General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Rice salad

Started by Pandora · · Last activity · 52 posts · 1,819 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
23 July 2005
Last activity
21 August 2005
Original author
Pandora
Posts
52
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,819
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–52 of 52
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Nancy1 said:
    Margaret Suran said:


    Most rice salads here, are made with wild rice, which is not rice at
    all, but delicious, nevertheless. Do you have wild rice in Italy? If
    not, I would be happy to send you some. :o)

    Are you speaking of "here" as in the U.S.? 'Cause I'm pretty durn old
    and have never, never, never had wild rice salad. It is so chewy, I'm
    suprised people like it for salad.

    Mix it half - and - half with white rice, the textures of each play
    pleasingly off each other...

    --
    Best
    Greg

  2. On Thu 18 Aug 2005 09:20:12a, Nancy1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:


    Margaret Suran said:


    Most rice salads here, are made with wild rice, which is not rice at
    all, but delicious, nevertheless. Do you have wild rice in Italy? If
    not, I would be happy to send you some. :o)

    Are you speaking of "here" as in the U.S.? 'Cause I'm pretty durn old
    and have never, never, never had wild rice salad. It is so chewy, I'm
    suprised people like it for salad.

    I use it mainly for soups.

    As to rice salad, I use a long-grain white rice - add olive oil; some
    smallish bits of broccoli flowerets, sliced ripe olives, bits of fresh
    tomato -

    N.

    I like rice salads made with ordinary white or brown rice, but wild rice is
    my very first choice for making a rice salad, and I don't care for it mixed
    with another rice. IME, most people don't seem to cook wild rice properly.
    It should be neither hard nor excessively chewy, nor should it be over-
    cooked and the grains "exploded" into mush.

    Years ago I mailordered a pound of wild rice and received a pamphlet of
    cooking tips with the package. I followed the cooking method that was
    recommended and I've been doing this ever since. My wild rice is always
    perfect.

    1. Place the rice in a heavy bowl and cover with boiling water at least 1
    inch above the rice. Cover tightly and allow to cool to room temperature.
    Drain the rice and repeat the procedure.

    2. Transfer the rice to a pot and cover with water or broth at least 1
    inch above the rice. If using water, salt lightly. Bring the rice to a
    gentle simmer uncovered until as tender as you prefer. The rice should not
    absorb all the cooking liquid. Note: This will not take as long to cook
    as simply boiling the rice because of the two pre-soaks, but age and size
    of the grain will affect cooking time.

    3. While rice is cooking, prepare any additions you plan to make; e.g.,
    sauteed onion or shallot, nut meats, dried fruit, etc.

    4. Drain rice thoroughly and return to pot. Add a plain or flavored oil
    or butter, and all the additions you've prepared. Reheat for serving as a
    hot side dish, or cool to room temperature to serve as a salad.

    HTH

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
    unless there are three other people.

    ---
    avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    Virus Database (VPS): 0533-3, 08/17/2005
    Tested on: 8/18/2005 10:56:39 PM
    avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
    http://www.avast.com

  3. Mr Libido Incognito said:


    biig wrote on 18 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    Last summer on our trip "out west", there were many places (along
    the
    highway) advertising wild rice. I wish now that we had bought some.
    Mostly in Manitoba....Sharon

    Wild Rice is cheapest at gas stations in these parts. Manitoba has many
    wild rice producing lake. We also supply bald eagles to re-stock the US.

    I recently bought a cookbook-let at a yard sale for 25 cents. It's
    all recipes for using wild rice. The dedication states that their
    father was a pioneer in the wild rice industry, who started marketing
    wild rice from the Lake of the Woods region 65 years prior (I don't see
    a date on the booklet). Now off to the grocery store to try to buy
    some.
    Sharon

    Quoted message said:

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.
    The ears keep the hat up.

