UK and Europe · Public discussion

Rear suspension, what do you think?

Started by Rich · · Last activity · 6 posts · 234 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
15 April 2007
Last activity
15 April 2007
Original author
Rich
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
234
Views / 30 days
6
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm thinking of getting a new mountain bike and am contemplating whether to
    go for rear suspension or not.

    What are the pros and cons?

    --
    Rich

    http://www.badangling.com -= Sea fishing badly explained =-

  2. Rich said:

    I'm thinking of getting a new mountain bike and am contemplating whether
    to go for rear suspension or not.
    What are the pros and cons?

    Honestly, if you have to ask you don't need them. Numbers I have seen
    bandied about, in here, £800~£1000+ is the sort of start region for a
    bike to have DECENT rear suspension, then the price goes up to ... well
    the sky's the limit. Cheap (relatively) rear suspension is likely to be
    badly engineered and heavy for what it does, stay clear unless you know
    what it would do for you.

    --
    www.cheesesoup.myby.co.uk

  3. in message 46227e47.0@entanet said:

    I'm thinking of getting a new mountain bike and am contemplating whether
    to go for rear suspension or not.

    What are the pros and cons?

    Pro:
    Absurdly flatters your skill on really technical sections
    Less tiring on epic rides
    Better traction on very loose surfaces

    Con:
    If it's any good, it's VERY expensive; if it isn't expensive it isn't going
    to be good
    Some pedal bob, although modern systems do minimise this
    Some weight penalty
    Some complexity/maintenance penalty, especially on multi-pivot systems

    Nice full suspension bikes are very nice indeed. Bad ones are awful. The
    cheapest good ones just now are probably the Giant Trance 3 (and you can
    get good discounts just now on 2006 Trances which are actually better than
    this year's model).
    http://www.giantbicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/mountain/219/

    The ones I lust after are the Nicolai Nucleon AMX (5,000 Euros frame and
    gearbox only) and the Cannondale Rush Carbon (£3,000 complete)

    http://www.nicolai.net/products/e-frames/e-nuc-amx.html
    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/cusa/mountain/rush/model-7VM0.html

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; when in the [censored], the wise man plants courgettes

  4. soup <[email hidden]> typed:

    Quoted message said:
    Rich said:

    I'm thinking of getting a new mountain bike and am contemplating whether
    to go for rear suspension or not.
    What are the pros and cons?

    Honestly, if you have to ask you don't need them. Numbers I have seen
    bandied about, in here, £800~£1000+ is the sort of start region for a
    bike to have DECENT rear suspension, then the price goes up to ... well
    the sky's the limit. Cheap (relatively) rear suspension is likely to be
    badly engineered and heavy for what it does, stay clear unless you know
    what it would do for you.

    <AOL>
    Wot e sed ... 😉
    </AOL>

    Rear sus, if it's [censored] is a real pain in the [censored], pun intended, it doesn't
    do what it's supposed to do, which is keep the rear wheel on the ground as
    much as possible.

    Many bikes compromise on rear sus to have decent componentry elsewhere, and
    it's a compromise that, IMHO, doesn't often work at all, let alone properly.

    --
    Paul - [censored]

  5. Rich said:

    I'm thinking of getting a new mountain bike and am contemplating whether to
    go for rear suspension or not.

    What are the pros and cons?

    I had a FS MTB for 2 years, and have now gone back to hardtail.
    Weight was a perceived issue, though the FS bike was only around 2lbs
    heavier than my current HT mtb.
    Ugly looking frame, with no way of lifting it on my shoulder going over
    stiles/logs etc was another downside.
    Maybe it is my riding style, but I dont think the rear sus helped me
    much, I generally use it for MTB races (up to 2 hours long), and the
    occasional night ride in the Peak District. If I was doing a 6 hour
    enduro, then my [censored] might like the FS, but as it is, the HT suits me
    fine, and I dont think it has slowed me down at all.

    There was an article a couple of years ago in MBR (I think) which
    compared riders times when doing the Red Bull 24hr race at West Brom.
    The course was mainly flat land, with a couple of raliway embankments,
    and a few sections of lumpy grass, usually around 50 minutes a lap.
    IIRC, all but one rider did better on the FS than the HT, yet they all
    said they felt they were going slower on the FS.

    Get it if you can afford a decent set-up, but get the best you can, as
    cheaper means heavier.
    Alan.
    --
    To reply by e-mail, change the ' + ' to 'plus'.

  6. Rich said:

    I'm thinking of getting a new mountain bike and am contemplating whether to
    go for rear suspension or not.

    What are the pros and cons?

    --
    Rich

    http://www.badangling.com -= Sea fishing badly explained =-

    Depends on how you ride and where. If you want to get into DH or FR
    then you'll need full sus. If you feel bust up and beaten after every
    ride because the trails are so rough, then full sus may help. If you
    ride some long up hill trails where you're constantly having to stop
    pedaling to lift/hop the back wheel over roots and rocks a full sus
    can allow you to pedal straight over problems. If you like long days
    in the saddle, 4 hour plus epic rides, a full sus can help in the
    comfort department. If you like dropping off 4 foot ledges at speed,
    then a full sus bike can help absorb some of that impact.

    As other folks have said, a good full suspension bike will cost you
    loads (> 800 squid) and there's no point in buying a bad full
    suspension bike, you'll just hate it. If you can justify a full sus
    bike because of the terrain you ride or the way you want to ride there
    are no cons. I have a full sus and a hardtail and ride either
    depending on where I'm riding and what sort of ride I'm planning.

    Oh, one con is your costs and time for maintainence have just jumped
    up by a third.

    Laters,

    Marz

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.