Recovery from C2C

Volker Gringmuth

Guest
Hi,

as I wrote some days ago, I'm going to follow Wainwright's footsteps
another time in August together with a young fellow-walker, leaving
Kirkby Stephen on Aug 3rd and arriving gloriously in Richmond on 5th in
the early afternoon (I hope - I'm not too sure about his walking
strength on longer routes yet, that's why I chose such a short and
relatively easy section).

My friend now suggested to spend our last day at the beach to recover
from all the exciting miles left behind *g* ... good idea I think. This
ought to be a not-yet-crowded camp site at the North Sea reachable from
Richmond quickly by train and/or bus service, and not too far from
Newcastle in order to catch our flight back on Sunday afternoon.

On the other hand, it would be nice to have a pleasant bed-and-
breakfast stay before leaving Britain again (much too soon, sigh) ...

Any ideas/recommendations?

vG

--
~~~~~~ Volker Gringmuth ~~~~~~~~~~~ http://einklich.net/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Trockene Birkenrinde brennt auch in tropfnassem Zustand."
(Jens in de.rec.outdoors)

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:17:19 +0200, Volker Gringmuth
<[email protected]> wrote:

>My friend now suggested to spend our last day at the beach to recover
>from all the exciting miles left behind *g* ... good idea I think. This
>ought to be a not-yet-crowded camp site at the North Sea reachable from
>Richmond quickly by train and/or bus service, and not too far from
>Newcastle in order to catch our flight back on Sunday afternoon.
>
>On the other hand, it would be nice to have a pleasant bed-and-
>breakfast stay before leaving Britain again (much too soon, sigh) ...
>
>Any ideas/recommendations?

Hi there,

I don't know about the beach, but I've stayed in Richmond twice now on
the C2C.

I see that Mrs Mary Pepper who used to run a brilliant B&B in Keld is
now in Richmond at the Old Brewery Guesthouse (01748 822460). She's
just about the kindest B&B hostess I've ever encountered, and
certainly one of the best cooks. I've not seen the new B&B but I have
no doubt that it's excellent. See also the reviews of C2C
accommodation at
http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/place.php3?place=Richmond&p=22&walk=coast2coast.
It looks like she's pretty popular there too.

There's a really wonderful restaurant in Richmond at the bottom of the
hill in (I think it's called) Frenchgate. I can't remember the name,
but it's obvious as you walk past - it's small and intimate, and the
menu looks drooly. They're normally fully booked, but if you get in
early you might just be lucky. The food is memorable.

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~