UK and Europe · Public discussion

Rejoining a SRAM Chain -- Which tools required?

Started by Peter B · · Last activity · 17 posts · 778 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
11 April 2006
Last activity
12 April 2006
Original author
Peter B
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
778
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Simon Bennett" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I had a chain (SRAM PC-951) fall down between the inner chainring and the


    bb

    Quoted message said:

    shell. Unfortunately this broke one of the links. I took the chain down to


    a

    Quoted message said:

    LBS and he proceeded to break the chain to remove the link and was then
    unable to join it together. As I need the bike running tomorrow, I had to
    buy a new chain. I knew something was wrong when I saw him take out a
    bog-standard chain tool to do the job; I have one of these and if it was
    that easy, I'd have done it myself!

    So, I now have a relatively new chain in two pieces -- which tool is
    required to fix them together properly? I could take the pieces to another
    bike shop, but I'd like to know what he should be doing to do the job
    properly. I also have several bits of the same model chain hanging around
    (from shortening when new) and could join them to make one useful chain if


    I

    Quoted message said:

    had a tool of my own.

    I'd just buy two SRAM Powerlinks to rejoin it. That way it retains its
    original length and can be easily split for cleaning or removal if it jams
    again.

    99 pence each from www.wiggle.co.uk/ or www.chainreactioncycles.com
    LBS's & Halfords Bikehuts usually sell them.

    Pete

  2. "Peter B" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'd just buy two SRAM Powerlinks to rejoin it. That way it retains its
    original length and can be easily split for cleaning or removal if it jams
    again.

    99 pence each from www.wiggle.co.uk/ or www.chainreactioncycles.com
    LBS's & Halfords Bikehuts usually sell them.

    Pete


    www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=871 to see a picture.

  3. I had a chain (SRAM PC-951) fall down between the inner chainring and the bb
    shell. Unfortunately this broke one of the links. I took the chain down to a
    LBS and he proceeded to break the chain to remove the link and was then
    unable to join it together. As I need the bike running tomorrow, I had to
    buy a new chain. I knew something was wrong when I saw him take out a
    bog-standard chain tool to do the job; I have one of these and if it was
    that easy, I'd have done it myself!

    So, I now have a relatively new chain in two pieces -- which tool is
    required to fix them together properly? I could take the pieces to another
    bike shop, but I'd like to know what he should be doing to do the job
    properly. I also have several bits of the same model chain hanging around
    (from shortening when new) and could join them to make one useful chain if I
    had a tool of my own.

  4. Simon Bennett said:

    I had a chain (SRAM PC-951) fall down between the inner chainring and
    the bb shell. Unfortunately this broke one of the links. I took the
    chain down to a LBS and he proceeded to break the chain to remove the
    link and was then unable to join it together.

    Why not? SRAM pins are tight but still it's possible to join the chains
    in the conventional way. And I would expect a good shop to have
    Powerlinks anyway......

    Quoted message said:

    As I need the bike
    running tomorrow, I had to buy a new chain. I knew something was
    wrong when I saw him take out a bog-standard chain tool to do the
    job; I have one of these and if it was that easy, I'd have done it
    myself!

    So, I now have a relatively new chain in two pieces -- which tool is
    required to fix them together properly?

    Bog-standard chain tool to break, and preferably SRAM Powerlink to join.
    You can use as many Powerlinks as you like in a chain. See www.sram.com
    and Google if you're not familiar with these special links.

    Quoted message said:

    I could take the pieces to
    another bike shop,

    Don't go back to the first bike shop. If they can't fix a chain, they
    can't be trusted for anything.

    Quoted message said:

    but I'd like to know what he should be doing to do
    the job properly. I also have several bits of the same model chain
    hanging around (from shortening when new) and could join them to make
    one useful chain if I had a tool of my own.

    You could use bits from this to make up the length, in conjunction with a
    Powerlink. Doesn't matter if you have to completely disassemble links to
    get what's necessary when using Powerlinks instead of the normal outer
    plates.

    Ideally new links shouldn't be added to a used chain but this doesn't seem
    to matter in practice when there isn't much difference in wear.

    I've done this after needing a longer chain after fitting larger
    sprockets.

