Recommended service interval for Ultegra

Dirty Digger

Guest
I have a 2.5 year old Raceline Ultra Comp with full Ultegra groupset. I
didn't use it much for the first 2 years, clocking up a mighty c. 1500 km.
Its now done c 3000 km. What is the recommended service interval for
Ultegra? What are the service priorities?
Thanks
DD

Dirty Digger wrote:
> I have a 2.5 year old Raceline Ultra Comp with full Ultegra groupset.

> didn't use it much for the first 2 years, clocking up a mighty c.

1500 km.
> Its now done c 3000 km. What is the recommended service interval for
> Ultegra? What are the service priorities?
> Thanks
> DD

If it's shifting and braking properly, nothing. Maybe a new chain if
you feel like doing something or if you ride in lousy weather.

As far as going forward, there really aren't service intervals on this
stuff. Just replace brake pads, chain, cables, and cassettes when
worn.

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:37:06 -0800, eoweiss wrote:

> Dirty Digger wrote:
>> I have a 2.5 year old Raceline Ultra Comp with full Ultegra groupset.

>> didn't use it much for the first 2 years, clocking up a mighty c.

> 1500 km.
>> Its now done c 3000 km. What is the recommended service interval for
>> Ultegra? What are the service priorities?
>> Thanks
>> DD

> If it's shifting and braking properly, nothing. Maybe a new chain if
> you feel like doing something or if you ride in lousy weather.
>
> As far as going forward, there really aren't service intervals on this
> stuff. Just replace brake pads, chain, cables, and cassettes when
> worn.

I disagree. It is a good idea to re-pack cup&cone bearings on a
reasonable schedule. I like to do this each winter, when it's too snowy
to ride. I didn't get to it yet on my road bike, but will. I would also
recommend re-packing any other non-cartridge bearings, such as headset and
.... well, that's about it these days. I also replace cables annually.
The old ones may be OK, but it's a minimal-cost thing which can literally
save your butt. Breaking a brake cable on a downhill is not good.
Derailleur cables are more commonly broken, but at least less disasterous
when it happens.

Check chain wear more or less regularly, and replace when 12 links measure
12 1/16". That way cassettes and chainrings will last much longer.
Chains are cheaper. In between, clean and re-lube chain every 500 miles
or so, depending on riding conditions.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand
_`\(,_ | mathematics.
(_)/ (_) |

David L. Johnson wrote:
> It is a good idea to re-pack cup&cone bearings on a
> reasonable schedule. I like to do this each winter, when it's too

snowy
> to ride. I didn't get to it yet on my road bike, but will. I would

also
> recommend re-packing any other non-cartridge bearings, such as

headset and
> ... well, that's about it these days.

I don't see any reason to repack unless the grease has become
contaminated or the cones have spalled. I just inspect once or twice a
year. I rotate axles with fingers and check for roughness every time I
have a wheel out of the bike.

Quill stems and seatposts in steel frames should be pulled, cleaned and
re-greased at least a couple of times a year to prevent corrosion and
seizing.

> I also replace cables annually.
> The old ones may be OK, but it's a minimal-cost thing which can

literally
> save your butt. Breaking a brake cable on a downhill is not good.
> Derailleur cables are more commonly broken, but at least less

disasterous
> when it happens.

I've never broken a brake cable on any bike. Having 2 brakes, I don't
worry about it. I've broken derailer cables a couple of times, but it's
no big deal to tie them off in a middle gear to get home. Replacing the
last loop of cable housing at the rear derailer every year or two can
prevent sluggish shifting.

> Check chain wear more or less regularly, and replace when 12 links

measure
> 12 1/16". That way cassettes and chainrings will last much longer.
> Chains are cheaper. In between, clean and re-lube chain every 500

miles
> or so, depending on riding conditions.

The most important regular maintenance is to check parts like cranks
and stems for cracks. Every time you clean your bike you should look at
these areas carefully. Squeaks or clicks should not be ignored.

Dirty Digger wrote:
> I have a 2.5 year old Raceline Ultra Comp with full Ultegra groupset. I
> didn't use it much for the first 2 years, clocking up a mighty c. 1500 km.
> Its now done c 3000 km. What is the recommended service interval for
> Ultegra? What are the service priorities?
> Thanks
> DD

Ride it until the levers fail, buy Campagnolo ERGO and rear der...