Recovery from C2C

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Volker Gringmuth, Jul 12, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    as I wrote some days ago, I'm going to follow Wainwright's footsteps
    another time in August together with a young fellow-walker, leaving
    Kirkby Stephen on Aug 3rd and arriving gloriously in Richmond on 5th in
    the early afternoon (I hope - I'm not too sure about his walking
    strength on longer routes yet, that's why I chose such a short and
    relatively easy section).

    My friend now suggested to spend our last day at the beach to recover
    from all the exciting miles left behind *g* ... good idea I think. This
    ought to be a not-yet-crowded camp site at the North Sea reachable from
    Richmond quickly by train and/or bus service, and not too far from
    Newcastle in order to catch our flight back on Sunday afternoon.

    On the other hand, it would be nice to have a pleasant bed-and-
    breakfast stay before leaving Britain again (much too soon, sigh) ...

    Any ideas/recommendations?

    vG

    --
    ~~~~~~ Volker Gringmuth ~~~~~~~~~~~ http://einklich.net/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Trockene Birkenrinde brennt auch in tropfnassem Zustand."
    (Jens in de.rec.outdoors)

    Tags:

  2. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:17:19 +0200, Volker Gringmuth
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My friend now suggested to spend our last day at the beach to recover
    >from all the exciting miles left behind *g* ... good idea I think. This
    >ought to be a not-yet-crowded camp site at the North Sea reachable from
    >Richmond quickly by train and/or bus service, and not too far from
    >Newcastle in order to catch our flight back on Sunday afternoon.
    >
    >On the other hand, it would be nice to have a pleasant bed-and-
    >breakfast stay before leaving Britain again (much too soon, sigh) ...
    >
    >Any ideas/recommendations?

    Hi there,

    I don't know about the beach, but I've stayed in Richmond twice now on
    the C2C.

    I see that Mrs Mary Pepper who used to run a brilliant B&B in Keld is
    now in Richmond at the Old Brewery Guesthouse (01748 822460). She's
    just about the kindest B&B hostess I've ever encountered, and
    certainly one of the best cooks. I've not seen the new B&B but I have
    no doubt that it's excellent. See also the reviews of C2C
    accommodation at
    http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/place.php3?place=Richmond&p=22&walk=coast2coast.
    It looks like she's pretty popular there too.

    There's a really wonderful restaurant in Richmond at the bottom of the
    hill in (I think it's called) Frenchgate. I can't remember the name,
    but it's obvious as you walk past - it's small and intimate, and the
    menu looks drooly. They're normally fully booked, but if you get in
    early you might just be lucky. The food is memorable.

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~