General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Refrigerator space

Started by Michael · · Last activity · 80 posts · 559 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
24 July 2007
Last activity
29 July 2007
Original author
Michael
Posts
80
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
559
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–80 of 80
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Dee Dee said:


    "Default User" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Default User" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > I got one of those lime squeezer deals at the Mexican grocery
    > store, it works well for chugging through a bag of them. It can
    > handle Persian limes and the small lemons as well.

    Quoted message said:

    Will it handle KEY limes?

    Isn't that what I said? Note the references to "bag" and later to
    Persian limes.

    Quoted message said:

    Did you miss the key word, KEY? You know, the shape of a key that
    goes into a lock? Will it handle that shape of limes?

    Har.

    Brian
    --
    If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
    won't shut up.
    -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

  2. Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Default User said:
    Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Default User" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > I got one of those lime squeezer deals at the Mexican grocery
    > store, it works well for chugging through a bag of them. It can
    > handle Persian limes and the small lemons as well.

    Quoted message said:

    Will it handle KEY limes?

    Isn't that what I said? Note the references to "bag" and later to
    Persian limes.

    Quoted message said:

    Okay, thanks!
    Pardon me, but I did not associate persian limes with key limes.
    Please forgive my ignorance.

    Persian limes are the standard larger limes.

    But yes, the squeezer works well for the small Mexican or "Key" limes.
    If you aren't familiar with them, they look like this:

    <http://www.acemart.com/graphics/00000001/products/BSTB185.jpg>

    Brian

    --
    If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
    won't shut up.
    -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Default User said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Isn't that what I said? Note the references to "bag" and later to
    Persian limes.

    Quoted message said:

    Okay, thanks!
    Pardon me, but I did not associate persian limes with key limes.
    Please forgive my ignorance.

    Persian limes are the standard larger limes.

    But yes, the squeezer works well for the small Mexican or "Key" limes.
    If you aren't familiar with them, they look like this:

    <http://www.acemart.com/graphics/00000001/products/BSTB185.jpg>

    Brian

    Thanks. That was more helpful, but I'm worried about the diameter.
    Might still work.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  4. Sheldon said:

    I'm very busy processing those limes I bought, and processing, and
    processing, and processing... and trying to decide what to have for
    dinner, and enjoying my freshly mowed lawn, and my babies are enjoying
    the view too... and I bet I know which they want for dinner.

    Limes are easy to process, not quite sure how to incorporate the
    pretty peaches, probably just dive in and much au jus:
    http://i17.tinypic.com/5yvrdr9.jpg

    A colorful "summer medley"...

    Quoted message said:

    Eeny, meany, miney, mo.. which one, which one... I curios about those
    brats (seen em advertized on tv like crazy so I broke down), but I
    know which my babies want, brats can wait until Saturday.... bought
    those two beauties today, never frozen:


    http://i10.tinypic.com/4ts7wj8.jpg

    Quoted message said:

    You'll like the brats I think, I have a pack of them in my freezer as a
    matter 'o fact...

    Quoted message said:

    My basbies got the life, I bust my ass twelve hours in 90 deg sun
    mowing and all they do is count passing hummingbirds in 68 deg central
    air, the two boys, Blackie and Jack:
    http://i11.tinypic.com/5z56crn.jpg

    Beautiful lawn, so nice and neat...and I always enjoy your kitty pics.

    --
    Best
    Greg

    "I am smarter than you think I am"
    - Maryanne "Loafhead" Kehoe to me
    in alt.gossip.celebrities

  5. Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Default User said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Isn't that what I said? Note the references to "bag" and later
    > to Persian limes.

    Quoted message said:

    Okay, thanks!
    Pardon me, but I did not associate persian limes with key limes.
    Please forgive my ignorance.

    Persian limes are the standard larger limes.

    But yes, the squeezer works well for the small Mexican or "Key"
    limes. If you aren't familiar with them, they look like this:

    <http://www.acemart.com/graphics/00000001/products/BSTB185.jpg>

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks. That was more helpful, but I'm worried about the diameter.
    Might still work.

    Well, as I've used it for that purpose, yes it does.

    Brian

    --
    If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
    won't shut up.
    -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

  6. Gregory Morrow said:
    Sheldon said:

    I'm very busy processing those limes I bought, and processing, and
    processing, and processing... and trying to decide what to have for
    dinner, and enjoying my freshly mowed lawn, and my babies are enjoying
    the view too... and I bet I know which they want for dinner.

    Quoted message said:

    Limes are easy to process, not quite sure how to incorporate the
    pretty peaches, probably just dive in and much au jus:
    http://i17.tinypic.com/5yvrdr9.jpg

    A colorful "summer medley"...

