General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Recipes/Food/Weight

Started by tofuqueen · · Last activity · 62 posts · 440 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
3 April 2007
Last activity
8 April 2007
Original author
tofuqueen
Posts
62
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
440
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 62
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've been wondering this for a long time as I've lurked for a couple
    of years in this newsgroup. If I ate just a portion of the foods that
    I talked about in here; I'd be an elephant. How do you guys eat some
    of these higher fat foods/carbs, etc. and not gain weight?

    I just thought of this when I read the deep fried ravioli thread. I
    mean, I have to stay away from ravioli (I eat very few carbs except
    for fruit and small amounts of pasta or rice) So eating ravioli would
    be a treat...but deep fried? I'd really gain weight.

    How do most of you maintain your weight while eating a lot of the
    foods that you talk about in this group?

  2. "tofuqueen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've been wondering this for a long time as I've lurked for a couple
    of years in this newsgroup. If I ate just a portion of the foods that
    I talked about in here; I'd be an elephant. How do you guys eat some
    of these higher fat foods/carbs, etc. and not gain weight?

    Portion control.

  3. cybercat said:

    "tofuqueen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've been wondering this for a long time as I've lurked for a couple
    of years in this newsgroup. If I ate just a portion of the foods that
    I talked about in here; I'd be an elephant. How do you guys eat some
    of these higher fat foods/carbs, etc. and not gain weight?

    Portion control.

    AHA! Something I'm not good at. When/if I make a recipe that I
    really like, it's hard for me to not keep eating it so I"m better off
    not making it. I've always been good about my food choices but I'm
    really bad at food amounts. Back in my heavier days (before I lost 25
    pounds on South Beach and 10 pounds from cancer) I would stand in the
    kitchen with a fresh, warm loaf of crusty bread with kalamata olives
    in it. I'd dip it in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Would I just
    eat a peice or two? Hell no, I'd eat half the loaf. I gained 30
    pounds eating healthy foods and don't want that to happen again!
    Maybe I just need some duct tape :-)

  4. tofuqueen said:

    I've been wondering this for a long time as I've lurked for a couple
    of years in this newsgroup. If I ate just a portion of the foods that
    I talked about in here; I'd be an elephant. How do you guys eat some
    of these higher fat foods/carbs, etc. and not gain weight?


    I for one don't eat like that every day. Some days I eat very little at
    all. Christine Dabney and I met up last week and she'll be the first to
    tell you just because we talk about it and post recipes doesn't mean we
    consume it all the time every time we post about it. For me it's mostly
    about leftovers and freezing things so I don't have to cook during the week.

    Jill

  5. tofuqueen said:


    How do most of you maintain your weight while eating a lot of the
    foods that you talk about in this group?

    Some people have already said "portion control" - but we take it a step
    further by only having deep-fried food etc. as a "treat" now and again.
    We always trim most of the fat off our meat (I think you don't eat meat.
    tho'😉 and try and eat a lot of veggies and salads. However, having said
    that, I think it also depends on one's metabolism (if that's the right
    word?). Some people can eat more than others without having weight
    problems. For instance, I have a friend with thyroid problems - she has
    had a hell of a time getting her medication right, and it is still not
    ideal - she only has to "look" at certain foods to put on weight. She
    has been on Weight Watchers, and tried various other diets over the
    years - doesn't help her much.... and she eats "like a bird". Life is
    not always fair, IMHO.
    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy

  6. cybercat said:

    "tofuqueen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've been wondering this for a long time as I've lurked for a couple
    of years in this newsgroup. If I ate just a portion of the foods
    that I talked about in here; I'd be an elephant. How do you guys
    eat some of these higher fat foods/carbs, etc. and not gain weight?

    Portion control.

    Exactly right. If I'd make fried ravioli, I'd probably fry about 20 pieces,
    but it would take me maybe 3 days to finish it. If I make tacos, I only eat
    one, sometimes just a half of one. I'll eat the other half later. I quit
    eating the minute I feel food hit my belly.

    kili

  7. "tofuqueen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've been wondering this for a long time as I've lurked for a couple
    of years in this newsgroup. If I ate just a portion of the foods that
    I talked about in here; I'd be an elephant. How do you guys eat some
    of these higher fat foods/carbs, etc. and not gain weight?