  4. "biig" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mr Libido Incognito said:


    biig wrote on 18 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    Last summer on our trip "out west", there were many places (along
    the
    highway) advertising wild rice. I wish now that we had bought some.
    Mostly in Manitoba....Sharon

    Wild Rice is cheapest at gas stations in these parts. Manitoba has many
    wild rice producing lake. We also supply bald eagles to re-stock the US.

    I recently bought a cookbook-let at a yard sale for 25 cents. It's
    all recipes for using wild rice. The dedication states that their
    father was a pioneer in the wild rice industry, who started marketing
    wild rice from the Lake of the Woods region 65 years prior (I don't see
    a date on the booklet). Now off to the grocery store to try to buy
    some.
    Sharon

    Are you aware of the difference between cultivated wild rice and "wild" wild
    rice? I discovered this recently and there is a major difference. It's the
    same plant, but the cultivated stuff is dried with heat and the grains end
    up really dark. The naturally harvested stuff is more of a medium brown and
    is vastly superior in taste. More expensive too, of course! I order from
    www.christmaspoint.com

    Peter Aitken

  5. Peter Aitken wrote on 19 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    "biig" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mr Libido Incognito said:


    biig wrote on 18 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    > Last summer on our trip "out west", there were many places
    > (along the
    > highway) advertising wild rice. I wish now that we had bought
    > some. Mostly in Manitoba....Sharon
    >

    Wild Rice is cheapest at gas stations in these parts. Manitoba
    has many wild rice producing lake. We also supply bald eagles to
    re-stock the US.

    I recently bought a cookbook-let at a yard sale for 25 cents.
    It's
    all recipes for using wild rice. The dedication states that their
    father was a pioneer in the wild rice industry, who started
    marketing wild rice from the Lake of the Woods region 65 years
    prior (I don't see a date on the booklet). Now off to the grocery
    store to try to buy some.
    Sharon

    Are you aware of the difference between cultivated wild rice and
    "wild" wild rice? I discovered this recently and there is a major
    difference. It's the same plant, but the cultivated stuff is dried
    with heat and the grains end up really dark. The naturally harvested
    stuff is more of a medium brown and is vastly superior in taste.
    More expensive too, of course! I order from www.christmaspoint.com

    Peter Aitken

    The wild rice up here is hand picked...using canoes and paddles to knock
    the rice into the boat, from lakes that you can't drive into. And the
    lakes are protected wild rice lakes...no boats, fishing, camping, no
    access at all... unless you have permission of the indian band the lakes
    belong to. But all of the wild rice is taken to wild rice processing
    plants to be cleaned, dried and packaged. And I imagine the plant uses
    heat. Whatever that means. Up here we have around 100,000 lakes. Most are
    not even named on a map. Nobody planted this wild rice...it is a natural
    crop.

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.
    The ears keep the hat up.

  6. Peter Aitken said:

    "biig" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mr Libido Incognito said:


    biig wrote on 18 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    > Last summer on our trip "out west", there were many places (along
    > the
    > highway) advertising wild rice. I wish now that we had bought some.
    > Mostly in Manitoba....Sharon
    >

    Wild Rice is cheapest at gas stations in these parts. Manitoba has many
    wild rice producing lake. We also supply bald eagles to re-stock the US.

    I recently bought a cookbook-let at a yard sale for 25 cents. It's
    all recipes for using wild rice. The dedication states that their
    father was a pioneer in the wild rice industry, who started marketing
    wild rice from the Lake of the Woods region 65 years prior (I don't see
    a date on the booklet). Now off to the grocery store to try to buy
    some.
    Sharon

    Are you aware of the difference between cultivated wild rice and "wild" wild
    rice? I discovered this recently and there is a major difference. It's the
    same plant, but the cultivated stuff is dried with heat and the grains end
    up really dark. The naturally harvested stuff is more of a medium brown and
    is vastly superior in taste. More expensive too, of course! I order from
    www.christmaspoint.com

    Peter Aitken


    Thanks for this information, Peter. I wasn't aware of the difference
    and am going to buy from the web site to check it out.