    Quoted message said:

    Eeny, meany, miney, mo.. which one, which one... I curios about those
    brats (seen em advertized on tv like crazy so I broke down), but I
    know which my babies want, brats can wait until Saturday.... bought
    those two beauties today, never frozen:

    http://i10.tinypic.com/4ts7wj8.jpg

    You'll like the brats I think, I have a pack of them in my freezer as a
    matter 'o fact...

    Quoted message said:

    My basbies got the life, I bust my ass twelve hours in 90 deg sun
    mowing and all they do is count passing hummingbirds in 68 deg central
    air, the two boys, Blackie and Jack:
    http://i11.tinypic.com/5z56crn.jpg

    Beautiful lawn, so nice and neat...and I always enjoy your kitty pics.

    Here's a better view:
    http://i14.tinypic.com/5zlwiu9.jpg

    Front lawn too:
    http://i14.tinypic.com/6ga4vwj.jpg

    Everyone asks how my red maple grows with such a nice even bottom...
    it's called the deer browse clip:
    http://i11.tinypic.com/4tawxtf.jpg

    A couple weeks ago I looked outside and noticed something creeping
    across my back lawn: http://i19.tinypic.com/5xsl312.jpg

    A rather large snapping turtle: http://i10.tinypic.com/54lqy35.jpg

    You know that Capital One TV ad where the dragon slayer meets the
    King's daughter... notice the resemblance... both daughter and Ms
    Snapper remind me of Cyberwhozitz:
    http://i13.tinypic.com/67wycug.jpg

    Sheldon

  7. Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:
    Quoted message said:

    Kitties look relaxed... but is that a peeping tom tool I see in that
    doorway? ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    Sure is, and pretty high powered, only as you can plainly see there
    are no windows to peep into. :-( But with that scoop I can see a
    robin pull a worm from the ground at 1000 yards up close and personal
    like it's in my dinner plate.

    Sounds like fun. :-) Should be cool during moon eclipses too.

    Be neat if you could attach a camera to it.

    I can. I even have the adapter that fits my last camera, but doesn't
    fit my new camera. But it was kinda tricky focusing at so high a
    magnification (20-60X 80mm). My new camera's tele goes to 15 X, does
    a pretty good job without the scope.

    Sheldon

  8. Melba's Jammin said:
    (Victor Sack) said:


    Shame on you! Mustard loses its bite very, very fast if not
    refrigerated.

    I do keep ONE kind of mustard refrigerated, Bubba. Some great
    Dusselddorfer stuff. Tasty.

    All mustards need to be kept refrigerated.

    Bubba

  9. Sheldon said:


    Everyone asks how my red maple grows with such a nice even bottom...
    it's called the deer browse clip:
    http://i11.tinypic.com/4tawxtf.jpg

    Yes, I've pointed out to friends how all of the
    different species of trees around here have
    bottoms at exactly the same height. It's
    remarkable the first time you notice it.
    I give them a little while to think about it,
    then tell them about the deer.

    Right away, you can see which trees aren't
    touched by the deer, because they are the
    exceptions to the rule.

  10. Nancy2 said:

    On Jul 24, 9:43 am, "Michael" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'd like to make some room in my 'frig and it would seem to me that some of
    the following would be fine stored at room temperature....

    all vinegars? ( I have the basic ones plus balsamic and rice vinegar also)

    Quoted message said:

    My g'mama stored open jars of chocolate sauce, jams, jellies, mustard
    and ketchup without refrigeration. I refrigerate everything that says
    to do so "after opening" -this includes pickles and ReaLemon, and all
    jams and jellies.

    Vinegar? Never in the fridge - same for W'shire sauce, soy sauce,
    Tabasco, wine vinegar, cooking sherry, etc. I don't know what those
    other things are you listed.

    Brown rice vinegar (the pricey stuff) keeps its flavor better
    refrigerated. Sometimes it will say this on the botrtle. Normal
    clear rice vinegar, or any other vinegar I can think of, it
    does not make any difference.

    Steve

  11. Victor Sack said:


    Melba's Jammin said:
    (Victor Sack) said:


    Shame on you! Mustard loses its bite very, very fast if not
    refrigerated.

    I do keep ONE kind of mustard refrigerated, Bubba. Some great
    Dusselddorfer stuff. Tasty.

    All mustards need to be kept refrigerated.

    I keep my mustard refrigerated, but when I opened
    a new jar of the same brand as the old jar (Trader
    Joe's dijon mustard), I noticed the bite was much
    greater in the new jar. I use rather a lot of
    mustard (especially since discovering the frozen
    Australian range-fed ribeye steaks at Trader Joe's).

    I'm coming around to the idea that mustard should
    be replaced at regular intervals, no matter how
    much you use. A few pennies worth of mustard
    greatly enhances a $4-$5 steak that has been
    pan-seared, chilled, and cut into thin slices.
    It's a false economy to use less than the best
    mustard.

    I'm almost to the point of saying a new jar
    should be opened each time. If I adopted that
    strategy, I would be throwing away about 7 jars
    per week.

