General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Recommendation for new do-everything microwave oven

Started by Stan Horwitz · · Last activity · 16 posts · 498 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
29 March 2006
Last activity
30 March 2006
Original author
Stan Horwitz
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
498
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am looking to replace my nearly 20 year old Panasonic microwave oven
    and a four year old toaster oven. The toaster oven barely toasts any
    more. The microwave oven has some life left in it, but its really gotten
    weathered looking over the years, so I figured this would be a good time
    to replace it.

    I would also like to add functionality to my kitchen by getting a
    convection oven. My kitchen is not much bigger than a phone booth so I
    would love to get a model that offers all three features.

    A few weeks ago I saw a Sharp oven at Wal-Mart that is a convection oven
    and microwave oven built into the same unit. I am not sure, but I think
    it was the Sharp R930-CS model that I saw.

    I am wondering if the convection oven feature can be used to toast items
    such as english muffins and if Sharp is a brand worth considering. I
    have looked around at various stores in the Philadelphia area where I
    live, but I have not seen anything that fits this description, only at
    Wal-Mart. If anyone has any suggestions on a brand I should consider or
    feedback on Sharp's products, please let me know.

    Thanks,

    Stan

  2. Stan Horwitz said:

    I am looking to replace my nearly 20 year old Panasonic microwave oven
    and a four year old toaster oven. The toaster oven barely toasts any
    more. The microwave oven has some life left in it, but its really gotten
    weathered looking over the years, so I figured this would be a good time
    to replace it.

    I would also like to add functionality to my kitchen by getting a
    convection oven. My kitchen is not much bigger than a phone booth so I
    would love to get a model that offers all three features.

    A few weeks ago I saw a Sharp oven at Wal-Mart that is a convection oven
    and microwave oven built into the same unit. I am not sure, but I think
    it was the Sharp R930-CS model that I saw.

    I am wondering if the convection oven feature can be used to toast items
    such as english muffins and if Sharp is a brand worth considering. I
    have looked around at various stores in the Philadelphia area where I
    live, but I have not seen anything that fits this description, only at
    Wal-Mart. If anyone has any suggestions on a brand I should consider or
    feedback on Sharp's products, please let me know.

    Thanks,

    Stan

    Stan, our last mw was a Sharp Carosel. It wasn't convection just
    microwave. The first power outage blip - off on within seconds - took
    out some of the display lights. Over time this gradually got worse but
    not consistently. Sometimes most would work, then some would work, then
    none and back to most. It was most frustrating. This is a known
    problem with Sharp mw ovens so unless they've fixed that I would be
    leary. In general the Sharp was adequate as a mw since we don't use it
    for much anyway but could be pissy sometimes. My concern about the conv
    component of the model you are looking at would just add one more thing
    to go wrong. IIRC there are some reviews on epinions regarding Sharp
    mw. BTW we replaced our Sharp with a Kenmore heavy on the bells and
    wistles model but no convection. At the time we were shopping for ours,
    there were a couple others that offered convection so if you could find
    a review site comparing the different manufactures it would give you a
    better idea as to who is putting out the better and more dependable
    model. Off the top of my head I think some of the manufacturers are
    Emerson and Panasonic but there are likely others. Sam's Club and
    Costco both were selling the mw/cov combo so you might be able to find
    out more info on their websites.

  3. "Stan Horwitz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am looking to replace my nearly 20 year old Panasonic microwave oven
    and a four year old toaster oven. The toaster oven barely toasts any
    more. The microwave oven has some life left in it, but its really gotten
    weathered looking over the years, so I figured this would be a good time
    to replace it.

    I would also like to add functionality to my kitchen by getting a
    convection oven. My kitchen is not much bigger than a phone booth so I
    would love to get a model that offers all three features.

    A few weeks ago I saw a Sharp oven at Wal-Mart that is a convection oven
    and microwave oven built into the same unit. I am not sure, but I think
    it was the Sharp R930-CS model that I saw.

    I am wondering if the convection oven feature can be used to toast items
    such as english muffins and if Sharp is a brand worth considering. I
    have looked around at various stores in the Philadelphia area where I
    live, but I have not seen anything that fits this description, only at
    Wal-Mart. If anyone has any suggestions on a brand I should consider or
    feedback on Sharp's products, please let me know.

