Rear Suspension

Ashika

May 5, 2007
Is there a type of Rear Suspension that is nearly identical to a hard tail except a coil spring on the beam with the seat on it?

Are you talking about suspension seat posts? Cane Creek and USE make some.

Or are you talking bout somthing like this?

sus2.JPG

Mampara said:
Are you talking about suspension seat posts? Cane Creek and USE make some.

Or are you talking bout somthing like this?

sus2.JPG
Im talking abvout like in the image. Is that a good form of suspension or should I go hardtail

first of all, hello everyone, i am an avid cyclist and a new member of these forums. and i am just now realizing how lame i sound.

anyway, to respond to the original post, i bought a specialized epic comp a few days ago and it is phenomenal. i have been road racing for years but have not ridden a mountain bike since i was 20. (33 now) i was looking for a bike that would not bob at all durring the pedal stroke and this does feel like a hardtail, the old stiff, sketchy-on-downhill, hardtail that i remember hammering on. except it flies down hills like i'm skiing back at snowbird. smooth and steady everywhere. highly recommended

ok, starting to sound like a specialized commercial (most of my other bikes have been cannondale). live in mass now and me and the lady friend are moving to utah in july. riding a mountain bike again, i feel like i am reliving my adolscence. i'm gonna build a figure 8 in my front yard. invite friends over for trials, races, beer fests, etc.

Ashika said:
Im talking abvout like in the image. Is that a good form of suspension or should I go hardtail
Its an old design from the 90's...I remember Specialized and K2 offering this set-up..the S-Works model was quite expensive but essentially just a cromolly frame

It still works, but doesn't offer as much travel as many of the newer bikes and puts a lot of lateral stress on the shock

re: photo: In the absence of any actual joints in the frame apart from the shock, it seems to be reliant on frame flex to give you the suspension.

I'd be rather concerned about fatigue failure at the welds.

Go with a more modern design.

j.r.hawkins said:
re: photo: In the absence of any actual joints in the frame apart from the shock, it seems to be reliant on frame flex to give you the suspension.

I'd be rather concerned about fatigue failure at the welds.

Go with a more modern design.
I'd go with Hawkins,i,ve seen frames crack with full linked,suspension,and under normal cross country riding no jumps and single track.either opt for hard tail or go modern suspension system with lockout.

HowardSteele said:
I'd go with Hawkins,i,ve seen frames crack with full linked,suspension,and under normal cross country riding no jumps and single track.either opt for hard tail or go modern suspension system with lockout.
this design was state of the art back in the day, however, I'd worry more about that non-replaceable hanger...one good hit and you can throw the frame away, or go single speed

Litespeed is also experimenting with a pivotless swing arm but they did flatten the stays so that they could flex.

Litespeed_Sewanee_Wolff_flattened_stays.jpg

Mampara said:
Litespeed is also experimenting with a pivotless swing arm but they did flatten the stays so that they could flex.

Litespeed_Sewanee_Wolff_flattened_stays.jpg
Nice looking hardware,LOOKS VERY COMPLICATED,but i do notice a universal link which probibly allows some swing.