    Perhaps there's an alternative? The chemical
    responsible for the bite is allyl isothiocyanate,
    which has a melting point of -80C. It's not going
    to freeze in my freezer, so I'm not sure it would
    extend the life of the mustard by freezing it in
    something like an ice cube tray. I think it
    would continue to evaporate, and that freezing
    would be futile. Plus, it would contaminate
    all that chocolate I keep in my freezer.

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Default User said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <http://www.acemart.com/graphics/00000001/products/BSTB185.jpg>

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks. That was more helpful, but I'm worried about the diameter.
    Might still work.

    Well, as I've used it for that purpose, yes it does.

    Brian

    Now I just have to find one. :-) Looks really handy.

    I still just have a cone shape type with the ridges to filter out seeds
    and my fingers provide the upper "squeezing" action.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:

    A rather large snapping turtle: http://i10.tinypic.com/54lqy35.jpg

    That is a BIG snapper! You have to watch out for those. I've removed
    ones like that from the road and tossed them in the river.

    Their necks are damned near as long as the shell so they can hurt you
    badly if you are not careful. ;-)

    I've heard they are very edible, but have never been able to bring
    myself to kill a healthy turtle...
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:
    Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:

    > Kitties look relaxed... but is that a peeping tom tool I see in that
    > doorway? ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    Sure is, and pretty high powered, only as you can plainly see there
    are no windows to peep into. :-( But with that scoop I can see a
    robin pull a worm from the ground at 1000 yards up close and personal
    like it's in my dinner plate.

    Sounds like fun. :-) Should be cool during moon eclipses too.

    Be neat if you could attach a camera to it.

    I can. I even have the adapter that fits my last camera, but doesn't
    fit my new camera. But it was kinda tricky focusing at so high a
    magnification (20-60X 80mm). My new camera's tele goes to 15 X, does
    a pretty good job without the scope.

    Sheldon

    I await your pics. <G>
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Victor Sack) said:
    Melba's Jammin said:
    (Victor Sack) said:


    Shame on you! Mustard loses its bite very, very fast if not
    refrigerated.

    I do keep ONE kind of mustard refrigerated, Bubba. Some great
    Dusselddorfer stuff. Tasty.

    All mustards need to be kept refrigerated.

    Bubba

    I do.

    That's what door space is for. Condiments.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  16. Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:

    A rather large snapping turtle: http://i10.tinypic.com/54lqy35.jpg

    That is a BIG snapper! You have to watch out for those. I've removed
    ones like that from the road and tossed them in the river.

    Their necks are damned near as long as the shell so they can hurt you
    badly if you are not careful. ;-)

    I've heard they are very edible, but have never been able to bring
    myself to kill a healthy turtle...

    You got really lucky picking up a snapping turtle that you didn't lose
    a part of your anatomy... there is a specail way to handle them and
    even then they can get you.

  17. Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:
    Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Sheldon <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > > Kitties look relaxed... but is that a peeping tom tool I see in that
    > > doorway? ;-)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Sure is, and pretty high powered, only as you can plainly see there
    > are no windows to peep into. :-( But with that scoop I can see a
    > robin pull a worm from the ground at 1000 yards up close and personal
    > like it's in my dinner plate.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Sounds like fun. :-) Should be cool during moon eclipses too.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Be neat if you could attach a camera to it.

    Quoted message said:

    I can. I even have the adapter that fits my last camera, but doesn't
    fit my new camera. But it was kinda tricky focusing at so high a
    magnification (20-60X 80mm). My new camera's tele goes to 15 X, does
    a pretty good job without the scope.

    Quoted message said:

    Sheldon

    I await your pics. <G>

    I've been posting pics taken with my new Olympus

  18. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:
    Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:

    A rather large snapping turtle: http://i10.tinypic.com/54lqy35.jpg

    That is a BIG snapper! You have to watch out for those. I've removed
    ones like that from the road and tossed them in the river.

    Their necks are damned near as long as the shell so they can hurt you
    badly if you are not careful. ;-)

    I've heard they are very edible, but have never been able to bring
    myself to kill a healthy turtle...

    You got really lucky picking up a snapping turtle that you didn't lose
    a part of your anatomy... there is a specail way to handle them and
    even then they can get you.

    Pick them up by the tail and hold at arms length.

    I'm well aware of how dangerous they are! Believe me. <G>
    Same for soft shell turtles.

    Safest way is using a shovel and a 5 gallon bucket.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  19. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:

    I've been posting pics taken with my new Olympus

    I did not know it was using the telescope!
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  20. Mark Thorson said:

    I'm coming around to the idea that mustard should
    be replaced at regular intervals, no matter how
    much you use.

    I buy small jars or small tubes. Tubes are better because air can be
    squeezed out of them, helping a bit.

    Victor

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.