refurbishing a bike anyone?

rudeboymcc

Mar 8, 2003
hi. i've got an old bike (about 5 years old) and basically i don't have nay money to buy a new bike. this bike works but it's in need of a thorough cleaning and just a general take it all apart and put it back together sort of thing.

just wondering if anyone's ever done this before and how and wehre should i start? any problems i should be aware of? how do you take the pedals off?

also, just a small question. is it possible to spray paint a bike myself? the paint on it is pretty poor, but if i'm taking it apart, i may as well sand it down, prime it, and give it a coat or three of good quality car paint. will it work??

I've just finished restoring a 30 year old kids bike. Stripped the frame back to bare metal (with paint stripper), two coats of primer, four of automotive gloss, and three of clear (all using spray cans).

The finish is sensational - better than most new kids bikes.

As a side point, the quality of the components far exceeds the **** on modern kids bikes. The rear hub internals were in virtually new condition and just needed regreasing.

A word of advice though - keep track of things as they are dismantled. Not much fun when you put everything back together and find you have one ball race left over...

when you say paint stripper what do you mean? the thing builders use to scrape paint off doors etc or a chemical one?

sounds like just what i need. it costs £100 or more to change a bike's paint professionally and i know i can do a good job (done similar things before) but it's my only bike and i;m worried something will go wrong.

if i do paint it it will look SOOOO good. all black, with black diore rear mech and black pedals/arms/seat/tyres. haven't found a black chain or rear freewheel yet. but the chrome will look nice.

cheap paint stripper from the hardware store, with a 50 cent brush. Just make sure you neutralise it when you have finished (washing the frame well with hot soapy water will do it).

The complete cost for mine (including stripper, paint and pinstripes) was less than A$30.

rudeboymcc said:
that's pretty cheap. cool. i'll do it when i have time after my exams.

thanks.
:eek: CAUTION: what is your frame material? Many hardware store strippers
can damage an aluminum or composite frame. Likewise, many primers satis-
factory on steel do not bond well with oher materials.
And try stripping and painting something else first for practice.
And if you buy auto paint (not the spray bomb type) it will cost you
about $60 US and will require special equipment and definitely safety
precautions. Many excellent books available at your library will help.
Make your effort worthwhile by using professional quality materials
available from an auto paint supply shop. If it has wheels or wings
I've painted it and we all start from the beginning.

Good Luck to you.

V/R
FD

To take off the pedals, you'll just need a wrench. On the stem that comes from the pedal, there is the part that is able to spin with your rotations and another directly attached to it which screws into the part that goes to the gears. Get the wrench on the one closest to the bike and loosen it, and it should come off fairly easily.

I think you should get a book if you don't know how to take off pedals. You can ruin stuff. Putting the wheel bearings back in after the repack for example, or the right way to put together a threadless headset, is critical. Go to the library if you're tapped.

You don't have to strip a frame to do a good job painting; just rough it up with some 220 grit and be fanatical with the degreasing step. Unless you've waxed your paint with silicone. Also, sand the edges of existing chips so you don't see their outline when you're done and...doesn't matter what the can says, wait a week at least before you do anything with the frame; longer if it's cold.

Fritodog said:
:eek: CAUTION: what is your frame material? Many hardware store strippers
can damage an aluminum or composite frame. Likewise, many primers satis-
factory on steel do not bond well with oher materials.
And try stripping and painting something else first for practice.
And if you buy auto paint (not the spray bomb type) it will cost you
about $60 US and will require special equipment and definitely safety
precautions. Many excellent books available at your library will help.
Make your effort worthwhile by using professional quality materials
available from an auto paint supply shop. If it has wheels or wings
I've painted it and we all start from the beginning.

Good Luck to you.

V/R
FD
You sound like the type who has done this many times before!:D

I have painted a GT with an enamel paint and I am wondering if it is okay to put a lacquer clear coat over the top of the enamel. Will it ruin the painting i have done?