Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Rim failure. Common?

Started by K2 · · Last activity · 71 posts · 1,650 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 November 2005
Last activity
28 November 2005
Original author
K2
Posts
71
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,650
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 71
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Ron Ruff said:
    Quoted message said:


    Couldn't "switch wheels" mean they get used wheels installed? Maybe the
    mechanics will check them out and put them back into circulation again
    later (after the tour)?


    I'm pretty sure the mechanics check the wheels thoroughly after *every*
    race. It would theoretically make sense to put "rejects" into a pile to
    be reworked/rebuilt later... but I don't think that is what they do.

    Anyway, I found the post I've been talking about. Here is a reprint:

    ------------------------------------

    By the way, I was fortunate to get to ride in one of the Discovery team
    cars
    during a stage of the '05 Tour de France, with one of their two
    mechanics in
    the back seat. I asked him about the way they clean their bikes; seems
    like
    customers see photos of them hosing down the bikes, which I know for a
    fact
    wrecks bearings. So how do their wheels stand up to that sort of abuse
    (during the bike cleaning)? Turns out they don't need to; they
    typically
    replace their wheels every 500 miles or so. Why? Because they can. Why
    bother with bearing maintenance (you've probably seen the old films
    showing
    a mechanic tearing apart hubs, bottom brackets & headsets every single
    day)
    when you can just treat them as a disposable item? Boggles the mind.
    I'd
    sure like to be the guy who gets the "old" wheels...

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    ------------------------------------------

    In a prior life long ago, when steel was real, I worked as a team bike
    mechanic. One of the duties was washing bikes. We always took the
    wheels off prior to hosing off the bike, like as in this pic:

    http://www.uspsprocycling.com/features/mech.htm

    The wheels were always washed apart from the bike, with stiff nylon
    bristle brushes and soapy water. If you look at that pic carefully you
    see the blue crates with soapy water. Each wheel would take no more
    than 15 seconds to clean that way, and there was little chance the hub
    bearings would be subjected to water. Notice there are at least 4
    bikes being cleaned in a similar fashion in the pic.

    When you really think logically about it, Mike's account doesn't hold
    up. Bike mechanics have always hosed down bikes for cleaning. If they
    replace (as in DISPOSE) wheels due to water/bearing damage, why don't
    they change out the BB and headset then?? Why don't they just use
    disposable bikes?

    When mechanics say "replace" they don't mean "dispose." They mean
    replace as in "wheel change." We had wheels for different
    weather/terrain conditions, which accounts for why a small bike team
    whould need such a large number of wheels. We'd replace wheels
    depending on race day conditions. (Ridden) replaced wheels get
    refurb'ed later, to use another day.

  2. damyth said:
    Ron Ruff said:
    damyth said:

    Ron Ruff wrote:

    >Of course it would be nice if they lasted a bit longer... but someone
    >made a post to this NG a few months back, stating that a mechanic from
    >Discovery said that they replaced wheels every few races... I think it
    >was 3 or 4.

    Umm, that wasn't my recollection of that thread. I believe the thread
    to which you refer to was talking about average tire lifespan for the
    pro circuit, not wheels.

    No, it was certainly wheels... I can't seem to find it now, though...

    No, you're certainly conflating tire lifespan to wheel lifespan (scroll
    to the bottom of the link):
    http://www.velonews.com/tour2005/tech/articles/8584.0.html

    [snip]

    http://tinyurl.com/9ku46

    I thought the same but it really seems they change *wheels* very often,
    not only tires.

  3. Stephen Greenwood said:

    Can you please describe the method you use to determine the thickness
    of the rim sidewall? I have a precision caliper, but the hook that
    retains the tire bead prevents a direct measurement. I can see how this
    problem would be overcome with a micrometer whose anvil and spindle are
    smaller than the sidewall height. Is there another way to make this
    measurement, without such a micrometer?

    Take a piece of wire or metal or something about 1.5-3mm thick,
    measure it with the caliper, then lay it where the bead would go
    and measure the sum of rim wall thickness plus wire.

  4. Lou D'Amelio said:

    All nonsense. The history of this wheel suggests that spoke tension was
    improper and it pulled through. Rims last tens of thousands of road
    miles (less with sidewall wear if you ride in rain/crud often).

    unfortunately this type of failure is common (cracks around the spoke
    holes, possibly leading to a spoke pulling through).

    almost all the shallow cross section rear rims i've had in the last few
    years (Open Pro, Reflex, Ritchey all 32H) have failed in this way,
    probably for the reasons which have been discussed for a long time on
    r.b.t.

    i don't see any common unanodized rims, though velocity does make
    powder coated ones.

