REC: Elbow Mac or Ditalini - Macaroni Beef Sauté

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Melba's Jammin, Feb 28, 2004.

  1. I've posted this before, I'm sure. I made it last week. Doubled the recipe. I used the ditalini. I
    also used a coarse grind of groud beef and I believe that was an improvement over the regular stuff
    -- it gave it more tooth. Go ahead, make sport of this recipe. I don' care. It's tasty, and with a
    green salad, some broccoli, and some toast, a decent meal.

    { Exported from MasterCook Mac }

    Macaroni Beef Sauté

    Recipe By: posted to r.f.c. by Barb Schaller 2-28-04 Serving Size: 1 Preparation Time: 0:00
    Categories: Entrees

    Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
    1/2 # ground beef
    2/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
    3/4 cup chopped onion
    4/4 cup chopped green pepper
    5/2 clove garlic minced
    6/4 cup vegetable oil 1 can tomato juice (12 oz.) (about 1-2/3 cups)
    7/4 tsp. salt
    8/8 tsp. pepper 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

    Sauté beef, macaroni, onion, green pepper, and garlic in hot oil until macaroni turns slightly
    yellow. Drain off excess fat. Add tomato juice and seasonings; bring to boil. Cover and simmer 20
    minutes. Uncover and simmer for several more minutes or until sauce is reduced to desired
    consistency. Makes 2 servings.

    ‹‹‹‹‹ Notes: Source: Betty Crocker¹s New Dinner for Two Cook Book, Golden Press, New York,
    copyright 1964, by General Mills, page 93.

    Per serving (excluding unknown items): 876 Calories; 85g Fat (86% calories from fat); 20g Protein;
    10g Carbohydrate; 96mg Cholesterol; 2167mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable;
    15 1/2 Fat
    _____
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

    Tags:

  2. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > I've posted this before, I'm sure. I made it last week. Doubled the recipe. I used the ditalini. I
    > also used a coarse grind of groud beef and I believe that was an improvement over the regular
    > stuff -- it gave it more tooth. Go ahead, make sport of this recipe. I don' care. It's tasty, and
    > with a green salad, some broccoli, and some toast, a decent meal.
    >
    > { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
    >
    > Macaroni Beef Sauté
    >
    > Recipe By: posted to r.f.c. by Barb Schaller 2-28-04 Serving Size: 1 Preparation Time: 0:00
    > Categories: Entrees
    >
    > Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
    > 1/2 # ground beef
    > 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
    > 1/4 cup chopped onion
    > 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
    > 1/2 clove garlic minced
    > 1/4 cup vegetable oil 1 can tomato juice (12 oz.) (about 1-2/3 cups)
    > 3/4 tsp. salt
    > 1/8 tsp. pepper 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    >
    > Sauté beef, macaroni, onion, green pepper, and garlic in hot oil until macaroni turns slightly
    > yellow. Drain off excess fat. Add tomato juice and seasonings; bring to boil. Cover and simmer 20
    > minutes. Uncover and simmer for several more minutes or until sauce is reduced to desired
    > consistency. Makes 2 servings.

    I cook like this quite often; with a pound of hamburger, about 5 ounces of dried noodles or
    macaroni, and whatever else looks good that day. It's just like "Hamburger Helper", but cheaper and
    tastes better.

    Best regards, Bob

  3. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:
    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >> I've posted this before, I'm sure. I made it last week. Doubled the recipe. I used the ditalini.
    >> I also used a coarse grind of ground beef and I believe that was an improvement over the regular
    >> stuff -- it gave it more tooth. Go ahead, make sport of this recipe. I don' care. It's tasty, and
    >> with a green salad, some broccoli, and some toast, a decent meal.
    >>
    >> { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
    >>
    >> Macaroni Beef Sauté

    (snippage)
    > I cook like this quite often; with a pound of hamburger, about 5 ounces of dried noodles or
    > macaroni, and whatever else looks good that day. It's just like "Hamburger Helper", but cheaper
    > and tastes better.
    >
    > Best regards, Bob

    Yeah, I'm always looking for ways to make "Hamburger Helper" at home. Like chili-mac. I'm pretty
    sure I have a recipe around here for ground beef stroganoff, too. Mom makes something similar to
    this; she called it "Spanish Sion". Lord only knows why :)

    Jill

  4. Default User

    Default User Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > I've posted this before, I'm sure. I made it last week. Doubled the recipe. I used the ditalini. I
    > also used a coarse grind of groud beef and I believe that was an improvement over the regular
    > stuff -- it gave it more tooth. Go ahead, make sport of this recipe. I don' care. It's tasty, and
    > with a green salad, some broccoli, and some toast, a decent meal.

    When I was a kid, we made this sort of thing with Campbells tomato soup. (whispers) I still do
    sometimes.

    Brian Rodenborn