General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Recipe Challenge

Started by Damsel in dis Dress · · Last activity · 148 posts · 2,059 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 April 2006
Last activity
9 April 2006
Original author
Damsel in dis Dress
Posts
148
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,059
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 101–120 of 148
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Damsel in dis Dress said:

    On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 22:50:20 -0700, Serene <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Damsel in dis Dress said:

    On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 05:08:19 GMT, sarah bennett
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4097/1522/1600/blintzes.jpg
    >
    >Buttermilk-Apple Blintzes:

    Cool! I've never seen a blintz before. They look wonderful. Great
    presentation, too. Now I'm hungry, dammit! <G>

    Oh My GOD! The woman has never had a blintz! This is unbelievably
    tragic. There should be a telethon!!

    serene, aghast

    I've lead a very sheltered life. Let me know when you get this
    telethon thing up and running.

    *nodnod*

    Not everyone had the good luck of growing up on the east coast (of the
    US) with a half-jewish, half-italian momma. Food was and is her mode
    of communication.

    serene (mmmmm, my aunt Sandy's blintzes. I can taste them now!)

  2. aem said:
    ms_peacock said:

    [snip]
    In spite of the fact this is made with canned and boxed stuff it's really
    good. It's always a hit at every pot luck I've ever taken it to.

    I like the looks of this and I'm going to try it. Is the Jiffy mix
    the sweet type? Do you think a small can of green chiles (the mild
    kind) would be too much? Is the pudding consistency fairly firm or
    softer/wetter? As I say, I am going to try it so if you don't have
    time to answer that's fine. -aem

    I'm pretty sure this is the same recipe that my friend Patty used to
    make. It's got a firm consistency, like a pudding-y cornbread, if that
    makes sense. Softer than a loaf of cornbread, but still something
    that's cut with a knife and served, not spooned out. It's definitely
    not a custard-y consistency like quiche or scalloped corn in a water
    bath. HTH!

    I know Patty used to use green chiles in hers - she's from NM where
    they use green chile in everything!! Just drain them well. She also
    sometimes added minced red pepper, for color.

  3. Jude said:

    I'm pretty sure this is the same recipe that my friend Patty used to
    make. It's got a firm consistency, like a pudding-y cornbread, if that
    makes sense. Softer than a loaf of cornbread, but still something
    that's cut with a knife and served, not spooned out. It's definitely
    not a custard-y consistency like quiche or scalloped corn in a water
    bath. HTH!

    Spoonbread!!!!!!!

    Christine, who was born and raised in VA, and knows spoonbread.

  4. Damsel in dis Dress said:

    On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 23:52:47 +0200, [email hidden] (Victor Sack)

    Quoted message said:
    Damsel in dis Dress said:

    I've never seen a blintz before.

    Eh? You've never see a crêpe, a simple thin pancake often rolled or
    formed into an envelope-like shape around some kind of filling ?

    Never one that was called a blintz!

    Quoted message said:

    I'm flabbergasted!

    I thought you were Russian.

    Quoted message said:

    Bubba
    who is planning to make some meat-filled blinchiki (same thing) tomorrow

    I'm terrified of trying to make crepes or anything like them. I
    probably would have tried blintzes, but now I'm scared. [censored].

    Carol

    Bubba, please, stop scaring my friends. Go and make your blinchiki.
    Thank you. Sounds like little chickens, doesn't it?

  5. "aem" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    ms_peacock said:

    [snip]
    In spite of the fact this is made with canned and boxed stuff it's really
    good. It's always a hit at every pot luck I've ever taken it to.

    I like the looks of this and I'm going to try it. Is the Jiffy mix
    the sweet type? Do you think a small can of green chiles (the mild
    kind) would be too much? Is the pudding consistency fairly firm or
    softer/wetter? As I say, I am going to try it so if you don't have
    time to answer that's fine. -aem

    I think Jiffy mix is kind of on the sweet side. It's firm but still
    somewhat soft. It's not a pudding consistancy though. Green chiles would
    be an excellent addition to this!!

    Ms P

  6. "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
    to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
    back on track. Mine's coming right up!

    Peace,
    Carol

    Geez, I turn my back for a while, and this place explodes. I'll refrain from
    any other comments; seems like more than enough has already been said.

    I didn't post to (that/those) thread(s) but this isn't quite a recipe,
    either. So that seems fair. And it's how I cook.

    I started with a little over a half-loaf of bread dough that had been in the
    fridge. I had put some parmesan cheese in it, so I figured I might as well
    embellish a little more. I chopped up some rehydrated sundried tomatoes and
    a spring of rosemary from a plant that I have on the windowsill. Kneaded it
    all in and made a round loaf from it.

