Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Replacing a lugged top tube?

Started by supabonbon · · Last activity · 19 posts · 959 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
14 October 2004
Last activity
19 October 2004
Original author
supabonbon
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
959
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've got a 75 Paramount track bike with a big ding in the top of the
    top tube where the handlebar smacked into it. It's not pretty, but
    doesn't seem to affect performance.
    It's a 531 tube with Nervex lugs. I'm considering having the top tube
    replaced. How much can I expect to pay, and can anyone recommend
    someone in the NY/NJ area?

    /s

  2. supabonbon said:

    I've got a 75 Paramount track bike with a big ding in the top of the
    top tube where the handlebar smacked into it. It's not pretty, but
    doesn't seem to affect performance.
    It's a 531 tube with Nervex lugs. I'm considering having the top tube
    replaced. How much can I expect to pay, and can anyone recommend
    someone in the NY/NJ area?

    You could have it filled and resprayed instead.

  3. supabonbon said:

    I've got a 75 Paramount track bike with a big ding in the top of the
    top tube where the handlebar smacked into it. It's not pretty, but
    doesn't seem to affect performance.
    It's a 531 tube with Nervex lugs. I'm considering having the top tube
    replaced. How much can I expect to pay, and can anyone recommend
    someone in the NY/NJ area?

    The Nervex lugs can make it tricky to pull the old tube out. If you don't
    have the joint fully liquid and evenly heated you risk breaking the points
    of when you pull the tube. If the dent hasn't affected alignment or ride
    quality, you might consider simply filling it solder and repainting
    instead. It a smaller, easier and less expensive job as well.

    Otherwise, just wrap some tape over the dent. This serves a dual function
    -- it covers the dent and protects the tube from further denting.

    --

    -John ([email hidden])

  4. (supabonbon) said:

    I've got a 75 Paramount track bike with a big ding in the top of the
    top tube ... I'm considering having the top tube replaced. How much
    can I expect to pay, and can anyone recommend someone in the NY/NJ
    area?

    How will you feel if you spend $125 to get the tube replaced and then
    the handlebar swings around and dents the top tube again ?? Moreover,
    reynolds 531 tubes are getting rare - they are out of production - and
    spending $125 for a repair that is ALWAYS done with bondo during a
    repaint is using a precious resource for a frivolous purpose.

    I, have a raleigh competition with a top-tube that was crumpled in two
    places during a crash. I have priced the cost of getting a new top
    tube installed. It is a dangerous repair because it reheats and
    weakens the lug area. The top tube is typically under compression and
    its one of the least structural tubes on the bike, so a small dent
    does not compromise strength.

    To replace this tube it costs about $125 at a low-cost frame builder
    (franklin frames of ohio), and $175 at a high-cost frame builder (just
    about anybody in new york city or california probably qualifies), not
    counting paint and rechroming of the lugs, which should shoot the
    total price up to about $500 or $600 on your bike ...

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  5. John Thompson said:

    Otherwise, just wrap some tape over the dent. This serves a dual function
    -- it covers the dent and protects the tube from further denting.

    Spense Wolfe in Cupertino used to wrap some tape (over foam) around the
    top tube on new bikes, to prevent exactly this dent. I followed his
    example for many years, but gave up on it some time ago. Maybe you should
    just follow suit, as suggested above.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Enron's slogan: Respect, Communication, Integrity, and
    _`\(,_ | Excellence.
    (_)/ (_) |

  6. I bet Paris Sport in Ridgewood, NJ can help. That's where Cuevas is (used to
    be) located, and that name is associated with fine frames.
    Gary Jacobson
    Rosendale, NY

    "supabonbon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've got a 75 Paramount track bike with a big ding in the top of the
    top tube where the handlebar smacked into it. It's not pretty, but
    doesn't seem to affect performance.
    It's a 531 tube with Nervex lugs. I'm considering having the top tube
    replaced. How much can I expect to pay, and can anyone recommend
    someone in the NY/NJ area?

    /s

  7. supabonbon said:

    I've got a 75 Paramount track bike with a big ding in the top of the
    top tube where the handlebar smacked into it. It's not pretty, but
    doesn't seem to affect performance.
    It's a 531 tube with Nervex lugs. I'm considering having the top tube
    replaced. How much can I expect to pay, and can anyone recommend
    someone in the NY/NJ area?

