UK and Europe · Public discussion

red light running

Started by p.k. · · Last activity · 48 posts · 1,884 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
19 March 2006
Last activity
23 March 2006
Original author
p.k.
Posts
48
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,884
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–48 of 48
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Tim Hall said:

    Spooky. Just after the start of the same Dunwich Dynamo, the Cheating
    Czech and I were stopped at some lights. The pizza delivery guy behind
    us assured us we didn't have to stop for the red while on bikes.

    Must be a Lunnon thing.

    As you're a C+ refugee, the "other two" were Naggers and GruB, btw; they
    may remember too.

  2. In article <441da7b5.0@entanet>, Zog The Undeniable (hrothgar19

    @yahoo.com) said:

    A true story: on the way to the start of the Dunwich Dynamo last year
    three of us stopped at a pelican crossing on Hackney Road. One of the
    peds - a big West Indian guy - was flabbergasted. "You don't have to
    stop at a red light if you're on a bike," he educated us, without a hint
    of irony.

    Another true story: on the way to the Nut Mines[1] this morning I
    overtook a lady dibble, upon her bicycle, outside Bishopsgate police
    station. A few hundred yards further down the road, the POB ahead of me
    rode smartly through not one, but two red lights. I was halted at the
    first of these, holding onto the railings as I have manifestly failed to
    learn how to perform anything remotely resembling a trackstand on the
    fixer, when Ms. Dibble squeezed between me and the taxi alongside and
    gave chase. It was rather like one of those reality TV cop shows in
    slow motion. Anyway, she caught up with the POB and visited some form
    of Long Arm Of The /La/ stylee justice upon his wretched head.

    I think I'm right in saying that I applauded (but later, when no-one was
    watching).

    1 - and what a nightmare 'twas, what with the Kingsland Road being
    closed so the fire brigade could cut up a motorcar and some numtpy truck
    driver parking outside the Market Porter in such a way that no other
    motor vehicles could negotiate the corner. I think they must have let
    them all out at once.

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    It is not possible to call a complex number from a phone box.

  3. "Of course, cyclist filter lights could be fitted in places were
    cyclists have their journey interupted for no reason other than to
    control motor traffic. For example at certain left turns and straight
    ahead at some T-junctions where traffic enters from the right. They
    already have such priorities in some of London's bus lanes."

    At the risk of getting my helmet torn off and lamped around the head, I've got to admit to going through red lights on a fairly frequent basis. I commute to work in a city, and there is a rat run through an estate i do which brings me out a junction which has lights but the minor road's lights I am on stays at red until triggered by a car I reckon, as I would be sat there all day if I didn't wait for a gap and go on red - safely. I do not consider myself a red light jumper as I only go through if I am sure there is nothing coming through opposing green lights or any pedestrians about, and if I wait for green at some really big junctions instead of getting a flyer when I know the lights are about to change, then I end up in the middle of the junction with cars coming from all directions at me. I also occasionnalyy turn left with a red light if I consider there is no danger to myself or other road users. There is a pedestrian crossing with lights on my way home on a long straight. If this goes red after a pedestrian has crossed and gone on his way, then i go through that. I quoted the above posting as i think that sort of thing needs changing, rather than having a go at every cyclist who goes through a red light. I have seen some people cycle through lights at what i consider a danger to themselves and other road users, and I'm sure some may think i do the same, but I'm not so sure and won't be signing as I think that that there are shades of grey and not everything can be seen in red and green terms.

  4. I doubt we'd get complaints about red light running in general if it were
    only the "stupid" lights that were crossed. It's the idiots that blatently
    blast through the peds and other traffic on red that draw attention to the
    victimless lawbreaking practised by others and make it hard to turn a blind
    eye.

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,
    Chris Armstrong ([email hidden])

    Quoted message said:

    At the risk of getting my helmet torn off and lamped around the head,
    I've got to admit to going through red lights on a fairly frequent
    basis. I commute to work in a city, and there is a rat run through an
    estate i do which brings me out a junction which has lights but the
    minor road's lights I am on stays at red until triggered by a car I
    reckon, as I would be sat there all day if I didn't wait for a gap and
    go on red - safely.

    I think it may be the case that it /is/ permissible to proceed with
    caution through a red light if it is obviously not working properly.
    And a traffic light incapable of sensing the presence of a bicycle is
    clearly NOT working properly.

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    There ought to be a /La/ against it.

  6. Chris Armstrong said:

    estate i do which brings me out a junction which has lights but the
    minor road's lights I am on stays at red until triggered by a car I
    reckon, as I would be sat there all day if I didn't wait for a gap and
    go on red - safely.

    You reckon? Well, does it or doesn't it? If it /is/ only triggered by
    a car and not your bike (appropriately positioned), then it is defective
    and you may treat it as a stop sign - and you should inform the
    appropriate authorities. If you're just using this as an excuse, then
    stop it.

    Quoted message said:

    I do not consider myself a red light jumper as I
    only go through if I am sure there is nothing coming through opposing
    green lights or any pedestrians about,

    What you consider yourself is immaterial. You ARE a red light jumper.

    Quoted message said:

    and if I wait for green at some
    really big junctions instead of getting a flyer when I know the lights
    are about to change, then I end up in the middle of the junction with
    cars coming from all directions at me.

    In which case you either need to control the other traffic (reading
    Franklin helps, here), or avoid the junction if it bothers you that
    much, or make representations to the authorities to improve the junction
    in some way.

    The problem is not so much your personal safety, or the personal safety
    of any pedestrians about who you may or may not see, but the fact that
    you are antagonising motorists who take out their antagonism on other
    cyclists (which includes me).

    You are an ambassador for cycling, every time you're on a bike, and by
    acting in such a publicly cavalier attitude towards laws that don't suit
    you, you lower the standing of all the other cyclists, and cyclists'
    groups, in the eyes of the powers that be. That means that when either
    individual cyclists or groups make representations to improve some
    aspect of cycling, they are given much less weight, and thus the chance
    of improving matters is made much harder, or even impossible - and due
    in part to your attitude.

    Quoted message said:

    I quoted the above
    posting [snipped by me - R.] as i think that sort of thing needs changing,

    And as I've just pointed out, you've made no attempt yourself to change
    it, and have made things very much harder for other people to get things
    changed.

    And, and this is what makes me particularly annoyed, you're not even
    doing it for any great personal benefit; the time saved is minimal, and
    any safety benefit is marginal.

    R.

  7. Richard said:

    And as I've just pointed out, you've made no attempt yourself to change it, and have made things very much harder for other people to get things changed.

    Well I knew I was laying myself open, but I have pointed out these problems to the council and I didn't get a reply, what else would you suggest (genuine question, not meant to be sarcastic).

  8. Chris Armstrong said:

    Well I knew I was laying myself open, but I have pointed out these
    problems to the council and I didn't get a reply, what else would you
    suggest (genuine question, not meant to be sarcastic).

    Join the local cycle action group (or form one, if there isn't). Many
    cycle action groups already have contacts in the council, and know the
    best forms of leverage (from long and bitter experience). Write to your
    local councillors and MP. In all correspondance, keep it concise and
    clear, quote references, and suggest a solution (or you'll get some
    numpty suggesting a solution for you). Pick your timing carefully - eg
    in the run up to local elections, at the beginning of the financial year.

    R.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.