rec.bicycles.rides · Public discussion

Repost: Photographing Hills - difficult?

Started by Badger South · · Last activity · 9 posts · 639 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.rides
Published
26 October 2004
Last activity
1 November 2004
Original author
Badger South
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
639
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. [Corrected: posting in right 'rides' group.]

    Got a couple snaps of a road that looks to me, on the bike like a 'wall',
    where the B-Monticello Bike/ped trail crosses the ride up to the apple
    orchard. (Note: One reply suggested tilting camera parallel to flat, which
    will give right perspective.)

    The rez on these is ok, but a little grainy, supposedly the better
    disposables are coming out with a new Kodak Hi-Rez. Wasn't in the store,
    just a promo picture.

    -B

    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Cartersmtn1.jpg
    Durn if it looks like a little driveway...

    ---------

    Here's a longshot:
    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Cartersmtn2.jpg

    ---------

    Here's the instructions for riding:
    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Cartersmtn3.jpg
    *(see how tiny that car is? It's a Hyoooge car). ;->
    caution🙁dialup, larger file.)

    Yep, I test-rode that yesterday...but only from there, up to where it
    flattens out, around the corner (250yds?).

    ....

    Here's an _actual_ picture of a hill.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/sep04/sanfrangp04/?id=men/CRW_4263

    -B
    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Cartersmtn4.jpg
    I'm off-camera thinking of having a nosebleed. (j/k)
    caution🙁dialup, both larger files.)
    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Monticello1.jpg
    Suitable for wallp? Run out from bike trail, wooden bridge.

  2. "Badger South" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [Corrected: posting in right 'rides' group.]

    Got a couple snaps of a road that looks to me, on the bike like a 'wall',
    where the B-Monticello Bike/ped trail crosses the ride up to the apple
    orchard. (Note: One reply suggested tilting camera parallel to flat, which
    will give right perspective.)

    The rez on these is ok, but a little grainy, supposedly the better
    disposables are coming out with a new Kodak Hi-Rez. Wasn't in the store,
    just a promo picture.

    -B

    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Cartersmtn1.jpg
    Durn if it looks like a little driveway...

    I love reading about the places others in the group ride. It gives me ideas
    on where to ride on vacations. Here's where I do some of my riding. It's
    one of the local Metro Parks about 2 miles from home. It's about 8 miles
    out and back - mostly hills and curves. I may have to try your method of
    photographing the hills. Most of these were taken with the camera at eye
    level.

    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/uowenba/album?.dir=d5db&.src=ph

    Beverly

    Quoted message said:

    ---------

    Here's a longshot:
    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Cartersmtn2.jpg

    ---------

    Here's the instructions for riding:
    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Cartersmtn3.jpg
    *(see how tiny that car is? It's a Hyoooge car). ;->
    caution🙁dialup, larger file.)

    Yep, I test-rode that yesterday...but only from there, up to where it
    flattens out, around the corner (250yds?).

    ...

    Here's an _actual_ picture of a hill.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/sep04/sanfrangp04/?id=men/CRW_4263

    -B
    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Cartersmtn4.jpg
    I'm off-camera thinking of having a nosebleed. (j/k)
    caution🙁dialup, both larger files.)
    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Monticello1.jpg
    Suitable for wallp? Run out from bike trail, wooden bridge.

  3. "Badger South" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [Corrected: posting in right 'rides' group.]

    Got a couple snaps of a road that looks to me, on the bike like a 'wall',
    where the B-Monticello Bike/ped trail crosses the ride up to the apple
    orchard. (Note: One reply suggested tilting camera parallel to flat, which
    will give right perspective.)

    The rez on these is ok, but a little grainy, supposedly the better
    disposables are coming out with a new Kodak Hi-Rez. Wasn't in the store,
    just a promo picture.

    Well, it helps to have a real hill, and a decent camera. I've also found
    that most hill photos look best when taken from the bottom of the hill.
    With the riders going up (away from the camera), there's more more drama,
    and a better perspective on the climb. It also helps if you follow the
    "rule of thirds" (see
    http://www.silverlight.co.uk/tutorials/compose_expose/thirds.html - this is
    one of the most basic rules of photography, and the single most significant
    thing that will improve the photos most folks take).

