Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Review: Solidlights 1203d (long)

Started by Dane Buson · · Last activity · 212 posts · 5,451 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
7 September 2007
Last activity
20 September 2007
Original author
Dane Buson
Posts
212
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
5,451
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 201–212 of 212
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>,

    SMS said:

    I have three Bromptons, and none have dynamo lights. The cost and
    reliability makes it an unattractive option. I'd literally spend more
    on a hub dynamo wheel and lamp than the cost of the Brompton itself,
    since I got the Bromptons in Taiwan when Brompton was licensing the
    design ($225-$240 each, depending on the exchange rate at the time).

    A poor argument, Steven, given the nonstandard nature of much of the
    Brompton's design. While that's necessary to make it do what it does,
    it does create a number of problems with retrofitting things like
    generator hubs. However, bottle generators work just fine on Bromptons
    and are quite popular in the UK.

  2. SMS said:
    Andy M-S said:

    On Sep 18, 12:34 pm, SMS <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If you're going to use dynamo lights then you really want to carry a multimeter with you at all times to facilitate troubleshooting.

    Quoted message said:

    Oh, now THAT is ridiculous.

    Quoted message said:

    Up until this point, I had considered this a civil discussion, but
    that blows it out of the water. VOMs/VTVMs (or, if you prefer, DVMs)
    are desk tools for the most part. I certainly have never needed one
    to troubleshoot lights in the field!

    Obviously sarcasm is difficult to communicate on Usenet. Sorry.

    Anyway, given that the other poster couldn't go on his night ride and
    had to troubleshoot the dynamo lighting system at work the next day,
    it's not out of the realm of possibility to need to do have to do repairs.

    Quoted message said:

    I'd worry more about fancy battery systems; there's a place where you
    want to know what your voltage is.

    Actually you don't need to keep track of voltage on the fancy systems,
    they keep track of remaining capacity for you. On the non-fancy systems
    you want to keep track of time, and have an extra battery if you expect
    to be out longer than one battery will last.

    Quoted message said:

    But in either case, I'd plan on carrying some backup lighting...

    Very wise.

    Problem with some of the fanciest systems is that for reasons beyond
    my comprehension, the control electronics run off the same battery as
    the light head. The result is that when power drops below a certain
    level, the fancy electronics start doing Bad Things. Not unlike the
    Soviet Moon rocket (the N-1) they are overly complicated and sometimes
    shut things down while they still ought to be working...

  3. SMS said:

    Not selective at all. You were the one that brought up the problem with
    your dynamo lights.

    Oklay, so I'll bring up problems I've had with battery lights in the past...

    Quoted message said:

    How many non-techies have multimeters at work to
    diagnose the problem and fix it.

    Not very relevant, since I didn't use any info from the MM /to/ fix it.

    Quoted message said:

    It sounds like you never actually found
    the cause of the problem, you just did the usual stuff of checking and
    cleaning contacts and connections and bulbs. That's the problem with a
    lot of dynamo setups, there are just too many points of failure. That's
    one of the main reasons they're not used as much as in the past.

    Well, let's see, my first rechargeable battery setup first failed with a
    blown bulb, as has happened with dynamos too. Same problem, same cure.
    The next failure was another thing I've had go wrong with a dynamo
    setup too, which was a wiring break. Actually rather harder to fix
    neatly on the battery system with more captive leads. Switches can get
    dirty and lose contact on either and they're just as prone to problems
    on either, so again you're being very selective with your highlighting
    of problems.
    You can get rid of the wiring problems with internal cells, but you
    never see fit to mention that problem when endorsing separate
    rechargeables. And moving to LED from bulbs is just as relevant for
    generator setups as battery setups.

    So a typical Scharf performance of selective highlighting of problems on
    the things you're not so keen on, implying they won't happen to the
    things you are so keen on.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  4. Tue, 18 Sep 2007 14:28:27 +0100, Peter Clinch:

    Quoted message said:
    Peter Clinch said:

    I just like knowing I have my lights at the ready any time I get on my
    bike.

