rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Rear-view mirror for muni/coker?

Started by terrybigwheel · · Last activity · 15 posts · 216 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
28 April 2006
Last activity
12 August 2006
Original author
terrybigwheel
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
216
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Does anyone use and/or recommend a good rear-view mirror that can be
    attached to glasses or helmet? I want something like this for muni and
    coker rides not only to see bicyclists that may be behind me, but to
    alert me to motorists coming from behind as well when/if I'm near
    traffic.🙂

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

    Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. 😎

    You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! 😄
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48966

  2. terrybigwheel said:

    Does anyone use and/or recommend a good rear-view mirror that can be
    attached to glasses or helmet? I want something like this for muni and
    coker rides not only to see bicyclists that may be behind me, but to
    alert me to motorists coming from behind as well when/if I'm near
    traffic.🙂

    I've tried 3 glasses mounted mirrors: 3rd Eye; Take-a-Look; Heads Up. A
    Google groups search for posts to uk.rec.cycling with me as the author
    and mentioning mirrors will find comparisons. Mostly I use them on my
    recumbent, but they're also very useful on the Coker.

    All 3 mirrors give a good view to the rear. I wouldn't recommend the
    Heads Up, as mine broke within a few weeks. The 3rd Eye tends to break
    in cold weather, but is otherwise an excellent mirror.

    I find that the 3rd Eye is the best mirror if I'm wearing cycling
    glasses with prescription inserts. The Take-a-Look is the best mirror
    if I'm wearing contact lenses. The Take-a-Look is also the best to use
    through the winter, simply to save money on broken 3rd Eyes.

    The 3rd Eye is the coolest looking mirror. The Take-a-Look looks
    rather geeky, but the look can be improved with a little imagination.

    Helmet mounted mirrors are of no use to me due to the associated
    requirement to wear a helmet. I never cycle without glasses of some
    description. YMMV.

    --
    Danny Colyer

    http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/
    Subscribe to PlusNet http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Danny Colyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11637
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48966

  3. Danny Colyer said:

    I've tried 3 glasses mounted mirrors: 3rd Eye; Take-a-Look; Heads Up. A
    Google groups search for posts to uk.rec.cycling with me as the author
    and mentioning mirrors will find comparisons. Mostly I use them on my
    recumbent, but they're also very useful on the Coker.

    All 3 mirrors give a good view to the rear. I wouldn't recommend the
    Heads Up, as mine broke within a few weeks. The 3rd Eye tends to break
    in cold weather, but is otherwise an excellent mirror.

    I find that the 3rd Eye is the best mirror if I'm wearing cycling
    glasses with prescription inserts. The Take-a-Look is the best mirror
    if I'm wearing contact lenses. The Take-a-Look is also the best to use
    through the winter, simply to save money on broken 3rd Eyes.

    The 3rd Eye is the coolest looking mirror. The Take-a-Look looks
    rather geeky, but the look can be improved with a little imagination.

    Helmet mounted mirrors are of no use to me due to the associated
    requirement to wear a helmet. I never cycle without glasses of some
    description. YMMV.

    are there any piks of these mirrors i am to lazy to google them

    --
    jake_amos

    edsbelly said:

    I Would say that your the best unicyclist i know with the exception of
    every other unicyclist i know

    i am the eggman
    [email hidden] add me
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jake_amos's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11587
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48966

  4. jake_amos said:

    are there any piks of these mirrors i am to lazy to google them

    I'm too lazy to answer that.

    --
    magic lobster
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    magic lobster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11774
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48966

  5. magic lobster said:

    I'm too lazy to answer that.

    good answer

    --
    jake_amos

    edsbelly said:

    I Would say that your the best unicyclist i know with the exception of
    every other unicyclist i know

    i am the eggman
    [email hidden] add me
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jake_amos's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11587
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48966

  6. I started using a rear view mirror for road uni riding Spring of '05.
    It's the smallest piece of equipment I've purchased that's had the
    greatest impact on my riding and more importantly my safety. It has
    become as indispensable as my helmet and I now refuse to road ride
    without it. I highly recommend it.

    Here's a photo of the one I use.
    [image:
    http://www.terrybicycles.com/product_images/display/7402600.gif]

    --
    unipsychler

    Interested in learning to ride the unicycle QUICKLY AND SAFELY? Or how
    about getting one of the coolest uni t-shirts around? Check out my
    website at www.ridetheunicycle.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unipsychler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9338
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48966

  7. unipsychler said:

    I started using a rear view mirror for road uni riding Spring of '05.
    It's the smallest piece of equipment I've purchased that's had the
    greatest impact on my riding and more importantly my safety. It has
    become as indispensable as my helmet and I now refuse to road ride
    without it. I highly recommend it.

