Result! (sort of)

naked_draughtsman

Guest
Nearly 2 weeks ago myself and another cyclist were nearly hit at a toucan
crossing when a txi drove through while the lights were on red. I reported
it to the police at the time and they gave me a form to fill in, but it said
there was no point in sending it off if I didn't have the registration
number and I only had the 'taxi number'.
This evening, a taxi overtook me and turned left in front of me and surprise
surprise it was the same vehicle. My mind was particularly sharp today and
I remembered to note the registration number so I can fill my form in and
send it off - hurrah.

I don't think much will come of it though, as it's rather a long time now
since the original inicident. Hopefully they'll log it for future reference
though in case he kills someone.

--
peter

Cheap train tickets database
http://www.petereverett.co.uk/tickets/

Email sent to this address is generally deleted upon arrival
Visit website if you want to contact me

On 12/03/2007 17:15, naked_draughtsman said,
> Nearly 2 weeks ago myself and another cyclist were nearly hit at a toucan
> crossing when a txi drove through while the lights were on red.

You must be mistaken. The only vehicles that jump red lights are
cyclists. It must be true because the national media says so. Car
drivers would never dream of jumping a red light.

Oh, hang on - wrong thread :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

"naked_draughtsman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nearly 2 weeks ago myself and another cyclist were nearly hit at a toucan
> crossing when a txi drove through while the lights were on red. I
> reported it to the police at the time and they gave me a form to fill in,
> but it said there was no point in sending it off if I didn't have the
> registration number and I only had the 'taxi number'.
> This evening, a taxi overtook me and turned left in front of me and
> surprise surprise it was the same vehicle. My mind was particularly sharp
> today and I remembered to note the registration number so I can fill my
> form in and send it off - hurrah.
>
> I don't think much will come of it though, as it's rather a long time now
> since the original inicident. Hopefully they'll log it for future
> reference though in case he kills someone.
>
> --
> peter
>
> Cheap train tickets database
> http://www.petereverett.co.uk/tickets/
>
> Email sent to this address is generally deleted upon arrival
> Visit website if you want to contact me

I thought taxi numbers were unique, as registered with the local authority.

David Lloyd

David Lloyd wrote:
> I thought taxi numbers were unique, as registered with the local authority.

Yebbut if Plod insists on a registration No and the OP only has the taxi
No then Plod has an excuse for not doing any work.

"David Lloyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I thought taxi numbers were unique, as registered with the local
> authority.

That's what I thought as well which is why I thought it was enough for them
to identify the vehicle. The council (which licences the taxis) may have
been able to provide details, but I'm not sure they would - data protection
and all that.

--

naked_draughtsman wrote:
> "David Lloyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I thought taxi numbers were unique, as registered with the local
>>authority.

> That's what I thought as well which is why I thought it was enough for them
> to identify the vehicle. The council (which licences the taxis) may have
> been able to provide details, but I'm not sure they would - data protection
> and all that.

A taxi is not an individual and should not be covered by the DPA, but I
will have to check.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"So tell me, just how long have you had this feeling that no one
is watching you?" (Christopher Locke: Entropy Gradient Reversals)

naked_draughtsman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Nearly 2 weeks ago myself and another cyclist were nearly hit at a toucan
> crossing when a txi drove through while the lights were on red. I reported
> it to the police at the time and they gave me a form to fill in, but it said
> there was no point in sending it off if I didn't have the registration
> number and I only had the 'taxi number'.

Could you not have got the relevant details from the local council,
responsible for licensing taxis?

Cheers,
Luke

--
Lincoln City 0-2 Southend United (AET)
Swansea City 2-2 Southend United

In news:[email protected],
Paul Boyd <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
> On 12/03/2007 17:15, naked_draughtsman said,
>> Nearly 2 weeks ago myself and another cyclist were nearly hit at a
>> toucan crossing when a txi drove through while the lights were on
>> red.

> You must be mistaken. The only vehicles that jump red lights are
> cyclists. It must be true because the national media says so. Car
> drivers would never dream of jumping a red light.

This morning at a set of traffic lights in Waltham Abbey. The lights go
green, the car in front of me pulls away and Proceeds with decorum down the
road. At which point a WVM, waiting at the lights on the left - which he
had overhsot by the length of his vehicle - decided that he couldn't be
arsed to wait any more, so pulled out acrros the path of both my bicycle and
the car in the lane to my right. The driver of which made his vexation
known, by use of the Audible Warning of Approach.

The I woke up, and realised it had all been, er, no I didn't. So anyone in
NE London or the Essex/Herts borders should be on the lookout for a stolen
Mercedes Sprinter with a lycra lout at the wheel.