  5. damyth said:


    When you really think logically about it, Mike's account doesn't hold
    up. Bike mechanics have always hosed down bikes for cleaning. If they
    replace (as in DISPOSE) wheels due to water/bearing damage, why don't
    they change out the BB and headset then??


    As I take it, bearing damage wasn't the *reason* why the wheels were
    replaced... the mechanic was just stating that since the wheels were
    replaced after 500 miles anyway, it was unnecessary to worry about
    getting water in the bearings.

    Maybe you are right, though... maybe Mike misunderstood. Still seems
    strange that they'd be carrying around 20+ wheels for each rider...

    Quoted message said:

    Why don't they just use disposable bikes?

    They probably replace those every 1000 miles....

    I'd wager that Trek is able to get a advertising tax write off for more
    than it costs them to build the wheels... so they have no incentive to
    make them last. In that case it is a simple matter of decided what the
    most simple and cost effect interval is, and they've determined that
    500 miles with no rebuilding is the optimum solution.

    On a smaller, lower budget team the economics could be *very*
    different...

  6. "Stephen Greenwood" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Typically, several months ago I noticed the brakes had worn my front
    MA-2 thin (<0.5mm) so I looked in my stack of rims that people had

    Can you please describe the method you use to determine the thickness
    of the rim sidewall? I have a precision caliper, but the hook that
    retains the tire bead prevents a direct measurement.

    These tools, while not common, are available. Essentially you have a
    caliper (mine is vernier, but I'm sure there are dial and digital models
    made) which has a hooked end. Failing that, the simple way is to place a
    small section of keystock against the inside of the rim wall and measure the
    combination, then deduct the keystock - just like weighing the cat.

  7. Stephen Greenwood said:

    Can you please describe the method you use to determine the thickness
    of the rim sidewall? I have a precision caliper, but the hook that
    retains the tire bead prevents a direct measurement. I can see how this
    problem would be overcome with a micrometer whose anvil and spindle are
    smaller than the sidewall height. Is there another way to make this
    measurement, without such a micrometer?

    Put a ¼" or similar size ball bearing on inside of rim do the
    measurement and add the bearing width. I use a caliper.

  8. jobst.brandt said:

    Stephen Greenwood writes:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Typically, several months ago I noticed the brakes had worn my
    front MA-2 thin (<0.5mm) so I looked in my stack of rims that
    people had

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Can you please describe the method you use to determine the thickness
    of the rim sidewall? I have a precision caliper, but the hook that
    retains the tire bead prevents a direct measurement. I can see how this
    problem would be overcome with a micrometer whose anvil and spindle are
    smaller than the sidewall height. Is there another way to make this
    measurement, without such a micrometer?

    Quoted message said:

    I don't. I know when the hollow cheeks of an MA-2 are deep enough to
    no longer serve safely. I can feel that with my "calibrated finger
    tips applied in the shape of a caliper brake. Laying a straight edge
    across the brake track will make visible how deep the wear is. The
    wall was originally 1.5mm and 0.5mm is the limit. every rim is
    probably different.

    Rim dimensions (especially sidewall to sidewall) used to be published in
    brochures and service manuals, so measurements could be checked against
    that. But of course you should be able to tell by brake wear.

    Another thing I've noticed -- as rims approach their minimum thickness,
    barely detectable bulges form at the spoke holes. These are too small to
    measure, but they can be seen as the light reflects off them differently.

    Matt O.

  9. Matt O'Toole said:
    jobst.brandt said:

    Stephen Greenwood writes:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >Typically, several months ago I noticed the brakes had worn my
    >front MA-2 thin (<0.5mm) so I looked in my stack of rims that
    >people had

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Can you please describe the method you use to determine the thickness
    of the rim sidewall? I have a precision caliper, but the hook that
    retains the tire bead prevents a direct measurement. I can see how this
    problem would be overcome with a micrometer whose anvil and spindle are
    smaller than the sidewall height. Is there another way to make this
    measurement, without such a micrometer?

