General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Recipe: Meat pie filling

Started by PeterLucas · · Last activity · 10 posts · 199 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
30 August 2007
Last activity
12 September 2007
Original author
PeterLucas
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
199
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Rich and tasty........ and even better whacked in between some puff
    pastry and baked in a pie case!!

    (BTW, thanks Maggie!!)

    Ingredients

    1kg Coorong Angus Beef Chuck (I used any old beef)
    seasoned gluten free flour (or whatever)
    Extra virgin Olive oil (or whatever)
    600ml Shiraz........ (a good one!!)
    500ml veal or jellied chicken stock (I used commercial tetra pak stock)
    2 bay leaves (didn't have, so didn't use...... didn't miss them)
    150g bacon (I used about 300g's)
    100g eshallots peeled and halved (cooking onions would suffice)
    1tsp chopped fresh thyme
    50g tomato paste
    2 cloves of garlic crushed
    150g Portobello or button mushrooms ( I used about 400g's)

    Method

    Cut beef into 2cm cubes (or 1.5cm for small pies.) Using a plastic bag
    toss seasoned gluten free flour and beef chunks to just coat. Choose a
    heavy based pot. Fry off beef chunks in 3 to 4 small batches till
    golden.
    Put all meat back into the pot, add the tomato paste, the garlic and
    cook for a minute. Add eshallots and bacon. Season with some sea salt.

    Turn to high temperature and deglaze with the red wine. Add the chopped
    mushrooms and the stock and bring whole mix to the boil, skimming of any
    impurities. Add bay leaves and thyme. Leave to cook till tender on stove
    top approximately 2.5 to 3 hours.

    Check seasoning and add freshly ground black pepper. Strain meat and
    reduce sauce to desired consistency.

    --
    Peter Lucas
    Brisbane
    Australia

    "People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
    the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
    -- George Orwell

  2. PeterLucas said...

    Quoted message said:

    Rich and tasty........ and even better whacked in between some puff
    pastry and baked in a pie case!!

    Peter,

    <recipe snipped for brevity>

    Mmmmm... meat pies... [drool]

    That's a gourmet meat pie filling?!? I didn't realize so much went into a
    meat pie!

    About the recipe, how many regular meat pies will that batch make?

    Andy

  3. Andy q said:

    PeterLucas said...

    Quoted message said:

    Rich and tasty........ and even better whacked in between some puff
    pastry and baked in a pie case!!

    Peter,

    <recipe snipped for brevity>

    Mmmmm... meat pies... [drool]

    That's a gourmet meat pie filling?!? I didn't realize so much went into a
    meat pie!

    About the recipe, how many regular meat pies will that batch make?

    Andy

    I would think about 4-6 individual pies Andy... depending on size of
    container. If you used a ramekin and just 'lidded' with pastry you'd
    possibly get more like 4.
    Would make an impressive family pie in a large, deep sided, pie dish.
    Could also dispense with lid on top and go with a really scrumptious
    garlic mashed potato.... for a cottage pie!

    BTW, have been browning all meats in the oven of late. As opposed to
    in pan on stovetop.
    Heat a large deep sided baking dish in a 220DegC oven for around 10
    mins then drizzle with evoo then add meat.
    Bake in hot oven for around 20 minutes, moving meat around after about
    12-15 mins.

    Started the experiment with cubed/diced meats. Amazing the difference
    in tenderness.
    Then tried stir fry strips (for a stroganoff). Equally good results.
    Last week did minced beef, then mashed with a fork once it was
    browned, for a bolognaise. In fact ended up doing the entire bog in
    the oven, save for sauteeing the onions, and it was brilliant.
    Didn't use tomato paste, instead used 3 bottles of passata, using one
    at a time until it had evaporated, then added another, baked some
    more, finally another. Mind you, I did use 2kg topside mince. Plus all
    other bits & pieces. It was a truly delicious spag bol.

    LadyJane
    "Never trust a skinny cook!"
    Looking forward to the 12 Sept.... my new kitchen arrives!!!!!!