    ~PB

  5. Simon Bennett said:

    I had a chain (SRAM PC-951) fall down between the inner chainring and the bb
    shell. Unfortunately this broke one of the links. I took the chain down to a
    LBS and he proceeded to break the chain to remove the link and was then
    unable to join it together. As I need the bike running tomorrow, I had to
    buy a new chain. I knew something was wrong when I saw him take out a
    bog-standard chain tool to do the job; I have one of these and if it was
    that easy, I'd have done it myself!

    So, I now have a relatively new chain in two pieces -- which tool is
    required to fix them together properly? I could take the pieces to another
    bike shop, but I'd like to know what he should be doing to do the job
    properly. I also have several bits of the same model chain hanging around
    (from shortening when new) and could join them to make one useful chain if I
    had a tool of my own.

    I don't quite understand. If you had to buy a new chain, why do you now
    have two pieces? However, as you have a chain tool you should be able
    to manage. This link should help.
    <http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=25>

    --
    Dave...

  6. Pete Biggs said:

    Why not? SRAM pins are tight but still it's possible to join the
    chains in the conventional way. And I would expect a good shop to
    have Powerlinks anyway......

    He didn't employ a new pin. Just pushed an existing one out, rejoined, then
    tried to push it back in, and failed.

    Quoted message said:

    Bog-standard chain tool to break, and preferably SRAM Powerlink to
    join. You can use as many Powerlinks as you like in a chain. See
    www.sram.com and Google if you're not familiar with these special
    links.

    The chain already has a powerlink. Didn't realise you could use more than
    one.

    Good advice.

    Ta.

  7. dkahn400 said:

    I don't quite understand. If you had to buy a new chain, why do you
    now have two pieces? However, as you have a chain tool you should be
    able to manage. This link should help.
    <http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=25>

    I have the two pieces of the old chain he failed to join. Plus the new
    chain.

  8. Simon Bennett submitted this idea :

    Quoted message said:
    Pete Biggs said:

    Why not? SRAM pins are tight but still it's possible to join the
    chains in the conventional way. And I would expect a good shop to
    have Powerlinks anyway......

    He didn't employ a new pin. Just pushed an existing one out, rejoined, then
    tried to push it back in, and failed.

    Then really, really don't go back to that shop if that's what he tried!
    It's bad enough that he pushed the pin right out - which any competent
    mechanic knows you shouldn't do (if you're planning to rejoin using
    said rivet), but the fact that he then tried to re-insert it makes it
    clear he hadn't a clue what he was doing.

    What others have said is correct (use a Powerlink), but there's also no
    reason why you shouldn't just insert an extra double link with a
    conventional rivet - especially if you have the tool. That's what your
    mechanic could (should) have done when he'd pushed the pin out...

    --
    Simon
    www.simondaw.freeserve.co.uk

  9. "Simon D" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Then really, really don't go back to that shop if that's what he tried!
    It's bad enough that he pushed the pin right out - which any competent
    mechanic knows you shouldn't do (if you're planning to rejoin using said
    rivet), but the fact that he then tried to re-insert it makes it clear he
    hadn't a clue what he was doing.

    Eh? It's tedious, but I've done it in the past with no problems. (can't
    remember why. I do know to push it out only sufficiently to get the chain
    apart, ie leave a little bit sticking out on the inside). SRAM, not shimano,
    and pre-powerlink though.

    cheers,
    clive

  10. Clive George explained :

    Quoted message said:

    "Simon D" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Then really, really don't go back to that shop if that's what he tried!
    It's bad enough that he pushed the pin right out - which any competent
    mechanic knows you shouldn't do (if you're planning to rejoin using said
    rivet), but the fact that he then tried to re-insert it makes it clear he
    hadn't a clue what he was doing.

    Eh? It's tedious, but I've done it in the past with no problems. (can't
    remember why. I do know to push it out only sufficiently to get the chain
    apart, ie leave a little bit sticking out on the inside). SRAM, not shimano,
    and pre-powerlink though.

    Well yes, it's possible (with determination). But splitting / rejoining
    any chain always damages the chain slightly, and having to faff about
    trying to persuade the pin to go back in makes damaging the outer plate
    more likely. This in turn makes chain breakage more likely.