    Quoted message said:

    I don't. I know when the hollow cheeks of an MA-2 are deep enough to
    no longer serve safely. I can feel that with my "calibrated finger
    tips applied in the shape of a caliper brake. Laying a straight edge
    across the brake track will make visible how deep the wear is. The
    wall was originally 1.5mm and 0.5mm is the limit. every rim is
    probably different.

    Rim dimensions (especially sidewall to sidewall) used to be published in
    brochures and service manuals, so measurements could be checked against
    that. But of course you should be able to tell by brake wear.

    Another thing I've noticed -- as rims approach their minimum thickness,
    barely detectable bulges form at the spoke holes. These are too small to
    measure, but they can be seen as the light reflects off them differently.

    I've noticed that the rim sidewalls start to slant from vertical. I
    usually also eyeball the gap (concave surface) when I put a metal
    straightedge along the wall.

  10. Matt O'Toole said:
    jobst.brandt said:

    Stephen Greenwood writes:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >Typically, several months ago I noticed the brakes had worn my
    >front MA-2 thin (<0.5mm) so I looked in my stack of rims that
    >people had

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Can you please describe the method you use to determine the thickness
    of the rim sidewall? I have a precision caliper, but the hook that
    retains the tire bead prevents a direct measurement. I can see how this
    problem would be overcome with a micrometer whose anvil and spindle are
    smaller than the sidewall height. Is there another way to make this
    measurement, without such a micrometer?

    Quoted message said:

    I don't. I know when the hollow cheeks of an MA-2 are deep enough to
    no longer serve safely. I can feel that with my "calibrated finger
    tips applied in the shape of a caliper brake. Laying a straight edge
    across the brake track will make visible how deep the wear is. The
    wall was originally 1.5mm and 0.5mm is the limit. every rim is
    probably different.

    Rim dimensions (especially sidewall to sidewall) used to be published in
    brochures and service manuals, so measurements could be checked against
    that. But of course you should be able to tell by brake wear.

    Another thing I've noticed -- as rims approach their minimum thickness,
    barely detectable bulges form at the spoke holes. These are too small to
    measure, but they can be seen as the light reflects off them differently.

    I've noticed that the rim sidewalls start to slant from vertical. I
    usually also eyeball the gap (concave surface) when I put a metal
    straightedge along the wall.

  11. Peter Cole said:
    Quoted message said:

    Rim dimensions (especially sidewall to sidewall) used to be
    published in brochures and service manuals, so measurements could
    be checked against that. But of course you should be able to tell
    by brake wear.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Another thing I've noticed -- as rims approach their minimum
    thickness, barely detectable bulges form at the spoke holes. These
    are too small to measure, but they can be seen as the light
    reflects off them differently.

    In the days of dark anodized sidewalls, this was visible as bare areas
    where the anodizing wore off faster than between spokes, giving a
    shadow pattern on the brake path.

    Quoted message said:

    I've noticed that the rim sidewalls start to slant from vertical. I
    usually also eyeball the gap (concave surface) when I put a metal
    straight edge along the wall.

    I don't think that is what it appears to be. The hollow cheeks make
    that appear so but I measured cast off worn rims and found them to
    have the same dimensions as new ones. The certainly look that way but
    appearances can deceive.

    Jobst Brandt

  12. Quoted message said:

    Couldn't "switch wheels" mean they get used wheels installed? Maybe the
    mechanics will check them out and put them back into circulation again
    later (after the tour)?

    The 'science of lance armstrong' documentary said that they get new wheels
    every couple of stages, which would be twice a week.

    Jasper

  13. Quoted message said:

    Peter Cole <[email hidden]> writes:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've noticed that the rim sidewalls start to slant from vertical. I
    usually also eyeball the gap (concave surface) when I put a metal
    straight edge along the wall.

    I don't think that is what it appears to be. The hollow cheeks make
    that appear so but I measured cast off worn rims and found them to
    have the same dimensions as new ones. The certainly look that way but
    appearances can deceive.

    Did you measure them with a tyre in place? They could be deforming
    elastically rather than plastically.

    Jasper

  14. Jasper Janssen said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've noticed that the rim sidewalls start to slant from vertical.
    I usually also eyeball the gap (concave surface) when I put a
    metal straight edge along the wall.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I don't think that is what it appears to be. The hollow cheeks
    make that appear so, but I measured cast off worn rims and found
    them to have the same dimensions as new ones. They certainly look
    that way but appearances can deceive.

