Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Riding over bridge grating - PHOBIA

Started by Ez Biker :-\) · · Last activity · 29 posts · 3,385 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
23 March 2003
Last activity
26 March 2003
Original author
Ez Biker :-\)
Posts
29
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,385
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–29 of 29
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Robert, to be honest, I'd be happy with a sidewalk designed for cyclists on these Florida DEATH TRAP
    Bridges! Clearly, FDOT (Florida Department Of Transportation) never had 2-wheeled traffic in mind,
    when they built the draw bridges here. EZ Biker :-) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti & Tailwind Pilot)

    "Robert Haston" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Florida has the worst bike and ped safety record in the nation.

  2. Dave as much as it's a problem for recumbent bicycles (With a lot of the weight being more to the
    back) I truly MARVEL at how DF cyclists can make it over these bridge gratings with even thinner
    tires (700 or 650 X 20, 21, 22, 23?) and with their PSI being sometimes over 130+ PSI. Also the way
    DF cyclists, ride so upright, just would be as un-nerving to me, as ever. I've even witnessed a
    cyclist, just going down, for no apparent reason on a slick road on the white shoulder marking, so I
    can just imagine, the EVEN MORE probability it would happen on a grated bridge. EZ Biker :-) Pompano
    Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti & Tailwind Pilot)

    "DStra999" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Subject: Re: Riding over bridge grating -

    thanks for the warning. I would not have suspected that this situation


    would be

    Quoted message said:

    additionally hazardous on my recumbent. However, I have to admit in dry conditions on my DF I like
    riding a relatively short span of the grate and looking down...sort of like flying...like the kid
    in ET Dave

  3. I found a description of what has been done on bridges on a Toronto bike trail:

    city.toronto.on.cait006.htm

    I am surprised no one from Chicago has chimed in. Chicago has lift bridges over the river and there
    seems to be a one woman campaign to make these safer.

    kangarooconnection.comBadBridges.html

    John Riley

  4. Thanks for the e-mails and the additional info John! Your info is really helping me, in preparing
    and putting together the NEED, to make our Florida Bridges safer! EZ (Phobic of Bridge Grating)
    Biker :-((( Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti & Tailwind Pilot)

    "John Riley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I found a description of what has been done on bridges on a Toronto bike


    trail:

    Quoted message said:



    city.toronto.on.cait006.h tm

    Quoted message said:


    I am surprised no one from Chicago has chimed in. Chicago has lift bridges over the river and
    there seems to be a one woman campaign to make these safer.

    kangarooconnection.comBadBridges.html

    John Riley

  5. EZ, Check this link. Scroll down there is a section on bridges
    bicyclefriendlycommunity.orgtech.htm This one has links to specific community/state
    plans, including Fla: bicyclinginfo.orgexemplary.htm bill g

    EZ Biker :-) said:

    Thanks for the e-mails and the additional info John! Your info is really helping me, in preparing
    and putting together the NEED, to make our Florida Bridges safer! EZ (Phobic of Bridge Grating)
    Biker :-((( Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti & Tailwind Pilot)

    "John Riley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I found a description of what has been done on bridges on a Toronto bike


    trail:

    Quoted message said:



    city.toronto.on.cait006.h tm

    Quoted message said:


    I am surprised no one from Chicago has chimed in. Chicago has lift bridges over the river and
    there seems to be a one woman campaign to make these safer.

    kangarooconnection.comBadBridges.html

    John Riley

  6. Thanks Bill g! I've added your links to my pending website folder. Since I posted my initial thread
    on this bridge issue, I've received EXTRAORDINARY response from numerous people, including a fellow
    NG poster, John Riley. Thanks to you all and PLEASE, keep the responses and link info COMING!!! EZ
    (Phobic of Bridge Grating) Biker :-((( Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti & Tailwind Pilot)

    "bg" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    EZ, Check this link. Scroll down there is a section on bridges
    bicyclefriendlycommunity.orgtech.htm This one has links to specific community/state
    plans, including Fla: bicyclinginfo.orgexemplary.htm bill g

    EZ Biker :-) said:

    Thanks for the e-mails and the additional info John! Your info is really helping me, in
    preparing and putting together the NEED, to make our


    Florida

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Bridges safer! EZ (Phobic of Bridge Grating) Biker :-((( Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti & Tailwind
    Pilot)

    "John Riley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I found a description of what has been done on bridges on a Toronto


    bike

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    trail:

    Quoted message said:




    city.toronto.on.cait006.h

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    tm

    Quoted message said:


    I am surprised no one from Chicago has chimed in. Chicago has lift bridges over the river and
    there seems to be a one woman campaign to make these safer.

    kangarooconnection.comBadBridges.html

    John Riley

  7. I have to agree with the suggestion to simply walk the bike over these bridges. It's not exactly a
    hardship...this isn't the Tour De France we are discussing. The particular span mentioned is
    familiar to me, as I have crossed it and its cohorts hundreds of times...while pedaling and walking.
    Even without the grate issue, many of the draw bridges in SE Florida are too heavily used by
    motorized traffic to allow for safe bicycle passage, except perhaps on a slow Sunday morning.

    Do I feel "entitled" to the road space at all times? No, of course not. I'm operating a slow moving
    vehicle (quite slow in my case) and I feel obliged to move over whenever prudent. This would include
    walking over narrow bridges, using bike lanes, riding single file...

    Some might feel that walking is somehow "cheating", or less than serious...God forbid a club rider
    might see you! If so, then a bridge crossing can serve as a rest stop instead. "I'm not pushing the
    bike, I'm taking a food break."

  8. I propose that we re-name this thread!

    Webster: Phobia; an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object,
    class of objects, or situation

    I suggest that a fear of this grating is not exaggerated, inexplicable or illogical. I suggest that
    instead, your sense of self-preservation is functioning well.

    :-)

  9. John Riley <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I found a description of what has been done on bridges on a Toronto bike trail:

    city.toronto.on.cait006.htm

    I am surprised no one from Chicago has chimed in. Chicago has lift bridges over the river and
    there seems to be a one woman campaign to make these safer.


    The difference is, Chicago has that darned judge's ruling that bicycles are not the "primary
    intended users," therefore the roads and bridges don't have to be made to accomodate them. I would
    think a hungry lawyer would be a good asset in this case, if all other avenues fail. Allowing a
    condition to exist which is known to cause injuries on a continuing basis would be grounds for
    liability. Money from a big class-action settlement would go half to bicycle projects and half to
    shark, I mean, lawyer.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.