    I just thought of this when I read the deep fried ravioli thread. I
    mean, I have to stay away from ravioli (I eat very few carbs except
    for fruit and small amounts of pasta or rice) So eating ravioli would
    be a treat...but deep fried? I'd really gain weight.

    How do most of you maintain your weight while eating a lot of the
    foods that you talk about in this group?


    Writing about food here is a way of having the food without eating it.
    Generally the posts are in response to a query or remembrance. Even those
    who ask how to cook something may only be asking and filing away the answer.
    Also, each of us represents a unique environment of food and food
    experience. We share that environment here and then some of us may make the
    item occasionally. It just seems as though we all are eating everything all
    the time. ;o}
    Janet

  8. tofuqueen said:

    I've been wondering this for a long time as I've lurked for a couple
    of years in this newsgroup.  If I ate just a portion of the foods that
    I talked about in here; I'd be an elephant.  How do you guys eat some
    of these higher fat foods/carbs, etc. and not gain weight?

    I just thought of this when I read the deep fried ravioli thread.  I
    mean, I have to stay away from ravioli (I eat very few carbs except
    for fruit and small amounts of pasta or rice)  So eating ravioli would
    be a treat...but deep fried?  I'd really gain weight.

    How do most of you maintain your weight while eating a lot of the
    foods that you talk about in this group?

    Easy, don't gourmandize every day. Most of my meals are very low fat
    and high fiber, I love salads of all types. I rarely have rich
    desserts... my desserts are typically fresh fruits... yeah, I will
    usually eat an entire quart of ice cream in one fell swoop, but only
    about once every 2-3 months, I don't really enjoy one or two scoops.
    You can enjoy those rich foods but not every day... save them for the
    occasional holiday meal, otherwise they are no longer special. I
    seriously doubt many folks eat fried wontons (or any fried foods)
    every day. The last time I had french fries was more than three years
    ago, ordered at a local steak house instead of the baked potato, they
    were awful, shoulda had the baked. Yesterday's breakfast was two mugs
    of strong black coffee, my usual, I typically don't eat breakfast...
    for lunch I prepared a large salad, lots of greens, diced celery,
    peppers, cukes, a grated carrot, a can of garbanzos, a can of green
    beans, a small diced onion, a few grates of parmasean, and bottled
    'talian red wine dressing, sparingly... I ate the whole thing (well,
    not really, my cats love garbanzos so they had about 1/4 the can).
    But then dinner time came and I really wasn't very hungry so ate two
    small granny smith apples at the PC. About 9 pm I got the munchies, a
    half dozen sesame crackers with raspberry jam and a screwdriver did
    the trick... by 11:30 I was asleep. I'm sure there are those who do
    eat lots of rich foods every meal, but they weigh 300 lbs, and wonder
    why. And with the way I eat I don't need to concern myself with
    portion control, I eat all I want because the types of foods I eat
    *first* are self limiting.

    Sheldon

  9. Janet B. said:

    "tofuqueen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...> I've been wondering this for a long time as I've lurked for a couple

    Quoted message said:

    of years in this newsgroup.  If I ate just a portion of the foods that
    I talked about in here; I'd be an elephant.  How do you guys eat some
    of these higher fat foods/carbs, etc. and not gain weight?

    Quoted message said:

    I just thought of this when I read the deep fried ravioli thread.  I
    mean, I have to stay away from ravioli (I eat very few carbs except
    for fruit and small amounts of pasta or rice)  So eating ravioli would
    be a treat...but deep fried?  I'd really gain weight.

    Quoted message said:

    How do most of you maintain your weight while eating a lot of the
    foods that you talk about in this group?

    Writing about food here is a way of having the food without eating it.
    Generally the posts are in response to a query or remembrance.  Even those
    who ask how to cook something may only be asking and filing away the answer.
    Also, each of us represents a unique environment of food and food
    experience.  We share that environment here and then some of us may make the
    item occasionally.  It just seems as though we all are eating everything all
    the time. ;o}
    Janet

    Yours is the best answer, just because I'm remembering and writing
    about all those fat corned beef sandwiches doesn't mean I'm eating
    them as I type.

