Howdy folks!
Boy, things sure do seem rather negatively spirited in this newsgroup of late. I hope that this is a
cyclical thing and it goes away on its own. It makes an environment where people get turned off and
don't want to post. At any rate, I just wanted to wish everyone happy holidays! No matter how bad
things get, life is still good and is the neatest game in town. We had a saying growing up that life
is like playing a game of cards, and that you've only got two rules that are non-negotiable. One,
you can't fold. Two, you must play the hand you're dealt. We may get a crappy hand now and again,
but for me anyway, I'm just as happy to still be at the table and in the game!
Some recumbent thoughts I'd like to pass along:
Yesterday, my youngest daughter (10) accompanied me to the bikeshop where I bought my Tour Easy SS
XL and my wifes EZ-1 Lite. While I was buying some things, she got the chance to ride a bunch of
different recumbents. Did I think she'd enjoy them? Sure. Did I think she would become passionately
hooked on them like her old man? No, but that is what happened! I literally had to pull her off the
bikes (after 3 hours of solid riding with no letup in sight) so we could go home. (The bikeshop is
almost 200 miles from our home, so we had travel and traffic to face on the way home.) At any rate,
she rode an Evox 140, a Wizwheelz Terratrike 3.4, and an EZ-1 Lite. She liked the look of the Evox
140 but didn't care much for the seat. She loved the trike and the EZ-1 Lite. She ended up riding
the EZ-1 Lite more than anything else. We're thinking of getting her an EZ-1 for Christmas. She said
that she was more comfortable on it than on the trike. The missus and I are considering it but want
to make sure that this is a bike that she can really "grow" with, as she is already as tall as my 15
yr old daughter and is still growing! (While mom is short, dad is 6'7" and has 4 other brothers,
none who are under 6'4" and one who is 7'.) So, I just wanted to share that there is a real chance
that the 'bent ranks will quite possibly gain another trooper this Christmas, a young one with a
real zeal and passion for 'benting.
I'd also like to pass along some updates about my heavier friend, the one who had never ridden a
bike and is committed to learning to ride and losing weight. I took him to the bikeshop a few weeks
back and the guys at the shop put him on uprights and rollers to get him a "feel" for pedaling. They
also put him on a recumbent in rollers for the same thing. He tried several trikes and really did
well with the EZ-3 AL. The good news? He did actually ride a recumbent! He rode about 100 yds, but
that is a start. He has already said that his bike purchase will be a recumbent, because it is much
more comfortable for him. I thought it would be, but not for the reasons he mentioned. I was
thinking about his back and whatnot... It turns out that the upright position hunches him over to
the point that he does not breathe as freely as when he is in the recumbent position and leaning
back. I hadn't thought about that, but that is a plus for the recumbents, I'd reckon. He did not go
home with a recumbent, but plans to get one in February or March of 2004. Once again, thanks to
everyone on here who had wonderful suggestions. You'll be happy to know that almost every one of
them were deployed in getting my friend to the point where he could actually ride for a bit!
Another update for you, and this one is about my wife. She's the lady who is blind in her left eye.
We've still not had any real solutions. I bought quite a few mirrors and tried to see if when we
mount them on her glasses or helmet, if she could use her right eye to see the mirror on the left.
All the mirrors do not extend far enough out to where she could use her right eye to see things on
the left with a mirror mounted on the left. We tried mounting them on the right and just having her
turn her head a bit to the right to see things behind and to the left, but that hasn't been very
successful either. Either she has to turn her head a good deal to make it work (which makes her
nervous) or she still can't see things on her left, especially close to her left. I'm not giving up
finding a solution for her; I know there has got to be a simple and intuitive fix.
Some lighting comments! I've been using a Cateye EL-300 as my headlight and a Vistalite vertical
blinker on the rear of my Tour Easy and I've been very pleased with the amount of light the EL-300
throws out. I have it mounted behind my fairing and it shines through the fairing with no issues. A
nice and unintended feature is that it reflects a small portion of light down, lighting up the
fairing somewhat which illuminates my bike computer nicely! There is no reflected light directed
backward and the EL-300 is amazingly powerful for it's size. I liked it so much that I bought
another and now use two for headlights. I also have two Vistalite vertical blinkers on the back now.
In addition to the two EL-300s up front, I also have a Cateye EL-400 mounted underneath on the stem
and set it to blinking mode when I ride. The end result is that I've got plenty of light to extend
my riding from dusk to into the night. I don't ride on the roads much, mostly in my large
development. I am amazed at how much light these LEDs produce.
I reckon that's about it for now. Again, happy holidays to everyone!
--
"Sea" ya! --Lars S. Mulford "You can find evil anywhere you look. The question is, why are
you looking?"