Brian Huntley said:There's no way a pin-wrench is going to be able to budge the supposedly
non-fixed cup (ie left side) on my all-weather commuter bike. I'm
fairly sure the fixed-cup is also immobile, and this is the time of
year I usually replace the bearings (it's an old cup-and-cone style
bb.)
What are my options? I'm thinking I could possible file some flats on
it and apply the big wrench, then replace it, but I seem to recall
these are really hard steel. The pin-wrench holes don't seem to be
deep enough to allow me to stick a punch in one and whale on it with a
mallet. Would a torch help? (It's steel-on-steel, so I'm guessing not.)
Some super-duper penetrating oil?
This is probably this frame's last year (I've said that before), but I
would like to make it last until June at least.
You're on the right path. When we confront rusted steel cups
in steel frames, we remove the lockring, grind flats on the
cup with a disc grinder, fasten a 30 inch adjustable wrench
to the cup with a tool that bolts to the spindle and pull
hard. The vibration from the disc grinder seems to help.
BB cups are good steel and hardened - a file isn't much help.
You run the risk of nicking into the frame when you cut the
flats but except for aesthetic purposes that probably
doesn't matter. Before grinding the left cup, do try a long
wrench bolted to the right cup. For some reason the left
cups installed without grease are usually matched with a
right cup that was never properly tightened.
I did once weld a long piece of steel to a cup but it was
more trouble than it was worth.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971