Recommended service interval for Ultegra

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dirty Digger, Mar 28, 2005.

  1. Dirty Digger

    Dirty Digger Guest

    I have a 2.5 year old Raceline Ultra Comp with full Ultegra groupset. I
    didn't use it much for the first 2 years, clocking up a mighty c. 1500 km.
    Its now done c 3000 km. What is the recommended service interval for
    Ultegra? What are the service priorities?
    Thanks
    DD

    Tags:

  2. Dirty Digger wrote:
    > I have a 2.5 year old Raceline Ultra Comp with full Ultegra groupset.

    > didn't use it much for the first 2 years, clocking up a mighty c.

    1500 km.
    > Its now done c 3000 km. What is the recommended service interval for
    > Ultegra? What are the service priorities?
    > Thanks
    > DD

    If it's shifting and braking properly, nothing. Maybe a new chain if
    you feel like doing something or if you ride in lousy weather.

    As far as going forward, there really aren't service intervals on this
    stuff. Just replace brake pads, chain, cables, and cassettes when
    worn.

  3. On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:37:06 -0800, eoweiss wrote:

    > Dirty Digger wrote:
    >> I have a 2.5 year old Raceline Ultra Comp with full Ultegra groupset.

    >> didn't use it much for the first 2 years, clocking up a mighty c.

    > 1500 km.
    >> Its now done c 3000 km. What is the recommended service interval for
    >> Ultegra? What are the service priorities?
    >> Thanks
    >> DD

    > If it's shifting and braking properly, nothing. Maybe a new chain if
    > you feel like doing something or if you ride in lousy weather.
    >
    > As far as going forward, there really aren't service intervals on this
    > stuff. Just replace brake pads, chain, cables, and cassettes when
    > worn.

    I disagree. It is a good idea to re-pack cup&cone bearings on a
    reasonable schedule. I like to do this each winter, when it's too snowy
    to ride. I didn't get to it yet on my road bike, but will. I would also
    recommend re-packing any other non-cartridge bearings, such as headset and
    .... well, that's about it these days. I also replace cables annually.
    The old ones may be OK, but it's a minimal-cost thing which can literally
    save your butt. Breaking a brake cable on a downhill is not good.
    Derailleur cables are more commonly broken, but at least less disasterous
    when it happens.

    Check chain wear more or less regularly, and replace when 12 links measure
    12 1/16". That way cassettes and chainrings will last much longer.
    Chains are cheaper. In between, clean and re-lube chain every 500 miles
    or so, depending on riding conditions.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand
    _`\(,_ | mathematics.
    (_)/ (_) |

  4. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    David L. Johnson wrote:
    > It is a good idea to re-pack cup&cone bearings on a
    > reasonable schedule. I like to do this each winter, when it's too

    snowy
    > to ride. I didn't get to it yet on my road bike, but will. I would

    also
    > recommend re-packing any other non-cartridge bearings, such as

    headset and
    > ... well, that's about it these days.

    I don't see any reason to repack unless the grease has become
    contaminated or the cones have spalled. I just inspect once or twice a
    year. I rotate axles with fingers and check for roughness every time I
    have a wheel out of the bike.

    Quill stems and seatposts in steel frames should be pulled, cleaned and
    re-greased at least a couple of times a year to prevent corrosion and
    seizing.

    > I also replace cables annually.
    > The old ones may be OK, but it's a minimal-cost thing which can

    literally
    > save your butt. Breaking a brake cable on a downhill is not good.
    > Derailleur cables are more commonly broken, but at least less

    disasterous
    > when it happens.

    I've never broken a brake cable on any bike. Having 2 brakes, I don't
    worry about it. I've broken derailer cables a couple of times, but it's
    no big deal to tie them off in a middle gear to get home. Replacing the
    last loop of cable housing at the rear derailer every year or two can
    prevent sluggish shifting.

    > Check chain wear more or less regularly, and replace when 12 links

    measure
    > 12 1/16". That way cassettes and chainrings will last much longer.
    > Chains are cheaper. In between, clean and re-lube chain every 500

    miles
    > or so, depending on riding conditions.

    The most important regular maintenance is to check parts like cranks
    and stems for cracks. Every time you clean your bike you should look at
    these areas carefully. Squeaks or clicks should not be ignored.

  5. Dirty Digger wrote:
    > I have a 2.5 year old Raceline Ultra Comp with full Ultegra groupset. I
    > didn't use it much for the first 2 years, clocking up a mighty c. 1500 km.
    > Its now done c 3000 km. What is the recommended service interval for
    > Ultegra? What are the service priorities?
    > Thanks
    > DD

    Ride it until the levers fail, buy Campagnolo ERGO and rear der...