    Quoted message said:

    Did you measure them with a tyre in place? They could be deforming
    elastically rather than plastically.

    If that were the case, they would crack in a hurry. Consider the
    change in lateral force as the wheel passes the road contact point.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/rim-support.html

    Jobst Brandt

  15. Jasper Janssen said:
    Quoted message said:

    Couldn't "switch wheels" mean they get used wheels installed? Maybe the
    mechanics will check them out and put them back into circulation again
    later (after the tour)?

    The 'science of lance armstrong' documentary said that they get new wheels
    every couple of stages, which would be twice a week.

    Jasper

    Sigh....

    I don't know whether Team Discovery get brand spanking new wheels ever
    two wheels or not. But if you put two and two together, I'd wager they
    don't get brand spanking new wheels every two weeks. What they do get
    are brand spanking new TIRES every week, at the minimum.

    Pros still ride on tubulars almost exclusively despite any marketing
    claims to the contrary. That means in order to get new tires you
    REPLACE wheels. That doesn't say the wheel is brand spanking new.

    As every mechanic knows, glue on tubulars takes time to cure. And you
    don't want to glue tubulars on bare new rims if you can avoid it, as
    the old substrate actually helps to provide better adhesion. What pros
    have are a "pool" of wheels, with various types of tires (pre)glued on,
    depending on course conditions. No mechanic wants to hand a pro a
    wheel with tires glued on from the previous night.

    It's a common occurrence to change wheels every day. That does not
    mean the wheels are brand spanking new every time. It does mean that
    the tires are new.

    Observer: How often do you change tires?
    Mech: We don't keep track of tires (we use tubulars), but we change
    wheels all the time (due to course/weather conditions). But at the
    minimum we change over the whole team's wheels every two weeks.

    I believe this is the "proper" interpretation.

  16. Da Myth (appropriately named) said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Couldn't "switch wheels" mean they get used wheels installed?
    Maybe the mechanics will check them out and put them back into
    circulation again later (after the tour)?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The 'science of Lance Armstrong' documentary said that they get new
    wheels every couple of stages, which would be twice a week.

    Quoted message said:

    Sigh....

    Here, take this tissue and don't drip on the KBD.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't know whether Team Discovery get brand spanking new wheels
    ever two wheels or not. But if you put two and two together, I'd
    wager they don't get brand spanking new wheels every two weeks.
    What they do get are brand spanking new TIRES every week, at the
    minimum.

    Quoted message said:

    Pros still ride on tubulars almost exclusively despite any marketing
    claims to the contrary. That means in order to get new tires you
    REPLACE wheels. That doesn't say the wheel is brand spanking new.

    Quoted message said:

    As every mechanic knows, glue on tubulars takes time to cure. And
    you don't want to glue tubulars on bare new rims if you can avoid
    it, as the old substrate actually helps to provide better adhesion.
    What pros have are a "pool" of wheels, with various types of tires
    (pre)glued on, depending on course conditions. No mechanic wants to
    hand a pro a wheel with tires glued on from the previous night.

    From this I take it Myth does not ride tubulars or at least never
    learned how to mount them. It's much like patching tires, the glue
    goes on, it is allowed to dry and the tire is mounted and pumped up
    hard. There is so much myth and lore about tubulars and stories like
    these keep all that alive for those who never lived in the days when
    there were not other reasonable tires other than tubulars..

    Quoted message said:

    It's a common occurrence to change wheels every day. That does not
    mean the wheels are brand spanking new every time. It does mean
    that the tires are new.

    Quoted message said:

    Observer: How often do you change tires?
    Mech: We don't keep track of tires (we use tubulars), but we change
    wheels all the time (due to course/weather conditions). But at the
    minimum we change over the whole team's wheels every two weeks.

    Quoted message said:

    I believe this is the "proper" interpretation.

    Sounds like a belief all right. Don't make this stuff up and pass it
    on as fact.

    Jobst Brandt

  17. Quoted message said:
    Da Myth (appropriately named) said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Couldn't "switch wheels" mean they get used wheels installed?
    > Maybe the mechanics will check them out and put them back into
    > circulation again later (after the tour)?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The 'science of Lance Armstrong' documentary said that they get new
    wheels every couple of stages, which would be twice a week.

    Quoted message said:

    Sigh....

