General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Rice Cooker for One; fuzzy logic

Started by Gary · · Last activity · 6 posts · 187 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
22 May 2007
Last activity
22 May 2007
Original author
Gary
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
187
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Perhaps a person who has owned both the inexpensive simple on/warm
    electric rice cooker AND a fuzzy logic unit can help.

    I am single and only make 1 rice cup at a time. I've used the simple
    units for years. [National, Aroma, Betty Crocker]

    - Is the fuzzy logic rice cooker worth it for me? [Such as a
    Zojirushi]
    - Does the rice come out better in such a small amount?
    - How does it handle brown rice?
    - There are 5.5 cup fuzzy logic cookers at ~ $100 and some half that
    price. Is there a considerable difference in the units or are the
    less expensive ones adequate for a single person?
    - Would a 1-3 cup fuzzy logic cooker be more appropriate for me than a
    5.5 cup? [I probably should skip a 10 cup model]
    - Is there a difference between fuzzy logic neuro fuzzy logic and
    micom fuzzy logic?
    - Would less expensive fuzzy logic rice cookers such as Elite Pro,
    Tiger, or Sanyo be satisfactory?

    Who has some real experience that can provide some advice.

    Gary

  2. "Gary" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps a person who has owned both the inexpensive simple on/warm
    electric rice cooker AND a fuzzy logic unit can help.

    I am single and only make 1 rice cup at a time. I've used the simple
    units for years. [National, Aroma, Betty Crocker]

    - Is the fuzzy logic rice cooker worth it for me? [Such as a
    Zojirushi]
    - Does the rice come out better in such a small amount?
    - How does it handle brown rice?
    - There are 5.5 cup fuzzy logic cookers at ~ $100 and some half that
    price. Is there a considerable difference in the units or are the
    less expensive ones adequate for a single person?
    - Would a 1-3 cup fuzzy logic cooker be more appropriate for me than a
    5.5 cup? [I probably should skip a 10 cup model]
    - Is there a difference between fuzzy logic neuro fuzzy logic and
    micom fuzzy logic?
    - Would less expensive fuzzy logic rice cookers such as Elite Pro,
    Tiger, or Sanyo be satisfactory?

    Who has some real experience that can provide some advice.

    Gary

    I've both had and used many different rice cookers in my time. What I've
    found when you use the fancy-schmantzy rice cooker, you *can* keep rice warm
    and "fresh" for about a day and a half. After that, the rice dries out, it
    burns at the bottom of the cooker, it starts to turn pinkish in color and
    develops a rather stinky odor. The container is a PITB to clean, because
    the rice does stick, but the benefit with this kind of cooker is that you
    can cook larger quantities of rice at one time. (We had one in a small
    restaurant I worked at so that we didn't have to make rice daily.) Also,
    some cookers have a timer, so you can set it and wake up to freshly made
    rice (that may only apply to Hawaiians and Asians, though. <g>😉.

    OTOH, the cheap $40 cookers are smaller so if you eat rice often, you will
    be cooking more frequently. Most don't have a warming feature, requiring
    you to plan in advance about when to start the rice for your meal. The plus
    side, is you dump the rice out, soak the container and basically wipe it
    clean. There may be a little bit of sticking on the bottom, but not nearly
    as bad as the warming, high-fallutin' models.

    Then again, here's my method. Dump about a cup of rice in a pot. Cover the
    rice with water up to the knuckle of my thumb, cover the pot with a tight
    fitting lid, let the rice boil, as soon as it boils, lower the heat and
    simmer for 20 minutes, take off heat to rest for 10 minutes, uncover and
    serve.

    Hope this helps.

    kili

  3. Gary said:

    I am single and only make 1 rice cup at a time. I've used the simple
    units for years. [National, Aroma, Betty Crocker]

    I never make more than 1 cup of rice at a time and always have lots
    leftover.
    I use the pasta-boil method: 10 minutes full boil; drain and rinse
    with boiling
    water. If it's a furrin rice I rinse and sometimes let soak.

    I've bought 1 and 5 pound bags of Royal and Tilda basmati rice, but
    found a
    small bag of Tilda basmati mixed with wild rice at Fresh Market. Not
    an
    economical purchase, but the stuff was just short of miraculous. Takes
    a
    little longer on boil because of the wild rice, 20 minutes, but every
    grain had
    integrity, was dry and nutty, almost standing and marching onto the
    plates.
    Would have made great fried rice without chilling.

  4. Gary said:

    I am single and only make 1 rice cup at a time. I've used the simple
    units for years. [National, Aroma, Betty Crocker]

    I never make more than 1 cup of rice at a time and always have lots
    leftover.
    I use the pasta-boil method: 10 minutes full boil; drain and rinse
    with boiling
    water. If it's a furrin rice I rinse and sometimes let soak.