    Thanks,

    Stan

    I don't have the convection oven one, but I have the Sharp microwave that
    grills and bakes too (with infrared top and bottom.) It is excellent, does
    everything it is supposed to, you can set tasks to run consecutively with
    different functions. I rarely use my stove oven or broiler anymore.

    I've had it three years, never a problem.
    Lefty

    Life is for learning
    The worst I ever had was wonderful

  4. "Stan Horwitz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am looking to replace my nearly 20 year old Panasonic microwave oven
    and a four year old toaster oven. The toaster oven barely toasts any
    more. The microwave oven has some life left in it, but its really gotten
    weathered looking over the years, so I figured this would be a good time
    to replace it.

    I would also like to add functionality to my kitchen by getting a
    convection oven. My kitchen is not much bigger than a phone booth so I
    would love to get a model that offers all three features.

    I went shopping for microwaves recently. I was shocked to find models with
    built-in TOASTERS and built-in COFFEEMAKERS. I was wondering who the frick
    would want to buy such a monstrosity? And if it breaks, who would service
    it? But, since you asked . . .

    Sears sells a few models that are convection/microwaves and at least ONE
    model that is a toaster oven and microwave in one unit (but not convection).

    With toaster ovens costing about 20 bucks, I'd probably go for a new toaster
    oven and set it on top of a convection oven/microwave combo. That would be
    the best bang/buck that would still save space in your kitchen.

    If you could find one with all three, it would be wicked expensive, I
    believe. Oh, and I'm not even sure that puppy exists. -Dave

  5. "Mike T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Stan Horwitz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am looking to replace my nearly 20 year old Panasonic microwave oven
    and a four year old toaster oven. The toaster oven barely toasts any
    more. The microwave oven has some life left in it, but its really gotten
    weathered looking over the years, so I figured this would be a good time
    to replace it.

    I would also like to add functionality to my kitchen by getting a
    convection oven. My kitchen is not much bigger than a phone booth so I
    would love to get a model that offers all three features.

    I went shopping for microwaves recently. I was shocked to find models


    with

    Quoted message said:

    built-in TOASTERS and built-in COFFEEMAKERS. I was wondering who the


    frick

    Quoted message said:

    would want to buy such a monstrosity? And if it breaks, who would service
    it? But, since you asked . . .

    Sears sells a few models that are convection/microwaves and at least ONE
    model that is a toaster oven and microwave in one unit (but not


    convection).

    Quoted message said:


    With toaster ovens costing about 20 bucks, I'd probably go for a new


    toaster

    Quoted message said:

    oven and set it on top of a convection oven/microwave combo. That would


    be

    Quoted message said:

    the best bang/buck that would still save space in your kitchen.

    Quoted message said:


    If what you mean by "Toaster oven" is having infrared elements in the top
    and bottom, you might change your mind if you used one.

    Mine is a Mircro/Grill/Oven. These things are programmed as well as manual
    so a lot of tasks are just a button push, they grill chicken breasts etc.
    well, and they are the best thing for baking. Mine has a revolving
    pedestal --it revolves in any cooking mode --very even heat, up to 400°.
    You can set it for defrost (microwave) then program Bake to follow with all
    of the times and temperatures set --has a cooling cycle with a fan. It is
    insulated so that the exterior gets nowhere near as hot as a toaster oven
    does. I rarely use my stove oven anymore unless I am baking a lot at a time.

    Ones with convection probably don't have the grill function because mine
    shares the infrared heat source with the oven mode.
    --
    Lefty

    Life is for learning
    The worst I ever had was wonderful

    Quoted message said:


  6. "Stan Horwitz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am looking to replace my nearly 20 year old Panasonic microwave oven
    and a four year old toaster oven. The toaster oven barely toasts any
    more. The microwave oven has some life left in it, but its really gotten
    weathered looking over the years, so I figured this would be a good time
    to replace it.

    I would also like to add functionality to my kitchen by getting a
    convection oven. My kitchen is not much bigger than a phone booth so I
    would love to get a model that offers all three features.

    A few weeks ago I saw a Sharp oven at Wal-Mart that is a convection oven
    and microwave oven built into the same unit. I am not sure, but I think
    it was the Sharp R930-CS model that I saw.