    TammyM

  7. biig said:


    Mr Libido Incognito said:


    biig wrote on 18 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    Last summer on our trip "out west", there were many places (along
    the
    highway) advertising wild rice. I wish now that we had bought some.
    Mostly in Manitoba....Sharon

    Wild Rice is cheapest at gas stations in these parts. Manitoba has many
    wild rice producing lake. We also supply bald eagles to re-stock the US.

    I recently bought a cookbook-let at a yard sale for 25 cents. It's
    all recipes for using wild rice. The dedication states that their
    father was a pioneer in the wild rice industry, who started marketing
    wild rice from the Lake of the Woods region 65 years prior (I don't see
    a date on the booklet). Now off to the grocery store to try to buy
    some.
    Sharon

    Back from the grocery....no wild rice, only "long grain and wild", so
    tomorrow I go to the bulk food store....Sharon

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.
    The ears keep the hat up.

  8. biig wrote on 19 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    Back from the grocery....no wild rice, only "long grain and wild", so
    tomorrow I go to the bulk food store....Sharon

    careful at the bulk food stores....the wild rice there is not that
    good...loads of broken kernels. My guess is it is all the scooping busts
    them up.

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.
    The ears keep the hat up.

  9. Mr Libido Incognito wrote on 8/19/2005:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    careful at the bulk food stores....the wild rice there is not that
    good...loads of broken kernels. My guess is it is all the scooping busts
    them up.

    Where I buy in bulk, there are few products that you scoop. The great
    majority, including various rices, are stocked in large plastic
    containers with a slideable spout on the bottom - I assume to keep
    customers' mitts out of them.

  10. Mr Libido Incognito said:


    biig wrote on 19 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    Back from the grocery....no wild rice, only "long grain and wild", so
    tomorrow I go to the bulk food store....Sharon

    careful at the bulk food stores....the wild rice there is not that
    good...loads of broken kernels. My guess is it is all the scooping busts
    them up.

    --

    Well I got my rice....5.99 a lb. It looked pretty good..not many
    broker kernels. I'll try a couple of recipes with it at the first of
    the week......
    sharon

    Quoted message said:

    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.
    The ears keep the hat up.

  11. biig wrote on 20 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:
    Mr Libido Incognito said:


    biig wrote on 19 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    Back from the grocery....no wild rice, only "long grain and
    wild", so
    tomorrow I go to the bulk food store....Sharon

    careful at the bulk food stores....the wild rice there is not that
    good...loads of broken kernels. My guess is it is all the scooping
    busts them up.

    --

    Well I got my rice....5.99 a lb. It looked pretty good..not many
    broker kernels. I'll try a couple of recipes with it at the first
    of the week......
    sharon

    Quoted message said:

    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.
    The ears keep the hat up.


    Things to remember...Wild rice needs to cook longer than reg rice.

    A tasty mixed rice recipe is usually 3 parts of long grain rice to 1 part
    wild rice. Cook them seperately and combine after cooking. Add whatever
    you like. I like diced onion and mushrooms added to the long grain before
    cooking. Some times I like to add sliced pepperoni or crumbled bacon to
    the wild after cooking.

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.
    The ears keep the hat up.

  12. Kevin_Sheehy said:

    Mr Libido Incognito wrote on 8/19/2005:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    careful at the bulk food stores....the wild rice there is not that
    good...loads of broken kernels. My guess is it is all the scooping busts
    them up.

    Where I buy in bulk, there are few products that you scoop. The great
    majority, including various rices, are stocked in large plastic
    containers with a slideable spout on the bottom - I assume to keep
    customers' mitts out of them.

    I'd never buy a product that you had to scoop out of a bin, too
    filthy...likewise I've never ate out of those bowls of bar snax that some
    places have sitting out.

    --
    Best
    Greg

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.