Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Recumbent Ride in Record Low Temp

Started by 32GO · · Last activity · 8 posts · 800 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
17 January 2007
Last activity
22 January 2007
Original author
32GO
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
800
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hey guys -

    Our local (Ventura County, California) recumbent cycling
    group has regular rides on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of
    each month, usually with about 15 to 30 cyclists showing
    up. I was caught a little off-guard last Saturday when
    one of the guys called to tell me he was going to go for
    a short jaunt the next day (on Sunday). He thought that
    I might be up for it, since I had missed the ride last
    weekend, with a cold that had me gasping for breath.

    I was, and I thought of another couple who were just
    bouncing back from losing her aging mother right after
    Christmas. They were in, and then our numbers quickly
    doubled, until we had a nice little group showing up for
    an impromptu ride.

    On a REALLY chilly morning in SoCal, as local records
    for low temps were dropping like low racers hitting a
    slick ice patch, ten of us got together for about a 25
    mile cruise from northeast Oxnard to Channel Islands
    Marina. I know that most of the folks in the central
    US would have been happy to trade places with us, but
    for us (spoiled!) SoCal sissies, it was COLD! The day
    was clear and bone dry, with crisp deep blue skies, and
    just enough wind gusting to get to you. As usual in this
    part of the world, some of us were a bit underdressed,
    expecting (or hoping) it would warm up as the sun got
    higher.

    My wife Kay and I brought coffee and donuts to the start,
    which helped warm our little bellies and brains, but it
    was too late for the biker who had driven the farthrest.
    He (or she - which and who will remain nameless, as long
    as the payment schedule is met) had loaded the bike on
    a roof rack, but drove off without the front wheel. A
    wheel off one of my MTBs worked, however, and away we
    all went.

    This was an interesting group - one of the few rides, or
    maybe the only ride, where we've had as many women as
    men. No speed records were set or even attempted. We just
    bumbled along chatting and enjoying a great crisp winter
    day out on the road.

    We had lunch at the Pirates restaurant, starting on the
    patio as usual, close to the bikes and trikes, but as the
    sun dropped below the main building west of the patio, we
    unanimously agreed to move inside. Fortunately, we didn't
    have to watch the entire episode of the Chargers being
    humbled.

    Anyway, bottom line, this was just another one of those
    happy little surprises that make me really appreciate
    where we live and the other cyclists that we are blessed
    to spend time with. Ten cyclists getting together for a
    spur-of-the-moment, pickup recumbent ride on the coldest
    weekend of the year? Can't happen too often in too many
    other places in the world...

    Regards,
    Wayne

  2. 32GO wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    On a REALLY chilly morning in SoCal, as local records
    for low temps were dropping like low racers hitting a
    slick ice patch, ten of us got together for about a 25
    mile cruise from northeast Oxnard to Channel Islands
    Marina.


    <snip>

    So, how cold was it?

    I've been riding (mostly solo, unfortunately) in temps ranging from mid
    20s F to low 40s F. (Of course, from a southwestern Pennsylvania
    perspective, this is practically shorts weather, as far as our typical
    January goes...)

    Biggest problem I've encountered has been poor core temperature
    control...specifically, overheating just enough to work up a good
    sweat, which then produces bone-chilling evaporative cold on the next
    descent. I've been working on my layering, but haven't found the right
    combination of garments that can be unzipped enough while exerting
    myself to prevent the sweat from building up. Wicking garments help a
    lot, but it's still a challenge.

    Best,

    Dan

  3. I don't know, but I have a hard time with "Record Low Temp" when talking
    about southern California! 😉

    Joao "world's tallest midget" de Souza

  4. Joao said:

    I don't know, but I have a hard time with "Record Low Temp" when talking
    about southern California! 😉

    Joao "world's tallest midget" de Souza

    Agree .... not that I was riding but the other morning -12F 'warmed'
    right up to 9F it did.....

    Don

  5. Joao said:

    I have a hard time with "Record Low Temp" when talking
    about southern California! 😉

    while Dan B wanted specifics:

    Quoted message said:

    So, how cold was it?

    Okay, okay... the temp was in the 40s (F) for most of
    our ride... but hey, it was a DRY cold... and there was
    the wind chill... okay, okay, I told you we're spoiled
    sissies. But I was a little 'pinged' to see folks show
    up with no advance notice even, about half as many as
    we usually get for a ride, even though we had rides
    scheduled for the (nicer) weekends just before and just
    after. Temps should be in the 60s for this Saturday.

    Regards,
    Wayne

  6. 32GO said:

    Okay, okay... the temp was in the 40s (F) for most of
    our ride... but hey, it was a DRY cold... and there was
    the wind chill...

    Ah, so you had to don the long sleeve shirts and windbreakers. Brave
    folks! :-)

    -- Robert, in the teens and twenties here the past couple of weeks

  7. Robert Stevahn said:

    Ah, so you had to don the long sleeve shirts...

    Yep, it was an excruciating experience! ;-)

    Yesterday's ride was scheduled rather than a last minute
    quicky, but I think the fact that it was about 20 to 25
    degrees warmer might have had more to do with the fact
    that we had almost 30 folks show up, including a couple
    from Korea on brand new Greenspeeds.

    Nice ride, but it did get a little chilly zooming down
    the Ventura River Trail from Ojai when we went under some
    high cloud cover. I'll have pix posted later this week at:

    http://www.vcrr.org/news.htm

    If any of you folks from colder climes are going to be
    in SoCal this winter, come ride with us if you get the
    chance. We can usually even scrounge up a loaner bike
    or trike for out-of-towners.

    Regards,
    Wayne

  8. 32GO said:

    If any of you folks from colder climes are going to be
    in SoCal this winter, come ride with us if you get the
    chance. We can usually even scrounge up a loaner bike
    or trike for out-of-towners.

    Regards,
    Wayne

    I get over to L.A. and San Diego from time to time so may take you up on that.

    --
    Three wheels good, two wheels ok

    www.catrike.co.uk

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.