dtaffe said:And yet his athletes continue to compete at very high levels in cycling, triathlon, including national and international-level championships... Are you saying they win despite his coaching and that he deserves no part of the credit?
I'd just say that he's wrong on a few points, or that he intentionally fails to publish 100% accurate information in his books to better serve his top clients.
Quoted post said:I was at the US Olympic training center last spring and watched the women's cycling team putting up impressive weights, under the guidance of their coaches... I've seen film clips of US Postal working out in the gym as a team...
Do you want a medal?
Quoted post said:Are you saying that all these high-level, successful athletes and coaches are wrong, and you are right?
That is what he's saying, yes. And he's right. Ric is a high level, successful coach of high level, successful athletes. Are you saying that he is wrong? Why, by the way, would you think that the athletes have a good understanding of this?
Quoted post said:I don't get it.
Clearly.
Quoted post said:From my own N-of-1 study, a focused, correctly-timed weight program made a big difference in my cycling (and I had been cycling for 15 years prior to that.)
You must have been so weak that you were verging on functionally disabled. Or you are a trackie and thus are force limited. Or the other adjustments you made to your training benefited you. (Hang on, there's no control of variables at all in an N=1 'study' - that's why they are a load of horse [censored]).
Quoted post said:But my original point is that this argument doesn't serve the original poster at all. He wants to know how to get faster, and I saw nothing in your posts that would serve him well. I was simply trying to give him concrete advice that would contain enough specifics to help him build a periodized and focused training plan.
Yes, a periodised and focused training plan will help him. Getting a coach will ultimately provide a better return than buying a book, even if it's more expensive absolutely.
Quoted post said:But since you've stirred me up, I'm curious:
1. You repeatedly describe "endurance cycling." Do you separate this from traditional racing? Ie crits, road races? Are you limiting your discussion to training for Brevits and other ultradistance rides, or do you include these shorter efforts as well. Because a 40 minute crit involves *much* more than endurance: power, anaerobic endurance, rapid recovery are big players. When you describe endurance, are you focusing this on muscular endurance, aerobic endurance, the ability to endure high lactate levels for long periods? A rider who gets dropped during an anaerobic tempo period is not failing due to lack of muscular endurance, but due to his inability to clear lactate or to tolerate the high lactate as do the other riders.
Endurance cycling is any event over about 2-4 minutes. Could you define muscular endurance for me please? No one else can...
Actually, why not provide a physiological/scientific definition of all the terms you have used: power, anaerobic endurance, rapid recovery, muscular endurance, anaerobic tempo?
Quoted post said:2. You have said that "strength" is not a limiter. What do you mean by strength? Do you mean force? Do you mean muscular endurance? Do you mean mental strength? This is a very imprecise term and is too open to interpretation to be the basis of much discussion. If you mean force, then absolutely it can be a limiter.
Strength = the maximum force that can be generated by a muscle.
Quoted post said:I can hang with a pack all day long on level ground or small rollers- there is no problem with my endurance. But when the hills get steep (even if they are short), and the leaders accelerate, I can not accelerate as well as they do, no because I tire, but because I can't generate enough force.
Gear down. What? You're still not with them? Here, borrow my triple... hang on, you've been dropped again! Your limiter is the ability to produce power over different periods of time, which is in turn limited by various elements of aerobic and anaerobic metabolism. Strength is only a limiter in very short events, especially those from a standing start.
How long are the hills by the way? The short ones, say?
Quoted post said:This can be in the first 15 minutes of a ride or at the end of a century. Remember high school physics? Force = mass x acceleration?
Remember high school physics?
Power=energy/time. Work=forceXdistance.
Therefore:
Power= ForceXDistance/Time.
And:
Distance/Time=Speed.
So Power= (leg)SpeedXForce
BUT If you do the maths, you will find that even at the power you can't maintain on short hills, and even at a leg speed of 60RPM, the force requirement will be significantly smaller than your 'strength' (maximal force).
Quoted post said:Yeah, yeah, I know, all this garbage about cadence and using gearing prevents force from being the limiter, but when the hills get steep, and I am in my 39-25, grinding a 60-70 rpm cadence, it is my inability to apply more force to the pedal that prevents me from accelerating. I am not arguing (at this moment) about whether weights or on-the-bike force workouts are the best way to improve force, but you have stated that it is definatively never a limiter, and that's just not true.
Sustaining force production has nothing to do with strength.