    Here, take this tissue and don't drip on the KBD.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't know whether Team Discovery get brand spanking new wheels
    ever two wheels or not. But if you put two and two together, I'd
    wager they don't get brand spanking new wheels every two weeks.
    What they do get are brand spanking new TIRES every week, at the
    minimum.

    Quoted message said:

    Pros still ride on tubulars almost exclusively despite any marketing
    claims to the contrary. That means in order to get new tires you
    REPLACE wheels. That doesn't say the wheel is brand spanking new.

    Quoted message said:

    As every mechanic knows, glue on tubulars takes time to cure. And
    you don't want to glue tubulars on bare new rims if you can avoid
    it, as the old substrate actually helps to provide better adhesion.
    What pros have are a "pool" of wheels, with various types of tires
    (pre)glued on, depending on course conditions. No mechanic wants to
    hand a pro a wheel with tires glued on from the previous night.

    From this I take it Myth does not ride tubulars or at least never
    learned how to mount them. It's much like patching tires, the glue
    goes on, it is allowed to dry and the tire is mounted and pumped up
    hard. There is so much myth and lore about tubulars and stories like
    these keep all that alive for those who never lived in the days when
    there were not other reasonable tires other than tubulars..

    Quoted message said:

    It's a common occurrence to change wheels every day. That does not
    mean the wheels are brand spanking new every time. It does mean
    that the tires are new.

    Quoted message said:

    Observer: How often do you change tires?
    Mech: We don't keep track of tires (we use tubulars), but we change
    wheels all the time (due to course/weather conditions). But at the
    minimum we change over the whole team's wheels every two weeks.

    Quoted message said:

    I believe this is the "proper" interpretation.

    Sounds like a belief all right. Don't make this stuff up and pass it
    on as fact.

    What specifically are you claiming that I "made up?" I don't know
    what you're taking issues, so I can't address them. If you're more
    specific. Are you contending that a mechanic would hand a rider a
    freshly glued on tire? That there isn't a pool of wheels with tires
    already glued on? That it's better to use a new rim every time you
    have a tire change? What?

    Quoted message said:

    Jobst Brandt

  18. Da Myth (appropriately named) said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Pros still ride on tubulars almost exclusively despite any
    marketing claims to the contrary. That means in order to get new
    tires you REPLACE wheels. That doesn't say the wheel is brand
    spanking new.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    As every mechanic knows, glue on tubulars takes time to cure. And
    you don't want to glue tubulars on bare new rims if you can avoid
    it, as the old substrate actually helps to provide better
    adhesion. What pros have are a "pool" of wheels, with various
    types of tires (pre)glued on, depending on course conditions. No
    mechanic wants to hand a pro a wheel with tires glued on from the
    previous night.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    From this I take it Myth does not ride tubulars or at least never
    learned how to mount them. It's much like patching tires, the glue
    goes on, it is allowed to dry and the tire is mounted and pumped up
    hard. There is so much myth and lore about tubulars and stories
    like these keep all that alive for those who never lived in the
    days when there were not other reasonable tires other than
    tubulars.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It's a common occurrence to change wheels every day. That does
    not mean the wheels are brand spanking new every time. It does
    mean that the tires are new.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Observer: How often do you change tires?
    Mech: We don't keep track of tires (we use tubulars), but we
    change wheels all the time (due to course/weather conditions).
    But at the minimum we change over the whole team's wheels every
    two weeks.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I believe this is the "proper" interpretation.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Sounds like a belief all right. Don't make this stuff up and pass
    it on as fact.

    Quoted message said:

    What specifically are you claiming that I "made up?"

    The dodge "I believe" is from your imagination as is the rest of your
    tubular use and wheel service, although it is made to sound like an
    eye witness account.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't know what you're taking issues, so I can't address them. If
    you're more specific. Are you contending that a mechanic would hand
    a rider a freshly glued on tire? That there isn't a pool of wheels
    with tires already glued on? That it's better to use a new rim
    every time you have a tire change? What?

    The implication of "freshly glued" and what that means is the same as
    the rest of your story. A freshly glued tire is as good as one that's
    been on the rim for days if it has been done correctly. The way you
    say that you try to make it sound like the tire is on a layer of fresh
    wet glue out of the tube.

    The leading question:

    "Are you contending that a mechanic would hand a rider a freshly glued
    on tire?"

    is classic for these romantic tubular tales. What I said about
    mounting tubular tires is unambiguously stated above.

