General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Rhubarb Cake (Help, Please)

Started by Spitzmaus · · Last activity · 27 posts · 515 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 June 2006
Last activity
10 June 2006
Original author
Spitzmaus
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
515
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–27 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Squeezeweasel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Squeezeweasel said:

    >
    > Just make a plain yellow cake.

    Problem is, in the UK, a 'yellow cake' isn't something that exists in
    the vernacular. We've got sponge cakes, Victoria sponges, Madeira
    cakes, and God knows what else...but in years of baking from scratch
    from British cookery books, I've yet to come across anything describing
    itself as 'yellow', or anything that's sufficiently close to the crumb
    and flavour of a US boxed yellow cake mix. Something to do with the
    flour type, I think (I've had very different results cooking with US
    flour), and it's also very heavy on the vanilla essence.

    I've experimented a lot with this recipe, and it's my sad conclusion
    that a boxed cake mix is essential if you want it to be the very best
    it can.


    --<Snipped recipe and saved!>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    -Barb
    <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/29/2006, What They Did For Love
    "If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all."

    Brilliant! Thanks so much - this weekend's baking is now planned. Do
    you have any idea what is meant by 'cake flour'? In the UK we have
    three basic kinds; strong bread flour (which obviously isn't it), plain
    flour and self-raising flour.

    According to Victors FAQ it's self raising flour. I've made the cake with
    Tesco's cake mix but needed 2 as they're a bit skinny compared to US
    cakes!
    I just wanted to try 'the real thing' !
    Sarah

  2. "Sarah" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    According to Victors FAQ it's self raising flour.

    Check the dictionary on epicurious.com, search on
    flour:

    http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/how_to/food_dictionary/entry?id=2556

    nancy

  3. Squeezeweasel wrote on 09 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:


    Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Squeezeweasel said:

    >
    > Just make a plain yellow cake.

    Problem is, in the UK, a 'yellow cake' isn't something that exists
    in the vernacular. We've got sponge cakes, Victoria sponges,
    Madeira cakes, and God knows what else...but in years of baking
    from scratch from British cookery books, I've yet to come across
    anything describing itself as 'yellow', or anything that's
    sufficiently close to the crumb and flavour of a US boxed yellow
    cake mix. Something to do with the flour type, I think (I've had
    very different results cooking with US flour), and it's also very
    heavy on the vanilla essence.

    I've experimented a lot with this recipe, and it's my sad
    conclusion that a boxed cake mix is essential if you want it to be
    the very best it can.

    --
    www.gastronomydomine.com

    Here's from an old Pillsbury cook book -- a shower gift when I
    married 40 years ago. Instead of using two rounds, use one 9x13x
    2-1/2 or 3. Check the r.f.c. FAQ file for conversion info - I'm not
    up for doing it myself.

    Yellow Butter Cake - a scratch cake to use in the Rhubarb Custard
    Cake dessert

    2-2/3 cups sifted cake flour
    2-1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    3/4 cup butter
    1-3/4 cups sugar
    3 eggs
    1 cup milk (whole or 2%)
    1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract

    Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
    Grease and flour bottoms of two nine-inch layer pans. Sift flour
    with baking powder and salt. Cream butter in large mixing bowl.
    Gradually add sugar; cream at high speed of mixer until light and
    fluffy. At medium speed add eggs, one at a time, beating well after
    each. At low speed blend in sifted dry ingredients alternately with
    milk and vanilla extract, beginning and ending the dry ingredients.
    Mix well after each addition. Pour batter into pans. Bake at 350
    deg F for 35-40 minutes until cake is golden brown and springs back
    when lightly touched in center. Cool 15 minutes before removing
    from pans. --
    -Barb
    <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/29/2006, What They Did For
    Love "If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at
    all."

    Brilliant! Thanks so much - this weekend's baking is now planned. Do
    you have any idea what is meant by 'cake flour'? In the UK we have
    three basic kinds; strong bread flour (which obviously isn't it),
    plain flour and self-raising flour.

    Cake flour is less 'strong' than plain flour...That is it's gluten
    forming capibilities are less than plain flour...The fix for this is
    adding 1 tbsp of corn flour/starch to make 1 cup (I could be wrong). I
    believe the RFC FAQ has a means of converting plain flour to Cake flour.
    It isn't truely that important...Plain flour will work just fine. It just
    won't have quite the same crumb...So don't enter the cake in any contests
    or invite the queen over for tea.

    --
    -Alan

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Squeezeweasel said:

    Brilliant! Thanks so much - this weekend's baking is now planned. Do
    you have any idea what is meant by 'cake flour'? In the UK we have
    three basic kinds; strong bread flour (which obviously isn't it), plain
    flour and self-raising flour.

    Use plain. Cake flour here is made from soft wheat. It is NOT
    self-raising flour and it is NOT strong bread flour. Reduce the amount
    of the flour by 5 tablespoons. Common brand here is Softasilk (maybe
    you can research it to see what the specs are) by General
    Mills/Pillsbury.

    --
    -Barb
    <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/29/2006, What They Did For Love
    "If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all."

  5. Squeezeweasel said:

    Do you have any idea what is meant by 'cake flour'?

    From section 1.1 of the rfc FAQ:

    US all-purpose flour and UK plain-flour can be substituted for one
    another without adjustment. US cake flour is lighter than these. It is
    not used much anymore, but if it does come up, you can substitute
    all-purpose/plain flour by removing three tablespoons per cup of flour
    and replacing it with corn starch or potato flour.

    Victor

  6. zxcvbob said:

    S
    Use the plain flour.

    If this was a more delicate cake, you'd substitute cornstarch for a
    small amount of the plain flour to make cake flour. You can probably
    find the details in a substitution chart somewhere.

    A 3-egg cake sounds kind of rich and substantial compared to a box
    cake. I'd think you would want something lighter if a box cake mix
    is the gold standard for this. I was looking at 2-egg cake recipes
    yesterday and wondering if they would work or if they were too "cakey".

    Best regards,
    Bob


    I looked up a recipe in Rose Levy Berenbaum's book, and it called for 6
    egg yolks !!!

    This seems to defeat the purpose of the original recipe which, because
    you use the box cake mix, is blindingly quick and simple. Since I can't
    get American groceries without a considerable drive I think I'll just
    give the whole thing a miss.

    I think I'll just stick to the traditional sponge pudding mix - 100g
    butter, 100g caster sugar, 3 eggs and 100g SR flour. Tonight I'm going
    to apply it to a combination of apple and frozen mixed berries, and
    serve it with custard. The weather is really miserable, cold and
    overcast, we need comfort food.

    Christine

  7. Squeezeweasel said:


    Spitzmaus said:

    Someone in this newsgroup is famous for a rhubarb cake, but I've had a brain
    glitch and cannot recall who that person is. Bueller? Bueller? Anyone??

    A pointer to the recipe would be helpful as well . . .


    The name you're after is Barb Schaller. I blogged the cake with photos
    last year (used raspberries rather than rhubarb 'cos I couldn't get
    rhubarb in the UK in November, but the rhubarb version is the same and
    absolutely delicious). It's a fantastic, fantastic cake.

    http://www.gastronomydomine.com/2005/11/barb-schallers-famous-custard-cake.html

    Hope this helps!

    You must be developing quite a sweet tooth! That cake practically
    rotted my teeth out using rhubarb and raspberries would make it even
    sweeter.
    --

    Ham and eggs.
    A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.