    About $150 for a new top tube. Plus a full paint job. Plus
    decals. (And it won't ever look like a 1975 bike again)

    You can have the dent repaired for less

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  8. Quoted message said:

    About $150 for a new top tube. Plus a full paint job. Plus
    decals. (And it won't ever look like a 1975 bike again)

    You can have the dent repaired for less

    Dunno about that, Andrew. Waterford will brepai it with original style decals
    as will many others-cyclart, Ed Litton etc. I saw an Ed Litton restored
    Paramount track bike-yellow and the correct shade-that couldn't be told from
    new.
    Phil Brown

  9. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    About $150 for a new top tube. Plus a full paint job. Plus
    decals. (And it won't ever look like a 1975 bike again)
    You can have the dent repaired for less

    Phil Brown said:

    Dunno about that, Andrew. Waterford will brepai it with original style decals
    as will many others-cyclart, Ed Litton etc. I saw an Ed Litton restored
    Paramount track bike-yellow and the correct shade-that couldn't be told from
    new.

    OK, I agree there are exceptions. But generally a respray
    looks resprayed.

    And repairing the dent is the better course for him if all
    else is well.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  10. Phil Brown said:
    Quoted message said:

    About $150 for a new top tube. Plus a full paint job. Plus
    decals. (And it won't ever look like a 1975 bike again)

    You can have the dent repaired for less

    Dunno about that, Andrew. Waterford will brepai it with original


    style decals

    Quoted message said:

    as will many others-cyclart, Ed Litton etc. I saw an Ed Litton


    restored

    Quoted message said:

    Paramount track bike-yellow and the correct shade-that couldn't be


    told from

    Quoted message said:

    new.


    Agree, Ed Litton does excellent work. Ed either does or did all
    "factory repairs" for Bianchi USA. The problem is Ed's paint job alone
    is gonna cost alot more than $150, try more like $250 and up. After
    all, Joe Bell gets over $400 for one of his 8+ hours paint jobs, and
    that doesn't include repairing/replacing the top tube. For more on Ed
    Litton, see here:

    http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Ed_Litton.htm

    Btw, it looks like Phil Brown's work is pretty nice too:
    http://www.paulstubblebine.com/philbrown/index.htm

  11. Why not send it to Wisonsin instead? Waterford built it...

    supabonbon said:

    I've got a 75 Paramount track bike with a big ding in the top of the
    top tube where the handlebar smacked into it. It's not pretty, but
    doesn't seem to affect performance.
    It's a 531 tube with Nervex lugs. I'm considering having the top tube
    replaced. How much can I expect to pay, and can anyone recommend
    someone in the NY/NJ area?

    /s

  12. Quoted message said:

    OK, I agree there are exceptions. But generally a respray
    looks resprayed.

    And repairing the dent is the better course for him if all
    else is well.

    True, a respray sometimes looks like a respray. But even filling the dent means
    a respray so why not go whole hog?
    Phil Brown

  13. Donald Gillies said:

    How will you feel if you spend $125 to get the tube replaced and then
    the handlebar swings around and dents the top tube again ?? Moreover,
    reynolds 531 tubes are getting rare - they are out of production - and
    spending $125 for a repair that is ALWAYS done with bondo during a
    repaint is using a precious resource for a frivolous purpose.

    In my experience, bondo tends to be less than satisfactory as it can fall
    out rather easily. Filling the dent with a low-temperature lead solder is
    quick and easy, and won't fall out either.

    --

    -John ([email hidden])

  14. richard said:

    Why not send it to Wisonsin instead? Waterford built it...

    supabonbon said:

    I've got a 75 Paramount track bike with a big ding in the top of the
    top tube where the handlebar smacked into it. It's not pretty, but
    doesn't seem to affect performance.
    It's a 531 tube with Nervex lugs. I'm considering having the top tube
    replaced. How much can I expect to pay, and can anyone recommend
    someone in the NY/NJ area?

    /s

    I had a handlebar ding in an old Trek frame I'm building up. A local
    frame builder saw it, grabbed a split aluminum block that had a hole in
    in the same diameter as the tube. Threw some oil on it, clamped it in a
    vise and rotated the tube in the block to get the ding out. The ding is
    almost gone now.

