REC Another Chocolate Fondue

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Damsel in dis Dress, Dec 19, 2005.

  1. I've had this one. A bunch of us got together and had a fondue
    sleepover.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Chocolate Fondue (Mensa)

    Recipe By :Damsel
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : chocolate desserts
    fondue

    12 oz chocolate chips
    3/4 cup half and half
    1 1/2 tablespoon kahlua

    1. In a heavy 1 quart saucepan, stir together chocolate (semi-sweet
    or milk) and half and half over low heat until smooth.
    2. Remove from heat and stir in Kahlua (coffee flavored liqueur).
    3. Pour into dessert fondue pot and serve with any of the following
    dippers:
    Apple wedges
    Banana chunks
    Fresh strawberries
    Marshmallows
    Sponge or pound cake

    Source:
    "Minnesota Mensa"

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Tags:

  2. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've had this one. A bunch of us got together and had a fondue
    > sleepover.

    Oh, gosh, Carol, I've got to tell my mom about this. I sent her a fondue
    pot and a fondue book for Christmas (her request). She would probably love
    this idea! She's 75, but a few years ago, she and her friends had a
    makeover pajama party....they made each other up, did hairdos, nails, etc.
    and then all slept over and had breakfast the next day. They might have a
    great time with this.

    Thx for all the recipes and the idea!
    Chris

  3. On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:19:58 GMT, "Chris" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I've had this one. A bunch of us got together and had a fondue
    > > sleepover.

    > Oh, gosh, Carol, I've got to tell my mom about this. I sent her a fondue
    > pot and a fondue book for Christmas (her request). She would probably love
    > this idea! She's 75, but a few years ago, she and her friends had a
    > makeover pajama party....they made each other up, did hairdos, nails, etc.
    > and then all slept over and had breakfast the next day. They might have a
    > great time with this.
    >
    > Thx for all the recipes and the idea!

    You're very welcome. This sleepover also involved vegetable oil that
    wasn't in fondue pots. <EG>

    Hope your mom has a great time!

    Carol

  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:19:58 GMT, "Chris" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > I've had this one. A bunch of us got together and had a fondue
    >> > sleepover.

    >> Oh, gosh, Carol, I've got to tell my mom about this. I sent her a fondue
    >> pot and a fondue book for Christmas (her request). She would probably
    >> love
    >> this idea! She's 75, but a few years ago, she and her friends had a
    >> makeover pajama party....they made each other up, did hairdos, nails,
    >> etc.
    >> and then all slept over and had breakfast the next day. They might have
    >> great time with this.
    >>
    >> Thx for all the recipes and the idea!

    > You're very welcome. This sleepover also involved vegetable oil that
    > wasn't in fondue pots. <EG>

    Hmm, apparently I'm a bit naive, because I'm not sure what *that* was about,
    but I won't ask. :) I'm sure it was fun though.

    Hey Carol, I made a small test batch of those butterfinger thingies with the
    Wheat Thins. They were really good. My 8-year-old scarffed them up like
    there's no tomorrow (I had a few myself, ahem). I'm not sure I did it
    exactly right, but after making several that looked kind of goofy, they
    started looking really nice.

    I think we'll make more this Friday when the kids are off of school --
    they'll have fun helping with that job! We'll also make some rugelach, and
    maybe some more of those cranberry orange shortbread cookies. And everybody
    complains when there are no plain old chocolate chip cookies, so we'll have
    to make those, too.

    Chris

  5. Ah... Mensa Chocolate Fondue. I *knew* chocolate was making me
    smarter!

    I have a not-yet-used chocolate fountain (birthday gift) I've been
    meaning to pull out, and this may be just the recipe for it. Of course
    I might have to double it -- wouldn't that be a shame! ;)

    Thanks for sharing, dear Damsel... although with a recipe like that,
    I'm guessing you're not in too much distress...

    Karen MacInerney
    Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
    www.karenmacinerney.com

  6. On 20 Dec 2005 18:59:29 -0800, "Karen MacInerney"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Ah... Mensa Chocolate Fondue. I *knew* chocolate was making me
    > smarter!

    Yup, works every time!

    > I have a not-yet-used chocolate fountain (birthday gift) I've been
    > meaning to pull out, and this may be just the recipe for it. Of course
    > I might have to double it -- wouldn't that be a shame! ;)

    I'm not familiar with chocolate fountains. They've been mentioned
    several times lately. Can you shed a little light?

    > Thanks for sharing, dear Damsel... although with a recipe like that,
    > I'm guessing you're not in too much distress...

    I did have some chocolate today. I made some of Barb Schaller's
    toffee. Extremely easy and very good, to boot! Another batch is
    waiting to be born tomorrow.