    Inna famous-last-words stylee, I got on the Brom for a local trip last
    night, and the front light didn't work... Changed the bulb, no joy, no
    immediately obvious wiring gotchas, dis/re assembled a few times to
    clean contacts, still no joy. So brought it in to work today and
    attacked it with the multimeter. Everything should work, so I put it
    back together and... it worked. <bof>

    Which type of headlight? If it's a classic round Lumotec the brass spring
    which makes contact to the center of the bulb might have beeb bent back.
    Use a small screwdriver to bend it a little to the front again.

    Rear light with double-wire connection? Check if it is connectec right -
    expecially ground contact at the head lamp connected with ground contact
    at the rear lamp.

    Quoted message said:

    So when dynamo setups do let you down they tend to do it in some degree
    of style. OTOH, a pal had a fuse go Foom on her battery charger unit
    earlier in the year, and left her similarly light free, so nothing's
    perfect!

    Lots of battery lights and gadgets are known for poor contacts. Some
    modern LED-flashlights or even battery powered LED-lights switch themself
    permanently off, if the battery looses contact while riding on rough
    terrain. You have to manually operate the switch to switch it on again.
    Problem is: Battery cells are heavy, contact springs are relative week...
    Even last weekend we had this kind of problem with our Garmin Etrex Vista
    GPS receiver - worth a few hundret Euro.

    Andreas

  5. In news:[email hidden],
    Andreas Oehler <[email hidden]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
    us:

    Quoted message said:

    Lots of battery lights and gadgets are known for poor contacts. Some
    modern LED-flashlights or even battery powered LED-lights switch
    themself permanently off, if the battery looses contact while riding
    on rough terrain. You have to manually operate the switch to switch
    it on again. Problem is: Battery cells are heavy, contact springs are
    relative week...

    Indeed. I have a Several of Cateye LED lights which all require a good
    thumping to get them to wake up afte rreplacing the flatteries.

    --
    Dave Larrington
    <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk>
    You can't have ham!

  6. Andreas Oehler said:

    Which type of headlight? If it's a classic round Lumotec the brass spring
    which makes contact to the center of the bulb might have beeb bent back.
    Use a small screwdriver to bend it a little to the front again.

    The Basta (looks a bit like a round Lumotec) that Brompton now supply as
    their standard front dynamo lamp. Was fine yesterday, I imagine just a
    contact problem.

    Quoted message said:

    Lots of battery lights and gadgets are known for poor contacts.

    I know that, and you know that, but Scharf is in denial about that...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  7. In article said:
    Alan Braggins said:

    But how many of those millions of people are fitting cheaper Shimano
    dynohubs into Bromptons, rather than standard width forks?

    Fair point: not many. Most just use bottles, and find them
    perfectly acceptable.

    Which is why I said "at least if you have to deal with the sort of
    slush where a bottle dynamo often slips". After all, you do have hub
    dynamos on several of your bikes for a good reason even if you do find
    the bottle acceptable on the 8-freight.

  8. Alan Braggins said:

    Which is why I said "at least if you have to deal with the sort of
    slush where a bottle dynamo often slips". After all, you do have hub
    dynamos on several of your bikes for a good reason even if you do find
    the bottle acceptable on the 8-freight.

    The primary reasons are no noise, no problems with bumping the mount and
    other such convenience and aesthetic reasons.

    A bottle can always be supplied with a serious wire-brush roller
    designed specifically for slush. I actually posses such a thing but
    have always found the variable spring tension adjustment on the basic
    B&M is quite sufficient to cope with slush so haven't had to try it.

    For regular riding in slush, I'd really say you can do better than a
    Brompton, never mind better than a bottle dynamo! (btw, the SON on my
    Brom is not an XS, 'cause they didn't exist when I bought it. Ben
    "Kinetics" Cooper spread the fork a little and it doesn't seem to have
    caused any problems).