  10. Sheldon said:
    Janet B. said:

    "tofuqueen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...> I've
    been wondering this for a long time as I've lurked for a couple

    Quoted message said:

    of years in this newsgroup. If I ate just a portion of the foods
    that I talked about in here; I'd be an elephant. How do you guys
    eat some of these higher fat foods/carbs, etc. and not gain weight?



    (snippage)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    How do most of you maintain your weight while eating a lot of the
    foods that you talk about in this group?

    Writing about food here is a way of having the food without eating
    it.
    Generally the posts are in response to a query or remembrance. Even
    those
    who ask how to cook something may only be asking and filing away the
    answer.
    Also, each of us represents a unique environment of food and food
    experience. We share that environment here and then some of us may
    make the
    item occasionally. It just seems as though we all are eating
    everything all
    the time. ;o}
    Janet

    Yours is the best answer, just because I'm remembering and writing
    about all those fat corned beef sandwiches doesn't mean I'm eating
    them as I type.

    Exactly. I got a craving for spring rolls after koko's post. I went to the
    Chinese place down the street and bought three of them. I ate one of them;
    I'll eat the other two in the next few days. I didn't eat any of the fried
    wontons. Again, they will be consumed gradually over the next few days.

    Now, of course, Sheldon has set off a craving for a big (not fatty!) corned
    beef sandwich. There's a local deli chain (obviously nothing like an
    authentic NYC deli) that piles the corned beef so high you can barely get
    your mouth around it (shut up, Sheldon!). I can only consume 1/4 of that
    sandwich at a time. So the rest gets portioned out, wrapped up and saved
    for gradual eating over the course of a few days.

    Jill

  11. "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Janet B. said:

    "tofuqueen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...> I've been
    wondering this for a long time as I've lurked for a couple

    Quoted message said:

    of years in this newsgroup. If I ate just a portion of the foods that
    I talked about in here; I'd be an elephant. How do you guys eat some
    of these higher fat foods/carbs, etc. and not gain weight?

    Quoted message said:

    I just thought of this when I read the deep fried ravioli thread. I
    mean, I have to stay away from ravioli (I eat very few carbs except
    for fruit and small amounts of pasta or rice) So eating ravioli would
    be a treat...but deep fried? I'd really gain weight.

    Quoted message said:

    How do most of you maintain your weight while eating a lot of the
    foods that you talk about in this group?

    Writing about food here is a way of having the food without eating it.
    Generally the posts are in response to a query or remembrance. Even those
    who ask how to cook something may only be asking and filing away the
    answer.
    Also, each of us represents a unique environment of food and food
    experience. We share that environment here and then some of us may make
    the
    item occasionally. It just seems as though we all are eating everything
    all
    the time. ;o}
    Janet

    Yours is the best answer, just because I'm remembering and writing
    about all those fat corned beef sandwiches doesn't mean I'm eating
    them as I type.

    Aw-w-w. Sheldon, you made me blush. :o}}}}
    Janet

  12. Janet B. said:


    Aw-w-w. Sheldon, you made me blush. :o}}}}
    Janet

    And it won't be the last time, lemme tell ya 😉
    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy - munching on pistachio's

  13. tofuqueen said:
    cybercat said:

    "tofuqueen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've been wondering this for a long time as I've lurked for a couple
    of years in this newsgroup. If I ate just a portion of the foods that
    I talked about in here; I'd be an elephant. How do you guys eat some
    of these higher fat foods/carbs, etc. and not gain weight?

    Quoted message said:

    Portion control.

    AHA! Something I'm not good at. When/if I make a recipe that I
    really like, it's hard for me to not keep eating it so I"m better off
    not making it. I've always been good about my food choices but I'm
    really bad at food amounts. Back in my heavier days (before I lost 25
    pounds on South Beach and 10 pounds from cancer) I would stand in the
    kitchen with a fresh, warm loaf of crusty bread with kalamata olives
    in it. I'd dip it in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Would I just
    eat a peice or two? Hell no, I'd eat half the loaf. I gained 30
    pounds eating healthy foods and don't want that to happen again!
    Maybe I just need some duct tape :-)