--
Dave Larrington
The System is well pleased with this Unit's performance, which

"naked_draughtsman" <[email protected]>typed

> "David Lloyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I thought taxi numbers were unique, as registered with the local
> > authority.

> That's what I thought as well which is why I thought it was enough for them
> to identify the vehicle. The council (which licences the taxis) may have
> been able to provide details, but I'm not sure they would - data protection
> and all that.

I would have thought that those taxi numbers were there and displayed
just so that such incidents could be reported.

I should hope the Public Carriage Office (or its equivalent) might take
an interest if you inform the the same taxi has endangered you twice.
They might even divulge details.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

On Mar 12, 5:15 pm, "naked_draughtsman"

> I don't think much will come of it though, as it's rather a long
> time now since the original inicident. Hopefully they'll log it
> for future reference though in case he kills someone.

But now you have a brand new incident to report. Can you not also
complain separately, about both incidents, to the taxi licensing
authority?

--
Dave...

On Mon, 12 Mar, Don Whybrow <[email protected]> wrote:
> naked_draughtsman wrote:
> > "David Lloyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>I thought taxi numbers were unique, as registered with the local
> >>authority.

> > That's what I thought as well which is why I thought it was enough for them
> > to identify the vehicle. The council (which licences the taxis) may have
> > been able to provide details, but I'm not sure they would - data protection
> > and all that.

> A taxi is not an individual and should not be covered by the DPA, but I
> will have to check.

Yebbut facts aren't going to get in the way of a jobsworth who thinks
the DPA is a fab answer for confounding anyone who expects them to do
some actual work.

I once tried to get a telephone operator to give me some information
relating to their records about the company where I work. She
wouldn't, claiming the DPA prohibited it. As it happened, I had a
copy on my desk at that time, so I carefully read it out to her and
highlighted the fact that it explicitly referred only to people not
organisations. I offered to fax the relevant bits to her. Still she
wouldn't budge.

regards, Ian Smith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Following on from Ian Smith's message. . .
>Yebbut facts aren't going to get in the way of a jobsworth who thinks
>the DPA is a fab answer for confounding anyone who expects them to do
>some actual work.
>
>I once tried to get a telephone operator to give me some information
>relating to their records about the company where I work. She
>wouldn't, claiming the DPA prohibited it. As it happened, I had a
>copy on my desk at that time, so I carefully read it out to her and
>highlighted the fact that it explicitly referred only to people not
>organisations. I offered to fax the relevant bits to her. Still she
>wouldn't budge.

This is a good ploy, but better done the other way around. When
somebody quotes the rule book in a 'can't' sense then _get them_ to
quote the rule.

Them : ...can't DPA etc etc
You : Which section of the act is that then?
Them : err.. waffle "but anyway I'm sure it is"
You : So you can look it up...
Them : I haven't got time etc
You : But your manager has - please put me through

or
Them : We've been advised ...
You : Who by? [Heh heh]
Them : I don't actually know.
You : ...

OTOH It may 'their policy' not to give out information and they may have
no obligation to do so - or they may.

--
PETER (EDWIN known as PROF) FOX
Not the same since the icecream business was liquidated

On 2007-03-13, Dave Larrington <[email protected]> wrote:
> In news:[email protected],
> Paul Boyd <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
>> On 12/03/2007 17:15, naked_draughtsman said,
>>> Nearly 2 weeks ago myself and another cyclist were nearly hit at a
>>> toucan crossing when a txi drove through while the lights were on
>>> red.

>> You must be mistaken. The only vehicles that jump red lights are
>> cyclists. It must be true because the national media says so. Car
>> drivers would never dream of jumping a red light.

> This morning at a set of traffic lights in Waltham Abbey. The lights go
> green, the car in front of me pulls away and Proceeds with decorum down the
> road. At which point a WVM, waiting at the lights on the left - which he
> had overhsot by the length of his vehicle - decided that he couldn't be
> arsed to wait any more, so pulled out acrros the path of both my bicycle and
> the car in the lane to my right. The driver of which made his vexation
> known, by use of the Audible Warning of Approach.

I must have seen the very same chap in Edinburgh as I was returning from
work at 1920 last Wednesday. Crossing Morningside from Cluny Gardens on a
green that had been that way for a good 10 seconds I was endangered by the
driver of a small grubby car that trundled through the junction heading north
up Morningside.

With his lights off. At about 12mph. I stopped in the middle of the junction
and looked Most Puzzled as he tootled off at less-than-blistering speed.
Conclusion: the guy was probably baked and was distracted by colours rather
more cosmic than those provided by traffic signals.

www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=55.9252&lon=-3.2095&scale=5000&icon=x

Regards,

-david