    Would have made a good focaccia-type loaf. Basil and/or garlic would have
    been good, too.

    We had that bread for sandwiches with some leftover roast leg 'o lamb.

    Yum.

    Donna

  7. Margaret Suran said:

    Bubba, please, stop scaring my friends. Go and make your blinchiki.
    Thank you. Sounds like little chickens, doesn't it?

    ROFL!! Thanks for standing up for me, Margaret. That Bubba is just
    getting so MEAN in his old age.

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  8. sf said:
    sarah bennett said:
    sf said:


    You had them as the main dish and not dessert? LOL I should try that
    sometime. Blitze and salad.

    and potato kugel! 🙂

    Is that what that was? How dumb of me... I thought they were those
    frozen hash brown thingies.

    same difference.
    😉

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    email:
    anisaerah at s b c global.net

    Adam Bowman said:

    I always wonder when someone brings up a point about Bush, and you
    then bring up something that Clinton did, are you saying they are both
    wrong? Because that's all it points out to me, places where they both
    messed up. It doesn't negate the fact that Bush did wrong; was that
    your intention?

    That type of argument is like

    "Bob shot someone"

    "Yeah, but don't you remember when Don hit that guy with a bat?"

  9. Om replied:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You mean like building a major coastal city below sea level in an area
    prone to hurricanes?

    It was not below sea level when it was built. ;-)

    Like Venice, it sank.

    It's below sea level NOW, and yet we're building...

    Bob

  10. Rusty said:
    dee said:
    Damsel in dis Dress said:

    I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
    to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
    back on track. Mine's coming right up!

    Peace,
    Carol

    Hey really a recipe as such but an idea for the summer:

    Mixed Fruit Watermelon Pot

    Choose whole watermelon (seedless variety, and ripened ones - usually
    contrast in the bottom pale colour and the dark green colour, and when
    hit it will have vibrations and heavy in weight)

    Cut out top of watermelon usually with zig zag strokes (this becomes
    the lid). Hollow out the watermelon by scooping small balls of
    watermelon flesh into small balls - put those into a very large bowl.
    (it's best to use a small scoop - it's like a mini version of ice cream
    scoop)

    Add any variety of melon into the mix e.g. honey melons, also in small
    balls etc. And add any variety of friut you like into the mix. Then
    put all the mixed fruit back into the watermelon pot and cover with
    lid.

    Chill to eat.

    I hope this isn't a picture of the dish. Does this food taste funny?

    http://www.vrag.ru/images/news_pic/funny_food.jpg

    -Rusty

    😄 Lol....

  11. Margaret Suran <[email hidden]> hitched up their panties
    and posted news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Forget about someone trying to steal your blintzes picture, I have
    been going after the blintzes themselves all morning. I MUST find a
    way to pry them off the screen. :o)

    Lock 'em in the safe once you get the off the screen 😉

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  12. ms_peacock said:


    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
    to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
    back on track. Mine's coming right up!

    Peace,
    Carol

    In spite of the fact this is made with canned and boxed stuff it's really
    good. It's always a hit at every pot luck I've ever taken it to.

    Ms P

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Corn Pudding

    Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Casseroles Vegetables

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 can whole kernel corn -- drained (15oz)
    1 can cream style corn (15oz)
    1/2 stick butter -- softened
    1 egg -- slightly beaten
    1/2 cup milk
    1 cup sour cream
    1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
    1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (more like a cup)

    Mix first 6 ingredients and add the Jiffy mix. Pour into greased 9X13 and
    sprinkle with the cheese. Bake at 350 for 40 to 60 minutes.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1907 Calories; 137g Fat (64.8%
    calories from fat); 39g Protein; 129g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 489mg
    Cholesterol; 2337mg Sodium. Exchanges: 7 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1
    Non-Fat Milk; 25 1/2 Fat.

    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

    Where in Canada do you find Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix? I've looked at
    both our grocery stores and had no luck?? I used to get it when we went
    to Florida....tia....Sharon

  13. "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I challenge every single person who has participated in Those
    Threads
    to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least
    partially
    back on track. Mine's coming right up!