    I know you from a few years ago in RFC, don't I?

    Carol

  7. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

    >>I have a not-yet-used chocolate fountain (birthday gift) I've been
    >>meaning to pull out, and this may be just the recipe for it. Of course
    >>I might have to double it -- wouldn't that be a shame! ;)

    COuld someone please explain to me the attraction to these? I adore
    chocolate, but a stupid looking "Ronco style" chocolate fountain just
    doesn't seem very appetizing? A nice fondu pot works well for me.
    Is this the Salad Shooter gift for 2005?

  8. On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 22:58:19 -0500, Goomba38 <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > COuld someone please explain to me the attraction to these? I adore
    > chocolate, but a stupid looking "Ronco style" chocolate fountain just
    > doesn't seem very appetizing? A nice fondu pot works well for me.
    > Is this the Salad Shooter gift for 2005?

    What makes them stupid looking? I've never seen one.

    Carol

  9. Yes, Carol, I remember you. :). I was Karen Swartz back then, before
    marriage and kids kind of put the kibosh on my virtual life (not to
    mention my real life), and my cooking devolved into plain
    non-touching-foods territory. *Sigh*. Now they're in school, though,
    and I'm back in the saddle.... <grin>

    The chocolate fountain in question, by the way, is just that -- it's a
    fountain into which you're supposed to put melted chocolate -- then as
    the melted stuff cascades down, you can dip angel food cake,
    strawberries, marshmallows, whatever in it. I'll get hubby to take it
    down and check the volume. My kids are dying to use it, but I'm a
    little frightened about the clean-up.

    And I LOVE toffee... I need to check the archives and get that recipe.
    Made some disappointing peppermint bark the other day (wrong kind of
    chips -- next time will use real chopped white chocolate).

    Cheers, and thanks for remembering me! :))

    Karen MacInerney
    Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
    www.karenmacinerney.com

  10. On 20 Dec 2005 20:04:48 -0800, "Karen MacInerney"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Yes, Carol, I remember you. :). I was Karen Swartz back then, before
    > marriage and kids kind of put the kibosh on my virtual life (not to
    > mention my real life), and my cooking devolved into plain
    > non-touching-foods territory. *Sigh*. Now they're in school, though,
    > and I'm back in the saddle.... <grin>

    I'm glad your life has become so full. I'm also very glad to have you
    back here with us!

    > The chocolate fountain in question, by the way, is just that -- it's a
    > fountain into which you're supposed to put melted chocolate -- then as
    > the melted stuff cascades down, you can dip angel food cake,
    > strawberries, marshmallows, whatever in it. I'll get hubby to take it
    > down and check the volume. My kids are dying to use it, but I'm a
    > little frightened about the clean-up.

    Clean-up. That's the bitch about cooking toys. :(

    > And I LOVE toffee... I need to check the archives and get that recipe.
    > Made some disappointing peppermint bark the other day (wrong kind of
    > chips -- next time will use real chopped white chocolate).
    >
    > Cheers, and thanks for remembering me! :))

    You betcha! And here's the recipe in question. Boil the toffee low.
    I did mine a little to hot and got a deeper flavor and color than I
    should have. Tomorrow, I'll be more cautious about the amount of heat
    I apply to the stuff. Still tasted wonderful!

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Barb Schaller's Chocolate Nut Toffee

    Recipe By :Barb Schaller
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : candies

    1/2 cup butter -- salted
    3/4 cup light brown sugar
    1 cup walnuts
    1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

    Combine the butter and brown sugar and boil for 7 minutes, stirring
    constantly, While boiling, spread the nuts in an 8" square pan. When
    ready, pour toffee over nuts, spreading if necessary. Sprinkle
    chocolate chips on top and cover with a breadboard for a couple
    minutes to melt the chips. Spread chocolate over toffee, cool, and
    break into pieces.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    NOTES :
    Damsel's notes: I used semi-sweet chocolate chips because that's what
    we had. I used chopped almonds, and put them only on top of the
    chocolate. Barb gave me her blessings on that decision.

  11. On Tue 20 Dec 2005 09:00:48p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
    dis Dress?

    > On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 22:58:19 -0500, Goomba38 <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> COuld someone please explain to me the attraction to these? I adore
    >> chocolate, but a stupid looking "Ronco style" chocolate fountain just
    >> doesn't seem very appetizing? A nice fondu pot works well for me.
    >> Is this the Salad Shooter gift for 2005?

    > What makes them stupid looking? I've never seen one.
    >
    > Carol

    Take a look.

