Replacement wheelset - 7sp cassette

Josh Gordon

Guest
I have a Bridgestone RB-T touring bike, and it has come time to replace my wheelset. I am leaning
towards pre-built set because I dont have a lot of $$. What I have seen so far, however, are wheels
built for 8/9 speed cassettes.

I have a 7 speed Shimano hyperglide cassette, with shimano deore derailler (not original equipment,
long story) and bar end shifters. Can I put my existing casette onto the hub built for 8/9 speed
casettes? Will it not fit properly? Will my existing derailler/shifter work with a 8/9 speed
cassette if I choose to upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Josh Gordon wrote:

> I have a 7 speed Shimano hyperglide cassette, with shimano deore derailler (not original
> equipment, long story) and bar end shifters. Can I put my existing casette onto the hub built for
> 8/9 speed casettes?

Yes, but ideally with a spacer which you could either buy (they're usually cheap) or bodge together
from an old worn out cassette.

> Will it not fit properly?

Not without the spacer.

> Will my existing derailler/shifter work with a 8/9 speed cassette if I choose to upgrade?

Your existing shifter would work with an 8 speed cassette (7 and 8 speed cassette spacing is close
enough for this to work well), but you would of course be unable to use one of the gears. You may
find you need to spread the chainstays a few mm to make things fit nicely - easy on a steel frame if
you are careful.

It would not work properly with a 9 speed cassette.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:33:31 -0400, "Josh Gordon" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a 7 speed Shimano hyperglide cassette, with shimano deore derailler (not original equipment,
>long story) and bar end shifters. Can I put my existing casette onto the hub built for 8/9 speed
>casettes? Will it not fit properly? Will my existing derailler/shifter work with a 8/9 speed
>cassette if I choose to upgrade?

You need to put on a 4.5 mm spacer before the 7sp cassette. If you can't find one, at your local
shop, I'll sell you one.

Your barends will likely shift an 8sp cassette, especially if you buy a 105 cassette and use the
spacers out of your 7sp cassette. If you friction shift, you can put a 9sp cassette on as well.

"Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:33:31 -0400, "Josh Gordon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I have a 7 speed Shimano hyperglide cassette, with shimano deore
derailler
> >(not original equipment, long story) and bar end shifters. Can I put my existing casette onto the
> >hub built for 8/9 speed casettes? Will it not
fit
> >properly? Will my existing derailler/shifter work with a 8/9 speed
cassette
> >if I choose to upgrade?
>
> You need to put on a 4.5 mm spacer before the 7sp cassette. If you can't find one, at your local
> shop, I'll sell you one.
>
> Your barends will likely shift an 8sp cassette, especially if you buy a 105 cassette and use the
> spacers out of your 7sp cassette. If you friction shift, you can put a 9sp cassette on as well.

Thanks for the advice! One more quick question: should the Deore derailler work on an 8sp?

Thanks,

Josh

joshie-<< I have a Bridgestone RB-T touring bike, and it has come time to replace my wheelset. I am
leaning towards pre-built set because I dont have a lot of $$. What I have seen so far, however, are
wheels built for 8/9 speed cassettes. >><BR><BR>

Are your hubs in good shape? If so, find a good wheelbuilder that can deisgn a wheelset, around your
hubs, built specifically for you...

Yes. your Deore derialler shoukld work. Wtih Shimano, the spacing is in the shifter, not
the derailer.