UK and Europe · Public discussion

Reasonable? Necessary? You Decide

Started by Nuxx Bar · · Last activity · 115 posts · 2,384 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
23 February 2008
Last activity
11 March 2008
Original author
Nuxx Bar
Posts
115
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,384
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 81–100 of 115
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Nuxx Bar" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Would you be prepared to
    slow down to 10mph or pull over temporarily in such a situation, not
    because you're "second-class traffic", but because it would be a
    courteous and considerate thing to do?

    Yes I would and in fact I do this quite regularly on the days I cycling to
    and from work.

    I don't like holding people up any more than the people like to be held up
    so tend to look for places to move over whenever something comes up behind
    me. If I can't find anywhere safe to stop then I will try to cycle as
    briskly as is feasible to try and get to a stretch of road where it is safe
    to overtake.

    Quoted message said:


    It depends on the DWL. Many are placed with the overtaking of 40mph
    lorries in mind. It requires significantly less distance to overtake
    a 15mph cyclist. Also some are placed in villages to "stop people
    speeding". Again, this doesn't apply with 15mph cyclists.

    Thank you for not trolling BTW. (It comes to something when it's
    actually remarkable *not* to get a trolling reply. How sad that no-
    one is allowed to come onto urc and even hint at sticking up for the
    motorist, even when they stick up for cyclists at the same time. It
    really does give the lie to claims that the trolls don't hate
    motorists. They don't seem to realise that every time they troll they
    just prove what I've been saying about them. Those silly, silly
    trolls.)

    Bobby Lightcycles

  2. Mark McNeill said:

    Response to Nuxx Bar

    [30-odd lines snipped unread]

    Wow - to borrow a gag from "Private Eye", you do like the sight of your
    own voice, don't you? Wouldn't you like to write a bit more?

    BTW, the vast majority of my previous reply was nothing to do with
    you. Looks like you're self-centred as well as a complete twatty
    clone troll.

  3. On Feb 25, 9:07 pm, [email hidden] (Ekul

    Namsob) said:
    Nuxx Bar said:

    Three little words. "I hate motorists." You can do it.

    Most of us are motorists too.

    I said it wouldn't take long.

  4. On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:48:44 -0800 (PST), Nuxx Bar
    <[email hidden]> said in
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    Why do you keep writing [censored] in the threads
    that I start?

    Just following your lead, is my guess.

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

  5. On Feb 25, 9:07 pm, [email hidden] (Ekul

    Namsob) said:
    Nuxx Bar said:

    As I said, anyone who sticks to properly and honestly debating road
    safety, rather than deliberately snarling up the discussion with
    personal attacks, is welcome.

    So, are you willing to properly and honestly debate road safety here? If
    so, would you mind doing as you were asked and as you promised to do
    several days ago so that we can clear up the points of confusion?

    The problem, you see, is that you keep referring to anti-motorist
    measures, you keep accusing people of hypocrisy and of lying and yet you
    refuse to tell us what these so-called anti-motorist measures are.

    You know perfectly well what they are. They're the ones that you
    advocate without question because they restrict and/or punish the
    motorist. They're all around us. Road policy "innovations" in the
    last 15 years have consisted of very little else. You and the others
    are just trying to waste my time and get me to jump through hoops by
    telling me to list them. Even if you claim not to believe that
    they're anti-motorist measures, you know exactly which measures I'm
    talking about. What typical troll tactics. Anything to delay the
    discussion reaching its logical conclusion and the truth coming out.

    Nevertheless, I'll do it (when *I* decide), because I'll only have to
    do it once, and then the "I don't know what anti-motorist measures you
    mean" avenue is closed off to the trolls forever. And no doubt that
    when I do start the thread, you will be one of the first to reply,
    with a wretchedly useless, unpleasant and vague post about how I
    shouldn't have posted what I did (despite you telling me to do it in
    the first place). The fact that you complain about every topic I
    start, yet you haven't killfiled me (as I've already asked you to do),
    indicates to me that you like trolling in my threads.

    The list will be worth waiting for, I can assure you. It'll be really
    funny watching the trolls claim that not a single instance of a single
    one of the measures anywhere in the country has been implemented for
    even slightly anti-motorist reasons (because they can say that with
    100% certainty of course). And it'll be oh-so-telling when they'll
    have to admit to mysteriously supporting each and every one of the
    measures, whether or not they actually save lives, ease congestion or
    do any good whatsoever. It'll be a coincidence like you've never seen
    before. Except of course that it'll be one of those "coincidences"
    that actually has a perfectly logical explanation.