    Peace,
    Carol

    I'm more of a lurker rather than a poster but I just can't ignore
    a challenge so here goes. Please remember, I'm not well versed
    in posting.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Acapulco Chicken Souffle

    Recipe By :Newspaper Clipping
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :1:15
    Categories : Cooked Chicken

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 cups cooked chicken breast (about 1 1/2#) --
    cut in bite size pcs.
    3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    3/4 cup shredded Jack cheese
    2 tablespoons canned diced mild green chilies
    2 tablespoons diced red pimientos (2 ounce jar) --
    drained
    1 cup undiluted evaporated milk -- divided use
    4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    4 eggs -- separated
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 dashes ground black pepper
    For Serving green chili salsa

    Grease a 12x8x2 inch baking dish with butter or margarine.
    Preheat oven to 325°.
    Arrange chicken pieces in prepared pan; set aside.
    In a large bowl, combine cheeses, green chilies and pimiento.
    Sprinkle cheese-chili mixture over chicken, reserving 1/3 cup of
    mixture for later use.
    Combine 2 tablespoons evaporated milk and flour in a large bowl;
    gradually add remaining milk stirring until smooth. Add egg
    yolks, salt and pepper; set aside.
    Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Gently fold egg whites
    into milk mixture. Spread over chicken and cheese mixture,
    smoothing the top. Sprinkle reserved 1/3 cup cheese-chili mixture
    evenly over top.
    Bake in preheated 325° oven for 40 to 45 minutes until puffed and
    golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

    Serve hot accompanied with green chili salsa.

    Cuisine:
    "American"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    - - - -

    Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 125 Calories; 8g Fat
    (58.7% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; trace
    Dietary Fiber; 156mg Cholesterol; 312mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2
    Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 Fat.

    NOTES : Bert and I really liked this. I served Pace Salsa with
    it.
    Use squeaky-clean bowls and beaters for whipping eggs to their
    fullest height. Do not over-beat egg whites. If you beat the
    egg whites until they are stiff but still glossy, they'll fold
    easily into your souffle mixture.

    This is easy to assemble, and has incredible staying power. Once
    it puffs up on baking, you can serve it buffet-style without
    worry that your souffle will cave in before everyone has been
    served.

    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Beef Cannelloni

    Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Beef, Ground Ham & Bacon
    Italian Pasta

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 onion -- chopped
    2 cloves garlic -- minced
    1 cup ham chunk
    1/2 pound ground beef
    6 ounces baby spinach -- cooked & squeezed dry
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 teaspoon dried oregano -- crushed
    salt and pepper -- to taste
    2 beaten eggs
    CHEESE SAUCE:
    6 tablespoons butter
    6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 cup milk
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 cup shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese
    OTHER:
    9 sheets fresh lasagna pasta (Trader Joe's)
    1 jar meatless spaghetti sauce -- (32 oz.)

    For filling: Cook spinach in 5 quart dutch oven until wilted.
    Remove to paper towel and squeeze dry. Chop in food processor.
    Process ham cubes. Combine ham and spinach and continue to
    process until spinach is chopped fine. Place in large bowl.
    Cook onion in 1 tablespoon oil until limp. Add garlic and cook 1
    minute. Process onion and garlic and add to ham & spinach. Cook
    ground beef until meat is brown; Process meat and add to bowl.
    Add Parmesan cheese and mix well. Stir in eggs. Set aside.

    For cheese sauce: Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Stir in flour
    and dash of pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir over
    medium heat until mixture is thickened. Stir in cheese until
    melted. Set aside.

    To assemble: Place about 1 cup spaghetti sauce in bottom of
    green pyrex pan. Fill lasagna noodles and place on top of
    spaghetti sauce. Pour cheese sauce over the top. Make stripes
    diagonally across the filled pasta.

    Bake, covered, in a 375 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until
    canelloni are heated through. Makes 6 servings. A good meal
    anytime.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    - - - -

    Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 449 Calories; 40g Fat
    (79.0% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 1g
    Dietary Fiber; 128mg Cholesterol; 303mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2
    Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk;
    7 Fat.

    NOTES : This is my own recipe that I made up and we loved it.

  14. On Tue 04 Apr 2006 03:44:54p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ms_peacock?

    Quoted message said:

    In spite of the fact this is made with canned and boxed stuff it's really
    good. It's always a hit at every pot luck I've ever taken it to.

    Ms P

    I love that stuff, and you're right, it always seems to be a hit.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬
    ________________________________________

    Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bob Terwilliger' virtualgoth@dIie_spammer.biz said:

    Om replied:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You mean like building a major coastal city below sea level in an area
    prone to hurricanes?

    It was not below sea level when it was built. ;-)

    Like Venice, it sank.

    It's below sea level NOW, and yet we're building...

    Bob

    I won't argue with that... ;-)

    All in favor of moving New Orleans to a safer location, raise
    hands...... <G>

    Me! <raises hand>

    The cost of building better Levees would have cost one hell of a lot
    less than the current cleanup.

