Replacing Downtube Friction Shift Lever with Friciton Grip Shifters?

T.C. Mann

Guest
I have an older 10-speed (non-indexed) bike that uses friction shift
levers mounted on the downtube. I would like to replace these
shifters with friction grip shifters. I have already replaced the
drop handlebars with a mountain bike (straight) handlebar. Is this
possible? Thank you

On Mon, 17 May 2004 13:32:09 -0700, T.C. Mann wrote:

> I have an older 10-speed (non-indexed) bike that uses friction shift
> levers mounted on the downtube. I would like to replace these
> shifters with friction grip shifters. I have already replaced the
> drop handlebars with a mountain bike (straight) handlebar. Is this
> possible? Thank you

Most grip-shifters are index rather than friction, and don't have a
friction mode. You might try friction thumb shifters instead. If you do
go index, you will either need a bunch of new parts, or a decent amount of
trial and error. If you've got a 5 or 6 speed (and can find the
shifters), you might get away with just the shifters, without having to
change derailleurs, chain or rear cogs.