    The liars really should take a step back and realise how absurd this
    "I'm not at all anti-motorist" thing has become. This is the trouble
    with lying: once you tell one lie, you have to say ever more
    preposterous things to cover it up. And some of the things that the
    trolls say to cover up the "I'm not anti-motorist" lie are way beyond
    preposterous. Why are they lying at all? It must be that they're
    ashamed of their position; it's the only thing that makes any sense
    whatsoever. They are clearly incredibly worried about the prospect of
    having to justify and defend their anti-motorist stance. They would
    have to be to bother telling such farcical lies. It really is
    ridiculous. Absolutely barking. It would be like all Safe Speed and
    ABD members turning round and saying "We're not on the motorist's
    side". Well, they are on the motorist's side, so it makes sense that
    those of you who oppose them would be anti-motorist. For heaven's
    sake tell the truth trolls, before you lose every last shred of
    credibility. You've had your fun, and now it's time to debate
    properly and truthfully.

  6. Don Whybrow said:
    Nuxx Bar said:

    It's lucky God doesn't exist, otherwise He'd be very, very cross with
    the likes of you.

    Blasphemer!

    Heh. I didn't notice that, although maybe it was subconscious, as I
    would *never* normally use the word "cross" in such a way.

    [quote="Quoted message"][i] By jingo, the sig generator must have had some divine inspiration.[/quote]

    Indeed, and it's a good 'un. Dawkins said something very similar in
    "The Root of All Evil?" I shall have to research this Roberts
    character.

  7. Don Whybrow said:
    Nuxx Bar said:

    Three little words. "I hate motorists." You can do it.

    I hate reckless, inconsiderate idiots.

    In public transport, these are the people that insist on smoking on the
    top deck of the bus, playing their music loudly and shouting insults at
    each other.

    On the pavements, they are the people who walk around with umbrella's up
    when it is scarcely drizzling and never mind the pointy bits getting in
    other peoples faces, or they walk 3 abreast in rush hour at barely a crawl.

    On bikes, they are the pavement cycling, red light jumping, unlit urban
    terrorists that think that the highway code is purely for cars.

    In HGV's, they are they people that pull up at junctions alongside
    vulnerable road users and then turn left crushing them against railings.

    In PSV's and taxis, they are the drivers who think that the bus, cycle &
    taxi lane is not for cyclists and they can be brushed aside into the gutter.

    In other motorised vehicles, they are the ones that are so keen to save
    the odd minute from their journey that they put other road users in danger.

    In ...

    Fortunately, despite these things being apparently all too common, most
    people are not reckless, inconsiderate idiots. It is just a shame that
    the few with the opportunity to cause death or serious injury to other
    people are all in charge of motorised vehicles.

    Thank you for that honest reply. I don't know why others here
    apparently find it so difficult to admit that they even have the
    slightest reservations about the car as a mode of transport.

  8. On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:55:13 -0000, "Adam Lea" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "Simon Brooke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message >
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Nuxx Bar wrote:
    6. Location: a stretch of rural NSL road with double white lines.

    A Cyclist is cycling down the road at 15mph. A Motorist comes up
    behind the Cyclist having been safely proceeding at the 60mph speed
    limit, and slows down to 15mph. The Motorist could overtake the
    Cyclist without crossing the double white lines, but to do so would
    mean going closer to the Cyclist than would be ideal (since the
    Cyclist is wobbling somewhat). After checking that there is no
    oncoming traffic for a sufficient distance, the Motorist briskly
    overtakes the Cyclist, briefly going around 0.5m over the double white
    lines to ensure that there is ample space. The Motorist is fined by a
    policeman who was observing from an unmarked car behind.

    Lucky to get away with his licence, should have had it taken off him
    permanently. Deliberately endangered the life of both the cyclist and
    oncoming traffic. Personally, I'd shoot the [censored].

    Motorists do this all the time when I am cycling to work. The A29 is good
    for 50-60mph along most of its length and I guess that some motorists can't
    be bothered to slow down and wait until I have reached the stretch of road
    with the broken white line.

    I am puzzled about the "checking for oncoming traffic for a sufficient
    distance" bit by Nuxx Bar. In my experience double white lines are placed in
    areas where the sightlines are poor so I'm not sure how the motorist can
    check for oncoming traffic for a sufficient distance.

    This used to be the case, but there are many locations now where
    double white lines have appeared where it can be safe to overtake,
    especially if riding a motorcycle or overtaking a slow moving vehicle.
    However, as a law abiding person, I no longer overtake in these places
    if I would have to cross the double white line.

    M.

  9. He's not the messia, he's a naughty boy.

    Good grief, maybe the safespeeding forum served the same purpose as
    The Isle Of Sheppey- an official policy of containment so all the mono-
    browed knuckle draggers are kept together and kept an eye on so they
    don't contaminate normal society.