    Here's some examples from my recent trips:

    Riding around Mt. Lassen last June:
    http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/biketours/MTLASSEN2004/RAML_012.htm
    (or, http://tinyurl.com/6r5jh )

    Riding up the Col d'Glandon in France, last July:
    http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/biketours/TDF2004/TDF2004_010.htm
    (or, http://tinyurl.com/5dmx2 ).

    Sometimes, you can get a dramatic shot from the top of a climb, especially
    if you can convince a mountain goat to pose for you (from the Bicycle Tour
    of Colorado, in 2003):

    http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/biketours/BTC2003/BTC0042.htm (or,
    http://tinyurl.com/4fop6 )

    ~_-*
    ....G/ \G

    Quoted message said:


    -B

    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Cartersmtn1.jpg
    Durn if it looks like a little driveway...

    ---------

    Here's a longshot:
    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Cartersmtn2.jpg

    ---------

    Here's the instructions for riding:
    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Cartersmtn3.jpg
    *(see how tiny that car is? It's a Hyoooge car). ;->
    caution🙁dialup, larger file.)

    Yep, I test-rode that yesterday...but only from there, up to where it
    flattens out, around the corner (250yds?).

    ...

    Here's an _actual_ picture of a hill.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/sep04/sanfrangp04/?id=men/CRW_4263

    -B
    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Cartersmtn4.jpg
    I'm off-camera thinking of having a nosebleed. (j/k)
    caution🙁dialup, both larger files.)
    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Monticello1.jpg
    Suitable for wallp? Run out from bike trail, wooden bridge.

  4. GaryG' garyg@shasta_SPAMBEGONE_software.com said:

    "Badger South" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [Corrected: posting in right 'rides' group.]

    Got a couple snaps of a road that looks to me, on the bike like a
    'wall', where the B-Monticello Bike/ped trail crosses the ride up
    to the apple orchard. (Note: One reply suggested tilting camera
    parallel to flat, which will give right perspective.)

    The rez on these is ok, but a little grainy, supposedly the better
    disposables are coming out with a new Kodak Hi-Rez. Wasn't in the
    store, just a promo picture.

    Well, it helps to have a real hill, and a decent camera. I've also
    found that most hill photos look best when taken from the bottom of
    the hill. With the riders going up (away from the camera), there's
    more more drama, and a better perspective on the climb.

    <snip>

    Some hills are easier than others to capture on film, too. Hills with
    a lot of vertical gain and switchbacks, for example, such as one finds
    in the Alps.

    Quoted message said:

    Here's some examples from my recent trips:

    <snip>

    Excellent photos!

  5. Badger South <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    [Corrected: posting in right 'rides' group.]

    Got a couple snaps of a road that looks to me, on the bike like a 'wall',
    where the B-Monticello Bike/ped trail crosses the ride up to the apple
    orchard. (Note: One reply suggested tilting camera parallel to flat, which
    will give right perspective.)

    The rez on these is ok, but a little grainy, supposedly the better
    disposables are coming out with a new Kodak Hi-Rez. Wasn't in the store,
    just a promo picture.

    -B

    Hey B,

    Interesting. One thing that helps is to add stuff that shows scale
    and relation to horizontal planes. Don't have any photos handy here
    at work that show both real well, but here is one that has a lot for
    scale and since it is on a switchback it does give some hint of
    deviation from level:
    http://www.cycle-tours.com/images/switchback.jpg . It is always
    tricky to show incline when it is just the road in the pic.

    - rick

  6. Quoted message said:

    Got a couple snaps of a road that looks to me, on the bike like a 'wall',
    where the B-Monticello Bike/ped trail crosses the ride up to the apple
    orchard. (Note: One reply suggested tilting camera parallel to flat, which
    will give right perspective.)

