rec.bicycles.tech - FAQ?

On Mar 8, 7:56 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> You'll have to test that in retrospect. I know how to dry glue and
> put on good patches. As I recounted, the REMA man at the 2005
> InterBike show had your perception of loose patches and proceeded to
> demonstrate how it's done correctly. When he was finished, he handed
> me the tube and I pulled the patch off like a Post-it®.

"Patch creep?" "Post-It notes?"

I don't know about all that. All I know is that my repairs don't leak.
If REMA patches were prone to leaking when being ridden immediately
after the repair, I would know it. So this whole discussion seems
pretty ridiculous. And the faq entry seems pretty ridiculous.

I suspect that many 'patch failures' are really caused by the failure
to find and remove whatever sneaky little object caused the original
puncture. The freshly patched tube gets stuffed back in the tire; 20
mins. later the tube is flat again; that DAMN PATCH FAILED! See it all
the time.

Robert

jim beam wrote:
> you're an idiot krygowski. ad hominem is not a defense.

jb half right! News at 11:00!

(ad hominem is an offense.)

> you have
> access to "engineering" facilities. you do some work for a change.

In further "news," jb obviously has never had access to engineering
facilities, or he would have enclosed a substantial check or purchase
order to pay for Frank's work and equipment fees.

Pat

On Mar 8, 7:33 pm, Frank "Ahab the Airbag" Krygowski wrote:

<snipped>

> Your logic is failing you, it seems. Perhaps it's time for you to
> cease the battles on r.b.tech and find some jabberwock to combat.

Here we have a picture of Krygowski's personal, unslain Jabberwock:

http://tinyurl.com/yqzgsv

And, apparently, Franky *does* use seatbelts:

http://tinyurl.com/yrh6gl

> "And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?

Apparently not! ;-)

On Mar 7, 2:46 pm, Larry Dickman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>

> [email protected] wrote:
> > On Mar 7, 1:19 pm, Larry Dickman <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > Added complexity doesn't make it better. Cars of the 60's were simple
> > > and were easily and cheaply maintained by the backyard mechanic and got
> > > you from point A to point B just as well.

> > I don't agree with that... I remember seeing a VW Beetle ad when I was
> > a kid which said something about "...which is why so many of them live
> > to be 100,000". I don't think anyone would brag about that today.

> So? You picked out an air cooled VW, not known as being a car that could
> go much more than 100K miles without an engine rebuild. I knew someone
> that had a '65 Chevy that got 200K, and that was with the motor oils of
> the day in New York state, not sunny, warm, and dry California.

I picked out a full page color ad from a major magazine is what I
picked out. Targeted at the masses, the ad did not say "and that's a
lot for a VW" or "and that's a lot for an air-cooled engine". It
simply touted the number 100,000 to the masses because the advertising
personnel who wrote the ad thought that that number was impressive and
would impress the general car-buying public.

As for your buddies chevy, so what? Anyone can keep fixing any car
repeatedly. The point is that by far most people ditched their cars
from that era long before that point because they had gotten so
unpleasant.

dkl

[email protected] wrote:

> I just swipe the glue on the tube with the brush in the top of the
> can...

Whoa, you have a can of REMA glue? Think of the
sniffing possibilities.

Is this the same stuff that comes in the tubes?

> [...]
> But Jobst's expectation (I think) is that even if the patch holds,
> there should be at least a small area around the puncture where the
> patch is no longer glued to the tube.

(I think) his expectation is that there would
be a decent chance that the patch would leak.

> Whatever happens, I predict that it will illustrate how hard it is to
> predict the details of even such a simple experiment. It's amazing how
> often a trivial test will refuse to repeat its results in the hands of
> a clumsy experimenter.

Patience is a necessary virtue when patching a tube.
Who has patience?

Robert

On 9 Mar 2007 07:46:49 -0800, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:

How come you don't share photos of yourself? What are you ashamed of?
--
JT
****************************

Pat Lamb wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> you're an idiot krygowski. ad hominem is not a defense.

> jb half right! News at 11:00!
>
> (ad hominem is an offense.)

simply pointing out that someone is an idiot is not ad hominem.

>> you have
>> access to "engineering" facilities. you do some work for a change.

> In further "news," jb obviously has never had access to engineering
> facilities, or he would have enclosed a substantial check or purchase
> order to pay for Frank's work and equipment fees.
>
> Pat

> On 09 Mar 2007 02:35:22 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >Do you have any home patched tubes that were not ridden right after
> >patching? A picture of one of these (tube completely flat, air sucked
> >out) would show whether there was any patch creep for a patch-and-ride
> >and a done-at-home kind.
> >
> >Jobst Brandt

> Dear Jobst,
>
> Sorry, but there's been a misunderstanding.
>
> None of my patched tubes are used for at least two months. Unlike
> Robert, I don't patch tubes on the spot.
>
> Instead, I take the punctured tube out of my flat tire, remove any
> offending thorn, glass, rock chip, staple, or fish-hook, put in a new
> tube, pump it up, and ride home.
>
> Only once have I used up all four spare tubes on my 15-mile daily
> ride. Luckily, I had prepared for this ridiculous possibility and had
> a tiny Park glueless patch kit. The Park patch looks like little more
> than a thick piece of Scotch tape, but it worked fine.
>
> In my basement, I use Rema patches and glue, test the patched tube the
> next day, and put it into a box with a dozen or so of its brothers to
> wait its turn in the back of the queue to go into my frame bag.

Hey, everybody, Carl ages his tubes in the basement.

On 9 Mar 2007 17:36:04 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>[email protected] wrote:
>> >Whoa, you have a can of REMA glue?

>> [snip]
>> Doesn't everyone?
>>
>> http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?i...ir-Kits-and-Supplies&tc=Cement&item_id=RE-203

>Again, whoa. I wonder if buying that gets you put on
>some kind of list over at Homeland Security.
>
>I suppose that is the way to go for at-home patchers.
>At least, the ones living along the Colorado Front
>Goathead Preserve. Does it come in a 5-gallon?

Who knows, I may have to ride my bike to Colorado the next time I go,
because my name may be added to a watch list for buying a can of the
stuff...

Pat

Email address works as is.