    Far better that safespeeding attracts these bods, the ones who
    literally [censored] themselves in fury at traffic wardens or speed cameras
    or whatever and whine ceaselessly about how traffic law fines are
    exactly like living in Nazi Germany.

    Paul Smith lookalike:

    http://www.brianmicklethwait.com/images/uploads/BeforeWorzel.jpg

  10. "spindrift" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    He's not the messia, he's a naughty boy.

    Good grief, maybe the safespeeding forum served the same purpose as
    The Isle Of Sheppey- an official policy of containment so all the mono-
    browed knuckle draggers are kept together and kept an eye on so they
    don't contaminate normal society.

    Far better that safespeeding attracts these bods, the ones who
    literally [censored] themselves in fury at traffic wardens or speed cameras
    or whatever and whine ceaselessly about how traffic law fines are
    exactly like living in Nazi Germany.

    Paul Smith lookalike:

    http://www.brianmicklethwait.com/images/uploads/BeforeWorzel.jpg


    ROTFL

    I'm thinking the naughty boy is you. Are you trying to provoke a full-blown
    jihad or just a fatwa?

  11. Quoting Ekul Namsob <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:
    Nuxx Bar said:

    when a cyclist is punished for breaking a law. They are happy to apply
    common sense and latitude to cyclists' infringements but not to
    motorists'. I would like one of them to tell me why.


    Who are these people?

    I think many people might feel that a group who kill thousands and maim
    tens of thousands a year and pollute massively while doing it - purely
    for their own convenience - indeed deserve more stringent treatment
    from the law than a group who do not. I certainly do, and I think I've
    expressed why...
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> Oil is for sissies
    Today is Stilday, February - a weekend.

  12. On Feb 26, 10:34 am, "budstaff"

    budstaffdotusegroupatbtinternetdotcom said:

    And BTW, we _know_ that many cameras are placed for revenue-generating
    purposes rather than purely for safety, but we're prepared to go along with
    that as they only penalise the stupid.

    Who's "we"? I don't think many of the trolls will agree with you.
    They think all cameras, and other anti-motorist measures, are great.
    (And yes, visible cameras only penalise the stupid, but not hidden
    mobile ones, unless you think that all drivers are stupid, because all
    drivers speed.)

    I'm not going to respond to most of the other comments, because the
    trolling against me has reached fever pitch. The hypocrisy of those
    who claim that *I* don't want to debate properly is breathtaking. If
    you recall, I started this thread with a perfectly reasonable and
    neutral post, which most of the trolls leapt upon with their
    characteristic ad hominem and general twattery. That's what they
    always do whenever they think they're in danger of being proved wrong
    (i.e. most of the time). It reminds me of a cowardly school bully who
    just hits anyone who gets the better of them in an argument.

    It's now become obvious to me why other Safe Speed supporters have
    long since given up trying to debate with you. It's not because
    you're right (let me just repeat that: IT'S NOT BECAUSE YOU'RE RIGHT),
    it's because you deliberately make yourselves as intolerable as
    possible. And you would only be so utterly obnoxious if you knew they
    had a point. Otherwise you would be happy to humour them with good
    grace. Do you think that people who are right about something
    generally give dissenting voices the kind of mauling that you do? No,
    they patiently explain their position with logic, because they know
    that truth will out, and no poison is required.

    I'm sure it must be very difficult to admit that cameras don't work
    after having claimed that they do for so long, but that's no excuse to
    take it out on me or other Safe Speed supporters. We're just the
    messengers, explaining the facts. Cut your losses, trolls, and accept
    reality. Cameras don't work. And you should also accept that however
    much you might *want* it to be true, the best way of making the roads
    safer is not to restrict, frustrate, punish and irritate motorists.
    It just isn't, and no amount of wishing otherwise will make the
    slightest difference to that. Nor will throwing your toys out of the
    pram whenever anyone explains it. I'm sorry that the facts aren't how
    you want them to be, but that's hardly my fault.

    Accept reality. Stop living a lie. You'll feel so much better for it
    in the end.

  13. On Feb 26, 11:53 am, Martin Dann <[email hidden]> wrote:

    I haven't even read your post. You're worse than any of the other
    trolls.

  14. On Feb 26, 12:43 pm, David Damerell <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Quoting Ekul Namsob <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:
    Nuxx Bar said:

    when a cyclist is punished for breaking a law. They are happy to apply
    common sense and latitude to cyclists' infringements but not to
    motorists'. I would like one of them to tell me why.


    Who are these people?

    I think many people might feel that a group who kill thousands and maim
    tens of thousands a year and pollute massively while doing it - purely
    for their own convenience - indeed deserve more stringent treatment
    from the law than a group who do not. I certainly do, and I think I've
    expressed why...