    It *is* tough getting it to look as steep as it really is (or at least how
    you *remember* it was!). I just tossed a few photos onto a page to see who
    well (or poorly) I've managed to capture Sonora Pass-

    www.ChainReaction.com/steeppix.htm

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  7. On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:08:26 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Got a couple snaps of a road that looks to me, on the bike like a 'wall',
    where the B-Monticello Bike/ped trail crosses the ride up to the apple
    orchard. (Note: One reply suggested tilting camera parallel to flat, which
    will give right perspective.)

    It *is* tough getting it to look as steep as it really is (or at least how
    you *remember* it was!). I just tossed a few photos onto a page to see who
    well (or poorly) I've managed to capture Sonora Pass-

    www.ChainReaction.com/steeppix.htm

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Thx Mike. It's funny how the 'steep' changes when you're riding it, and
    many have commented like 'that was the "Wall", pfft, nothing', at times in
    group rides and soforth.

    I do know that two weeks ago when I came out at that crossing it looked
    like a 'wall', b/c the crossover is level, and it catches the hill in the
    middle, and this section follows disappearing into the trees.

    Not so much a 'wall' now, since I've ridden a 9-10-12% grade for a short
    section...but only about 100-200 yds, so far, with no real run up...

    I'm working on getting a 'steep pitch' photo maybe this weekend that might
    bring a smile or two...we'll see.

    -B

  8. Mike Jacoubowsky said:
    Quoted message said:

    Got a couple snaps of a road that looks to me, on the bike like a 'wall',
    where the B-Monticello Bike/ped trail crosses the ride up to the apple
    orchard. (Note: One reply suggested tilting camera parallel to flat, which
    will give right perspective.)

    It *is* tough getting it to look as steep as it really is (or at least how
    you *remember* it was!). I just tossed a few photos onto a page to see who
    well (or poorly) I've managed to capture Sonora Pass-


    Here's my contribution. I had been wanting to get a good picture of this
    steep grade, so I finally took my camera with me in September (a bulky
    Olympus E-10 - ugh! What a great camera, though. I hope to get a good
    compact from "Santa" this year, so I can take more pictures more often.)

    The stretch in the picture is .2 miles of 18% - 19% grade. It is on a
    relatively short ride near my house - Flagstaff Mountain Road to the
    Green Mountain Trail head - 16.5 miles up and back - a 2400 foot climb.
    I've done this ride many, many times.

    I didn't get a "dramatic" picture on the way up (that *is* hard), but I
    think I captured a bit of what it's like on the descent. I sit upright
    and "soar" - feeling like I'm in a glider, looking for the runway on the
    flats down below. I love it every time - a big wind in my face grin. The
    "final approach."

    Here's a horizontal:
    http://www.cycletourist.com/photos/finalapproach-hsm.php
    and a vertical: http://www.cycletourist.com/photos/finalapproach-vsm.php

    (And for bigger screens -
    http://www.cycletourist.com/photos/finalapproach-h.php
    - http://www.cycletourist.com/photos/finalapproach-v.php)

    (Note the RV at the bottom of the hill. The driver had made the mistake
    of getting that far and then had to park it. I'm not sure how they got
    it back down. That's the second half of a very tight, very steep, double
    hairpin.)

    Then there is shooting off to the side, like the second maniacal picture
    here:
    http://www.cycletourist.com/Scenes/Colorado.html (I don't recall the
    grade, but it was not "extreme." A touring load really gets you rolling
    on those descents.)

    Here's one from Austria (the second photo - scroll down):
    http://www.cycletourist.com/Scenes/Austria/Steyr_Before_Rain.html
    It seems that it may be easier to portray the grade when looking down
    the hill (?), and also having a vehicle on the road for perspective and
    scale.

    And, not to start a pissing match - not my intention at all. But I have
    to wonder if grades aren't figured differently at times. I see the sign
    in your picture, Mike, that says 26% grade and I can't imagine even
    pedaling on that. I've ridden the 19% grade (above) and on a supposed
    22% grade in Austria, and that seemed about my limit. How much harder
    would a 26% grade be? What does the physical difference between riding a
    20% grade or a 26% grade actually feel like. Like ..... once the grade
    hits 20%, there's no telling the difference between that and 26%? Is it
    the same as the difference between 0% and 6%?

