UK and Europe · Public discussion

Replacing ancient Shimano brake lever

Started by John Mann · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,233 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
7 May 2008
Last activity
9 May 2008
Original author
John Mann
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,233
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Had an argument with a bridge abutment on Monday and bent my RH brake
    lever. Now my bike dates from before the dawn of time (1990) and has
    Shimano BL-M200 brake levers. Ebay has never heard of these! A visit to
    the bike shop will, I know from experience, result in a modified version
    of the Not the Nine O'clock News "Gram-o-phone" sketch, so can anyone
    suggest something I might find on Ebay that will do the job? The brakes
    are ordinary cantilever types.
    --
    John Mann

  2. John Mann said:

    Had an argument with a bridge abutment on Monday and bent my RH brake
    lever. Now my bike dates from before the dawn of time (1990) and has
    Shimano BL-M200 brake levers. Ebay has never heard of these! A visit to
    the bike shop will, I know from experience, result in a modified version
    of the Not the Nine O'clock News "Gram-o-phone" sketch, so can anyone
    suggest something I might find on Ebay that will do the job? The brakes
    are ordinary cantilever types.

    Don't confuse the shop by mentioning 'cantilever', ask for a nexus
    rollerbrake compatible brakelever. Cheap Saccon knockoffs should start
    at 6 ukp / pair or so
    --
    /Marten

    info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

  3. M-gineering said:

    John Mann wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The brakes
    are ordinary cantilever types.

    Don't confuse the shop by mentioning 'cantilever', ask for a nexus
    rollerbrake compatible brakelever.

    Hijacking this slightly, does this imply that cable pull for a roller
    brake is similar to that for a canti? I'd assumed it would be greater.

    If I were to try running roller brakes with drop bars, shoudl I just
    look at any old brake levers, or at V-brake compatible ones like
    the Dia-Compe 287Vs?

    John

  4. Quoted message said:
    M-gineering said:

    John Mann wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The brakes
    are ordinary cantilever types.


    Don't confuse the shop by mentioning 'cantilever', ask for a nexus
    rollerbrake compatible brakelever.

    Hijacking this slightly, does this imply that cable pull for a roller
    brake is similar to that for a canti? I'd assumed it would be greater.

    I think so.

    Quoted message said:

    If I were to try running roller brakes with drop bars, shoudl I just
    look at any old brake levers, or at V-brake compatible ones like
    the Dia-Compe 287Vs?

    The destructions that came with my roller brake said to use brake levers
    suitable for cantis and caliper brakes (or rather the canti setting on
    the brake lever). Having said that, I use the original V brake lever
    with the roller brake on that bike.

  5. "John Mann" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Had an argument with a bridge abutment on Monday and bent my RH brake
    lever. Now my bike dates from before the dawn of time (1990) and has
    Shimano BL-M200 brake levers. Ebay has never heard of these! A visit to
    the bike shop will, I know from experience, result in a modified version
    of the Not the Nine O'clock News "Gram-o-phone" sketch, so can anyone
    suggest something I might find on Ebay that will do the job? The brakes
    are ordinary cantilever types.

    Are all road levers not the same? I'm still using old weinmann levels with
    my dual pivot brakes...

  6. Doki said:


    "John Mann" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Had an argument with a bridge abutment on Monday and bent my RH brake
    lever. Now my bike dates from before the dawn of time (1990) and has
    Shimano BL-M200 brake levers. Ebay has never heard of these! A visit
    to the bike shop will, I know from experience, result in a modified
    version of the Not the Nine O'clock News "Gram-o-phone" sketch, so can
    anyone suggest something I might find on Ebay that will do the job?
    The brakes are ordinary cantilever types.

    Are all road levers not the same? I'm still using old weinmann levels
    with my dual pivot brakes...

    http://www.bikejumbles.co.uk/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.