General fitness, health and nutrition ยท Public discussion

Recipe for Bird's Custard

Started by Stu ยท ยท Last activity ยท 14 posts ยท 566 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
10 October 2005
Last activity
11 October 2005
Original author
Stu
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
566
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1โ€“14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,

    I have been following the recipe on the back of the Bird's custard
    label but i don't know why my custard always comes out runny ๐Ÿ™( Its
    not thick like custard should be. I've been told that Bird's custard is
    one of the best so why isn't it working for me?

    Can someone write me EXACT steps how to make simple custard using
    Bird's custard power (no eggs)? I'd really appreciate it.

    Note: i'm using 2% milk...not whole milk. Will this make a difference?

    Thanks,
    Stu

  2. On 10 Oct 2005 13:27:37 -0700, in rec.food.cooking, "Stu"
    <[email hidden]> hit the crackpipe and declared:

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I have been following the recipe on the back of the Bird's custard
    label but i don't know why my custard always comes out runny ๐Ÿ™( Its
    not thick like custard should be. I've been told that Bird's custard is
    one of the best so why isn't it working for me?

    Dumbass.....bird's custard is what one wipes off of the car windows.

  3. "Stu" wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I have been following the recipe on the back of the Bird's custard
    label but i don't know why my custard always comes out runny ๐Ÿ™( Its
    not thick like custard should be. I've been told that Bird's custard is
    one of the best so why isn't it working for me?

    Can someone write me EXACT steps how to make simple custard using
    Bird's custard power (no eggs)? I'd really appreciate it.

    Note: i'm using 2% milk...not whole milk. Will this make a difference?

    Thanks,
    Stu

    I have my own thoughts, but try posting your question on
    uk.food+drink.misc - there will be lots of helpful advice there, I'm sure.

    Dora

  4. "Stu" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I have been following the recipe on the back of the Bird's custard
    label but i don't know why my custard always comes out runny ๐Ÿ™( Its
    not thick like custard should be. I've been told that Bird's custard is
    one of the best so why isn't it working for me?

    Can someone write me EXACT steps how to make simple custard using
    Bird's custard power (no eggs)? I'd really appreciate it.

    Note: i'm using 2% milk...not whole milk. Will this make a difference?

    Thanks,
    Stu


    Could be that your not getting the milk hot enough, or it's cooling before
    it heats up the powder mixture. Have you tried returning the custard to the
    pan and simmering, stiring constantly so that it doesn't stick to the bottom
    of the pan, until it thickens?
    Hope that helps
    Sarah

  5. On Mon 10 Oct 2005 02:19:28p, limey wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:


    "Stu" wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I have been following the recipe on the back of the Bird's custard
    label but i don't know why my custard always comes out runny ๐Ÿ™( Its
    not thick like custard should be. I've been told that Bird's custard is
    one of the best so why isn't it working for me?

    Can someone write me EXACT steps how to make simple custard using
    Bird's custard power (no eggs)? I'd really appreciate it.

    Note: i'm using 2% milk...not whole milk. Will this make a difference?

    Thanks,
    Stu

    I have my own thoughts, but try posting your question on
    uk.food+drink.misc - there will be lots of helpful advice there, I'm
    sure.

    Dora

    Dora, did I read somewhere that Bird's was not going to make the custard
    anymore?

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *ยฟ*
    ____________________________________________

    Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  6. Stu said:

    Hello,

    I have been following the recipe on the back of the Bird's custard
    label but i don't know why my custard always comes out runny ๐Ÿ™( Its
    not thick like custard should be. I've been told that Bird's custard is
    one of the best so why isn't it working for me?

    Can someone write me EXACT steps how to make simple custard using
    Bird's custard power (no eggs)? I'd really appreciate it.

    Note: i'm using 2% milk...not whole milk. Will this make a difference?

    Thanks,
    Stu

    Most pudding mixes that use cornstarch for thickening warn against using
    anything other than whole milk for best texture.

    gloria p

  7. Stu said:


    I have been following the recipe on the back of the Bird's custard
    label but i don't know why my custard always comes out runny ๐Ÿ™( Its
    not thick like custard should be. I've been told that Bird's custard is
    one of the best so why isn't it working for me?

    Can someone write me EXACT steps how to make simple custard using
    Bird's custard power (no eggs)? I'd really appreciate it.

    Note: i'm using 2% milk...not whole milk. Will this make a difference?

    Quoted message said:

    From a web search I'd guess your Bird's Custard is similar to Junket


    Rennet custard, which also, due to lack of egg, often turns out
    watery... so why pray tell are you using this bird [censored]?

    en.wikipedia.orgBird's Custard

  8. "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message >

    Quoted message said:

    Dora, did I read somewhere that Bird's was not going to make the custard
    anymore?

    Wayne Boatwright *ยฟ*

    What? The end of the British Empire?
    Seriously, the link below was interesting to me - I didn't know Premier
    Foods had acquired Bird's -- from Kraft!! I didn't even know Kraft had
    acquired Bird's. I can only assume the custard powder is still being made,
    since it has always been popular and such a timesaver. Don't know, though.