    Also, being a Waterford Paramount owner, the Waterford shop didn't start
    production until about 1980. Before that, it was all done in a corner
    of the Chicago plant. However, I do know they restore the old stuff, so
    they probably have the Jigs and such. Here's my Paramount when I
    receieved it back from them. They did a nice job, it's a 1990, and I
    had the rear brake cable guides removed from the top of the frame and
    put at 7 o'clock like current road bikes have, also had the rear reset
    to 130mm so I could build it up as 9spd.

    http://www.wolfenet.org/gallery/Bikes?page=7

    --
    Mark Wolfe Lakeside, ca http://www.wolfenet.org
    gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6 8C71
    "Your fault: core dumped"
    -- MegaHAL

  15. Quoted message said:
    Donald Gillies said:

    How will you feel if you spend $125 to get the tube replaced and then
    the handlebar swings around and dents the top tube again ?? Moreover,
    reynolds 531 tubes are getting rare - they are out of production - and
    spending $125 for a repair that is ALWAYS done with bondo during a
    repaint is using a precious resource for a frivolous purpose.

    John Thompson said:

    In my experience, bondo tends to be less than satisfactory as it can fall
    out rather easily. Filling the dent with a low-temperature lead solder is
    quick and easy, and won't fall out either.

    Dito. We use all-metal fillers, too. Bicycle frames are too
    dynamic for polyester filler.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  16. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    supabonbon said:

    I've got a 75 Paramount track bike with a big ding in the top of the
    top tube where the handlebar smacked into it. It's not pretty, but
    doesn't seem to affect performance.
    It's a 531 tube with Nervex lugs. I'm considering having the top tube
    replaced. How much can I expect to pay, and can anyone recommend
    someone in the NY/NJ area?

    Quoted message said:
    richard said:

    Why not send it to Wisonsin instead? Waterford built it...

    Mark Wolfe wrote:
    -snip-

    Quoted message said:

    Also, being a Waterford Paramount owner, the Waterford shop didn't start
    production until about 1980. Before that, it was all done in a corner
    of the Chicago plant. However, I do know they restore the old stuff, so
    they probably have the Jigs and such.


    -snip-

    Isn't a 1975 bike a Kenosha-built Mainland (sp?)?

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  17. On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:40:04 -0700 Mark Wolfe <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Also, being a Waterford Paramount owner, the Waterford shop didn't start
    production until about 1980. Before that, it was all done in a corner
    of the Chicago plant.

    I'm pretty sure that the very early Paramount production was all done
    in the Chicago factory, but by the 70s Paramounts demand had
    outstripped that production capacity. Many Paramounts of that era were
    made in a machine shop in Kenosha, WI for many years.

    I'm not sure of how the production numbers compared, but I have the
    impression that the Kenosha shop made more Paramounts than the Chicago
    shop. I no longer remember the name of the person at the Kenosha shop
    who did this.

    I wouldn't be surprised if the Kenosha Paramounts were chromed and
    painted in Chicago, however.

    -
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim Adney [email hidden]
    Madison, WI 53711 USA
    -----------------------------------------------

  18. Mark Wolfe said:

    I had a handlebar ding in an old Trek frame I'm building up. A local
    frame builder saw it, grabbed a split aluminum block that had a hole in
    in the same diameter as the tube. Threw some oil on it, clamped it in a
    vise and rotated the tube in the block to get the ding out. The ding is
    almost gone now.

    Yup, that can work pretty well for many dents. You can buy those split
    blocks from Third Hand, if you're interested.

    Quoted message said:

    Also, being a Waterford Paramount owner, the Waterford shop didn't start
    production until about 1980. Before that, it was all done in a corner
    of the Chicago plant. However, I do know they restore the old stuff, so
    they probably have the Jigs and such. Here's my Paramount when I
    receieved it back from them. They did a nice job, it's a 1990, and I
    had the rear brake cable guides removed from the top of the frame and
    put at 7 o'clock like current road bikes have, also had the rear reset
    to 130mm so I could build it up as 9spd.

    http://www.wolfenet.org/gallery/Bikes?page=7

    Nice bike. Looks like a Debian shirt, too... :-)

    --

    -John ([email hidden])

  19. Really, where else on earth can you send a 40-year old frameset back
    to the manufacturer and in a month or two get something in the mail
    that looks just like it did 40 years ago ?? not many places,
    waterford should be the FIRST choice when restoring a schwinn
    frameset.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.