    I am wondering if the convection oven feature can be used to toast items
    such as english muffins and if Sharp is a brand worth considering. I
    have looked around at various stores in the Philadelphia area where I
    live, but I have not seen anything that fits this description, only at
    Wal-Mart. If anyone has any suggestions on a brand I should consider or
    feedback on Sharp's products, please let me know.

    Thanks,

    Stan

    I have a Sharp micro/convection oven. I love it. I've had this one for at
    least 7 years and probably 8. I use the convection as much as the
    microwave. I've never tried it for toasting though.

    Ms P

  7. Stan Horwitz <[email hidden]> wrote in news:stan-93F04C.12294129032006
    @news.giganews.com:

    Quoted message said:

    I am looking to replace my nearly 20 year old Panasonic microwave oven
    and a four year old toaster oven. The toaster oven barely toasts any
    more. The microwave oven has some life left in it, but its really


    gotten

    Quoted message said:

    weathered looking over the years, so I figured this would be a good


    time

    Quoted message said:

    to replace it.

    I would also like to add functionality to my kitchen by getting a
    convection oven. My kitchen is not much bigger than a phone booth so I
    would love to get a model that offers all three features.

    A few weeks ago I saw a Sharp oven at Wal-Mart that is a convection


    oven

    Quoted message said:

    and microwave oven built into the same unit. I am not sure, but I think
    it was the Sharp R930-CS model that I saw.

    I am wondering if the convection oven feature can be used to toast


    items

    Quoted message said:

    such as english muffins and if Sharp is a brand worth considering. I
    have looked around at various stores in the Philadelphia area where I
    live, but I have not seen anything that fits this description, only at
    Wal-Mart. If anyone has any suggestions on a brand I should consider or
    feedback on Sharp's products, please let me know.

    We bought a Sharp microwave (non-convection) at work. It is wonderful.
    The sensor cooking works great. It senses steam from the item and then
    throttles the cooking. Food is cooked even. We bought the one recommended
    by Consumer Reports. You should also look at epinions.com

    Good luck on your search.

    --

    Charles
    The significant problems we face cannot be solved
    at the same level of thinking we were at when we
    created them. Albert Einstein

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mike T. said:

    "Stan Horwitz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am looking to replace my nearly 20 year old Panasonic microwave oven
    and a four year old toaster oven. The toaster oven barely toasts any
    more. The microwave oven has some life left in it, but its really gotten
    weathered looking over the years, so I figured this would be a good time
    to replace it.

    I would also like to add functionality to my kitchen by getting a
    convection oven. My kitchen is not much bigger than a phone booth so I
    would love to get a model that offers all three features.

    I went shopping for microwaves recently. I was shocked to find models with
    built-in TOASTERS and built-in COFFEEMAKERS. I was wondering who the frick
    would want to buy such a monstrosity? And if it breaks, who would service
    it? But, since you asked . . .

    Sears sells a few models that are convection/microwaves and at least ONE
    model that is a toaster oven and microwave in one unit (but not convection).

    With toaster ovens costing about 20 bucks, I'd probably go for a new toaster
    oven and set it on top of a convection oven/microwave combo. That would be
    the best bang/buck that would still save space in your kitchen.

    If you could find one with all three, it would be wicked expensive, I
    believe. Oh, and I'm not even sure that puppy exists. -Dave

    Yeh, all three features would be ideal. I am interested in a combined
    function oven because of a severe lack of counter space in my kitchen.
    Even putting a toaster oven on top of my microwave oven would not be an
    optimum situation for me because I prefer to keep other items there
    instead. If I have to chose between a microwave oven with a convection
    oven and a microwave oven with a toaster oven built-in, I will go with
    the toaster oven option.

    I will definitely check out Sears this weekend.

    Thanks for all the feedback.

  9. Stan Horwitz said:

    I am looking to replace my nearly 20 year old Panasonic microwave
    oven and a four year old toaster oven. The toaster oven barely
    toasts any more.

    What do you use the toaster oven for? I can see how those things
    would be useful for making hot, open-faced sandwiches, but it's
    never been clear to me what else, if anything, they're useful for.

    Why would one use a toaster oven instead of a conventional toaster
    for toasting English muffins (or any other sort of sliced bread)?