    Just pondering.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
    http://www.CycleTourist.com
    Integrity is obvious.
    The lack of it is common.
    *****************************

  9. From the Arlington Circle to the top on Marin Street (only .75 miles in a
    straight line) here in Berkeley, the average grade is 18%, including flat
    spots where streets cross. A number of sections near the top hit 33% (I
    measured it with a six foot level and measure).

    I've got a funny picture of a moving van high-centered at the top. Large
    trucks are prohibited and they had a jolly time getting that one loose, but
    the cops were not amused.
    --
    Steve Juniper
    Berkeley, CA

    "Fascism should more properly be called corporatism, since it is the merger
    of state and corporate power."
    --
    Benito Mussolini

    "Chuck Anderson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:xqbhd.551521$8_6.12577@attbi_s04...

    Mike Jacoubowsky said:
    Quoted message said:

    Got a couple snaps of a road that looks to me, on the bike like a 'wall',
    where the B-Monticello Bike/ped trail crosses the ride up to the apple
    orchard. (Note: One reply suggested tilting camera parallel to flat, which
    will give right perspective.)

    It *is* tough getting it to look as steep as it really is (or at least how
    you *remember* it was!). I just tossed a few photos onto a page to see who
    well (or poorly) I've managed to capture Sonora Pass-


    Here's my contribution. I had been wanting to get a good picture of this
    steep grade, so I finally took my camera with me in September (a bulky
    Olympus E-10 - ugh! What a great camera, though. I hope to get a good
    compact from "Santa" this year, so I can take more pictures more often.)

    The stretch in the picture is .2 miles of 18% - 19% grade. It is on a
    relatively short ride near my house - Flagstaff Mountain Road to the
    Green Mountain Trail head - 16.5 miles up and back - a 2400 foot climb.
    I've done this ride many, many times.

    I didn't get a "dramatic" picture on the way up (that *is* hard), but I
    think I captured a bit of what it's like on the descent. I sit upright
    and "soar" - feeling like I'm in a glider, looking for the runway on the
    flats down below. I love it every time - a big wind in my face grin. The
    "final approach."

    Here's a horizontal:
    http://www.cycletourist.com/photos/finalapproach-hsm.php
    and a vertical: http://www.cycletourist.com/photos/finalapproach-vsm.php

    (And for bigger screens -
    http://www.cycletourist.com/photos/finalapproach-h.php
    - http://www.cycletourist.com/photos/finalapproach-v.php)

    (Note the RV at the bottom of the hill. The driver had made the mistake
    of getting that far and then had to park it. I'm not sure how they got
    it back down. That's the second half of a very tight, very steep, double
    hairpin.)

    Then there is shooting off to the side, like the second maniacal picture
    here:
    http://www.cycletourist.com/Scenes/Colorado.html (I don't recall the
    grade, but it was not "extreme." A touring load really gets you rolling
    on those descents.)

    Here's one from Austria (the second photo - scroll down):
    http://www.cycletourist.com/Scenes/Austria/Steyr_Before_Rain.html
    It seems that it may be easier to portray the grade when looking down
    the hill (?), and also having a vehicle on the road for perspective and
    scale.

    And, not to start a pissing match - not my intention at all. But I have
    to wonder if grades aren't figured differently at times. I see the sign
    in your picture, Mike, that says 26% grade and I can't imagine even
    pedaling on that. I've ridden the 19% grade (above) and on a supposed
    22% grade in Austria, and that seemed about my limit. How much harder
    would a 26% grade be? What does the physical difference between riding a
    20% grade or a 26% grade actually feel like. Like ..... once the grade
    hits 20%, there's no telling the difference between that and 26%? Is it
    the same as the difference between 0% and 6%?

    Just pondering.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
    http://www.CycleTourist.com
    Integrity is obvious.
    The lack of it is common.
    *****************************

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.