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  9. Peter Clinch said:
    SMS said:


    Reliability wise, nothing beats an LED light that can run on AA
    batteries.

    Unsurprisingly, a remarkably selective piece of information from Scharf.
    I can remember more than one ride I've been on where AA powered LEDs
    used by more than one rider have run out of juice. At which point they
    weren't lights any more, so were very easy to beat.


    yup and as they don't come with battery meters it can be easy to run
    them flat.

    i do use them but on the commutor bike i have a number, low flying ufo
    to borrow wafflecats words. it would be better to have a dynmo system
    and probably that will get fitted at some point. it would be much more
    useful.

    snips

    Quoted message said:


    Pete.

    roger
    --
    www.rogermerriman.com

  10. Dave Larrington said:

    In news:[email hidden],
    Andreas Oehler <[email hidden]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
    us:

    Quoted message said:

    Lots of battery lights and gadgets are known for poor contacts. Some
    modern LED-flashlights or even battery powered LED-lights switch
    themself permanently off, if the battery looses contact while riding
    on rough terrain. You have to manually operate the switch to switch
    it on again. Problem is: Battery cells are heavy, contact springs are
    relative week...

    Indeed. I have a Several of Cateye LED lights which all require a good
    thumping to get them to wake up afte rreplacing the flatteries.

    Back when I had a lot less clue than now, I went and got a set of
    battery lights from Halfords, their own brand ones. They haven't worked
    since the first time I took them out when it was raining. It tends to do
    that a bit around here.

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

  11. Don Whybrow said:

    Back when I had a lot less clue than now, I went and got a set of
    battery lights from Halfords, their own brand ones. They haven't worked
    since the first time I took them out when it was raining. It tends to do
    that a bit around here.

    Yes, there are definitely a lot of sub-par lights in terms of quality of
    construction, though this spans both battery and dynamo lights. It's
    rather ironic that the only place to buy dynamo lights in most parts of
    the U.S. is at drug stores and hardware stores, you'll almost never see
    them in a bicycle shop. Of course these $10-20 toys are not going to
    work very well, i.e. "http://tinyurl.com/yvafzj".

    Don't buy bicycle lights at a store where they sell aspirin or paint.
    Except of course in Japan, where the department stores sell an amazing
    variety of bicycle accessories.

  12. SMS said:


    Yes, there are definitely a lot of sub-par lights in terms of quality of
    construction, though this spans both battery and dynamo lights.

    I imagine it also includes homebrew units. ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    It's
    rather ironic that the only place to buy dynamo lights in most parts of
    the U.S. is at drug stores and hardware stores, you'll almost never see
    them in a bicycle shop.

    It is ironic. It comes mostly from the fact that most bicycles in the
    US are used only as toys. Vehicles that are used for practical
    transportation have headlights that are always ready to use, no
    regular maintenance required. That includes no battery charging.
    (Can you imagine having to do that for your car's headlights?)

    Quoted message said:

    Of course these $10-20 toys are not going to
    work very well, i.e. "http://tinyurl.com/yvafzj".

    Some of them do. I set up a commuting bike for a person who I knew
    would never keep batteries charged or replaced. I put one of those
    inexpensive generators on. The only upgrade it needed was a halogen
    bulb to replace the stock vacuum bulb. It's lasted for, oh, about 8
    years now, I think.

    Quoted message said:

    Don't buy bicycle lights at a store where they sell aspirin or paint.
    Except of course in Japan, where the department stores sell an amazing
    variety of bicycle accessories.

    I was in Austria recently, and found a wide selection of bike
    generators available in a large car parts & bicycle parts store. And
    yes, they sold paint as well. Given the prices and brand names of the
    generators, I'm sure many of them were fine. Remember, this is a
    country where people know and use these devices regularly, for their
    transportation bikes.

    (I really hate to disagree with almost everything SMS says. IOW, I
    wish he were actually correct more often!)

    - Frank Krygowski

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.