    While I'm still working on it, I find two methods help me control how
    much
    I consume. First is portions. During the week this is not hard: I
    bring my
    lunches to work, and well as breakfast (food nauseates me first thing
    in
    the am). I have containers that are the right size for a sandwich,
    several
    portions of fruits and veggies, mini-bags of treats so I don't feel
    deprived
    and gorge, lots of seltzer and juice for spritzers. dinner and snacks
    at
    home same thing. I'll break up my chocolate into 100 calorie or less
    pieces,
    and allow myself two in the evening. Dinner is a big bowl of salad,
    and
    portioned pieces of protein and carbs. Sauces and seasonings are
    almost
    all non-fat (tomato sauce, lemon and herbs, salsa, etc.) and if I open
    a
    box of cookies, my family will make sure I don't eat too many by
    finishing
    off the box for me<g>.

    The other half is I have a list of portions and servings that I allow
    myself
    each day. When I have my protein, or carb or fruit, I check off a
    box.
    When I've checked them all, I have to make do with a few grapes or
    plain seltzer.

    Last but not least. Don't grab the box of crackers or whatever and
    eat out of it. Take some food from the container, put it on a plate,
    put the container back where it belongs, sit at the table (no
    snacking in front of the tube) eat, and then put your dish in the
    sink and go do something else.

    maxine in ri

  14. tofuqueen said:

    How do most of you maintain your weight while eating a lot of the
    foods that you talk about in this group?

    Many of us got fat at an early age, so maintaining our weight is
    no problem.

    -sw

  15. Janet B. said:

    Writing about food here is a way of having the food without eating it.

    Yeah, but it's *reading* about other people's food that makes me
    beeline for the kitchen for some rediscovered/forgotten food
    craving.

    -sw

  16. tofuqueen said:

    On Apr 2, 8:33 pm, "cybercat" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Portion control.

    Quoted message said:

    AHA! Something I'm not good at. When/if I make a recipe that I
    really like, it's hard for me to not keep eating it so I"m better off
    not making it. I've always been good about my food choices but I'm
    really bad at food amounts.

    Generally speaking, any recipe can be downsixed, and if it's
    heavy on carbs and/or fat, those components can be reduced
    disproportionately and the recipe will come out fine.

    I don't calorie-count but I do try to scale the nutritional
    content of everything I cook to what is reasonable. For example
    in our household a standard serving of dried pasta is two ounces.
    (Fresh pasta a bit more.) That may not seem like a lot of pasta
    but if you include enough vegetables it amounts to a large plate
    of food. An easy-to-use kitchen scale is a great investment.

    What you can't count on is the human body sending your brain
    signals telling you how much to eat. That may work for lower
    animals or prehistoric man but it does not work for modern humans.

    Steve

  17. "Steve Wertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    tofuqueen said:

    How do most of you maintain your weight while eating a lot of the
    foods that you talk about in this group?

    Many of us got fat at an early age, so maintaining our weight is
    no problem.

    That's pretty funny, [censored].

  18. "cybercat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Steve Wertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    tofuqueen said:

    How do most of you maintain your weight while eating a lot of the
    foods that you talk about in this group?

    Many of us got fat at an early age, so maintaining our weight is
    no problem.

    That's pretty funny, [censored].

    No wonder why everyone here considers you a "garbage" poster, your foul -
    mouthed meanderings contribue *nothing* to the discourse on this froup...and
    that goes for your potty - mouthed pal "L", too.

    --
    Best
    Greg

  19. Gregory Morrow said:

    No wonder why everyone here considers you a "garbage" poster, your foul -
    mouthed meanderings contribue *nothing* to the discourse on this froup...and
    that goes for your potty - mouthed pal "L", too.

    Pssst: Greg! You're not exactly an RFC treasure yourself.

    Why *are* you here anyway? Sheryl's long gone. Isn't your work
    done here?

    -sw

  20. "Steve Wertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Gregory Morrow said:

    No wonder why everyone here considers you a "garbage" poster, your foul -
    mouthed meanderings contribue *nothing* to the discourse on this
    froup...and
    that goes for your potty - mouthed pal "L", too.

    Pssst: Greg! You're not exactly an RFC treasure yourself.

    Nor are you, Stevie.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.