Insaneclimber said:i reciently changed to chromo cranks.
Really? What sort? Not even the bulkiest track sprinters use steel crank arms.
What type of rims do you have? I assume if you want stiff wheels for climbing, you're riding up hills that aren't so steep (not much lateral force generated if you're creeping up a 15% mountain 🙂), and you're spending some time off the saddle.
The best thing for a stiff wheel is a deeper rim. I have some clunky old Mavic CXP30s, which are stiff as bricks, totally bomb proof, but kinda heavy. If you're going up long, steep climbs, you obviously don't want heavy wheels. There lies the conundrum: weight vs rigidity, and the best way to get the best of both worlds is buy very expensive carbon wheels. 🙂 Other than that, if you stick to affordable wheels (aluminium), you've gotta find that balance between weight, stiffness, durability and price! Some companies make light wheels which they claim are stiff, but their durability is probably questionable.
I recommend something around 25mm or deeper.
In my opinion, forks are often overlooked when it comes to out of the saddle, lateral rigidity. People buy light, comfortable forks, but they get off the saddle, and their weight moves forward, the forks flex all over the place. I had a light and flexy full-carbon Mizuno fork on one of my bikes, then I changed to a Columbus Link fork (alu steerer), and the difference was amazing -- it was like a differnent bike. Generally, forks with alu steerers tend to be stiffer than light, full-carbons