    You're dodging!

    Jobst Brandt

  19. Quoted message said:
    Da Myth (appropriately named) said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Pros still ride on tubulars almost exclusively despite any
    > marketing claims to the contrary. That means in order to get new
    > tires you REPLACE wheels. That doesn't say the wheel is brand
    > spanking new.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > As every mechanic knows, glue on tubulars takes time to cure. And
    > you don't want to glue tubulars on bare new rims if you can avoid
    > it, as the old substrate actually helps to provide better
    > adhesion. What pros have are a "pool" of wheels, with various
    > types of tires (pre)glued on, depending on course conditions. No
    > mechanic wants to hand a pro a wheel with tires glued on from the
    > previous night.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    From this I take it Myth does not ride tubulars or at least never
    learned how to mount them. It's much like patching tires, the glue
    goes on, it is allowed to dry and the tire is mounted and pumped up
    hard. There is so much myth and lore about tubulars and stories
    like these keep all that alive for those who never lived in the
    days when there were not other reasonable tires other than
    tubulars.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > It's a common occurrence to change wheels every day. That does
    > not mean the wheels are brand spanking new every time. It does
    > mean that the tires are new.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Observer: How often do you change tires?
    > Mech: We don't keep track of tires (we use tubulars), but we
    > change wheels all the time (due to course/weather conditions).
    > But at the minimum we change over the whole team's wheels every
    > two weeks.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I believe this is the "proper" interpretation.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Sounds like a belief all right. Don't make this stuff up and pass
    it on as fact.

    Quoted message said:

    What specifically are you claiming that I "made up?"

    The dodge "I believe" is from your imagination as is the rest of your
    tubular use and wheel service, although it is made to sound like an
    eye witness account.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't know what you're taking issues, so I can't address them. If
    you're more specific. Are you contending that a mechanic would hand
    a rider a freshly glued on tire? That there isn't a pool of wheels
    with tires already glued on? That it's better to use a new rim
    every time you have a tire change? What?

    The implication of "freshly glued" and what that means is the same as
    the rest of your story. A freshly glued tire is as good as one that's
    been on the rim for days if it has been done correctly. The way you
    say that you try to make it sound like the tire is on a layer of fresh
    wet glue out of the tube.

    Read what I wrote. I wrote "no mechanic wants to hand a pro a tire
    glued on the previous night." I didn't say or imply that a tire that
    has been glued for say 2 weeks has better adhesion than one that has
    only been glued by one week. I *did* imply you don't want to use a
    newly glued-on tire if less than 1 day has passed, if you can avoid it.
    There is no question in my mind you don't want to use a tire if it's
    been glued on less than one day.

    Howat also address curing time in this study. I am not qualified to
    comment how valid it is.
    http://www.engr.ku.edu/ktl/bicycle/Part5.pdf
    http://www.engr.ku.edu/ktl/bicycle/Part6.pdf

    When I said "I believe" I was referring to various comments made by
    representatives of Discovery Team, as I cited earlier:
    http://www.velonews.com/tour2005/tech/articles/8584.0.html

    And as to wheel change due to conditions, you can find substantiation
    here:
    http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=8201
    "...After the race all the bikes are washed, checked over and oiled,
    tyres are changed and often the wheels are changed.he amount of work
    and changes depends on whether the following day's stage is on a flat
    course or a mountain course. There are three types of wheels, one for
    bad weather and two sets of carbons, one for the mountains and one for
    the flat. This means that you can be changing wheels every day
    depending on the course and weather. [I now realise why the organisers
    always supply the teams with a weather forecast for the following
    day.]"

    Tell me again how I'm dodging.

    Quoted message said:

    The leading question:

    "Are you contending that a mechanic would hand a rider a freshly glued
    on tire?"

    is classic for these romantic tubular tales. What I said about
    mounting tubular tires is unambiguously stated above.

    You're dodging!

