One of my friends took apart his rear shock, and he said theres no compression. All the shock is in
the coil spring. Is that right? It has rode the same since it was bought. So is that right? Is it
supposed to be liek that? the shock is just for looks?
Cycling Equipment · Public discussion
rear shocks not REAL shocks?
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Cycling Equipment
- Published
- 18 July 2003
- Last activity
- 20 July 2003
- Original author
- Tj Poseno
- Posts
- 8
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 832
- Views / 30 days
- 0
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
"TJ Poseno" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
One of my friends took apart his rear shock, and he said theres no compression. All the shock is
in the coil spring. Is that right? It has rode the same since it was bought. So is that right? Is
it supposed to be liek that? the shock is just for looks?Depending on how much his bike cost, yes, I can see that being the case. If he paid $100 for his
bike new, chances are that if there WAS any kind of damping mechanism it's long since died. I would
not be surprised at all if there was no damping mechanism at all besides friction! Good shocks, such
as a Fox Vanilla, will have both compression and rebound damping. Some of the older suspension forks
had little or no damping as well, forks like the Rock Shox Quadra 21. They were a step up from no
suspension, but light years behind a good fork like a Marzocchi.Cheers,
Scott..
-
Quoted message said:
Depending on how much his bike cost, yes, I can see that being the case. If he paid $100 for his
bike new, chances are that if there WAS any kind of damping mechanism it's long since died. I
would not be surprised at all if there was no damping mechanism at all besides friction! Good
shocks, such as a Fox Vanilla, will have both compression and rebound damping. Some of the older
suspension forks had little or no damping as well, forks like the Rock Shox Quadra 21. They were a
step up from no suspension, but light years behind a good fork like a Marzocchi.Cheers,
Scott..
I looked at it more closely, and the ends is closed so it may have had some kind of dampening, but i
doubt it because it is such a cheap bike. Plus it was used and abused by a friend then given to me,
then i rebuilt it, and used and abused it again. And your right, he payed $100 for the bike new. At
wal-mart. LOL -
I heard a lot knowledge about chains an cogs but I agree with the last message before mine. A STIFF
LINK COULD BE THE REASON ! Because this aften happens witrh LBS's who are in a hurry !Try to find the stiff link Then give the stiff link a massage, which means bend it in the
horizental way.succes
"mark freedman" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
"Paul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:<[email hidden]>...Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
that the cassette doesn't need replacing yet.
Roloff (?spelling) makes a cog-checking tool. I don't know of anyone using it - maybe shops
prefer to sell new cassettes ? :-)Quoted message said:
The first time I had the chain changed there was some skipping
Has anybody mentioned stiff link(s) as a possibility ?
As I recall, Shimano doesn't have the PowerLink (tm) or equivalent, so you press in the pin and
then loosen the plates (?) with the chain tool, or by bending the chain a certain way. A stiff
link might work itself loose in a few km. I can't imagined a new chain wearing enough in a few
km to suddenly stop skipping on a worn cassette.www.sheldonbrown.com or the rec.bicycles faq or even Shimano should have something about this.
?
Quoted message said:
I also noticed that the new chain is very oily/greasy,SRAM chains are coated with a heavy lubricant which they
claim is very effective. Don't know SHimano. Some of the chain
lubes, such as ProLink, advise application onto bare metal.I usually ride a few hundred km on the original lube, then clean the chain thoroughly and
swotch to ProLink. I also found Boeshield worked well, but I can't find it locally and it
needed to set up overnight. YMMV.Quoted message said:
including the outer surfaces of the rollers,
Lots in the above resources about cleaning and lubing chains. Lube on the outside may deter
rust, but doesn't help the pins and rollers. I usually wipe of the surplus. It's the inner
bearing surfaces which must be clean and lubricated.hth
-
Ray Heindl said:
Quoted message said:
If the ends of the shock are closed, then dampening would have no effect except to clean the
exterior.Perhaps you meant damping?
In American English the two are interchangeable in this sense, according to various dictionaries.
Gleefuly I raced to my dictionaries, ready to pounce on Ray's challenge to my pedantry.
He is right. Damn, I hate that. But thanks for the correction.
--
Ted Bennett Portland OR -
Quoted message said:
Gleefuly I raced to my dictionaries, ready to pounce on Ray's challenge to my pedantry.
Make that "gleefully". Double damn.
--
Ted Bennett Portland OR -
I thought that the solid closed end had something to do with it, i must have been tired or
something. Seeing that now i wonder why i wrote that... -
Ted Bennett said:
Ray Heindl said:
Quoted message said:
If the ends of the shock are closed, then dampening would have no effect except to clean the
exterior.Perhaps you meant damping?
In American English the two are interchangeable in this sense, according to various dictionaries.
Gleefuly I raced to my dictionaries, ready to pounce on Ray's challenge to my pedantry.
He is right. Damn, I hate that. But thanks for the correction.
You're welcome. I looked it up years ago, after an engineering class in which "dampening" was used
where I would have used "damping", and had the same reaction as you.--
Ray Heindl (remove the X to reply)
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.