  4. Andy <q> wrote in news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    PeterLucas said...

    Quoted message said:

    Rich and tasty........ and even better whacked in between some puff
    pastry and baked in a pie case!!

    Peter,

    <recipe snipped for brevity>

    Mmmmm... meat pies... [drool]

    That's a gourmet meat pie filling?!? I didn't realize so much went
    into a meat pie!

    It sure is gourmet. Comes from Maggie Beer.

    Quoted message said:


    About the recipe, how many regular meat pies will that batch make?

    If you mean regular as in what we buy in a shop over here for a snack.....
    probably (if my memory serves me correctly.... damn I miss that show!!)
    about 8-10. I put the mix in my biggest pyrex dish........ it's about 3"
    deep and 12" across.

    --
    Peter Lucas
    Brisbane
    Australia

    "People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
    the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
    -- George Orwell

  5. LadyJane <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Andy q said:

    PeterLucas said...

    Quoted message said:

    Rich and tasty........ and even better whacked in between some puff
    pastry and baked in a pie case!!

    Peter,

    <recipe snipped for brevity>

    Mmmmm... meat pies... [drool]

    That's a gourmet meat pie filling?!? I didn't realize so much went
    into a meat pie!

    About the recipe, how many regular meat pies will that batch make?

    Andy

    I would think about 4-6 individual pies Andy... depending on size of
    container. If you used a ramekin and just 'lidded' with pastry you'd
    possibly get more like 4.

    *4*???!! Them's is bloody big ramekins!!

    Quoted message said:

    Would make an impressive family pie in a large, deep sided, pie dish.
    Could also dispense with lid on top and go with a really scrumptious
    garlic mashed potato.... for a cottage pie!

    I'm going to have to ask the SO what I did with it, and when. I think I
    may have done it for a dinner party we had... not sure.

    Quoted message said:


    BTW, have been browning all meats in the oven of late. As opposed to
    in pan on stovetop.
    Heat a large deep sided baking dish in a 220DegC oven for around 10
    mins then drizzle with evoo then add meat.
    Bake in hot oven for around 20 minutes, moving meat around after about
    12-15 mins.

    Started the experiment with cubed/diced meats. Amazing the difference
    in tenderness.

    Hmmmmm, going to have to try this. Thanks.

    Quoted message said:

    In fact ended up doing the entire bog in
    the oven,

    Jeez..... you must be a short [censored]..... or you've got a rather large
    oven!!

    Is the toilet roll holder in there too??

    ;-P

    --
    Peter Lucas
    Brisbane
    Australia

    "People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
    the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
    -- George Orwell

  6. Is an eshallot an onion bought over the Internet ?

    Steve

    PS I assume a " good Shiraz" rules out use of any Ozzie stuff :-)

    PPS 400g's ? 400g surely ?

  7. Steve Y <[email hidden]> wrote in news:5jqlvrFqvcuU1
    @mid.individual.net:

    Quoted message said:

    Is an eshallot an onion bought over the Internet ?

    You very obviously didn't read the last part.

    100g eshallots peeled and halved (cooking onions would suffice)

    Quoted message said:


    Steve

    PS I assume a " good Shiraz" rules out use of any Ozzie stuff :-)

    Oh yeah, OK........ lets use a 'good' US shiraz.

    Don't hold your breath!! ROFLMFAO!!!!!

    Quoted message said:


    PPS 400g's ? 400g surely ?

    In the context of the recipe, it says.........

    "150g Portobello or button mushrooms ( I used about 400g's)"

    Quite clearly it states that the original recipe calls for 150g's of
    mushrooms, but at the end I have added that I used 'about 400g's)

    But............ seeing what a pedant(ic) person you are..... I *really*
    don't give a [censored].

    Go away, and carry on, where-ever you may like....... just don't do it
    in my grid square. OK?

    --
    Peter Lucas
    Brisbane
    Australia

    "People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
    the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
    -- George Orwell

  8. Cobber

    A) shallot (English), échalote (French) , Eshallot (?)

    B) in " 400g's ", what purpose does the apostrophe serve ?