    Jobst Brandt

  20. Da Myth (appropriately named) said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> Pros still ride on tubulars almost exclusively despite any
    >> marketing claims to the contrary. That means in order to get
    >> new tires you REPLACE wheels. That doesn't say the wheel is
    >> brand spanking new.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> As every mechanic knows, glue on tubulars takes time to cure.
    >> And you don't want to glue tubulars on bare new rims if you can
    >> avoid it, as the old substrate actually helps to provide better
    >> adhesion. What pros have are a "pool" of wheels, with various
    >> types of tires (pre)glued on, depending on course conditions.
    >> No mechanic wants to hand a pro a wheel with tires glued on from
    >> the previous night.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > From this I take it Myth does not ride tubulars or at least never
    > learned how to mount them. It's much like patching tires, the
    > glue goes on, it is allowed to dry and the tire is mounted and
    > pumped up hard. There is so much myth and lore about tubulars
    > and stories like these keep all that alive for those who never
    > lived in the days when there were not other reasonable tires
    > other than tubulars.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> It's a common occurrence to change wheels every day. That does
    >> not mean the wheels are brand spanking new every time. It does
    >> mean that the tires are new.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> Observer: How often do you change tires? Mech: We don't keep
    >> track of tires (we use tubulars), but we change wheels all the
    >> time (due to course/weather conditions). But at the minimum we
    >> change over the whole team's wheels every two weeks.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> I believe this is the "proper" interpretation.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Sounds like a belief all right. Don't make this stuff up and
    > pass it on as fact.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What specifically are you claiming that I "made up?"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The dodge "I believe" is from your imagination as is the rest of
    your tubular use and wheel service, although it is made to sound
    like an eye witness account.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I don't know what you're taking issues, so I can't address them.
    If you're more specific. Are you contending that a mechanic would
    hand a rider a freshly glued on tire? That there isn't a pool of
    wheels with tires already glued on? That it's better to use a new
    rim every time you have a tire change? What?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The implication of "freshly glued" and what that means is the same
    as the rest of your story. A freshly glued tire is as good as one
    that's been on the rim for days if it has been done correctly. The
    way you say that you try to make it sound like the tire is on a
    layer of fresh wet glue out of the tube.

    Quoted message said:

    Read what I wrote. I wrote "no mechanic wants to hand a pro a tire
    glued on the previous night." I didn't say or imply that a tire that
    has been glued for say 2 weeks has better adhesion than one that has
    only been glued by one week. I *did* imply you don't want to use a
    newly glued-on tire if less than 1 day has passed, if you can avoid
    it. There is no question in my mind you don't want to use a tire if
    it's been glued on less than one day.

    I see you don't use tubulars or you wouldn't defer to other's hearsay
    evidence. You are giving your interpretation to something you
    apparently don't know much about yourself. Rolled tires are not a
    major problem with riding tubulars. Tires generally roll when a tire
    goes flat in a curve, at which time it doesn't matter anyway if the
    wheel is sling sideways.

    In all the years of riding tubulars with my bikie friends, I cannot
    recall a single rolled tire that didn't occur from a flat and those
    were probably two or three in twenty years. The tire rolling fear
    comes from people who don't use tubulars as a regular part of their
    riding or those who belatedly took them up to be different.

    Quoted message said:

    Howat also address curing time in this study. I am not qualified to
    comment how valid it is.
    http://www.engr.ku.edu/ktl/bicycle/Part5.pdf
    http://www.engr.ku.edu/ktl/bicycle/Part6.pdf

    Quoted message said:

    When I said "I believe" I was referring to various comments made by
    representatives of Discovery Team, as I cited earlier:
    http://www.velonews.com/tour2005/tech/articles/8584.0.html

    Well? Is that how we should be getting authoritative information about
    using tubular tires? I don't think so.

    Quoted message said:

    And as to wheel change due to conditions, you can find
    substantiation here:

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=8201

    Quoted message said:

    "...After the race all the bikes are washed, checked over and oiled,
    tyres are changed and often the wheels are changed.he amount of work
    and changes depends on whether the following day's stage is on a
    flat course or a mountain course. There are three types of wheels,
    one for bad weather and two sets of carbons, one for the mountains
    and one for the flat. This means that you can be changing wheels
    every day depending on the course and weather. [I now realise why
    the organisers always supply the teams with a weather forecast for
    the following day.]"

    Quoted message said:

    Tell me again how I'm dodging.

    This begins to sound more and more like a book report. You are
    dodging because you don't know the answers but are guessing based on
    the various sources you seem to have dug up.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The leading question:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "Are you contending that a mechanic would hand a rider a freshly
    glued on tire?"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    is classic for these romantic tubular tales. What I said about
    mounting tubular tires is unambiguously stated above.

    You're still dodging!

    Jobst Brandt

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.