    Here's a photo of the one I use.
    [image:
    http://www.terrybicycles.com/product_images/display/7402600.gif]

    Is that the "-take a look-" brand?

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

    Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. 😎

    You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! 😄
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48966

  8. Yes, Bike Peddler Take A Look Original Cyclist Eyeglass Mirror
    Rectangle. It's available at Amazon.com or possibly your local bike
    shop.

    --
    unipsychler

    Interested in learning to ride the unicycle QUICKLY AND SAFELY? Or how
    about getting one of the coolest uni t-shirts around? Check out my
    website at www.ridetheunicycle.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unipsychler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9338
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48966

  9. I use the Heads Up...picture below. It works well for me, and can fit
    on either my regular glasses or my sunglasses. My first mirror was a
    helmet mounted model after I saw famed distance rider Lars Clausen
    using one, but I didn't really like it, and couldn't get it to fit well
    on my style of helmet. I like the Head Up glasses mounted mirror much
    better. It's also two part, so if you break the stem part (most likely
    to break), you can at least salvage the mirror as a back-up. They
    don't last forever, but at $12 a pop, it's a good safety investment. I
    keep a primary and backup at all times.

    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    |Filename: B00012346Y.01-A14YJK68RCA7I2._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ.jpg |
    |Download: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/13196 |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    tomblackwood

    Tailgate at your own risk...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tomblackwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3762
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48966

  10. tomblackwood said:

    It's also two part, so if you break the stem part (most likely to
    break), you can at least salvage the mirror as a back-up.

    That's one of the reasons I prefer the Take-A-Look, -NONE- of it is
    likely to break 🙂 - it's made of steel and brass - and it can be bent
    :eek: to my preference. It can be used on either side of a helmet or
    glasses (for those of you that ride on the other side of the road
    :rolleyes🙂 and it vibrates less than any of the plastic mirrors I've
    tried.😎

    --
    brian.slater

    Brian C. Slater
    AKA: Snoopy

    Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
    Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference. If you try not
    to confuse me, that will confuse me.

    "To not decide is to decide" - undecided
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48966

  11. jake_amos said:

    are there any piks of these mirrors i am to lazy to google them

    I'll even tell you where to buy them, if you're happy to pay for
    shipping from the other side of the world.

    3rd Eye and Heads Up:
    http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/mirrors.shtml

    Take-a-Look:
    http://tinyurl.com/nejjt

    --
    Danny Colyer

    http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/
    Subscribe to PlusNet http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Danny Colyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11637
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48966

  12. I'm relatively new to this forum but I must ask anyone who reads this,
    I'm from Western Australia and I'm wishing to get a helmet/eyeglass
    mounted mirror but I only get the dregs here (as perth and to a lesser
    degree the Eastern States are primarily "car cities" and don't have the
    economies of scale nessisary to support anything but the basics in
    cycle accessories. I tried the Take-A-Look mirror on amazon but to ship
    it to australia is going to cost me 51USD (13 (25%) of which is the
    cost of the mirror!!!!!!!!!!)

    So my question is does anyone know of a cheaper way to get my hands on
    such.

    (I have no US or for that matter foreign friends that have access to
    such nor do I ever intend to set foot on US soil in the near or
    moderate to far distant future.)

    --
    ThorUngal
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ThorUngal's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12929
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48966

  13. Whilst I was browsing in the LBS a few months ago, I saw a helmet with a
    pretty nifty built-in mirror. The 'looking-at-part' was built in to the
    visor of the helmet which reflected everything seen behind you using a
    convex (or concave?) mirror running along the top and centre of the
    helmet. I thought it was a very good idea.
    Can't remember the name of it for the life of me though.
    Sorry.

    --
    Into the blue

    "Now listen up, you primitive screwheads...See this?...This is my -BOOM-
    stick!"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Into the blue's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12084
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48966

  14. 'This site ' (http://www.icebike.com/Equipment/cyclingmirrors.htm)really
    likes the Take A Look mirror. They can be obtained from:

    Bike Peddler Bike Products
    5991 W 26th St
    Greeley, CO 80634
    (970) 339-2453

    I don't think they have a website.

    Two biker friends have helmet-mounted mirrors that have goosenecks to
    bend/twist them in an infinite number of directions. I need to find
    where they got them. Does anyone know?

    --
    patmoore

    MY GALLERY (\"HTTP://TINYURL.COM/MHCHU\"😉
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"

    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    patmoore's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7356
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48966

  15. I've used the same "take-a-look" mirror for many years and 1000's of
    miles on my recumbent, finding it to be the best one for my needs.
    Never thought of using it on my uni, until last week when I was
    "brushed" from behind by a mountain biker and knocked to my knees.
    Been off it a week recovering. Think I'll start riding with my mirror,
    and recommend it to others...

    --
    mhall9150
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mhall9150's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12175
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48966

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.