Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Repacing a hub and correct axel length

Started by smackthewonderclown · · Last activity · 7 posts · 626 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
30 January 2007
Last activity
1 February 2007
Original author
smackthewonderclown
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
626
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I replaced the hub body on a powertap up with a better modle which was
    unfortunatly taller. Of course this meant respacing the hub and
    redishing. I have everything lined up and working well but I also have
    less axle showing on either side. I am wondering what the minimum safe
    amount or correct amount of axle I need showing is. It seems to sit
    well enough in the dropouts butt am I missing something?

    Thanks
    Emory

  2. smackthewonderclown said:

    I replaced the hub body on a powertap up with a better modle which was
    unfortunatly taller. Of course this meant respacing the hub and
    redishing. I have everything lined up and working well but I also have
    less axle showing on either side. I am wondering what the minimum safe
    amount or correct amount of axle I need showing is. It seems to sit
    well enough in the dropouts butt am I missing something?

    Thanks
    Emory


    5.5 mm per side is Shimano's standard.
    Minium I would go with is 3 mm per side.
    For the kind of money involved with Powertap, I would ask them.

  3. Quoted message said:

    5.5 mm per side is Shimano's standard.
    Minium I would go with is 3 mm per side.
    For the kind of money involved with Powertap, I would ask them.

    --
    daveornee

    I have over 4 so I think Im goodPT response would be that since I
    choseto use something other thanthe hub body the spec their wheels
    with Im on my own.

  4. smackthewonderclown said:

    I replaced the hub body on a powertap up with a better modle which was
    unfortunatly taller. Of course this meant respacing the hub and
    redishing. I have everything lined up and working well but I also have
    less axle showing on either side. I am wondering what the minimum safe
    amount or correct amount of axle I need showing is. It seems to sit
    well enough in the dropouts butt am I missing something?

    Thanks
    Emory

    Sheldon says 0 or negative is fine.

    --
    Phil

  5. smackthewonderclown said:

    I replaced the hub body on a powertap up with a better modle which was
    unfortunatly taller. Of course this meant respacing the hub and
    redishing. I have everything lined up and working well but I also have
    less axle showing on either side. I am wondering what the minimum safe
    amount or correct amount of axle I need showing is. It seems to sit
    well enough in the dropouts butt am I missing something?

    You need enough to center the wheel in the frame but not protrude beyond
    the face of the frame end. The wheel is supported on the locknut and the
    skewer faces, not the axle.

    If the axle is longish, you may not have room for the vestigal springs.
    If so. toss them. And lube the cam of your quick release skewer today!

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  6. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    5.5 mm per side is Shimano's standard.
    Minium I would go with is 3 mm per side.
    For the kind of money involved with Powertap, I would ask them.

    smackthewonderclown said:

    I have over 4 so I think Im goodPT response would be that since I
    choseto use something other thanthe hub body the spec their wheels
    with Im on my own.

    Yes 4mm is plenty.
    What else did you intend to say???

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  7. On Jan 30, 7:10 am, "smackthewonderclown" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I replaced the hub body on a powertap up with a better modle which was
    unfortunatly taller. Of course this meant respacing the hub and
    redishing. I have everything lined up and working well but I also have
    less axle showing on either side. I am wondering what the minimum safe
    amount or correct amount of axle I need showing is. It seems to sit
    well enough in the dropouts butt am I missing something?

    Thanks
    Emory

    I did the same thing on my PT, with the same result. As others have
    said, protruding axle can be small (even zero or negative).

    If the new width is more than a washer's thickness, consider taking
    one out. I did, and no problems.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.