    I've bought 1 and 5 pound bags of Royal and Tilda basmati rice, but
    found a
    small bag of Tilda basmati mixed with wild rice at Fresh Market. Not
    an
    economical purchase, but the stuff was just short of miraculous. Takes
    a
    little longer on boil because of the wild rice, 20 minutes, but every
    grain had
    integrity, was dry and nutty, almost standing and marching onto the
    plates.
    Would have made great fried rice without chilling.

  5. Gary <[email hidden]> wrote in news:1179829742.213564.59580
    @x18g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps a person who has owned both the inexpensive simple on/warm
    electric rice cooker AND a fuzzy logic unit can help.

    I am single and only make 1 rice cup at a time. I've used the simple
    units for years. [National, Aroma, Betty Crocker]

    - Is the fuzzy logic rice cooker worth it for me? [Such as a
    Zojirushi]
    - Does the rice come out better in such a small amount?
    - How does it handle brown rice?
    - There are 5.5 cup fuzzy logic cookers at ~ $100 and some half that
    price. Is there a considerable difference in the units or are the
    less expensive ones adequate for a single person?
    - Would a 1-3 cup fuzzy logic cooker be more appropriate for me than a
    5.5 cup? [I probably should skip a 10 cup model]
    - Is there a difference between fuzzy logic neuro fuzzy logic and
    micom fuzzy logic?
    - Would less expensive fuzzy logic rice cookers such as Elite Pro,
    Tiger, or Sanyo be satisfactory?

    Who has some real experience that can provide some advice.

    Gary

    I have a cheapie, very little or no-logic rice cooker...A Black & Decker
    unit. Cost maybe 20-40 bucks, I don't remember. It will keep rice in warm
    cycle for up to a 2 hour limit. It works well when making 1 cup of raw
    rice into 3 cups cooked. The unit also has a non stick liner and maxes
    out at 5 cup max raw rice useage. Meets all my needs as a single person,
    who on ocassion has dinner guests. But it does create a brown skin on
    the rice that touches the non stick surface, which isn't that much of a
    hardship. Rice was always cooked to my liking, which is all I required.

    I use to use it a great deal to make 1 pot rice meals...such as 1 cup
    rice, 1 can cream of chicken and water to make up the 2 cups liquid,
    large cubes of raw chicken meat, mushrooms, diced carrot, various
    seasonings; stir and turn on the unit; then stir in a handful of frozen
    peas and a handful of frozen corn just before serving type meals.

    Made for a fast (around 17 minutes) 1 pot lazy man's meal with minimal
    effort and easy clean up. The non stick liner worked well if not totally
    effective. But I never left the rice cooker on more than about a 10
    minutes to a max of maybe 1 hour after use. It was used for cooking 1
    meal at a time and never for warm rice for a day or 2's meals.

    --

    The house of the burning beet-Alan

    It'll be a sunny day in August, when the Moon will shine that night-
    Elbonian Folklore

  6. "Gary" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps a person who has owned both the inexpensive simple on/warm
    electric rice cooker AND a fuzzy logic unit can help.

    I am single and only make 1 rice cup at a time. I've used the simple
    units for years. [National, Aroma, Betty Crocker]

    - Is the fuzzy logic rice cooker worth it for me? [Such as a
    Zojirushi]
    - Does the rice come out better in such a small amount?
    - How does it handle brown rice?
    - There are 5.5 cup fuzzy logic cookers at ~ $100 and some half that
    price. Is there a considerable difference in the units or are the
    less expensive ones adequate for a single person?
    - Would a 1-3 cup fuzzy logic cooker be more appropriate for me than a
    5.5 cup? [I probably should skip a 10 cup model]
    - Is there a difference between fuzzy logic neuro fuzzy logic and
    micom fuzzy logic?
    - Would less expensive fuzzy logic rice cookers such as Elite Pro,
    Tiger, or Sanyo be satisfactory?

    Who has some real experience that can provide some advice.

    Gary

    The Zojirushi web site may answer many of your questions.

    http://www.zojirushi.com/ourproducts/how_and_chart/howtochose_rice.html

    Their FAQ states in part:

    Since Zojirushi has been making rice cookers for over 30 years, we offer
    different types of rice cookers to suit everyone's needs. The basic models
    of electric rice cookers are the NHS and NS-PC-series rice cookers. These
    cook the rice and keep it warm. The larger size NHS models also come with
    steaming trays to steam vegetables, fish and other foods. The next family of
    rice cookers is the computerized rice cookers. They are the Micom (which
    stands for Micro Computerized), Micom Fuzzy, and Neuro Fuzzy® rice cookers.
    These rice cookers include micro computer chip technology and are programmed
    to adjust the heat and cooking time to the type and style of rice being
    cooked. The newest and most advanced Zojirushi rice cooker is the IH
    (Induction Heating) rice cooker, which utilizes advanced induction heating
    technology to heat up the whole inner cooking pan. It also has a special
    function for cooking GABA brown rice.

    Mitch

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.