    Great! *At last*, someone has got close to admitting that they have a
    fundamental problem with motorists.

    I knew you could do it. Well done.

  15. Nuxx Bar said:

    On Feb 26, 10:34 am, "budstaff"

    budstaffdotusegroupatbtinternetdotcom said:

    And BTW, we _know_ that many cameras are placed for revenue-generating
    purposes rather than purely for safety, but we're prepared to go along with
    that as they only penalise the stupid.

    Who's "we"?  I don't think many of the trolls will agree with you.
    They think all cameras, and other anti-motorist measures, are great.
    (And yes, visible cameras only penalise the stupid, but not hidden
    mobile ones, unless you think that all drivers are stupid, because all
    drivers speed.)

    I'm not going to respond to most of the other comments, because the
    trolling against me has reached fever pitch.  The hypocrisy of those
    who claim that *I* don't want to debate properly is breathtaking.  If
    you recall, I started this thread with a perfectly reasonable and
    neutral post, which most of the trolls leapt upon with their
    characteristic ad hominem and general twattery.  That's what they
    always do whenever they think they're in danger of being proved wrong
    (i.e. most of the time).  It reminds me of a cowardly school bully who
    just hits anyone who gets the better of them in an argument.

    It's now become obvious to me why other Safe Speed supporters have
    long since given up trying to debate with you.  It's not because
    you're right (let me just repeat that: IT'S NOT BECAUSE YOU'RE RIGHT),
    it's because you deliberately make yourselves as intolerable as
    possible.  And you would only be so utterly obnoxious if you knew they
    had a point.  Otherwise you would be happy to humour them with good
    grace.  Do you think that people who are right about something
    generally give dissenting voices the kind of mauling that you do?  No,
    they patiently explain their position with logic, because they know
    that truth will out, and no poison is required.

    I'm sure it must be very difficult to admit that cameras don't work
    after having claimed that they do for so long, but that's no excuse to
    take it out on me or other Safe Speed supporters.  We're just the
    messengers, explaining the facts.  Cut your losses, trolls, and accept
    reality.  Cameras don't work.  And you should also accept that however
    much you might *want* it to be true, the best way of making the roads
    safer is not to restrict, frustrate, punish and irritate motorists.
    It just isn't, and no amount of wishing otherwise will make the
    slightest difference to that.  Nor will throwing your toys out of the
    pram whenever anyone explains it.  I'm sorry that the facts aren't how
    you want them to be, but that's hardly my fault.

    Accept reality.  Stop living a lie.  You'll feel so much better for it
    in the end.

    nuxxy, I've asked you politely ELEVEN TIMES ro respond to my points.

    You choose not to do so, and then flounce out of the thread shocked
    and appalled that nobody takes you seriously!

  16. spindrift said:

    safespeeding

    Once again, will you either please explain why you keep saying
    "safespeeding", or call the site by its proper name.

    Are you implying that the very notion that speeding can be safe is
    ludicrous? If not, what are you implying?

  17. Nuxx Bar said:

    On Feb 26, 11:53 am, Martin Dann <[email hidden]> wrote:

    I haven't even read your post. You're worse than any of the other
    trolls.

    Because I have actually looked at the data myself, and seen the opposite
    effect that Mr Smith produced?

  18. Nuxx Bar said:
    spindrift said:

    safespeeding

    Once again, will you either please explain why you keep saying
    "safespeeding", or call the site by its proper name.

    Are you implying that the very notion that speeding can be safe is
    ludicrous?  If not, what are you implying?

    Because smith encouraged speeding. he boasted of a road near his house
    where he drove at 150mph.

    He offered advice on dodging speeding tickets.

    He claimed by misreading official statistics, fudging the data, and
    ignoring contrary evidence that speeding was safe.

    He claimed that residents who appealed for lower speeds were
    "brainwashed"- he offered no evidence for this contention.

    Speeding makes crashes more likley and increases the severity of the
    injuries inflicted on the speeder, or, more commonly, on the poor sod
    who encountered the speeder.

    Now, I've answered your questions politely and without saying that you
    must be mentally ill nuxxy.

    Care to return the honour?

  19. spindrift said:


    Speeding makes crashes more likley

    So you believe that increasing the speed limit enough to ensure that
    *no* speeding can occur will minimize the likelihood of crashes occurring?

    Perhaps you are confusing "speeding" with higher speeds, again. That
    may explain your failure to accept that the "speeding" argument is a red
    herring.

    --
    Matt B

  20. On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 05:44:43 -0800 (PST), Nuxx Bar
    <[email hidden]> said in
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    Great! *At last*, someone has got close to admitting that they have a
    fundamental problem with motorists.

    Um, no, with motorists who kill - a smallish (though still much too
    big) subset.

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.