You might have heard the phrase "ride to work day". Usually it's a call
for people to ride their cycles to work, typically bi-cycles or
motor-cycles. Well, I don't ride TO work, because it's a 20 mile
commute and even if I had the time the route is too dangerous for
cyclists.
So I ride AT work. I've mentioned before that I usually have one of my
unicycles with me in the truck, (I'm a truck driver), in case a ride
opportunity presents itself. I even have a growing list of spots that
work frequently puts me near, so I get to ride these places a few times
a year. Belle Isle is one such place.
Yesterday I found myself doing deliveries in Detroit, (yeah, on Sunday,
it happens sometimes in this job), and with enough time between the
last two appointments to park the truck on the island and ride. I
didn't have the coker, (damn it why didn't I think to bring the
coker!), but I had the 24" municycle. Good enough. I rode around the
western tip of the island. I wanted to do a complete circuit of the
island, about 5 miles, but I was wearing down after two miles and took
a shortcut back to the truck, reaching the three and a half mile mark,
according to 'gmap pedometer' (http://www.gmap-pedometer.com).
It is a beautiful place to ride, and near the western portion of the
island there are great views of downtown Detroit. Along the southern
side you see Windsor, Ontario, and if you're lucky some Great Lakes
freighters gliding up or down stream. The weather was brisk, about 35
degrees Fahrenheit, and a bit windy. It was exhilarating!
Here's the gmap pedometer satellite image of my ride (zoomed out enough
to see Detroit and Windsor):
[image:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2111/2045376617_46553ae080_o.jpg]
Riding during lulls on the job has become a vital source of physical
and mental therapy for me. One thing I forgot since the last time I
rode here: the tire gets full of goose [censored]. Makes it a bit gross
putting back into my car at the end of the day.
--
idiorythmic
------------------------------------------------------------------------
idiorythmic's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12653
View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65794
Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
----------------------------------------------------------
** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.usenet.com