Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Recommend me a Bike Pump

Started by 87Trek · · Last activity · 18 posts · 2,643 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
16 August 2006
Last activity
20 August 2006
Original author
87Trek
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,643
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am looking to buy a new bike pump. Right now I am using an air compressor but I want a floor pump. I dont want to spend a whole lot of money ($80 or less range). I want something solid that will last a while and work good. I would also like it to have a gauge and maybe be able to handle both types of valves (shredder and presta). Any advice would be very helpful.
    Thanks!

  2. i bought this one months ago. it works fine. serfas.comFP 200B.shtml

  3. you cannot go past the silca pista. It has replaceable parts and just keeps going and going. I picked mine up for $AUS80

  4. hehe, not to be 'anti' or anything, but I hated my Silca Pista pump so much I gave it away. That stupid friction-fit chuck thing was a bugger to get on and off the valve and it generally drove me insane.

    The cam-release style pump attachments are much easier IMO.

    At the moment I'm using a bargain basement AU$30 BBB floor pump I scrounged at a bike store sale one day. For the past year I've been meaning to replace it with a 'quality' floor pump, but this cheapy has been faultless. (If I were shopping for quality, I'd go for a good model made by Topeak or SKS)

  5. 87Trek said:

    I am looking to buy a new bike pump. Right now I am using an air compressor but I want a floor pump. I dont want to spend a whole lot of money ($80 or less range). I want something solid that will last a while and work good. I would also like it to have a gauge and maybe be able to handle both types of valves (shredder and presta). Any advice would be very helpful.
    Thanks!


    I just have a Tiaoga, it does both sorts of valves (I have both) and only cost me $40 from my LBS.

  6. I have a genuine innovations top dog I think. It was less than $50 aud and has been faultless. The head also fits schraeder valves.

  7. I got this bad boy and its fine... Dual head so no need to switch internals... Nice guage...

    [img]i23.ebayimg.com80 1 b.JPG[/img]

  8. Here is another solid pump for about $65 US at Performance: performancebike.comprofile.cfm
    Last week, they had it on sale for $55, and I had a coupon for $20 off any item over $50, so I was able to get one for $35. I like the separate chuck for Presta and Schrader valves instead of the supposedly "smart" chucks, the locking chuck, and the fact that the pump is completely rebuildable.
    parktool.comdetail.asp

  9. Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone know if the Blackburn Air Tower 4 is any good?
    [IMG]blackburndesign.compop air tower 4.jpg[/IMG]

  10. My less than $50 Joe Blow pump with gauge and dual head is easy to attach, easy to detach (no loss of pressure), has a wide steel base, long hose and fills to >100psi fast.

    See it here: topeak.comjbsport.php

    Ray

  11. Joe Blow Turbo or Joe Blow Pro. Smart Head connector is great.

  12. It may be clear by now that floor pumps are pretty cheap and when it gets down to it there are the minor differences that decide what you choose. I am agreement that I prefer the cam type heads over the friction heads. The head goes over the valve easily and it's a simple matter to flip the cam to lock it on. A gauge is handy as candy, even though they may only be mediocre as far as accuracy is concerned. I have a cheap Avenir Airmax pump. I don't remember how much I payed for it. I know it just keeps working without a problem. In fact, I left it outside for a few months and it got rusty. I brought it inside, gave it a little oiling and it still works just fine.

    summary: what I prefer, dual head (had both fittings so you don't have to futz with changing anything to be able to fill the occasional schrader style tube). A gauge to see the pressure. The barrel of the pump long enough to make it efficient at pumping air into the tire. Dozens of pumps meet those conditions. I would hazard a guess that if you go to any bike shop you can get whatever brand they happen to have and it will be a good one. You basically only find junk in department stores.

  13. 87Trek said:

    Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone know if the Blackburn Air Tower 4 is any good?
    [IMG]blackburndesign.compop air tower 4.jpg[/IMG]


    it may well be..but it is far more expensive than the tp-2 (track pump whihc I own), which seems to do pretty much the same thing for a lot less cash

  14. rek said:

    That stupid friction-fit chuck thing was a bugger to get on and off the valve and it generally drove me insane.

    Threadless valves and dont put in on very far.

  15. octagon said:

    it may well be..but it is far more expensive than the tp-2 (track pump whihc I own), which seems to do pretty much the same thing for a lot less cash

    Most inexpensive pumps work well for mountain bikes and hybrids. I have a $19.00 Innovations pump that I used on my hybrid for years. The only problem with it is that the base and cylinder are plastic, and the junction between the base and cylinder flexes a lot as I approach 100 PSI. I am afraid to use it on my road bike for fear that the cylinder will snap off the base before I get to 125 PSI.

    I agree with everyone else, though, that dual heads, a cam lock, and a gauge are necessities, but many $19.00 pumps have those. If you need to go above 100 PSI, then a sturdy base and metal cylinder are necessary. Most $30 pumps have those. As you go up in price, what you get are pumps that will not rust (stainless steel or aluminum) and pumps that can be rebuilt easily as parts wear out.

  16. rayhuang said:

    My less than $50 Joe Blow pump with gauge and dual head is easy to attach, easy to detach (no loss of pressure), has a wide steel base, long hose and fills to >100psi fast.


    Yeah, my Topeak Joe Blow pump was great...except that I've had to replace various parts twice now within the first 2 years of use!

    Topeak has been quite accomodating, sending me these replacement parts free of charge...but still, enough is enough. I gave the Joe Blow to a friend who's a newbie cyclist, & I bought a Park PFP-2. That beast looks like it'll still be working after the apocalypse!

  17. 87Trek said:

    Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone know if the Blackburn Air Tower 4 is any good?
    [IMG]blackburndesign.compop air tower 4.jpg[/IMG]


    I have not had mine very long but I like it better than my Blackburn TP-4, for two reasons. I like the lever head better, because it is easier to use and not twist the valve stem. And it weighs way less than the TP-4, which I like because I always put it in my car trunk with my bike and gear.

  18. Thanks for all the help guys! :thumpup:
    I ended up buying the Blackburn Air Tower 4 for myself (getting shipped now). I also bought my dad the Topeak JoeBlow Pro from the local store. I used it and it is really nice. Gets up to 120 really easy. I will let you guys know how I like the AirTower.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.