    My own thoughts are that the OP is perhaps not cooking it quite long enough,
    or using the wrong milk grade. It also thickens as it cools slightly, so
    it's hard to tell what he's doing.

    Dora

  9. "Stu" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I have been following the recipe on the back of the Bird's custard
    label but i don't know why my custard always comes out runny ๐Ÿ™( Its
    not thick like custard should be. I've been told that Bird's custard is
    one of the best so why isn't it working for me?

    Can someone write me EXACT steps how to make simple custard using
    Bird's custard power (no eggs)? I'd really appreciate it.

    Note: i'm using 2% milk...not whole milk. Will this make a difference?

    Thanks,
    Stu


    That's because it's supposed to be that way. Bird's custard or most English
    style
    custard powders instand or cooked are made for pouring over things. They do
    NOT set into a pudding type consistency.

    MoM

  10. Oops - forgot to paste the link:

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4081713.stm

    Dora

  11. Stu said:


    Hello,

    I have been following the recipe on the back of the Bird's custard
    label but i don't know why my custard always comes out runny ๐Ÿ™( Its
    not thick like custard should be. I've been told that Bird's custard is
    one of the best so why isn't it working for me?

    Can someone write me EXACT steps how to make simple custard using
    Bird's custard power (no eggs)? I'd really appreciate it.

    Note: i'm using 2% milk...not whole milk. Will this make a difference?

    Thanks,
    Stu

    Bird's custard, made according to package directions, will be fluid
    (it's meant for pouring). It won't set solid like a baked custard.
    Perhaps you aren't cooking the custard mix long enough to thicken
    properly.

  12. On Mon 10 Oct 2005 04:15:44p, limey wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:


    "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message >

    Quoted message said:

    Dora, did I read somewhere that Bird's was not going to make the
    custard anymore?

    Wayne Boatwright *ยจ*

    What? The end of the British Empire?
    Seriously, the link below was interesting to me - I didn't know Premier
    Foods had acquired Bird's -- from Kraft!! I didn't even know Kraft had
    acquired Bird's. I can only assume the custard powder is still being
    made, since it has always been popular and such a timesaver. Don't
    know, though.

    There was a thread about this in the UK group some time back. As I recall,
    at that point in time nothing had been written about Bird's continuing to
    be
    produced. I think the acquisition had been announced but not the details.

    Quoted message said:

    My own thoughts are that the OP is perhaps not cooking it quite long
    enough, or using the wrong milk grade. It also thickens as it cools
    slightly, so it's hard to tell what he's doing.

    That would be my guess, too. Perhaps both. I remember my mom making a
    cooked Jell-o pudding once using skim milk. It was dreadful, and also thin
    consistency. If something calls for whole milk, there's usually a reason.
    :-)

    Cheers!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *ยฟ*
    _____________________________

    http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

    Popie-In-The-Bowl

  13. On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:26:06 -0600, in rec.food.cooking, Arri London

    Quoted message said:
    Stu said:


    Hello,

    I have been following the recipe on the back of the Bird's custard
    label but i don't know why my custard always comes out runny ๐Ÿ™( Its
    not thick like custard should be. I've been told that Bird's custard is
    one of the best so why isn't it working for me?

    Can someone write me EXACT steps how to make simple custard using
    Bird's custard power (no eggs)? I'd really appreciate it.

    Note: i'm using 2% milk...not whole milk. Will this make a difference?

    Thanks,
    Stu

    Bird's custard, made according to package directions, will be fluid
    (it's meant for pouring). It won't set solid like a baked custard.
    Perhaps you aren't cooking the custard mix long enough to thicken
    properly.

    Funny, I hadn't thought of that when I read the first post -- Stu, what
    are you expecting? Something to pour over apple pie, or something to put
    in a pastry case like an egg custard?

    Doug
    --
    Doug Weller -- exorcise the demon to reply
    Doug & Helen's Dogs http://www.dougandhelen.com
    A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com
    Doug's Archaeology Site: http://www.ramtops.co.uk

  14. "Doug Weller" in message >

    Arri London said:


    Quoted message said:


    Bird's custard, made according to package directions, will be fluid
    (it's meant for pouring). It won't set solid like a baked custard.
    Perhaps you aren't cooking the custard mix long enough to thicken
    properly.

    Funny, I hadn't thought of that when I read the first post -- Stu, what
    are you expecting? Something to pour over apple pie, or something to put
    in a pastry case like an egg custard?

    Doug

    When I was a child, my mother would make a pie that I loved - single-crust
    pastry (baked), spread with raspberry jam and sliced bananas and covered
    with a layer of extra-thick Bird's custard. The rest of the time, the
    custard was poured over cooked fruit, or apple pie, or whatever.

    Dora

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users ยท 0 guests ยท0 bots ยท0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.