rear wheel - quick release - newbie question...

toravir

Guest
Hi,
I am not fully familiar with the rearwheel quick release :( even
though i have removed and fitted it 10/15 times now. here is the
question - i decided to clean the cassette and i removed the rearwheel
and after i fit it back, i guess the wheel went unaligned - because i
see that one of the brake pads scratch when in locked position. -- not
sure why it can get out of alignment... the quick release seems a
straight fwd logic, but doesn't occur to me as to what can be done to
it :(

any pointers/suggestions much appreciated.

thanks,
ravi

On 1 Sep 2004 20:20:08 -0700, [email protected] (toravir) wrote:

>Hi,
>I am not fully familiar with the rearwheel quick release :( even
>though i have removed and fitted it 10/15 times now. here is the
>question - i decided to clean the cassette and i removed the rearwheel
>and after i fit it back, i guess the wheel went unaligned - because i
>see that one of the brake pads scratch when in locked position. -- not
>sure why it can get out of alignment... the quick release seems a
>straight fwd logic, but doesn't occur to me as to what can be done to
>it :(
>
>any pointers/suggestions much appreciated.
>
>thanks,
>ravi

Take the bike by the LBS the next time you go in and ask them to do it
while you watch?

(The most likely reason is that you don't have the axel all the way up into
the frame.)

-B

On 1 Sep 2004 20:20:08 -0700, [email protected] (toravir) wrote:

>Hi,
>I am not fully familiar with the rearwheel quick release :( even
>though i have removed and fitted it 10/15 times now. here is the
>question - i decided to clean the cassette and i removed the rearwheel
>and after i fit it back, i guess the wheel went unaligned - because i
>see that one of the brake pads scratch when in locked position. -- not
>sure why it can get out of alignment... the quick release seems a
>straight fwd logic, but doesn't occur to me as to what can be done to
>it :(
>
>any pointers/suggestions much appreciated.
>
>thanks,
>ravi

Hi, release it and pull the the wheel back, making sure it is fully in
place. Then engage the QR. If it is still not straight, you may have
to release it, line up the rear wheel, so it is centered, as well as
in as far as possible, then close the QR.

Odds are, you don't have it correctly in place. Is the chain on the
correct cog, in relation to the position of your rear derailleur? It
seems to be easiest to do this with the derailleur shifted to the
smallest cog.
Just keep messing with it, until you get it right;-)

Life is Good!
Jeff

"Jeff Starr" wrote: (clip) Just keep messing with it, until you get it right
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Because the wheel has a much larger radius than width, a very small error in
seating the axle will be magnified at the rim. The way I know I got it
right is that my brakes start working right, instead of dragging on one
side.

1 Sep 2004 20:20:08 -0700,
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] (toravir) wrote:

>i decided to clean the cassette and i removed the rearwheel
>and after i fit it back, i guess the wheel went unaligned

When refitting the wheel, sight it up at the chain stays and the seat
stays. As long as you didn't change any spacers on the axle, the wheel
should stay centered when you tighten the QR.

Make sure the axle is fully seated in the drop-outs. That's generally
easier to do with the bike standing on its wheels.

If the axle is slipping when you pedal the QR isn't holding. Perhaps
it's loose or it may be a defective sort.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html
--
zk

Zoot Katz wrote:
|| 1 Sep 2004 20:20:08 -0700,
|| <[email protected]>,
|| [email protected] (toravir) wrote:
||| i decided to clean the cassette and i removed the rearwheel
||| and after i fit it back, i guess the wheel went unaligned
|| When refitting the wheel, sight it up at the chain stays and the seat
|| stays. As long as you didn't change any spacers on the axle, the
|| wheel should stay centered when you tighten the QR.
|| Make sure the axle is fully seated in the drop-outs. That's generally
|| easier to do with the bike standing on its wheels.
|| If the axle is slipping when you pedal the QR isn't holding. Perhaps
|| it's loose or it may be a defective sort.
|| http://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html
|| --
|| zk

Be sure to fully open the QR too....if you don't open it enough, you won't
be able to get the axle fully seated in the drop-outs.

Roger Zoul wrote:
> Zoot Katz wrote:
>>> 1 Sep 2004 20:20:08 -0700,
>>> <[email protected]>,

>>> When refitting the wheel, sight it up at the chain stays and the
>>> seat stays. As long as you didn't change any spacers on the axle,
>>> the wheel should stay centered when you tighten the QR.
>>>
>>> Make sure the axle is fully seated in the drop-outs. That's
>>> generally easier to do with the bike standing on its wheels.
>>>
>>> If the axle is slipping when you pedal the QR isn't holding. Perhaps
>>> it's loose or it may be a defective sort.
>>> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html
>>> --
>>> zk

> Be sure to fully open the QR too....if you don't open it enough, you
> won't be able to get the axle fully seated in the drop-outs.

One final thing: make sure you didn't just knock the brakes arms a little.
It's easy to bump one pad as you remove a wheel; just readjust 'em once
wheel is back in.

Bill "but chainstay lineup is MOST vital" S.

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 16:40:06 GMT, S o r n i <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Roger Zoul wrote:

>> Be sure to fully open the QR too....if you don't open it enough, you
>> won't be able to get the axle fully seated in the drop-outs.

> One final thing: make sure you didn't just knock the brakes arms a
> little.
> It's easy to bump one pad as you remove a wheel; just readjust 'em once
> wheel is back in.
>
> Bill "but chainstay lineup is MOST vital" S.

On most bikes I have worked on the gear side is mounted as far as it will
go into the hole and the other side is moved back and forth to straighten
the wheel. This is due to simple physics since the gears always get the
mechanical pull when you pedal and the derailuer takes up the slack.
Even a kids one speed is mounted in whatever way the chain is tight and
the wheel alignment is done with the other side.
You can't redesign the bike.
Bill Baka

Thanks for the quick and very useful replies.

I was pulling the wheel all the way in - on both ends - so i guess that
is what i was doing wrong - i did a little adjustment and locked the QR
- and all is well - i was worried may be the shifting may be
out-of-order - because there is a change in the distance or alignment -
but luckily, i got the shifting working good. I will take the bike into
LBS over the weekend to check it out anyways.

thanks, i was able to do the ride, i planned for today morning - just
got back from the ride - no hiccups. thanks all of your expert replies.

thanks,
ravi