    C) Am sure that Ozzie Shiraz is far better than American Shiraz (note
    the use of the smiley in my original post), unfortunately here in the
    Beaujolais, there is a lack of available samples for me to do my own
    taste test. We do have Cote du Rhone available of course but we do tend
    to use the local wine for coooking

    Steve

    PS I do like winding up colonials when given the chance !

    PeterLucas said:

    Steve Y <[email hidden]> wrote in news:5jqlvrFqvcuU1
    @mid.individual.net:

    Quoted message said:

    Is an eshallot an onion bought over the Internet ?

    You very obviously didn't read the last part.

    100g eshallots peeled and halved (cooking onions would suffice)

    Quoted message said:

    Steve

    PS I assume a " good Shiraz" rules out use of any Ozzie stuff :-)

    Oh yeah, OK........ lets use a 'good' US shiraz.

    Don't hold your breath!! ROFLMFAO!!!!!

    Quoted message said:

    PPS 400g's ? 400g surely ?

    In the context of the recipe, it says.........

    "150g Portobello or button mushrooms ( I used about 400g's)"

    Quite clearly it states that the original recipe calls for 150g's of
    mushrooms, but at the end I have added that I used 'about 400g's)

    But............ seeing what a pedant(ic) person you are..... I *really*
    don't give a [censored].

    Go away, and carry on, where-ever you may like....... just don't do it
    in my grid square. OK?

  9. Cobber

    A) shallot (English), échalote (French) , Eshallot (?)

    B) in " 400g's ", what purpose does the "apostrophe s" serve ?

    C) Am sure that Ozzie Shiraz is far better than American Shiraz (note
    the use of the smiley in my original post), unfortunately here in the
    Beaujolais, there is a lack of available samples for me to do my own
    taste test. We do have Cote du Rhone available of course but we do tend
    to use the local wine for coooking

    Steve

    Steve Y said:

    Cobber

    A) shallot (English), échalote (French) , Eshallot (?)

    B) in " 400g's ", what purpose does the apostrophe serve ?

    C) Am sure that Ozzie Shiraz is far better than American Shiraz (note
    the use of the smiley in my original post), unfortunately here in the
    Beaujolais, there is a lack of available samples for me to do my own
    taste test. We do have Cote du Rhone available of course but we do tend
    to use the local wine for coooking

    Steve

    PS I do like winding up colonials when given the chance !

    PeterLucas said:

    Steve Y <[email hidden]> wrote in news:5jqlvrFqvcuU1
    @mid.individual.net:

    Quoted message said:

    Is an eshallot an onion bought over the Internet ?

    You very obviously didn't read the last part.

    100g eshallots peeled and halved (cooking onions would suffice)

    Quoted message said:

    Steve

    PS I assume a " good Shiraz" rules out use of any Ozzie stuff :-)

    Oh yeah, OK........ lets use a 'good' US shiraz.

    Don't hold your breath!! ROFLMFAO!!!!!

    Quoted message said:

    PPS 400g's ? 400g surely ?

    In the context of the recipe, it says.........

    "150g Portobello or button mushrooms ( I used about 400g's)"

    Quite clearly it states that the original recipe calls for 150g's of
    mushrooms, but at the end I have added that I used 'about 400g's)

    But............ seeing what a pedant(ic) person you are..... I
    *really* don't give a [censored].

    Go away, and carry on, where-ever you may like....... just don't do it
    in my grid square. OK?

  10. LadyJane <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    BTW, have been browning all meats in the oven of late. As opposed to
    in pan on stovetop.
    Heat a large deep sided baking dish in a 220DegC oven for around 10
    mins then drizzle with evoo then add meat.
    Bake in hot oven for around 20 minutes, moving meat around after about
    12-15 mins.

    Talking about cooking beef in the oven..........

    http://www.abc.net.au/tv/cookandchef/txt/s2030116.htm

    She used Vino Cotto instead of balsamic.

    BTW, Maggies online shopping has free shipping for this month.

    http://www.maggiebeer.com.au/products/

    I'm getting my order together now :-)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.