    All shops get huge amounts of bits of chain left over from fitting new
    chains, so extra, odd links are not exactly hard to come by, and don't
    really even have any cost to the shop. I stand by what I said - that no
    competent mechanic would ever do what he did. I suppose I should have
    added "unless he hadn't any extra bits of chain", but if that were the
    case I'd still stand by my advice not to return!

    --
    Simon
    www.simondaw.freeserve.co.uk

  11. "Simon Bennett" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I had a chain (SRAM PC-951) fall down between the inner chainring and the
    bb
    shell. Unfortunately this broke one of the links. I took the chain down to
    a
    LBS and he proceeded to break the chain to remove the link and was then
    unable to join it together. As I need the bike running tomorrow, I had to
    buy a new chain. I knew something was wrong when I saw him take out a
    bog-standard chain tool to do the job; I have one of these and if it was
    that easy, I'd have done it myself!

    So, I now have a relatively new chain in two pieces -- which tool is
    required to fix them together properly? I could take the pieces to another
    bike shop, but I'd like to know what he should be doing to do the job
    properly. I also have several bits of the same model chain hanging around
    (from shortening when new) and could join them to make one useful chain if
    I
    had a tool of my own.

    I've broken and rejoined SRAM chains with a chain tool to no ill effect. As
    long as you don't [censored] it up (ie, push the rivet right out) it all goes back
    together fairly smoothly. Powerlinks are easier though.

  12. Simon D said:

    All shops get huge amounts of bits of chain left over from fitting new
    chains, so extra, odd links are not exactly hard to come by, and don't
    really even have any cost to the shop.

    Um, can be hard to come by if the shop in question is Richmond Cycles in
    Hammersmith IME.

    JimP

    --
    Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to
    grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after
    all. - DNA

  13. Doki said:

    I've broken and rejoined SRAM chains with a chain tool to no ill
    effect.

    So have I but still there's the potential for various sorts of damage with
    these tight peened pins -- pin not back quite right, bent plate or even a
    cracked plate, which might not be visible to begin with. But still I
    would expect a bike shop mechanic without Powerlinks to manage for a
    customer who needed to ride the bike straight away.

    ~PB

  14. Simon Bennett said:

    He didn't employ a new pin. Just pushed an existing one out,
    rejoined, then tried to push it back in, and failed.

    It's possible to push a pin back as long as it wasn't pushed all the way
    out or too far out, although this can cause damage -- partly why
    Powerlinks are preferable. So it would be fair enough if he told you that
    the chain should only be joined with a Powerlink (what SRAM state) and
    that he didn't have any Powerlinks.

    ~PB

  15. Clive George said:

    "Simon D" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Then really, really don't go back to that shop if that's what he tried!
    It's bad enough that he pushed the pin right out - which any competent
    mechanic knows you shouldn't do (if you're planning to rejoin using said
    rivet), but the fact that he then tried to re-insert it makes it clear he
    hadn't a clue what he was doing.

    Eh? It's tedious, but I've done it in the past with no problems. (can't
    remember why. I do know to push it out only sufficiently to get the chain
    apart, ie leave a little bit sticking out on the inside). SRAM, not shimano,
    and pre-powerlink though.

    My Park Tools chain tool (the light weight one) is designed so you
    can't push the pin all the way out.

    Tim

  16. Tim Hall used his keyboard to write :

    Quoted message said:

    My Park Tools chain tool (the light weight one) is designed so you
    can't push the pin all the way out.

    The heavier-duty workshop model has the same feature - they're both
    really excellent tools. One has to wonder why a "professional" mechanic
    is using anything without, really.

    --
    Simon
    www.simondaw.freeserve.co.uk

  17. Simon D said:

    The heavier-duty workshop model has the same feature - they're both
    really excellent tools. One has to wonder why a "professional" mechanic
    is using anything without, really.

    For a pro really handy with a CT the extra "can't get it wrong" feature
    is moot, because through lots and lots and lots and lots of practice
    they won't get it wrong anyway...

    Me, I recently got the Park one, and like it a lot because I don't get
    that practice!

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.