > > like you can get from Performance or from any yakima
    > > dealer on the side rails (you'll have to figure out the
    > > spacing yourself, as well as drill holes) and voila', a
    > > two-bike carrier that can be used for LOT's of other
    > > uses, too. Less than $100 total.
    > >
    > > I thought it was an outstanding idea!
    >
    > Suprising and encouraging news. When I followed r.b.racing
    > you would have been called a dumb-ass fred. Glad you got
    > the info you were looking for.
    >
    > Matthew

  8. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:bGG[email protected]...
    > Guess no one has a bike rack for their car out there. Any
    > links to places that may be of help would be great.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=4178&dept=41-
    25&product_id=1242569&path=0%3A4125%3A4178%3A49043

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/2umoc

    I have an older model of the Rhode Gear hitch mount 2 bike
    rack and I've been satisfied with it. It mounts firmly into
    the receiver so it doesn't rattle around. They also make a 4
    bike model. I gave a tire mount one to a friend and she has
    been satisfied with it as well. I just bungee the front
    wheel to the big chainring (after moving the chain to the
    little ring) so the front wheel & bars won't bang on my car.

    The only problem I have with it right now is I have to swing
    it (down*) on my Explorer to open the rear window. On my
    Expedition this wasn't a problem...or my Ranger either.

    Mine (and hers) allow the arms to pivot downward, out of the
    way, when there's no bikes to be carried.

    *If you look closely at the pic you can see a pin just
    above the horizontal bar that comes out of the hitch. Pull
    that pin and the entire thing will pivot downward and you
    can open the liftgate on the vehicle. I've actually done
    this with bikes attached (and bungeed to the vertical post
    on the rack) and it swung down and back up with no problem.
    You could probably do it without the bungee and allow the
    bike to rotate as the rack swings downward allowing the
    tires to hit the ground. I dont' worry about such niceties
    with my MTB.

    I believe someone makes one that will swing horizontally
    sort of like rear spare carriers.

    Also, give www.epinions.com and
    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Bike_Rack a look for more
    information.

    All that said, I'm sure there are nicer, more expensive
    racks, but I've been happy with mine.

    a.

  9. Curt

    Curt Guest

    Great information!

    I did some digging and found another rack that is right
    up my alley.

    roductId=3023559&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-
    1&color=&img=/largeimages/647318.jpg&view=large

    This is really what I am looking for and then some.

    Thanks for the research material, Curt

    news:%[email protected]...
    > "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Guess no one has a bike rack for their car out there.
    > > Any links to
    places
    > > that may be of help would be great.

    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=4178&dept=41-
    25&product_id=1242569&path=0%3A4125%3A4178%3A49043

    > or
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2umoc
    >
    > I have an older model of the Rhode Gear hitch mount 2 bike
    > rack and I've been satisfied with it. It mounts firmly
    > into the receiver so it doesn't rattle around. They also
    > make a 4 bike model. I gave a tire mount one to
    > friend and she has been satisfied with it as well. I just
    > bungee the
    front
    > wheel to the big chainring (after moving the chain to
    > the little ring) so the front wheel & bars won't bang
    > on my car.
    >
    > The only problem I have with it right now is I have to
    > swing it (down*) on my Explorer to open the rear
    > window. On my Expedition this wasn't a problem...or my
    > Ranger either.
    >
    > Mine (and hers) allow the arms to pivot downward, out of
    > the way, when there's no bikes to be carried.
    >
    > *If you look closely at the pic you can see a pin just
    > above the
    horizontal
    > bar that comes out of the hitch. Pull that pin and the
    > entire thing will pivot downward and you can open the
    > liftgate on the vehicle. I've
    actually
    > done this with bikes attached (and bungeed to the vertical
    > post on the
    rack)
    > and it swung down and back up with no problem. You could
    > probably do it without the bungee and allow the bike to
    > rotate as the rack swings
    downward
    > allowing the tires to hit the ground. I dont' worry about
    > such niceties with my MTB.
    >
    > I believe someone makes one that will swing horizontally
    > sort of like rear spare carriers.
    >
    > Also, give www.epinions.com and
    > http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Bike_Rack a
    look
    > for more information.
    >
    > All that said, I'm sure there are nicer, more expensive
    > racks, but I've
    been
    > happy with mine.
    >
    > a.

  10. "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Need a rear hitch bike rack. Was thinking of a Yakima ROC
    > 2 for $112 USD. The link is below. I just need a two bike
    > rack and want something good
    but
    > reasonable to carry my $3000 road bike.

    http://www.outdoorsports.com/osc/crd/item.asp?dept_id=29&pr-
    oduct_id=8002573

    Curt:

    The place for advice on rear hitch racks is:
    http://nordicgroup.us/rack.htm

    What to Look for in a Hitch Rack

    -Spread. If the rack holds the top tube with two arms, how
    far apart are the arms? You want them far apart enough to
    provide good support, but close together enough so that
    short frame bicycles can be carried. Avoid hitch racks where
    the frame is held by a narrow clamp of six inches or less;
    they have compromised the design to avoid the cost of two
    separate arms.

    -Do the arms fold? When you park, or if you keep the rack
    attached all the time (a bad idea), you'll want to be able
    to not have the arm(s) sticking several feet out toward the
    back of your vehicle. An injury could invite a nasty
    lawsuit. Thule's, Rhodegear's Interstate series, and
    Yakima's RimRoc all have folding arms.

