Replacing Bontrager Race Lite

zerokoo0l

Aug 31, 2003
December 2nd I was hit by a car while on my daily ride. Aside from a few broken bones and bruises I am VERY lucky and recouperating. The rear wheel of my Trek 5200 (a Bontrager Race Lite) was smashed in half, the front seems to be intact except for the the Conti GP3000 which was somehow torn off of it. I am allready looking forward to being back on the bike and looking to replace the wheels (Shimano DA cassette seems fine as well). I looked up the Bontrager RaceLite and it retails at 275 rear/200 front (dont need a front but for comparisson). I also looked at the Mavic Kysrium Elite (549), I can get an 04 set brand new for around 450. Is the Mavic Kysrium Elite a better wheelset than the Bontrager or should I just replace the Bontrager and ride? If there is another wheelset at the under $600-700 pricepoint that would be clearly better please let me know so I can look at it.

Thanks

zerokoo0l said:
December 2nd I was hit by a car while on my daily ride. Aside from a few broken bones and bruises I am VERY lucky and recouperating. The rear wheel of my Trek 5200 (a Bontrager Race Lite) was smashed in half, the front seems to be intact except for the the Conti GP3000 which was somehow torn off of it. I am allready looking forward to being back on the bike and looking to replace the wheels (Shimano DA cassette seems fine as well). I looked up the Bontrager RaceLite and it retails at 275 rear/200 front (dont need a front but for comparisson). I also looked at the Mavic Kysrium Elite (549), I can get an 04 set brand new for around 450. Is the Mavic Kysrium Elite a better wheelset than the Bontrager or should I just replace the Bontrager and ride? If there is another wheelset at the under $600-700 pricepoint that would be clearly better please let me know so I can look at it.

Thanks
The wheels that came on your Trek are a good value.
It is a rider weight an preference thing mostly.
Quality hand built wheels with more spokes might serve you better.
Simano Dura Ace hubs are very hard to beat for overall durability and serviceability, while keeping weight in mind.
Double butted spokes from DT, Sapim, and Wheelsmith are also very durable.
Velocity Aerohead rims, with OC in rear , is a durable rimset.
I would tend to use Sapim Laser 14/17 DB spokes in front and left rear, while using Sapim Race 14/15 DB spokes left rear.

daveornee said:
The wheels that came on your Trek are a good value.
It is a rider weight an preference thing mostly.
Quality hand built wheels with more spokes might serve you better.
Simano Dura Ace hubs are very hard to beat for overall durability and serviceability, while keeping weight in mind.
Double butted spokes from DT, Sapim, and Wheelsmith are also very durable.
Velocity Aerohead rims, with OC in rear , is a durable rimset.
I would tend to use Sapim Laser 14/17 DB spokes in front and left rear, while using Sapim Race 14/15 DB spokes left rear.

Thanks for the post and I should mention I am 5'8" and 180lbs

zerokoo0l said:

Thanks

I wouldn't particularily bother with the ksyriums. The elite's aren't bad but are on the heavier side (nearly two kilograms the set), good bearings and pretty strong but your money would be better spent somewhere else. I use my rear one for training and had a lighter rear wheel made up;) , and just use the front.