    Morons.
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  16. tert in seattle said:
    Quoted message said:

    I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
    to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
    back on track. Mine's coming right up!

    Shredded Wheat and Eggs (which Serene insists on calling shredded eggs
    and wheat)

    Per person:

    2 of those large shredded-wheat biscuits (we use Barbara's brand,
    because they're round, and James likes that they don't leave pointy
    edges when you crumble them up)
    2 over easy eggs
    1 pat butter or margarine
    salt & pepper

    Crumble up the shredded wheat on a plate. Top with a pat of butter.
    Top that with the eggs, salt, and pepper. Mush up the whole thing
    with a fork until the pieces of egg white are all pretty small and the
    yolk has soaked into the shredded wheat.

    I know it's weird, but James used to eat it as a child, and he's
    converted me to it. We just had it for breakfast, and it was yummy.

    serene

  17. biig said:
    Quoted message said:


    Where in Canada do you find Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix? I've looked at
    both our grocery stores and had no luck?? I used to get it when we went
    to Florida....tia....Sharon

    You can make your own mix.

    Quoted message said:

    From Cooks.com a recipe for Corn Muffin Mix:


    http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,194,147182-251206,00.html

    CORN BREAD MUFFIN MIX

    4 c. unbleached flour
    4 c. yellow corn meal
    3/4 c. sugar
    1/4 c. baking powder
    1 c. vegetable shortening

    Combine dry ingredients, stirring well. Cut in shortening
    with pastry blender or fingers. Store in airtight container
    in a cool dry place. Makes 10-12 cups of mix.

    TO MAKE MUFFINS:

    2 2/3 c. above mix
    1 c. milk
    1 egg

    Beat egg and milk lightly. Stir into mix. Do not beat, it
    will lump. Spoon in 12 greased muffin tins about 2/3 full.
    Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

    -Rusty

  18. On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 14:41:17 GMT, "Audrey" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I'm more of a lurker rather than a poster but I just can't ignore
    a challenge so here goes. Please remember, I'm not well versed
    in posting.

    Hi Audrey! Welcome to the wonderful world of posting! And I
    definitely think you should continue. Those look like good recipes.

    I'm going to have a tough time getting around to all of those that
    have been posted. Almost all look like something that Crash and I
    would like. There's one that's just for him and a couple that are
    just for me. But many, many look like good "family" dishes.

    Thanks to everyone who has and who will be meeting the challenge!

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  19. Rusty said:
    biig said:
    Quoted message said:


    Where in Canada do you find Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix? I've looked at
    both our grocery stores and had no luck?? I used to get it when we went
    to Florida....tia....Sharon

    You can make your own mix.

    Quoted message said:

    From Cooks.com a recipe for Corn Muffin Mix:


    http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,194,147182-251206,00.html

    CORN BREAD MUFFIN MIX

    4 c. unbleached flour
    4 c. yellow corn meal
    3/4 c. sugar
    1/4 c. baking powder
    1 c. vegetable shortening

    Combine dry ingredients, stirring well. Cut in shortening
    with pastry blender or fingers. Store in airtight container
    in a cool dry place. Makes 10-12 cups of mix.

    TO MAKE MUFFINS:

    2 2/3 c. above mix
    1 c. milk
    1 egg

    Beat egg and milk lightly. Stir into mix. Do not beat, it
    will lump. Spoon in 12 greased muffin tins about 2/3 full.
    Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

    -Rusty

    A box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix is 8.5-oz. The Nutritional Facts label
    says a serving is 1/4 cup (1.5-oz) and there are 6 servings per
    container. So there is about 1-1/2 cups of corn muffin mix per 8.5-oz
    box.

    When a recipe calls for a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix, use 1-1/2 cups
    of the above corn muffin recipe mix.

    http://www.jiffymix.com/
    http://www.jiffymix.com/cornnutrition.htm

    -Rusty

  20. Yorkshire Curd Cheesecake

    Ingredients:
    8 oz curds
    2 eggs
    4 oz sugar
    2 oz currants
    small knob of butter melted
    shortcrust pastry

    Method:
    Mix the curds with the dried fruit Stir well-beaten eggs in with the sugar
    and butter.
    Line a 7 or 8 inch dish or plate with pastry.
    Put in the curd mixture.

    Bake for 20 minutes in a moderate oven or until set.

    TO MAKE CURDS

    Warm milk to blood heat and add spoonful of rennet or lemon juice. When
    curds are formed spoon into a cloth and hang over bowl overnight to allow
    the whey to drain out.

    Note. The whey can be used for making scones

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.