rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Reputable website for a new uni? (does seat post really matter?)

Started by zambonijones · · Last activity · 8 posts · 399 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
12 September 2004
Last activity
13 September 2004
Original author
zambonijones
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
399
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I know everyone says to go to unicycle.com to buy a uni, but I've found
    one that (at least seems like it would) meets most of my criteria:

    Torker LX Unistar
    -300 mm seat post
    -48-spoke
    -front handle, rear bumper
    -20"
    for $99.98 at shop.sunrisecyclery.com/item/10749

    I don't know if this is a model that will stand up to some rigorous
    learning/experience-building or not (and any opinions on that would be
    wonderful!) I also don't know if this website is reliable or reputable,
    because I've never heard of anyone buying one from here.

    ALSO: Does a 300mm seat post vs. a 400mm seat post make a huge
    difference when you're learning? I'm 5'5", and it sounds like I should
    get a 300mm, but some models only come in 400mm, and one person told me
    that seat post doesn't really matter. I'm confused.

    {{{{Some other models I was considering, in order or preference:

    Semcycle XL 20" Standard
    -300 mm seat post
    -36-spoke
    -front and back bumpers
    for $165.00 at unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=535

    Schwinn 20"
    -350 mm seat post
    -36-spoke
    -supposedly more durable (flat-bladed)
    for $139.00 at unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=59

    Nimbus II 20"
    -400 mm seat post [[this concerns me]]
    -48-spoke
    for $144.00 at unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?=740 or 739
    It's also out of stock, and I don't know about the bumpers on this
    one.}}}}

    --
    zambonijones
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zambonijones's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7580
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35031

  2. that's not a bad price for a torker, as far as I have seen, and the FREE
    SHIPPING is going to save you some money. I don't know if the website is
    reputable, and I don't know about the other unis you like, but torkers
    seem to be great first unis. They will be very strong, though not well
    suited to much MUni or Trials, because you cannot fit a good MUni tire
    into the torker frame, othewise they would be exceptionally good.
    However, mos everything you mentioned will stand up fine to learning,
    though the viscount saddle has been known to fall apart. A bonus on the
    torker is that it comes with a Miyata style saddle, which is comfortable
    and has a handle which will help a lot for once you have learned to ride
    and want to learn to hop.

    Seat Posts- The seat post length won't matter unless it's too short,
    because you can easily cut it down until it fits.

    The semcycle is a good uni, but the seat is not quite as good as the
    torker, though the hub is quite strong and good.

    I don't know about the schwinn, but its seat is also not as good.

    I like the Nimbus II, because it has a Kris Holm saddle, which is better
    than the torker, and has a very nice tire. However, I think the torker
    might be stronger, though I'm not sure.

    --
    Fuego - Ride to Ruin, and a Red Dawn!

    "Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
    balance."

    If you don't want us riding on your concrete, don't make it in such damn
    interesting shapes!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35031

  3. that was actually very helpful. thank you.

    I just wish I knew some people who had ordered things from that
    website.... And, yeah, the free shipping is awesome, considering that
    the shipping would probably bump me back up to the price of the rest of
    the unis i listed.

    Bah, money.

    --
    zambonijones
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zambonijones's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7580
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35031

  4. I just bought a 24" Torker LX from 'these guys' (). It was an easy
    transaction and the Torker is very nice.

    I'm getting back into unicycling after 15 years. The Torker is light
    years ahead of the old Schwinn I learned on!

    --
    KJK
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    KJK's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7847
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35031

  5. Check this site out!

    www.municycle.com -> see proffesional indoors uni!!

    Cool web, cool uni, cool price!

    --
    monociclos - Doin` trials

    www.monociclos.com Unicycle related stuff in Spanish
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    monociclos's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4100
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35031

  6. Check this site out!

    www.municycle.com -> see proffesional indoors uni!!

    Cool web, cool uni, cool price!

    --
    monociclos - Doin` trials

    www.monociclos.com Unicycle related stuff in Spanish
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    monociclos's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4100
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35031

  7. The handlebarunicyle on that site looks fun too!

    --
    s7ev0

    s7ev0

    Where there's a wheel there's a way
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35031

  8. The most reputable web site out there is still Unicycle.com. Darren
    Bedford is also great for orders in Canada, but his is mostly over the
    phone business, as the web site is still struggling to be e-commerce.

    Sunrise Cyclery is a bike shop in Massapequa Park, Long Island. I drove
    by there many times during my 10 years living in the area, but don't
    know if I ever went in there. It is obvious by their web site that they
    are a hard-working store who want to do a good job. They also advertise
    on Google, so they want to get their name out there and not just be a
    local shop. That's great. But they are still, at the core, a bike shop.
    Somebody there obviously is interested in unicycles, but they are mainly
    a reseller.

    Unicycle.com is the source (their name was originally
    "unicyclesource.com"😉. The business was built from the ground up to be
    all about unicycles. They are not a bike shop. They have the most
    complete selection of parts and products online, and will work hard to
    make sure you are a satisfied customer. If I need something, I will
    always go to Unicycle.com first, to support them, then to other sources
    if Uni.com doesn't have what I need.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "Read the rules!"
    'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
    'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35031

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.