    -Rear access. Does the rack fold down or pivot out far
    enough for you to open the back of your van or SUV. The more
    expensive racks that pivot let you gain access to the rear
    even with bicycles on the rack while the fold down racks
    require that you remove the bicycles first. The cheapest
    ones neither pivot or fold down.

    -Spare tire clearance. If you have a vehicle with a spare
    tire mounted on the back be sure that the rack clears it.

    -Wobble. If you use a standard hitch pin to secure the rack
    then it will wobble and rattle. There are several systems
    designed to eliminate wobble, from a collar with set screws
    to the use of a threaded bolt that secures the rack to the
    hitch rather than a pin.

    -Hold Downs. Some of the cheaper racks just have some hooks,
    you have to use bungee cords or other tie-downs to hold the
    bike. The better ones have cushioned rubber pads with
    straps. Unfortunately the only ones that have integral
    locking are the poorly designed single arm racks; with the
    others you have to use a cable lock.

    -Security. How is the rack locked to the hitch? How are the
    bikes locked to the rack? The advantage of the single arm
    racks with a solid mounting hold down plate over the top
    tube is that it it make the rack lockable, but the
    disadvantage of the single arm rack is so great that I would
    not use one just for this reason; you can just use a heavy
    cable lock.

    -Swinging. On the racks that hold the bike by the top tube,
    the bike can swing back and forth while on the car. Some of
    the more expensive top tube mount racks have a bottom
    support bar sticking out down near the wheels for you to
    secure the bottom of the bike.

    -Removeability. How fast and easy is it to remove the whole
    rack? Some of the RhodeGear racks are easy to partially
    remove but they leave the base sticking out beyond the
    bumper which is a very bad idea.

    -Storeability. How easy is it to store. The racks with arms
    that don't fold down, and/or masts that don't fold, are a
    pain to store because you can't store them flat. The
    pivoting masts are also a pain to store, but you gain the
    advantage of easier access to the rear of the vehicle.

    -Odd frames and Children's Frames. A lot of the hitch racks
    that hold the bikes by the top tube have a problem with odd
    frames, mixte ("ladies") frames, and children's frames. The
    racks that hold the bike by the wheels and crankarm will be
    easier to use with these. There are attachments to create a
    fake top-tube to use the top tube racks with mixte frames.
    On the top tube racks with dual arms you may be able to put
    children's bikes on them by hanging the bike by the wheels.

    -Other accessories. Many hitch racks have attachments
    available for skis.

    Weeding out the Junk and Making an Intelligent Choice

    -The reality is that most of the hitch racks are not well
    designed and it's easy to weed out the bad ones. IMVAIO, on
    the hitch racks with top tube mounts you should look for:

    * Dual fold-down arms
    * Pivot-out or fold-down mast
    * Anti-wobble device included
    * Integral locking of the rack to the hitch
    * Rubber Hold-downs with straps that don't come off to
    lose
    * Bottom support bar to prevent bikes from swinging
    * Comes with bicycle locking mechanism (standard)

    For a 4 bike, 2" hitch model, this would narrow down the
    choices to:

    1. Hollywood Road Runner 4 (note that some older ones are
    subject to a recall)
    2. Thule 994 Expressway Hitch Carrier

  11. Skyhooks

    Skyhooks Guest

    curt wrote:

    > Need a rear hitch bike rack. Was thinking of a Yakima ROC
    > 2 for $112 USD. The link is below. I just need a two bike
    > rack and want something good but reasonable to carry my
    > $3000 road bike.
    >
    > http://www.outdoorsports.com/osc/crd/item.asp?dept_id=29&-
    > product_id=8002573
    >
    > Thanks for any help, Curt

    Try a Drawtite rack, they're pretty good.
    <http://www.drawtite.com/bike%20carrier%20page.htm>.

    I recently purchased the towable rack for two bikes
    <http://www.drawtite.com/bike%207981.htm> because I have a
    small trailer I tow, as well. It works great!

    Of course, ymmw ;)

    Sky hmardis "aht" uiuc "daught" edu

  12. El Paisano

    El Paisano Guest

    "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > I was called a dumb-ass fred by a couple of people there.
    > There are lots
    of
    > bike snobs there, but some are cool. I thought that was a
    > pretty good
    idea.

    I wouldn't say they are snobs. First off, a query on bike
    racks really is OT for the racing group. A lot of it is good-
    natured "trash talking" and you should expect it. Anyone
    talking about their $3000 bike is bound to be called a Fred
    in that group and justifiably so IMHO. If you can't compete
    no one really gives a damn how much your bike cost. Actually
    even if you can race none of the regulars in that group care
    about your bike. It's not about the bike; it's about the
    cyclist. That said, it's folks like you and me that keep the
    bike industry alive in America.

    It's a good group of very knowledgeable people, but it's
    best to lurk and learn or not be hyper-sensitive if you do
    post because ignorance just is not tolerated by many in the
    group. Not much discussion on mountain bike or cyclocross
    racing though so it got pretty obnoxious in the winter. Now
    that road racing season is here I think I'll go back and
    lurk a bit.

  13. Curt

    Curt Guest

    I didn't post how much my bike costs over there. I have no
    idea why I mentioned it here. My bicycle is 10 years old and
    I plan on riding it into the ground, so I am not really one
    who spends tons of money.

    It is kind of off-topic, but it is certainly related
    to cycling.

    The group is ok. I like the name fred.

    Curt

    "El Paisano" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > > I was called a dumb-ass fred by a couple of people
    > > there. There are
    lots