    Geoff

    --
    "All the boys think she's a spaz; she's got Betty Davis eyes"
    -- Kim Carnes

  10. Mike T. said:

    I went shopping for microwaves recently. I was shocked to find models
    with built-in TOASTERS and built-in COFFEEMAKERS. I was wondering who
    the frick would want to buy such a monstrosity? And if it breaks, who
    would service it? But, since you asked . . .

    Presumably the service center of the manufacturer would service it.
    Which, along with moving, is an excellent reason to save the cartons
    that appliances come in. (Is there such a thing as independent
    appliance-repair shops anymore?)

    I'm more curious about why anyone would want to buy such a thing. If,
    say, the toaster broke, you'd be out a coffeemaker and a microwave oven
    while the whole unit was in the shop.

    The same disadvantage applies to those small TVs with built-in VCRs, and
    othe "combined" appliances and gizmos. A friend of mine has one of those
    cell phones with a built-in PDA, the display of which broke when she
    dropped a heavy Cross pen onto it (point-down, of course) -- so she was
    lost the use of her cell phone while the PDA part was being repaired.
    It's much better to buy separate, dedicated applicances for that reason.

    Geoff

    --
    "All the boys think she's a spaz; she's got Betty Davis eyes"
    -- Kim Carnes

  11. Quoted message said:

    I went shopping for microwaves recently. I was shocked to find models with
    built-in TOASTERS and built-in COFFEEMAKERS. I was wondering who the frick
    would want to buy such a monstrosity?

    Probably those who like toast and coffee and don't want to take up
    additional counter or cabinet space.

  12. Wayne said:
    Quoted message said:

    Why would one use a toaster oven instead of a conventional toaster
    for toasting English muffins (or any other sort of sliced bread)?

    I like it for toasting bagels and oversized bread. Some breads that I
    toast would not fit in any toaster.

    Take one flour tortilla and liberally spread Nutella on it. Cover with
    another flour tortilla. Toast in toaster oven.

    Bob

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Geoff Miller) said:
    Stan Horwitz said:

    I am looking to replace my nearly 20 year old Panasonic microwave
    oven and a four year old toaster oven. The toaster oven barely
    toasts any more.

    What do you use the toaster oven for? I can see how those things
    would be useful for making hot, open-faced sandwiches, but it's
    never been clear to me what else, if anything, they're useful for.

    Why would one use a toaster oven instead of a conventional toaster
    for toasting English muffins (or any other sort of sliced bread)?

    I use my toaster oven all the time to toast sliced english muffins and
    to cook small items such as chicken pieces, lamb chops, etc. If I were
    to use a traditional toaster, it would take up yet more space, plus the
    crumbs from the bread would fall off easier and I would still need the
    other features that a toaster oven offers.

  14. On Thu 30 Mar 2006 09:17:51a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Geoff
    Miller?

    Quoted message said:
    Stan Horwitz said:

    I am looking to replace my nearly 20 year old Panasonic microwave
    oven and a four year old toaster oven. The toaster oven barely toasts
    any more.

    What do you use the toaster oven for? I can see how those things
    would be useful for making hot, open-faced sandwiches, but it's
    never been clear to me what else, if anything, they're useful for.

    I use the broiler feature for "grilling" hot dogs, thin pork chops, pounded
    chicken breasts, etc. It's faster and more convenient than my conventional
    oven broiler. It also makes a nice extra oven for small casseroles, etc.

    Quoted message said:

    Why would one use a toaster oven instead of a conventional toaster
    for toasting English muffins (or any other sort of sliced bread)?

    I like it for toasting bagels and oversized bread. Some breads that I
    toast would not fit in any toaster.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  15. Mike T. said:

    Oh, and I'm not even sure that puppy exists.

    Isn't there somewhere in the FAQ for r.f.cooking where it says that we
    are not supposed to use the words "puppy" or "kitty"?

    Quoted message said:

    -Dave

    --Bryan

  16. On Thu 30 Mar 2006 12:00:17p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Food Snob?

    Quoted message said:


    Mike T. said:

    Oh, and I'm not even sure that puppy exists.

    Isn't there somewhere in the FAQ for r.f.cooking where it says that we
    are not supposed to use the words "puppy" or "kitty"?

    Quoted message said:

    -Dave

    --Bryan

    It depends entirely on the cooking method.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.