    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13611645

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  12. On 21 Dec 2005 05:23:55 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Tue 20 Dec 2005 09:00:48p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
    > dis Dress?
    >
    > > On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 22:58:19 -0500, Goomba38 <[email protected]>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> COuld someone please explain to me the attraction to these? I adore
    > >> chocolate, but a stupid looking "Ronco style" chocolate fountain just
    > >> doesn't seem very appetizing? A nice fondu pot works well for me.
    > >> Is this the Salad Shooter gift for 2005?

    > > What makes them stupid looking? I've never seen one.

    > Take a look.
    >
    > http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13611645

    Oh my! Karen, if your kids are jazzed about using the fountain, tell
    them ahead of time that it will be they who will clean it between
    uses. They look like fun, but I'd shoot Crash right between the eyes
    if he brought one home. LOL!

    Carol

  13. On Tue 20 Dec 2005 09:27:17p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
    dis Dress?

    > On 21 Dec 2005 05:23:55 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue 20 Dec 2005 09:00:48p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel
    >> in dis Dress?

    >> > What makes them stupid looking? I've never seen one.

    >> Take a look.
    >>
    >> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13611645

    > Oh my! Karen, if your kids are jazzed about using the fountain, tell
    > them ahead of time that it will be they who will clean it between
    > uses. They look like fun, but I'd shoot Crash right between the eyes
    > if he brought one home. LOL!
    >
    > Carol

    Now picture someone bumping the table it's sitting on and sending it
    hurling toward the floor. Not a pretty picture! <g>

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  14. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

    > Oh my! Karen, if your kids are jazzed about using the fountain, tell
    > them ahead of time that it will be they who will clean it between
    > uses. They look like fun, but I'd shoot Crash right between the eyes
    > if he brought one home. LOL!
    >
    > Carol

    Yup.. it's the "Salad Spinner" gift of 2005, I can tell!
    It really is cheesy looking. I bet it gets "re-gifted" a lot.

  15. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote

    > On Tue 20 Dec 2005 09:27:17p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
    > dis Dress?

    >> Oh my! Karen, if your kids are jazzed about using the fountain, tell
    >> them ahead of time that it will be they who will clean it between
    >> uses. They look like fun, but I'd shoot Crash right between the eyes
    >> if he brought one home. LOL!

    > Now picture someone bumping the table it's sitting on and sending it
    > hurling toward the floor. Not a pretty picture! <g>

    Well ... if you already had the tarp down for the Crisco party, no
    big deal. Just sayin.

    nancy

  16. On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 00:07:46 -0500, "Nancy Young"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > On Tue 20 Dec 2005 09:27:17p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
    > > dis Dress?

    > >> Oh my! Karen, if your kids are jazzed about using the fountain, tell
    > >> them ahead of time that it will be they who will clean it between
    > >> uses. They look like fun, but I'd shoot Crash right between the eyes
    > >> if he brought one home. LOL!

    > > Now picture someone bumping the table it's sitting on and sending it
    > > hurling toward the floor. Not a pretty picture! <g>

    > Well ... if you already had the tarp down for the Crisco party, no
    > big deal. Just sayin.

    You're so bad! LOL!

    Carol

  17. On Tue 20 Dec 2005 10:07:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
    Young?

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> On Tue 20 Dec 2005 09:27:17p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel
    >> in dis Dress?

    >>> Oh my! Karen, if your kids are jazzed about using the fountain, tell
    >>> them ahead of time that it will be they who will clean it between
    >>> uses. They look like fun, but I'd shoot Crash right between the eyes
    >>> if he brought one home. LOL!

    >> Now picture someone bumping the table it's sitting on and sending it
    >> hurling toward the floor. Not a pretty picture! <g>

    > Well ... if you already had the tarp down for the Crisco party, no
    > big deal. Just sayin.

    LOL! You've got a point.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  18. >They look like fun, but I'd shoot Crash right between the eyes
    >if he brought one home. LOL!

    My mother-in-law gave it to me. :)

    Karen MacInerney
    Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
    www.karenmacinerney.com

  19. Yum.... this is a DEFINITE holiday activity. With walnuts as an
    option, even... (Wipes drool off keyboard again.)

    Thanks again, Damsel, and it's good to be back. And thank goodness for
    elastic waistbands.

    Karen MacInerney
    Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
    www.karenmacinerney.com

  20. On 20 Dec 2005 23:13:34 -0800, "Karen MacInerney"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Yum.... this is a DEFINITE holiday activity. With walnuts as an
    > option, even... (Wipes drool off keyboard again.)
    >
    > Thanks again, Damsel, and it's good to be back. And thank goodness for
    > elastic waistbands.

    Yes, ma'am! They sure are!

    Carol