Recomendations fo shoes to use with flat pedals on a road bike.

DCM1

May 6, 2011
Hi, being new to road cycling and having had a couple of recent crashes (the last resulting in a broken arm!) I want to move away from using clipless pedals/cleets as i just dont feel comfortable being attached to the bike.

I am considering the following pedals:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wellgo-b25-cnc-alloy-flat-pedals/

I am not sure which shoes would be best to use with these, id like to have flat soles for good contact with the pedals but would also like some degree of stifness in the sole (i dont need the ability to run cleats with them).

Does anyone have any recomendadtions as to the type/make of cycling shoe that would best suite my needs?

Thanks for looking.

You might want to check out Touring style shoes. They usually have the stiffer soles needed to support your foot on the pedal, but you can still walk around in them. Often they can be used with or without cleats, so that might be one option for you.

My favorite shoes to ride in when I'm not in cleats are Tom's Cordones (on my 20-year old Specialized touring pedals). No midsole except for some leather, and nice and flat and breathable. I'll wear them if I'm riding around the city when I need to walk as well as ride. Extra bonus is when you buy a pair, they give a pair to a kid in need.

You can also get platform clipless pedals that allow you to use both. Shimano's SPD system is pretty good with it, and there are walkable shoes available.